Darkroot basin query!

karchun
    Casual
    Casual

Darkroot basin query!

Post by karchun on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Is that snake thingy in the water at the bottom of darkroot gardens the hydra and if so how the hell do i kill it!!!??!! I put my shield up too test my defence with full havel and my hp goes down fairly quick...

Also can some1 tell me what's after the gates guarded by those blue dragons at the valley of drakes?

Warrior SL 67 ~

Sorcerer SL 53

Pyro SL 19
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Re: Darkroot basin query!

Post by Whknight on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Yes it is the Hydra and after you get close enough, it shall move into melee range and attack. New Londo, they are the floodgates.

I don't always bask in the sun, but when I do I am grossly incandescent!

XBL(Silver) - Whknight009

Swift and True! Become a member of the Helpers Brigade!

Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 pm

karchun wrote:Is that snake thingy in the water at the bottom of darkroot gardens the hydra and if so how the hell do i kill it!!!??!! I put my shield up too test my defence with full havel and my hp goes down fairly quick...

Also can some1 tell me what's after the gates guarded by those blue dragons at the valley of drakes?

i guess you already know how to deal with the crustal giants.
    so lets skip to hydra

you dont need havels for this fight, just wear the rusted ring so you remain mobile in case you go into deep water and make sure you can roll so you avoid the magic waves. Crest shield is advisable here (if you have havels set i suppose you have it by now). Go and position yourself right where the water starts and wait with your shield raised. If it shoots magic at you, dodge it, if the heads come hammering down on you, block them and then hit them quickly as soon as they are on the ground, opt for a swinging weapon so you dont miss them easily. Key here is to lower your shield between each of hydras attacks so you have enough stamina to either roll the magic or block the heads. After you chop off some heads the fight becomes super easy, and you can even finish her easily with a bow, as she is within lock-on range. Just be careful not to fall in the deep water and die.

after you kill the hydra dont foget to rezone and go to the area of the lake behind and left of the hydra for a surprise...

karchun
    Casual
    Casual

Post by karchun on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Robotech wrote:
    karchun wrote:Is that snake thingy in the water at the bottom of darkroot gardens the hydra and if so how the hell do i kill it!!!??!! I put my shield up too test my defence with full havel and my hp goes down fairly quick...

i guess you already know how to deal with the crustal giants.
    so lets skip to hydra

you dont need havels for this fight, just wear the rusted ring so you remain mobile in case you go into deep water and make sure you can roll so you avoid the magic waves. Crest shield is advisable here (if you have havels set i suppose you have it by now). Go and position yourself right where the water starts and wait with your shield raised. If it shoots magic at you, dodge it, if the heads come hammering down on you, block them and then hit them quickly as soon as they are on the ground, opt for a swinging weapon so you dont miss them easily. Key here is to lower your shield between each of hydras attacks so you have enough stamina to either roll the magic or block the heads. After you chop off some heads the fight becomes super easy, and you can even finish her easily with a bow, as she is within lock-on range. Just be careful not to fall in the deep water and die.

after you kill the hydra dont foget to rezone and go to the area of the lake behind and left of the hydra for a surprise...

Well i do have pretty much all of what you assume just not the rusted ring?? (wheres that at)

and when you mean dodge the hydra waves ... how - they seem to chuck a mass of it making it almost impossible to dodge ... And basically do you mean (Block +attack) till dead? 👽

Warrior SL 67 ~

Sorcerer SL 53

Pyro SL 19
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Return visit to the undead Asylum, if you remember your first visit there was a locked door at the top where you jumped down to kill the demon. There is a key on the way back up and the ring is behind the door.

Yes, they tend to hit the same areas so finding a spot they don't hit helps also.

karchun
    Casual
    Casual

Post by karchun on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Whknight wrote:Return visit to the undead Asylum, if you remember your first visit there was a locked door at the top where you jumped down to kill the demon. There is a key on the way back up and the ring is behind the door.

Yes, they tend to hit the same areas so finding a spot they don't hit helps also.

How do i return to there again??? lol!

I'm seriously a complete noob!

Warrior SL 67 ~

Sorcerer SL 53

Pyro SL 19
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:41 pm

I try and not spoil stuff. Take the elevator from Firelink to Parish, near the Firelink section you'll see a small ledge you can walk to as it's moving, hang to the right and you'll see a pilliar you can roll on. Follow the path/stairs up (stay to the outside parts of the church as you near the nest) and curl into a ball to be transported. Key is ontop of the building Petrus is in.

befowler

Post by befowler on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:57 pm

It is good to know how to get back to the asylum (watch out for the floor in the big open area where you fought the Asylum Demon on the way out, btw), but you don't need the rusted ring to kill the Hydra in darkroot basin. My recommendation is to use lighter equipment so you can move quickly, to dodge the water attacks, and use maybe the DGWR or havels ring.

What I do is start at the bonfire in the bottom of the basin, past the halberd knight (at the bottom of the long winding path that starts up near the first couple of ents near Andre the blacksmith). Head towards the hydra and pull the golems one at a time with a bow, and kill them. Then slowly walk towards the hydra, using trees and the terrain to block its long distance water projectiles. It is better to avoid those than block them, as they do a lot of damage even with a shield and the splash effect seems to also often hit you from the sides even if you try to block forward.

The whole time the Hydra is spraying these at you, it should be very slowly moving towards you across the lake. Confirm that it is. Once it gets a bit closer to shore, run (literally sprint) down along the right side of the shore, in the area where there is a corpse with an object (which is the knight set). Do NOT go into the water, as there is a fatal dropoff just a few steps from shore. Instead, keep your shield up and dance around a bit to get the Hydra to switch to melee attacks with its head. There will be safe spots in its attack pattern, find them, then hit the adjacent heads when they land in the ground next to you. Depending on your weapon, it may take a few swings. Work around lopping off all the heads and you win. Alternately, lop off several so you are in a big safe zone, then switch to arrows and start shooting the hydra in the body. Be careful about getting under/behind the heads when they hit the ground, as when they withdraw they may drag or knock you into the water and past the dropoff. You will need a fair amount of estus likely, so get at least 10 flasks from Firelink via the parish elevator, or kindle the bonfire in the basin. Also upgrade your flask if possible, as you may need to quickly heal between salvos of water before you get close to the lake.

If you decide to fight the Hydra on the left side of the lake, that is where you will need the Rusted Ring. There is a much bigger flat area near the waterfall where you can stand in the water. But I avoid the water entirely due to several crazy deaths at the dropoff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:12 am