Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
densetsushun
Acarnatia
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Raem
Siegfried.
Barnission
JohnnyHarpoon
RNsunbro
Shkar
DissidentCitizen
Spurgun
Fallen Angelus
wartime-wonders
SEANB240
bla
ublug
DoughGuy
User
Carphil
WyrmHero
Serious_Much
Emergence
26 posters

Linking Internal and External Lore: Norse, Arthurian, and Etymology in Dark Souls

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Linking Internal and External Lore: Norse, Arthurian, and Etymology in Dark Souls - Page 6 Empty Re: Linking Internal and External Lore: Norse, Arthurian, and Etymology in Dark Souls

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Pris could definitely be hel. I likened the witch of izalith to loki earlier but Seath is intriguing as well. Good stuff
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Linking Internal and External Lore: Norse, Arthurian, and Etymology in Dark Souls - Page 6 Empty Re: Linking Internal and External Lore: Norse, Arthurian, and Etymology in Dark Souls

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:53 pm

The problem here is everyone betrayed Gwyn, so they're all Loki silly
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Lol, pretty much. Arguments amongst gods are common in lore and it looks like Dark Souls is no exception
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:53 am

Odin gave Hel to Hel. He as the one who made her the ruler of the realm.

There isn’t really much about Jörmungandr, Lokis other son. He was the "world serpent" he was so long that he stretched around the earth and started eating his own tail. And the world would end when he let go of it. His arch enemy was Thor, Odins first son.
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Re-reading The Divine Comedy in an attempt to connect it to DS lore. You know it has to be connected, right?
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:57 pm

What is the divine comedy?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:01 pm

A story about hell that popularized the idea of tiers rather than a single general populace if I recall correctly. Only read excerpts of that. Can't wait to hear results
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Where can you read it?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:09 pm

It's public on any number of sites and public domain so any method of download is legal I believe
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:12 pm

I just looked on Amazon. About thirty listings, lol. Some charge for the privilege of it being translated. Many are free though. Anyone charging is a scam
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks.

I’ll try to find more in the norse mythology, i was very interested in it before.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:21 pm

My personal favorite is the crows but that was a stretch. That's one of the pantheons I studied more when I was younger and I'm kinda empty unless something jogs my memory. It's always intrigued me though that most major religions have their main God as sun or lightning driven. Guess we know what man respects most I guess. I might have to dig into Egyptian at some point. Thought of Gwyn as Odin or zeus already but not ra. The sun connection might be just as pronounced as lightning
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:30 pm

I have a translation by Mark Musa that is fantastic. Already in the first couple of Cantos I can see (maybe) connections to Gwynevere, and Oscar and there is also a character named Beatrice that plays a huge roll.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Damn you. Off to put it on my phone's kindle app now
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Like everything else that's been listed here, the connection to DS is a mixture of several things but TDC is looking like an influence.
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Also noticed something else: from the intro, the VO says "... But then there was fire." or something to that effect.

Do you suppose there is a Prometheus-style character somewhere in the DS lore? Who actually gave fire to the world?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:47 am

Haha Shkar and i had a big debate about that. We couldnt figure it out.
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 am

I mean, you'd have to think so, right? In that case he/she would be trapped on a rock somewhere where the giant Crow comes and pecks out its liver every day only to have it regenerate again in the morning.

So, the dude's liver is also afflicted with the Dark Sign.
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Divine Comedy connection:

Dante the Poet refers to himself as the "Chosen Vessel" one who, granted sufficient grace for his journey through hell, will strengthen the faith of Man.

In Canto II, I can maybe see a parallel to Gwynevere. Dante the Pilgrim is lost and wandering in a "Dark Wood." The Virgin Mary (Gwynevere?) looks down from heaven and takes pity on the Pilgrim. She sets in motion a series of events that culminate with Beatrice journeying to Limbo to see the poet Virgil (Oscar?) and seek his assistance in locating Dante the Pilgrim. Virgil then locates Dante and acts as his guide through hell.

I'm maybe readin too much into this but Oscar of Astora definitely guides you through various places in Lordran and once you reach Anor Londo Gwynevere/ Gwyndolin definitely seems to indicate that they'd set events in motion that brought you to them.

I'll keep reading...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Beatrice to Limbo? Beatrice is the only one besides Artorias who is confirmed to have been in the Abyss. I just finished the first Canto last night and no obvious connections from what I could tell but the story really hasn't begun at that point.
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Right. Canto I is like an over view of the entirety of the Divine Comedy. Canto II actually begins the first portion of Inferno.

But Beatrice, right? That's pretty neat.

Also just read this in the third canto describing Charon the ferryman:

"...whose eyes were set in glowing rings of fire."

Sounds like the Dark Sign to me. And the eyes of the Hollows throughout Lordran.

Also, the first group of sinners that Virgil and Dante meet inside hell are those who lived neither a good nor bad life; those who refused to act when they were alive. They're not actually in the city of hell itself but outside it.

To me that description sounds very much like the Crestfallen Warrior who, plagued with fear and indecision, refuses to act and simply sits at Firelink Shrine.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Or even the burg. They're just warriors hanging out. No exceptional allegiance defined one way or the other. New Londo might be even better for persons. They didn't join a military and they didn't or couldn't act to save the city.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:26 pm

So I was talking with Dan in the Skype Chat about Gwyn's relation to the Serpents, his chest plate featuring one similar to Ornstein's armor representing a lion. And I remembered something.

Arabian, and Islamic beliefs. See, in their older views they believed in a giant serpent that was massive and seemingly endless in length. It fears only one being and that is the creator, Allah. Now, this Serpent would swallow everything, all of existence if not for Allah. So it is associated with gluttony. The place it lives in is considered a void, a limitless abyss where it reigns supreme and no being can traverse. This serpent is named Falak, and exists below the world in a realm below the great fish Bahomet that holds the world on top of it. So, it is below a lake. The realm it is under, is the Realm of fire. So it exists below a place where fire reigns supreme.

Anyone else already notice this?
    DissidentCitizen
    DissidentCitizen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DissidentCitizen Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 pm

No, I never noticed but that's legitimate. Seems the guys at FROM are well versed in pretty much all forms of mythology from around the globe.

Good find.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm

English Translation by Muhammad Shameem, Mohammad Wali Raazi and Muhammad Taqi Usmani:
    Say, “I seek refuge with the Lord of the daybreak from the evil of everything He has created, and from the evil of the dark night when it penetrates, and from the evil of the women who blow on the knots, and from the evil of an envier when he envies. “
    English Translation by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall:
    Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of Daybreak From the evil of that which He created; From the evil of the darkness when it is intense, And from the evil of malignant witchcraft, And from the evil of the envier when he envieth.
    English Translation by Yusuf Ali: .
    Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn From the mischief of created things; From the mischief of Darkness as it overspreads; From the mischief of those who practise secret arts; And from the mischief of the envious one as he practises envy.

Different translations also of Al-Falaq from the Qu'ran, named after Falak the serpent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm