Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

newbie to Dark Souls - impressions and questions

thementat

newbie to Dark Souls - impressions and questions Empty newbie to Dark Souls - impressions and questions

Post by thementat Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 am

**** WARNING: spoilers ahead ****

I've read a lot about this game and decided to finally give it a try about 3 weeks ago. Initially I wasn't very impressed. But then I grew to like it. I made it to Londor after killing the Iron Golem. Apart from the ghosts in Londo Ruins that I understand you can somehow drain the water, I'm fairly certain I did everything else in the game. Got to level 60 something and game started to become easy.

Anyways...... I play a melee character. I started with deprived on my first play through because I wanted challenge. Honestly, I found the game to have a steep learning curve and there aren't many useful explanations. It took me a while to figure out the combat system. It requires patience and proper use of a shield. Keeping an eye on your stamina and knowing when to land your hits, especially against bosses and mini bosses.

I found Blightown to be the most annoying because I took me a while to realize there are ladders there and I more than that, it took me a while to understand why all of the sudden I got toxin. I then realized I was being sniped at with a "fufu" pipe.
    Anyways.... I consider Blightown the most difficult and annoying followed by Sen's Fortress.

Anyways....... I tried different weapons but I kind of stuck with the reinforced club. In all honesty, I can figure out why any weapon out there is better. I know it is playing style but the ability to jump (close distance) and land a hit and break stance is just too useful. Am I missing something in that regards?

One thing I don't understand is about weapon ascension. I have a heavy crossbow doing around 150 damage. Why would I turn it into a divine 50 damage? There are also so many useless weapons and armor laying around. I got good armor relatively early on (elite knight armor) and good shields too. There is little I buy from merchants. Ranged weapons are also kind of useless unless you are sniping at bosses from far away or annoying enemies in strategic positions. It is not like you weaken enemies as they run towards you. Aside from bosses and mini bosses, everything dies in 1-3 blows. Only foes which don't are those in the Atroias forest and bronze guardians in Anor Londo.

All in all a great game. I actually restarted the game again, because for a while I did level grinding too much and certain things aren't challenging anymore. So I wanted for things to be hard again.

Also, how far am I into the game?

Insights and answers are appreciated.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

newbie to Dark Souls - impressions and questions Empty Re: newbie to Dark Souls - impressions and questions

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:24 am

If you haven't drained the water yet and just got to Anor Londo then:

Not very far. Also, the hardest bosses are yet to come.

Glad you're having fun and welcome!
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

newbie to Dark Souls - impressions and questions Empty Re: newbie to Dark Souls - impressions and questions

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 am

You're about halfway through. It doesn't look like you've faced any of the 4 Lords yet and, yes, New Londo must be drained of its water in order for you to progress.

Now, when you say "Artorias forest" do you mean Oolacile or Darkroot?

Divine is a stat that scales off your Faith, I assume you haven't invested much, if at all, into the stat.

There's nothing wrong about the Reinforced Club, it's actually considered to be a top-tier weapon owing to its low stat requirements, high AR, and bleeding AUX. It's a favorite of many in those ever-popular SL 1 runs.
    thementat

Post by thementat Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:You're about halfway through. It doesn't look like you've faced any of the 4 Lords yet and, yes, New Londo must be drained of its water in order for you to progress.

Now, when you say "Artorias forest" do you mean Oolacile or Darkroot?

Divine is a stat that scales off your Faith, I assume you haven't invested much, if at all, into the stat.

There's nothing wrong about the Reinforced Club, it's actually considered to be a top-tier weapon owing to its low stat requirements, high AR, and bleeding AUX. It's a favorite of many in those ever-popular SL 1 runs.
    The forest where there is a talking cat (Alvina?) in one of the tower ruins. There are a bunch of clerics, ranger, and an eastern warrior over there which you actually have to put some effort into melee.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:03 am

The jump attack you can do with any weapon, pues up and r2 at the same time, now go try everything and go with your favorite weapon. When'd you power level things get easier but on later ngs it gets really hard, shields become useless and you have to learn how to dodge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm