Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
skarekrow13
Liff Daddy
reim0027
BLA1NE
exandroide
Tolvo
Reaperfan
SlakeMoth
12 posters

Nobody told me....

SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Nobody told me.... Empty Nobody told me....

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:36 pm

That New Londo Ruins were so hard in new game+. Geez, I died so often. Those ghosts must have been breeding since I was last there because I swear there were more of them. By the time I'd opened the gate to drain the ruins and found the ember, I felt like a wet rag.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Nobody told me.... Empty Re: Nobody told me....

Post by Reaperfan Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Just wait till you get to the Four Kings. Whoo-boy are you in for a treat happy
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Well thanks for that Reaperfan. I can't wait (gulp), although I have to say I thought the Four Kings was the easiest boss in my first playthrough and the only one I beat at my first attempt. Maybe I fluked it.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm

They're probably the most notorious NG+ boss. When the Kings each have about twice as much HP, it makes it harder to kill them off before the next ones spawn without help from phantoms, and you can't tank them with heavy armor and/or Iron Flesh very well like you could in the first playthrough. I just recently solo'd them in NG+ with my Darkwraith clone build, so it's possible, but you need a good weapon, the ability to determine which of their sword swings do alot of damage (some barely tickle, some take out half your health :|), and good stamina management to be able to be attacking and dodging constantly. It's no cakewalk :|

Last edited by Reaperfan on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Do what I do, get an *** load of arrows and a good bow. I literally killed the Four Kings in NG+ with just a bow, running away and turning around to shoot. I had 999 of every arrow type, and I think I came close to running out. I don't really remember, I try to repress the experience really.
    exandroide
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by exandroide Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Reaperfan wrote:They're probably the most notorious NG+ boss. When the Kings each have about twice as much HP, it makes it harder to kill them off before the next ones spawn without help from phantoms, and you can't tank them with heavy armor and/or Iron Flesh very well like you could in the first playthrough. I just recently solo'd them in NG+ with my Darkwraith clone build, so it's possible, but you need a good weapon, the ability to determine which of their sword swings do alot of damage (some barely tickle, some take out half your health :|), and good stamina management to be able to be attacking and dodging constantly. It's no cakewalk :|

do you use the Giant Blacksmith Hammer? i think i may have helped you out with 4 Kings
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Since I've figured out how to beat the 4 Kings the right way, I actually find them very easy no matter the NG+ number. New Londo, on the other hand, I agree with Slake; it gets very annoying! It's that one room in particular: the one with the ladder that goes up to Ingward, to get the Key to the Seal. There's the one female ghost in there you have to rush to immediately, otherwise she'll insta-kill you with her lightning spell. But then you're surrounded on all sides by half-a-dozen ghosts, and more keep coming, so you have to slash at them as much as possible then retreat to heal, and charge in again for more. I can't stand the ghosts in Dark Souls--damn wall-hackers!

About the 4 Kings: all you have to do, is equip whatever armor you can and be at 50% equip weight--no need for DWGR, med-roll is fine. Ideally have some poise, though. Then simply focus on dodging first, and attacking second. Do enough damage that you can take out a King before the other comes, or quickly enough after, and the fight is a piece of cake. Their attacks are very easy to dodge. And that homing magic-missile: I use a Magic Warrior's Round Shield +10 for that, and laugh at the sliver of damage that gets through!
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:16 pm

exandroide wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:They're probably the most notorious NG+ boss. When the Kings each have about twice as much HP, it makes it harder to kill them off before the next ones spawn without help from phantoms, and you can't tank them with heavy armor and/or Iron Flesh very well like you could in the first playthrough. I just recently solo'd them in NG+ with my Darkwraith clone build, so it's possible, but you need a good weapon, the ability to determine which of their sword swings do alot of damage (some barely tickle, some take out half your health :|), and good stamina management to be able to be attacking and dodging constantly. It's no cakewalk :|

do you use the Giant Blacksmith Hammer? i think i may have helped you out with 4 Kings

If it was a person in full cleric armor with a sanctus and the GBH, then yeah, that was probably me happy
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Also, do not summon Beatrice. That will add to the King's HP and her attacks will be too weak to cover that health increase. Try to summon 2 people at the start, ideally mages.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Ooh, if you're SL120, I have an OP Mage you can summon! Don't complain if I make the boss fight too easy though. silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 pm

The same, I can help as well with my FC toon. I have wanted to see what the Murakumo does to those four-seven bastards.
    Liff Daddy
    Liff Daddy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Liff Daddy Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Reaperfan wrote:Just wait till you get to the Four Kings. Whoo-boy are you in for a treat happy

Ugh
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 pm

I recently cooped with a host at SL 60 - NG++++! The 4 Kings were insane. We came up with a strat. The same 2 were summoned (so we would know the strategy). I had PW. He would stand back and heal us. He would also use the Chaneler's Trident to keep our attacks strong. Worked well.

If you're at SL 60, let me know. I can help you out.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:19 am

I musta done something right. Beatrice and i hammered them in ng+
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:26 am

My way of fighting four kings: Havels set, powerful buff with +15 weapon, dead Four Kings. Works even in ng++++. Just make sure to have 20 estus.
    exandroide
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by exandroide Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 am

my method is to use a high stability shield and great combustion/combustion this method doesn't waste stamina and most of their swings will just whiff. if you know their tells for the soul suck and AOE attacks, you're golden. i usually have time to spare in between kings.

unfortunately, i have no idea how to approach this fight with the battle witch build i'm working on sad
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:07 am

Dodge, cast, repeat. Magic Warrior's Round Shield +10 for their homing magic missile. Very easy fight as a mage, since you deal so much damage.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:09 am

exandroide wrote:unfortunately, i have no idea how to approach this fight with the battle witch build i'm working on sad

By witch I assume you mean a build that casts sorceries. Here's a secret that works for any boss with a pure casting Int build. Yes, any boss (except Seath, you'll need pyromancies for his near invulnerability to sorceries :|).

1. Cast Homing Crystal Soulmass
    2. Dodge until your Soulmass hits the boss
    3. Go to step 1

If you run out of Soulmasses, then you either used some earlier in the level and went into the boss fight without all of your casts, or you're fighting Seath the Scaleless who's basically immune to magic. In the case you do run out, start casting Soul Spears. Any boss that can survive 20 Soulmasses and 8 Soul Spears has to be named Seath the Scaleless, the rest will be dead by then happy

Last edited by Reaperfan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    exandroide
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by exandroide Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:24 am

Reaperfan wrote:

By witch I assume you mean a build that casts sorceries. Here's a secret that works for any boss with a pure casting Int build. Yes, any boss (except Seath, you'll need sorceries for his near invulnerability to sorceries :|).

1. Cast Homing Crystal Soulmass
    2. Dodge until your Soulmass hits the boss
    3. Go to step 1

If you run out of Soulmasses, then you either used some earlier in the level and went into the boss fight without all of your casts, or you're fighting Seath the Scaleless who's basically immune to magic. In the case you do run out, start casting Soul Spears. Any boss that can survive 20 Soulmasses and 8 Soul Spears has to be named Seath the Scaleless, the rest will be dead by then happy

so i suppose i should go rescue Logan from the Duke's Archive before even attempting 4 Kings? (i only have two helpings of vanilla soul mass)
    Grey-Ronin
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 am

Ah Four Kings how you used to be the death of all during NG+ in Dark Souls version 1.03.

Not trying to be high and mighty but before the current update (1.05) Four Kings in NG+ were a nightmare compared to what they are now. They would spawn so much faster that it was virtually impossible to defeat one without another appearing. When I finally defeated them solo there were all seven spawned. I still don't know how I did it. Now when I kill one of the kings I have to wait around 10 seconds before the next one bothers to even show up.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks loads everyone for your invaluable advice and offers of help. I'm really looking forward to this fight (not) but have decided to tackle something easier like the Demon Fire Sage in the Demon Ruins next.

Really appreciate the offers to co-op but unfortunately I'm soul level 144 which kind of makes things difficult but if there is anyone's sign down, I might well summon.

As for Beatrice, never seen her. Didn't know about her in first playthrough and forgot all about her the second time. Does it matter?
    exandroide
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by exandroide Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:

As for Beatrice, never seen her. Didn't know about her in first playthrough and forgot all about her the second time. Does it matter?

she's good for a laff, but really no help at all. half the time she gets hung up on a ghost at the top of the tower and never even makes it to the boss fight
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:16 pm

exandroide wrote:she's good for a laff, but really no help at all. half the time she gets hung up on a ghost at the top of the tower and never even makes it to the boss fight

I find it funny how she's so absolutely useless in this fight, but her only other appearance basically has her soloing the Moonlight Butterfly lol.
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:16 pm

bloodpixel wrote:My way of fighting four kings: Havels set, powerful buff with +15 weapon, dead Four Kings. Works even in ng++++. Just make sure to have 20 estus.

i second that!
    as i said in another post it is kind of a cheesy method and no glory out of it, but if you are tired of getting killed over and over try the tank+spank method, works 100%.

aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Here are some tips I've learned after a few playthoughs.

For mages, just stand back a cast your most powerful spells. In NG you can kill them w/ just vanilla soul mass and soul spear. When you aren't casting keep your shield UP.

Always buff and heal before the next king shows up.

Magic Barrier can be great against these guys, really diminishes those magic attacks.

High poise is a necessity if you're tanking, wear as much armor as possible while still being under 50%. I used Havel's ring to help.

Don't summon Beatrice. She's useless for this fight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm