That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Re: That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Post by Emergence on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm

I recommend the Mass Effect books by him (not the most recent which was authored by someone else). They are really nice bridges between the games, and they shift the focus away from Shephard and his crew and put it on all new characters. What I enjoyed most is he choose to focus on subject matter that had room to expand such as the field of biotic research, and the Quarians. As for the others you mentioned, I will make a note of them too, thanks.

Please help the community by joining both wikis and Fextralife!

Forum Guidelines / Resource Guides / Dark Souls Wiki / Dark Souls 2 Wiki / Wiki Live Chat

Fextralife / Wiki Twitch / Emergence Twitch / Wiki Fight Club / The Pantheon
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm not really a fan of Mass Effect, but I might give one of them a read and see where that takes me. That is if I see one around here, sometimes the libraries in the area have a really poor selection. Barnes an Noble usually is a bit too pricey, but maybe some places like Target or Wallmart will have them. They sell books right?
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Libraries are hit and miss although I did manage to find the Darth Bane books today! I bought one at B&N, and read the other two as ebooks.

Forum Guidelines / Resource Guides / Dark Souls Wiki / Dark Souls 2 Wiki / Wiki Live Chat

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Yeah, I've managed to find the entire Dark Nest Trilogy around here so that's not too bad.

What did you think of them? I'm eager to hear about how you liked my recommendations, and possibly those of others. I'm a bit drained right now to go searching through the previous pages haha.
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:09 pm

What did I think of the Darth Bane books? I haven't had a chance to read anything yet, waiting on them to transfer from one library over to my local one. Should be digging In by mid-week.

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Ah I misunderstood, I thought you said you had read two of them as Ebooks haha. I hope they manage, I should see if I can get anything mixed around or brought to any of the libraries around here, like the Republic Commando series.
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 pm

I haven't before but i am atm, and you may/may not believe me because this is the internet, but i don't say so lightly. I wasn't trying to undermine the message of vaders redemption, regardless of his incomprehensible reasons, he killed hundreds personaly and ordered the deaths of thousands. I don't believe he deserved redemption, much less for sparing the life of 1 person. Wether or not the girl i love is at stake, she is no more valuable than the any other decent person. The only people i'd even consider killing for her are those who have shown malicious intent and are a direct threat to her life. She would side with you here incedintally. In any decision i make, love is simply a variable. I'll do painful things long before i do things that are against my morals. If i have to kill someone who doesn't deserve it (the children vader killed for example) or watch her die, i'll cry a great deal and apologise a lot, but she'd die. (assuming of course a hypothetical situation where those are the only 2 outcomes).

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Now that i'm thoroughly depressed due to an overly somber conversation, Used book stores and thrift stores are great places to check. Thats where i get the bulk of my books. & with used book stores you can often give them old books for a discount.

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Yes that conversation did take sort of a Dark turn.

I actually don't know of any such places around here, but there has to be. I can't imagine we just don't have any for no raison at all, it's not like the store owners here are galaxy travelling evil big brains. I'm trying to think if there are any books that I would be willing to give up for a discount...And I think I know just the one. *looks over at his Legacy of the Force books*

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Google is a wonderful thing. All the used book stores i've seen are owned/ operated by the 1 or 2 people so unfortunately i can't recommend a specific place. Its not like they are expensive though, even without a discount. They're used books.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 am

Haha, I wasn't trying to depress anyone. I'm actually pleased to be having an intelligent wars debate. Makes me feel like a teenager again, before all the friends I had these debates with all scattered after high school/college. I also think your opinion is a totally valid one. I wasn't trying to change your mind, just illustrating my perspective. And I also completely agree with you that the "right" and moral thing to do is usually not the easy thing to do and that Vader clearly chose the easy thing. I don't know that I disagree that he didn't deserve redemption either. It's a complex discussion, as moral debate usually is. On a lighter note, have you guys seen the movie Fanboys? I absolutely loved it. The wars humor is so dead on.

Also how about a bit of trivia? What's the one line that's in all 6 wars movies?
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 am

PlasticandRage wrote:What's the one line that's in all 6 wars movies?

"May the Force be with you"? (Prays to the random guessing gods :silent:)

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:18 am

Well obviously that one's in every movie. But that's like guessing the word hello. I should have been more specific. What's the one line that's said once in every wars film?
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 am

I'm going with, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

I almost titled this thread it for that very reason haha, but it was a bit long.

Yes I have seen Fanboys.

"What if it sucks?"

I love that film, though I can see why it didn't do all too well. It is directed towards us Star Wars nerds haha. 8)
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:40 pm

I had a feeling you were going to get that one.

All the 80's movie humor was pretty nostalgic for me. Definitely a big Indiana Jones, princess bride, etc, fan too. I actually saw kind of an out of place George Lucas cameo the other day. I was watching Beverly Hills Cop 3 and in the scene where Eddy Murphy gets on that huge ride that ends up malfunctioning, where he jumps across the cars to save some children, when he initially gets on he cuts in line in front of a pissed off George Lucas and his wife.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Haha, now that I never knew about, that's pretty hilarious. I always found it funny that I believe it is in Episode 3, George Lucas is actually in it. He is a fat blue alien senator with a died blue beard, as well the aliens from E.T. are in the Senate if you look closely.
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Did not know that, that is interesting happy

When discussing things, always strive to be as friendly and understanding as possible. When offensive, argumentative, or vague dialogues are used, it often causes the other readers to receive negative emotions from the post, which can create a toxic thread. If we all strive to be friendly and understanding, then we can avoid hurting peoples feelings happy.
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 pm

I didn't know about the Lucas cameo but the ET senate cameo is in Episode 1 I think. I spotted it in the theater actually. And got a bit of an ovation when I was like "E @%&#ing T!!!"

TIGER UPPERCUT!

PSN: PlasticAndRage
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm

By the way in case any of you missed this in the original movie, I figured it would be a nice way to "Bump" this thread. big grin
    http://youtu.be/dBQaLuqwtl8

Also the sound was added in during one of the re-releases, though he hits his head in the original version they edited out the noise before putting it back in.

By the way, what is everyone's favourite love story in Star Wars? Not to sound like some middle aged house wife that reads trashy novels but I do always find this to be a pretty key part of the franchise.

Mine, Han and Luke. "I know." That is all I really need to base my judgement haha.
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:37 pm

That clip is great. Never seen that before. I'm going to say Han and Chewy. That's the ultimate bromance. You can't have Han without Chewy

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 pm

You might be interested in some books regarding the Vong war then, things get pretty interesting in that relationship to say the least.

Here is a spoiler for those who don't plan on reading any Vong War books.
    Spoiler:
    Han Solo basically becomes the Punisher for a time.
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Recommend me one to start with and I'll pick it up over the summer. I've got no time for recreational reading during the semester

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Vector Prime is the first part of the long series, but I started with Agents of Chaos 1. I'd say go with Prime though, some parts are a bit standard and others are better, over all it isn't a beloved series but I did enjoy the Vong wars personally. I liked some of the character development brought in, and I feel this was a point where Jacen Solo wasn't too bad, unlike him in Legacy of the Force.

EDIT: Also thought I should mention in case you are a fan, RA Salvatore wrote Vector Prime.
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Is that Han's son or father? I don't know who that author is. I really don't know anything about the books. I don't know that I've ever touched one in fact. I just assumed they were bad.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Some are pretty good and some are bad. Jacen Solo is...Well hmm I'm trying to think of a point to start that might be better for you than the Vong Wars since you haven't read any of them. Chronologically, X-Wing is probably your best bet I'd say. There is Jedi Prince, but I've never heard anything good about that series.

The first X-Wing book is X-Wing: Rogue Squadron. In each book it also shows the timeline and what the next book in order is, and what comes before it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 am