Random facts, you say?

    Share
    avatar
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 445
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-01-24
    Location : Nowhere you've heard of.

    Random facts, you say?

    Post by Shakie666 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:52 pm

    I just realised this forum doesn't have a random facts thread yet, so I thought i'd make one. Post any random/funny facts you know (preferably one you didn't find in a google search). They can be about anything. I'll start:

    The golomyanka is a type of fish that lives exclusively in Lake Baikal in Russia. More than a third of their body weight is oil, which means leaving one in the sun will cause it to melt. It also makes them transparent.

    Now its your turn!
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Serious_Much on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:07 pm

    Bit of medicine simplified:

    The kidney is just a giant sieve. It's the tubes after filtration that do the complex bit and reabsorb what you need in your body.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4185
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-07-22
    Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by GrinTwist on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:50 pm

    The pink hand fish uses it's fins to walk on shallow ocean floors instead of swimming like most fish do.


    _________________
    Boring life? Join a cult.
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Dibsville on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 am

    A single cup of coffee contains over 1000 chemicals. Of those 1000, only 26 have been tested, and of those 26, thirteen of them caused cancer in rats.


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 am

    Dibsville wrote:A single cup of coffee contains over 1000 chemicals. Of those 1000, only 26 have been tested, and of those 26, thirteen of them caused cancer in rats.
    Everything causes cancer.

    Breathing causes cancer- just saying


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:13 am

    When the Amorphophallus titanum or corpse flower dies, it re-grows on its decaying tuber bigger than ever before.

    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Dibsville on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:00 am

    Serious_Much wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:A single cup of coffee contains over 1000 chemicals. Of those 1000, only 26 have been tested, and of those 26, thirteen of them caused cancer in rats.
    Everything causes cancer.

    Breathing causes cancer- just saying
    I did not know that. .-.

    A group of kittens is a 'kindle'.


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:46 am

    Ceasar from Conquest of the Planet of the Apes was based on Oliver the Humanzee.

    avatar
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1282
    Reputation : 102
    Join date : 2013-02-11
    Location : Shayol Ghul

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by AnCapaillMor on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:10 am

    Arnold Schwarzenegger was turned down to do the Dub of the german version of Terminator because he sounded like a rural farmer to most germans.


    _________________
    PSN: AnCapaillMor

    PC:AnCapaillMor

    XBOX: I'll give you 2 guesses
    avatar
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 445
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-01-24
    Location : Nowhere you've heard of.

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Shakie666 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 am

    AnCapaillMor wrote:Arnold Schwarzenegger was turned down to do the Dub of the german version of Terminator because he sounded like a rural farmer to most germans.
    This is brilliant happy

    Contrary to popular belief, the longest word in English is not antidisestablishmentarianism. It is in fact Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, which is a lung disease caused by breathing in volcanic ash. However, if you include the techincal names for certain chemicals, then the full name of the protein Titin wins out, with a whopping 189,819 letters. You can read it (or watch a man read it out for you) here.
    avatar
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1111
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-10-28
    Age : 24
    Location : Belgium

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by WaffleGuy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 am

    A group of baboons is called a congress xD

    Also, even though crickets make a lot of noise, it's still funny when you think about it. They don't have ears to hear the sounds.
    (They use the 'hairs' on their legs to pick up vibrations in the air, should you wonder what the sound is for).

    At birth, a panda is smaller than a mouse.

    The oldest animal in the world was 405 years old. It was a friggin' clam.

    Butterflies taste with their feet.

    Dolphins give eachother 'names'.

    Look at this whale enjoying music. LOOK  AT IT! big grin

    Spoiler:


    _________________
    XBL: DayWafel

    [21:01:43] WaffleGuy : The average Hart is a majestic f*cker

    I invade people with a fat egghead and give them stuff  :red-orb:
    Need help with a low level? I can help players with SL 1 to 28, 36 to 66 and 90 to 120 biggrin

    My Pokémon doodles: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t24431p15-cute-pics-and-other-adorable-things
    avatar
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 21
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:10 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:A single cup of coffee contains over 1000 chemicals. Of those 1000, only 26 have been tested, and of those 26, thirteen of them caused cancer in rats.
    Everything causes cancer.

    Breathing causes cancer- just saying
    Being alive is the main cause of death. The main cause of Divorce is Marriage. And without the letter w, there would be no war, just an ar.

    So yeah,

    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:13 pm

    The heart sounds "lub and dub" are actually made by the closure of valves separating the first and second chambers of the heart (lub), and the closure of the valves separating the second heart chambers and the vessels the heart pumps into, respectively.

    Also stray, my post is actually not just being awkward, in the air there are pollutants due to the way 21st century life works- car fumes, cigarette smoke, perfume odour, industrial fumes. Some are worse than others and are strongly associated with cancer- these are called "carcinogens". However, any damage to cells that causes the tissue to heal by division has a risk of causing the dividing cells to mutate and become cancerous.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 21
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 pm

    Hippophobia is the fear of horses...
    More in depth.:
    More commonly known as Equinophobia.. but it's also called hippophobia. Equinophobia is from the Latin word "Equss" which means horse. But the Greek word for horse is "Hippos".


    Last edited by Soul of Stray Demon on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Dibsville on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:20 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:The heart sounds "lub and dub" are actually made by the closure of valves separating the first and second chambers of the heart (lub), and the closure of the valves separating the second heart chambers and the vessels the heart pumps into, respectively.
    Coincidently, I learned about that today in medical class.
    Strange?

    Anyway...

    If you look at a statue of a horseman, you can see how he died. If all four of the horse's feet are on the ground, he died of natural causes; if one foot is raised then it means he died from wounds suffered in a battle; if two legs are raised, then he died in action.


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 21
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:37 pm

    Pineapples grow oddly... look.

    avatar
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 445
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-01-24
    Location : Nowhere you've heard of.

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Shakie666 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 pm

    Bananas also don't grow on trees (contrary to popular belief). In fact, the nature of the plant they grow on means that bananas are technically herbs.

    Also, the word 'banana' comes from the arabic word 'banan' which means 'finger'.

    Finally, potatoes were originally grown for their flowers.
    avatar
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 21
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 pm

    Shakie666 wrote:Bananas also don't grow on trees (contrary to popular belief). In fact, the nature of the plant they grow on means that bananas are technically herbs.

    Also, the word 'banana' comes from the arabic word 'banan' which means 'finger'.

    Finally, potatoes were originally grown for their flowers.
    Actually banana's count as berries not herbs.

    avatar
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 445
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-01-24
    Location : Nowhere you've heard of.

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Shakie666 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 pm

    Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    Shakie666 wrote:Bananas also don't grow on trees (contrary to popular belief). In fact, the nature of the plant they grow on means that bananas are technically herbs.

    Also, the word 'banana' comes from the arabic word 'banan' which means 'finger'.

    Finally, potatoes were originally grown for their flowers.
    Actually banana's count as berries not herbs.
    Well, bananas definitely grow on herbaceous plants. I guess that makes them berries and herbs.
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Dibsville on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 am

    The Pound Sign, more commonly known as a hashtag, (#), is actually called an Octothorpe...


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4239
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 27
    Location : Sweet Devil

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Hatsune Miku on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:19 am

    In case some of you didn't know.
    I prefer small melons over big melons. I'm talking about boobies. Small breasts are WIN!


    _________________
    Signature created by me, Hatsune Miku.
    avatar
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 445
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-01-24
    Location : Nowhere you've heard of.

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Shakie666 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:41 am

    Derail someone else's thread... (preferably no-one's).

    Where's a mod when you need one.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Serious_Much on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 am

    Dibsville wrote:The Pound Sign, more commonly known as a hashtag, (#), is actually called an Octothorpe...
    I always called it the hash... As the pound sign is £..

    Also miku please keep this thread above board and on topic. Maybe you were making a joke but that's not what the thread is about.

    Also shakie if you want a mod to deal with something use the appropriate channels- report function or pm. Saying 'where's a mod' doesn't really help us see you want intervention.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 445
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-01-24
    Location : Nowhere you've heard of.

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Shakie666 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:19 am

    Serious_Much wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:The Pound Sign, more commonly known as a hashtag, (#), is actually called an Octothorpe...
    I always called it the hash... As the pound sign is £..

    Also miku please keep this thread above board and on topic. Maybe you were making a joke but that's not what the thread is about.

    Also shakie if you want a mod to deal with something use the appropriate channels- report function or pm. Saying 'where's a mod' doesn't really help us see you want intervention.
    You can report people? I'll admit, I didn't know that. I also thought about sending you (or another mod) a pm, but I wasn't sure who was online now.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Serious_Much on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 am

    It's a thread that is a forum announcement on every single section of the forum. It's there, but just like the forum guidelines you guys don't really read them. Here is the link so you know for next time:

    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22851-how-to-reporting-posts-in-forums-and-chatbox



    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Random facts, you say?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 pm