They need more chat options

Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

They need more chat options

Post by Johnthethird on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:35 am

Seriously yes and no? lol so lame. you should have a huge list of questions you can ask the NPC and a huge list of answers they can give you. Like skyrim
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Re: They need more chat options

Post by Reaperfan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:13 am

Johnthethird wrote:Seriously yes and no? lol so lame. you should have a huge list of questions you can ask the NPC and a huge list of answers they can give you. Like skyrim
    Dark Souls's restrictive approach to interaction is what separates it from Skyrim.  Let us know too much about the NPCs through increased dialogue and you remove alot of the mystery behind them.  Give us too much influence over the NPC's actions and the NPCs stop being characters of their own, and become just another thing the player can manipulate.

Basically what I mean is; Petrus betrays and kills Reah of his own accord, not because of some dialogue tree where we choose options and simply failed to convince him not to. His actions were his own and not the result of player input.

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    Kellborn

Post by Kellborn on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:31 am

I agree with the man above me, the restrictive approach to interaction is what makes the game far more interesting and mysterious than what for example skyrim is, and far better in that respect too.

The game leaves a lot of what the characters says up to you to interpret, as opposed to leaving you with obvious dialogue choices where a character will tell you his life story. The souls series forces you to think and interpret, which is a rarity in modern games I find. I think it's great that this continued in dks2.

Also, skyrim is a bad example of a game with a lot dialogue options.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Kellborn wrote:Also, skyrim is a bad example of a game with a lot dialogue options.
    Skyrim will give you 20 talk options 18 of which are BS which is just recycled by every other NPC in the game and when actually get into the nitty-gritty of your conversation oftentimes the game will only give you one option, so it's not even trying to to fool you into thinking you have a choice anymore.

Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 pm

I think that at times, the game could stand to give you a bit more options in terms of the topic you want to speak about, but only when you're speaking of subjects you've already discussed. Essentially, a replay button for dialogues.

Another option is to make it so you have a very limited option of dialogues (since you're a stranger), then "unlock" new dialogue as you get to know them (like eventually "unlocking" a "What brings you here?" option). Dark Souls is about progress (much like any RPG), how an initially limited actions expand to a large quantity (via achieving weapon requirements, attaining the Lordvessel, finding magic, etc.), I think this form of dialogue option would fit in the best and allow a controlled stream of information without looking unrealistic (granted, this is a game, but it still ain't logical).

skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:05 pm

We need dialogue trees like Oblivion, not Skyrim. So we can have NPCs asking us what the laws and penalties are for crimes.  Like necrophilia.  

Which of course means I think Dark Souls NPC interaction is pretty awesome.  I just recently went back to Demon's and I'd say that Dark is an improvement even on Demon's.

CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm happy with the system so far but there are two things:

1. I never want to have to pay Petrus such an absurd amount of souls for dialogue however helpful it may be. 

2. I quite liked that speaking to Lautrec gave you new information with which to confront Petrus. I wouldn't mind this extended to perhaps reading/owning certain items for example if you find the Ring of the Evil Eye maybe Andre says a line about it being a dark day for Astora or something small like that. 

Too much dialogue would give me nothing to think about though :/

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Quality over quantity.

You lost me when you said "like Skyrim." If you want an apple, then you go eat an apple. You don't yell at an orange in the hopes that it'll change.

crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 am

To the Op:
    No, No, NO! No Skyrim!

CakeThiefPro wrote:I'm happy with the system so far but there are two things:

1. I never want to have to pay Petrus such an absurd amount of souls for dialogue however helpful it may be. 

2. I quite liked that speaking to Lautrec gave you new information with which to confront Petrus. I wouldn't mind this extended to perhaps reading/owning certain items for example if you find the Ring of the Evil Eye maybe Andre says a line about it being a dark day for Astora or something small like that. 

Too much dialogue would give me nothing to think about though :/
     Lol. For your number 1.....Doesn't that make it so much sweeter when you kill Petrus and take his humanity? I know it does for me. Heck, some playthroughs I don't even wait to kill him. Just do it right away, for no more than the satisfaction of seeing his smug condescending a$$ die.

CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 am

crbngville2 wrote:
    CakeThiefPro wrote:I'm happy with the system so far but there are two things:

Lol. For your number 1.....Doesn't that make it so much sweeter when you kill Petrus and take his humanity? I know it does for me. Heck, some playthroughs I don't even wait to kill him. Just do it right away, for no more than the satisfaction of seeing his smug condescending a$$ die.
    I'm pretty sure if you pay him more souls you don't get those souls back even when you kill him (might test this now) so I find it more satisfying to just kill him straight away or after Rhea arrives and then leaves if I need her. I actually wouldn't mind paying for info if it was a character that didn't annoy me in every way possible.(I mean more than Lautrec or Patches which is a massive accomplishment)

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 am

We don't need changes like this. Demons and Dark are both fine the way they are. Why make things more complicating. Who is actually going to sit there and talk to an NPC? The fun part of the game is trying to figure things out on your own, NOT, get hints and stories from people.

Next thing he'll want is a way to talk to the crow lol

Visit http://fextralife.com

subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 am

twigsterxd wrote:We don't need changes like this. Demons and Dark are both fine the way they are. Why make things more complicating. Who is actually going to sit there and talk to an NPC? The fun part of the game is trying to figure things out on your own, NOT, get hints and stories from people.

Next thing he'll want is a way to talk to the crow lol
     Are you saying you've never traded hundreds of cheap items just to hear snugglys soothing voice? 

But seriously although I think this particular way of changing chat options isn't the best fit that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved in other ways. Talking to people in Dark Souls still gave you a lot of information to speculate with and I think they could enhance the experience. Talking to someone, randomly leaving the area and then coming back felt a bit cheap at times. 

Having item descriptions unlock new dialogue would be interesting or discovering secret areas could unlock hidden dialogue. Maybe the order you speak to people in could get conversations to end differently. Also since I was thinking about bribing Petrus to give us information maybe a threaten option would be a new feature. Some of the weaker characters might fear you and give up the information, others might think they're tough and fight you and others might simply shrug it off and ignore you. The intimidation factor could also depend on your soul level. It kind of has a Dark Souls feel to me at least but I don't know if it would really work. 

I'm not saying I want a lot of dialogue to explain everything just for the dialogue we get to be less easily accessible since nothing in Dark Souls is ever easy x)

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:19 am

I don't trade with snuggly but what he wants is a conversation type thing. Not something we need in the game. Besides, you don't talk to snuggly, he/she just talks lol

Visit http://fextralife.com

subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 am

twigsterxd wrote:I don't trade with snuggly but what he wants is a conversation type thing. Not something we need in the game. Besides, you don't talk to snuggly, he/she just talks lol
    Yeh I'm not saying I agree with what he wants but that the way we communicate with NPCs in game can be improved which is his goal but should be done in a different way (even though I think the OP might be a troll let's just ignore that right now).

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 pm

When I read the title, I thought he wanted ways for human players to chat.  The last thing I want is 12 year olds begging for humanity.

I'm not going to slag Skyrim, since I do like the game, but it's the polar opposite of Dark Souls.  They each work for their own reasons, and aren't really mix and match type games.
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Skyrim is a **** of a game, the unique thing Dark Souls should take from it is it's mods support on pc.
    lonewolf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lonewolf on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:19 am

skyrim is fun with the right mods and how you like to play but the conversasion is bad.
    also

[And stop trolling the forums]

TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Basically what I mean is; Petrus betrays and kills Reah of his own accord, not because of some dialogue tree where we choose options and simply failed to convince him not to. His actions were his own and not the result of player input.
    Oh, I don't know about that.  Just this past playthrough my inputs prevented that occurrence.  I input R2 twice after leaving tomb of giants, and now Petrus won't be killing anybody else big grin.

It gives me more time to buy the miracles before moving on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 am