Seath's Damage Type

Klosterheim
    Casual
    Casual

Seath's Damage Type

Post by Klosterheim on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I understand that when Seath uses his breath, he causes curse buildup. Aside from the curse buildup, what is the damage type of those crystals? For whatever reason, those crystals are kicking my butt.

Or, to ask this another way, what is the best armor if I want to attack Seath with high mobility? What is the best Heavy option? I prefer high mobility, but if I make one little mistake, the crystals hit me and I am killed in one "hit" of the crystals. And Seath has so much health that the odds of me making one mistake is high.

My curse levels are fine. I am wearing the cursebite ring.
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Seath's Damage Type

Post by Uparkaam on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:09 pm

It's probably magic. Not entirely sure though.

As for the armour, paladin set is good because of its curse resistance. Or you could just take something with good poise. But yeah, mobility is still the most important thing.

Uparkaam (main account)
    Dorkmoon
    Torch_Hollow
    Ravelord_Servant
    Gastro_Zombie
    befowler

Post by befowler on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:16 pm

There are actually several different crystal breath attack patterns, some worse than others. Generally, the higher the crystals, the more damage, so the trick is to figure out the patterns and get out of the primary blast zone. When he sweeps left to right, there will be a large buildup on the left, so backpedal out of there ASAP. He also has one that looks sort of like an explosion, which causes lots of powerful crystals to shoot up very close to him, sort of an anti-melee effect. Another one to observe and backpedal from. Also, keep your shield up even if you get stuck in the crystals, as it seems to keep soaking somewhat after impact (my controller's vibrate function will run the entire time).

If you are using the cursebite ring, you can probably get away with low curse resist armor. I use havels gloves/boots, and then light chest/head armor so I can still DWGR roll. Seath is kinda an idiot, so if you have summons with you it's pretty easy to aggro him at range from the front so he keeps trying to do the crystal attacks but can't hit you, while at the same time other folks are behind him cutting off his tail etc. You can also target lock him from really far away, so a bow or even fireballs are a pretty easy way to keep him focused on you but stay away from the bulk of his crystal attacks. I actually find his random tail spam to be much more dangerous.

Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:49 pm

It is magic, crest shield can save your life, but be wary you can block his tail sweep and it will consume all your stamina. Cursebite ring is perfect, you can also try the dingy or crimson robes for extra curse defense. In fact, just get 10 humanity and you should be fine.

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    Klosterheim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Klosterheim on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:51 am

Woot, I beat Seath tonight on the first try!

(I failed after many tries in the previous two nights).

Thanks for the feedback. It made the difference.

I don't have a very high level character (SL68), and most of my points went into INT. I often play naked with an Enchanted Iaito and maxed out Eagle Shield, and it works, because I can run super fast, my attacks are fast, and my spells often dominate what I can't finish off with my sword.

Unfortunately, none of that meant **** against Seath, hence my post. I got close a couple times with my Naked Eagle mix, but one little mistake, and boom, i was dead.

As it turns out, the winning combo for tonight was the Favor armor series with grass shield and my +4 Flamerge. Oh, and a heavy dose of The Giant Chaos Fireball thing. I don't have the Paladin armor yet, and the Favor Set looked good enough after 3-5 beers and a long day at work.

Thanks again to this kick *** forum. I appreciate you guys taking the time to offer feedback and I appreciate that you do it in such a way that you don't come across as insufferable pricks. It's weird how a game as challenging as Dark Souls actually brings quality people to the conversation.
    Zechk

Post by Zechk on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Is 'Bastard crystal death dragon magic hentai monster curse' not the correct title for the damage type?

I'm not helping am I?

callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Carphil wrote:It is magic, crest shield can save your life, .
    Seriously? Does the shield help only if you get hit directly by the beam (which is rare) or does it also somehow lessen the damage when you're standing among the crystals. My curse resist is usually outlandishly high to the point curse isn't even a concern, so if I could stand relatively safely among the shards I'd be a happy king. I'll just stand there spamming rude gestures at him till he punches me.
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:21 pm

^ I'm pretty sure the more magic defense you have, you take less damage from the crystals, but it does not affect the curse build up whatsoever

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:27 pm

for curse build up, try a blood shield.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Wow I thought the crystals were just pure physical damage ô_ô (crytal weapons also don't have additional magic damage so I thought...) I just put on what gave me the greatest mobility while also physical protection, still luckily was able to survive a crystal attack... Well you should anyway dodge them attacks at any cost...

Post by befowler on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 am

Yeah it does seem to be magic. I tested great magic barrier against him last night and you basically ignore the crystals (although can still get curse buildup or the popup effect from the big ones). Almost no damage at all, so all you need to worry about are his physical attacks at that point. I suppose this makes sense, since great magic barrier's description is that it was developed by Havel due to his hatred of Seath's magic. If only I paid more attention to these little details.

Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 am

It's magic, your best bet against seath though is to worry more about curse than the damage of the crystals, as if you dodge the beam, the residual crystal damage is pretty weak and easily healed if you stick close to his body.

Also, having the big hat helps a lot silly

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:03 pm

I used full Black Iron +5 with the Bloodshield. Once I got the crystal down, I ranged down Seath with no problem. I was even able to stand in the crystals and take the curse build up with out being fully cursed.

Post by befowler on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Keeping your shield up even if you are in a bed of crystals also seems to help with curse buildup. I've never had it go past 1/2 bar and I don't have particularly high resist.

Does anyone know if the cursed statues in his area are real, or just there for show? It always seems there are 4-5 random ones in there every time (I coop Seath a lot and the statutes move around each time), and it's hard to believe that many people are getting cursed all the time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:50 am