Backstabs - As they relate to Fight Club

Poll

Should Backstabs be allowed in a dueling setting?

[ 1 ]
    2% [2%] 
    [ 5 ]
    12% [12%] 
    [ 10 ]
    23% [23%] 
    [ 17 ]
    40% [40%] 
    [ 10 ]
    23% [23%] 

Total Votes: 43
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Backstabs - As they relate to Fight Club

Post by Reaperfan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 am

This thread is to learn how we all feel about backstabbing in a dueling environment. This is a multiple choice poll in case you have mixed feelings about the choices. If you vote in the poll, please post a response here stating your reasoning behind your choice, and feel free to start discussion, as long as it directly relates to backstabs in a dueling setting. Take any other discussion here.

I voted for both the "banning Hornet's Ring" and "no fishing" choices. Backstabs are a vital mechanic to countering tanking builds or heavy weapon users, and limiting the amount of times you can take advantage of that would be limiting the effectiveness of low-defense/high-mobility builds, but they should stop at being a mechanic for punishing. The Hornet's Ring provides too much incentive to make them a core combat mechanic and promotes backstab fishing.

Last edited by Reaperfan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Re: Backstabs - As they relate to Fight Club

Post by Forum Pirate on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:26 am

Possibly an "if both parties agree option?

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Possibly an "if both parties agree option?

This doesn't really solve the issue too well. Imagine in our next tournament, all it would take is for a tanking build to say "I don't want backstabs this fight" each time to have the advantage, and if they ended up winning and forcing all the DEX builds out there would likely be issues. It's sound in theory, but something more universal need to be decided on so there wouldn't be any specific match-related issues.

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:09 am

I voted for 2, 3, and 4. But that may cause a problem with uniform enforcement.

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 am

No BS fishing. Do it when the opponent is wide open.

Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    Rollo-9

Post by Rollo-9 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:29 am

voted no hornet ring and no fishing. I don't believe in an outright ban of a mechanic of the game, but thats about as close to ideal as we can get.

Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 am

Voted no. Having BS in the fights will surely cause issues i think.

Even if the vote is a resounding yes or no, we should still test it in the club i think at least to see what people think of it in practice.

A big issue I think is that if someone is losing a fight, you know that they're gonna just start fishing as it's their best option to win. The fact that I think it's easier to ban than put in vague rules that can be flaunted and exploited. It'll only cause conflict in my eyes (even if the BSee completely deserved it)

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am

I voted for no fishing and no hornet's ring... but do agree w/ serious because there are no hard and fast rules. How are we to know they had the hornets ring on? What constitutes 'fishing'? What if they swear it was an accident/opening?

An easier 'rule' to use would be no BS. If you do, both parties heal up and start over, a second time and you automatically lose. Easy to enforce, easy to determine, easy to follow

SL41 Pyro/Dex Sephiroth cosplay
    SL120 Fth/Int Pure Caster
    SL120 Fth DW
    SL120 Int DW
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:04 am

Agreed Ace, I know it's sad to limit playstyles by banning it, but BS is so open to abuse due to the lag you can experience in the online (mine is worse than most), and pretty much there's no easy simple way to allow BS. The rules at best will be flimsy and open to interpretation.

If we do allow it, I think it should be down to the digression of the host as to what they think was fishing and that way it's at least impartial.

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 am

I liked like we do from mostly beginning of BS. If it happens both stops,heals and re-begin.
    So i voted no. It s all about the skills and handling of weapons and calculate what your oppenent wil do and with weapons. It just make the fight more intresting without BS
    Mine oppinion. I also suck at BS.
    Example in forest while farming i can take easely 2 invaders but i will always ,always die by BS 's

Dark Souls addicted...I love our Fight Club!!!
    Fight Club Level 120 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t3178-fight-club-sl120-psn
    Fight Club Level 225 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t1472-fight-club-sl225-psn

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I voted no hornets ring, my reasons are in the thread.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm

i voted to limit the number and ban the hornets ring. when it comes to backstabs and op spells i think we need to all just try to be smart about it,remember we are here for fun not to win every match, like if you already beat someone theres no need to blast him with wog and then backstab him(no reason to ever do that lol). the reason i like FC so far is because it will actually give me a chance to use different fighting styles in stead of fighting against the same backstab fishing ninja flipping tank builds. those builds can still be beat it just gets old.
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm

I voted no and no fishing, it'd be frustrating and a waste of time if it were allowed imo. Think about it, you've spent all this time trading blows with your opponent, reading each other and acting accordingly. After all that both you and your opponent are at low hp, next successful hit wins, whos gonna get it? The one who can out-smart the other and is more skilled should be the winner. Not the one who knows how to pivot bs.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Hey Dj, go post that in the Fight club discussion thread, not enough people against it in my opinion silly

btw, sorry about the BS when i invaded you the other day, i can honestly say i did not mean it lol!

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!

RailBladerX
    Casual
    Casual

Post by RailBladerX on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:Possibly an "if both parties agree option?

This doesn't really solve the issue too well. Imagine in our next tournament, all it would take is for a tanking build to say "I don't want backstabs this fight" each time to have the advantage, and if they ended up winning and forcing all the DEX builds out there would likely be issues. It's sound in theory, but something more universal need to be decided on so there wouldn't be any specific match-related issues.

"Tanky builds?" [time for a slight rant]

Anyone in their right mind that wants to pvp should have a minimum of 2k hp... you don't like it? tough... Pvp is about survivability and winning; you don't want to play to win then don't pvp. Backstabs IMHO is just too easy of a Skilless mechanic to be used in fightclubs. I will copy paste that..."Backstabs IMHO is just too easy of a Skilless mechanic to be used in fightclubs" My ninja build wins against "non tanky" builds all the time (Especially in FightClub events). How? We have Rolls... The "invulnerable like a god" roll, and in this game the tanky builds only advantage is being able to bully players with their Health, armor and Poise.. and even then the armor and poise is something everyone can build. "When they change backstabs so that you need even an ounce of skill to use then i will be all for it."

Ive pretty much played most viable builds form Dex, Str, Vit stacks builds to casters. And the easiest of them would be the Dex ninja flipping builds by far. and the funnest. Which is why 80% of players play Dex builds, and why they are so biased against the tanks.

And before anyone says it.. the Ninja flipping Giant twohander players... get owned by anything with higher poise then them.
    you see those Ninja Brick Flipping retards you throw on the wolf ring and open up a new can of woop-***.

Edit: Sorry im sick.. and stuffy.. and mad.. some of the mentalities of players in this game... annoy the utter CRUD out of me.
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 pm

I was gonna to quote a bunch of people but I'm getting lazy... Honestly, I do backstab in PVP. BUT IT'S SOOO BORING. That's the only reason I'm against it in FC. But I'll go to FC anyways if they disagree with me. Your all still awesome.

Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:20 am

My hit and run build would NOT survive without Backstabs...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 am