Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
aceluby
Rynoa
Serious_Much
skarekrow13
8 posters

I don't usually "What if" but....what if......

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

I don't usually "What if" but....what if...... Empty I don't usually "What if" but....what if......

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:37 am

As the topic suggests this is a "what if" topic for the game. I don't usually do this but I thought of something I thought would be cool. Here goes.....

I noticed that sorcery and miracles both have weapon buffs but pyromancy is left in the cold (which they can warm nicely at least). So what if......

Instead of a true buff, it was possible, via an expenditure of souls and maybe a material item RESINS could be upgraded like weapons/armor? I think a high entry point (like +3 chaos covenant rank) would be a good idea as some resins can be pretty potent on their own.

So something like....
    Charcoal pine resin + souls + Black firebomb (or humanity perhaps?) = Chaos Resin (scales with humanity, no additional damage unless invested in humanity)

Rotten pine resin + souls + Blooming Purple Moss = Toxic resin (obvious upscale)

Gold pine resin + souls + Breastanite chunk = Something better with lightning. More damage is perhaps too much but perhaps a limited projectile attack like Dragonslayer spear. Gives you 3-5 shots with R2 and damages your weapon significantly

Or.....

Maybe turning rare consumables into completely new resins. For instance.....

Purging stone = Petrified Pine resin (causes curse build up)

Lloyd's talisman = Rusty pine resin (causes lockjaw, preventing the ability to drink estus)

Eye of death = Last meal pine resin (weapon becomes ethereal, causing NO damage but has a build up meter to cause death)

Egg vermifuge = Parasitic pine resin (hits cause parasite build up leading to egg head status)

Pendant = Sodium pentathol resin (causes game developers to give out secrets)

Homeward bone (not rare I know) = Separation pine resin (another metered resin, enough hits will send a phantom home against their will, hitting a host prevents summoning phantoms).
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

I don't usually "What if" but....what if...... Empty Re: I don't usually "What if" but....what if......

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:41 am

I don't like the idea :|

This is verging on a sort of alchemy which im not sure would be implemented.

However I do agree with you, pyro really needs a weapon buff. However it should be weaker than the Sorcery and Faith buffs as you dont need to invest stat points in. Maybe something like 200-250 extra fire damage?
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

I don't usually "What if" but....what if...... Empty Re: I don't usually "What if" but....what if......

Post by Rynoa Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 am

I agree with Serious, but I like the Pendant idea silly
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:13 am

Let's not forget that we do get power within that is not only a weapon buff, but also a miracle/sorc/pyro buff as well. I honestly don't think pyro guys should get another buff.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:59 am

This is true and Power Within is pretty awexome if used right. Also, because Pyromancers don't need to invest in int/faith like the other magics, there's more room to invest in Strength or Dexterity to up base damage before the buff.

This idea was more of a "cool thought" than actual game wish as I rarely use any buff as it is. I just like modifying stuff. I like my joke ideas better than the serious ones. I do actually like the idea but would be worried greatly about balance if it were to be implemented. The primary reason I gave this a second thought is comparing resins to say......Sunlight blade buff. The resins are kind of garbage compared to this and/or CMW and Darkmoon. But with my point above plus a "garbage" resin, it can be about even with someone invested in faith/int. with a better buff.

Serious, you don't like alchemy? I dare you to not have fun catching butterflies and collecting mushrooms in Skyrim for hours on end to make a grand total of three or four potions. If you recant I will share my recipe for my infamous "Gin and Tonic" potion for Oblivion (magic damage, cold damage, paralysis and poison in one swipe) winking I will also share the formula with anyone who can guess where the name comes from. Ok not really.....I think the recipe was on my phone that ended up in the washer.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 pm

sorry skarkrow, im afraid i just havent played skyrim (even on oblivion i gave up on alchemy too silly)

But i dont think a buff from pyro would be a bad idea if it was sufficiently weak for it not to imbalance the magics, but strong enough to make it viable past charcoal and pine resin.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Lol...yeah. That was kinda the idea actually. Make the resins just a little bit better. Rotten resin is only ok for psyching people out but if you're close enough to ANYTHING to poison it with a sword, the battle will probably be over too fast to worry about counting by threes. This is on top of the time it takes to poison in the first place. And as far as psychological war goes, poison knives and arrows do the job pretty fast already with less commitment to being "near" your target. I completely gave up on charcoal and attuned sunlight blade just in case I feel the need.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 pm

power within? is a flat 40% damage increase not good enough? crappy on small weapons yeah, but its more powerful and last longer on large/very large weapons. esp as it doesn't increase ar so the damage cant be mitigated. ever seen a power within+murakumo in action? 2 hits. killed me in 2 hits.

though technically its a self buff. which actually makes it more crazy because it allows slb or cmw to be paired with it.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 pm

I just want them to implement a Fire Blade pyromancy which acts like sunlight blade/magic weapon except slightly weaker, but stronger than resin.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Power within is DEFINITELY good enough but like everything in the game, with some good inventory management/leveling it can be used by anyone. So power within, switch to catalyst, sunlight blade buff.....etc. I concede the point that Pyro gets an "everything" buff while the other magics don't and provides balance. Again, the thread was kinda meant to be "I think upgrading resins would be neat (Nito?)" and pyromancy makes sense since they don't have a weapon buff and alchemy is kinda like magic. Plus, beside charcoal and rotten, there aren't fire/poison buffs and these are both linked to pyro and underpowered in resin form. Sunbros being able to upgrade resins would be just as cool in my opnion or WoW since they literally seem to have no benefits in the game. Maybe the ultimate WoW power would be to use a kindled fire to refine resins.

To be fair I don't want to see any changes, although I would be sure to buy any DLC.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:10 pm

@op, I think those are some fantastic ideas. Genuinely inspired, even. I was trying to pick one out above the others, but (other than the pendant joke) every one of them seems better than the last. The harder they'd be to obtain, the better, or maybe there could be a limit of having just one-at-a-time in your inventory or something. Man, I really want to throw some Chaos Resin on my Balder Side Sword now.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:08 pm

sounds cool! my latest what if was what if there was a spell/miracle/pyromancy that created an anti poise area around you negating all poise including your own. but this might work with your idea better via a poise redcung resin (hypersensitivity resin?) also an acid resin would be cool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm