About the Spam

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: About the Spam

Post by twigsterxd on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Hey reap, this sentence you said here;
    Give so-called "spam threads" a day or two to run its course, and if nothing more relevant has come from it then go ahead and lock it.

He locked a thread that was being spammed and derailed for over a month. After it was locked, another thread opened up which is heading in that direction again. Doesn't matter if it's a day, 2 days, a week, there's been too much bro.

Visit http://fextralife.com

subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 pm

twigsterxd wrote:Hey reap, this sentence you said here;
    Give so-called "spam threads" a day or two to run its course, and if nothing more relevant has come from it then go ahead and lock it.

He locked a thread that was being spammed and derailed for over a month. After it was locked, another thread opened up which is heading in that direction again. Doesn't matter if it's a day, 2 days, a week, there's been too much bro.
    How about only allow a few threads like these to be available at a time. And when one gets out of hand, let a similar thread begin.

I mean. I'm at home almost all the time, and I need **** to do. These thread give me something to do. Since I don't go outside of the Off-Topic part of the forums.

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Why would you want a similar thread? It would just get locked as well. Also, makes the mods job more of a nuisance because of it. If it got locked, it was locked for a reason.

Think about this. Look at all the threads that were locked this past weekend and read the comments made by Serious. There's a reason he locked them. Why make a duplicate thread that will just go the same route anyways.

Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:43 pm

twigsterxd wrote:Hey reap, this sentence you said here;

If it's the same topic with the same posters saying the same things, then you have every precedent to lock the "new thread" prematurely, since it's not really a new thread. Just be sure to say so and be clear about it when locking the "new thread." If anything the problem there was that the original thread was allowed to run on for too long.

And just for clarity, which thread were you referring to specifically? The avatar thread?

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:45 pm

That was one of them yes. And, that's why they were being locked. And lately, it's been the same group of people doing it. TBH, if Fex or E was here, a few bans would be handed out imo.

Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 pm

twigsterxd wrote:Why make a duplicate thread that will just go the same route anyways.
    Typically it's because, having been made aware that the way they were handling the topic was inappropriate the first time, the participants want to continue discussing the topic, but now in a way that is more accommodating with the rules.

If they fail to adapt, then the thread deserves to be locked again. If they succeed, then the topic should be allowed to continue.

Last edited by Reaperfan on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:47 pm

twigsterxd wrote:Why would you want a similar thread? It would just get locked as well. Also, makes the mods job more of a nuisance because of it. If it got locked, it was locked for a reason.

Think about this. Look at all the threads that were locked this past weekend and read the comments made by Serious. There's a reason he locked them. Why make a duplicate thread that will just go the same route anyways.
    If people would learn to be more on topic, then maybe we would still have some of those threads.
    I know I'm guilty of being apart of some of the derailment, but still, stay on topic people and the thread probley won't get locked.

OR...

Maybe...
    We could create another section of the forums dedicated to Fun and Games, and have the admin/mod team hire more mods to over see that people are staying on topic in the threads.

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:52 pm

But that's not what has been happening bro. The same type of thread gets created, and people continue spamming it like it was the old one.

@Vinyl - That is what is supposed to happen but as I said, people don't give a hoot about the rules.
    You yourself know that the rules were made for a reason. People are ignoring them because they are getting away with it. As for the mods messaging these people I don't know, but there are just so many that do it, there's not enough time in the year to pm them all.
    Keeping threads ON TOPIC is what is SUPPOSE to happen. But, you know that they aren't
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:53 pm

A Fun and Games thread seems like an appropriate action and resolution and I may be all for it. But, if the threads being made now are causing grief to other forum members, than what will it change if these threads are simply moved to another section?

"We are not required to save the world. We are required to stand up as truly as we can for what we love."
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:56 pm

Poliwrath wrote:A Fun and Games thread seems like an appropriate action and resolution and I may be all for it. But, if the threads being made now are causing grief to other forum members, than what will it change if these threads are simply moved to another section?
    So you like my idea?

Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Poliwrath wrote:A Fun and Games section seems like an appropriate action and resolution. But, if the threads being made now are causing grief to other forum members, than what will it change if these threads are simply moved to another section?
    Fixed?

I'm not sure it's the best solution, but I see what you're going for. Don't try to shut down all the spam, just give it it's own section and relocate it so it doesn't interfere with the other sections.

Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    Poliwrath wrote:A Fun and Games section seems like an appropriate action and resolution. But, if the threads being made now are causing grief to other forum members, than what will it change if these threads are simply moved to another section?
    Fixed?

I'm not sure it's the best solution, but I see what you're going for.  Don't try to shut down all the spam, just give it it's own section and relocate it so it doesn't interfere with the other sections.
    That why I came up with that idea.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:04 am

@ Vinyl

I do like the idea very much. Personally though I don't have any problem with the "spam" simply because off-topic for as long as iv been here has been just what it is now; a fun and silly place.. not to say it can't be serious at times. I'm just trying to see and better understand everyone's point of view. But if it's the actual posts that are angering people.. well then  this new section may not help simply because the problem is not going away, it is only being moved.

@Reaper

Yeah sry xD
    all fixed tongue

"We are not required to save the world. We are required to stand up as truly as we can for what we love."
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:04 am

Poliwrath wrote:A Fun and Games thread seems like an appropriate action and resolution and I may be all for it. But, if the threads being made now are causing grief to other forum members, than what will it change if these threads are simply moved to another section?
    Sounds sort of like a flame-lounge section lol.

The quoted post makes a good point about whether moving it to another section will realisticly make things better.
    Another thing to consider is that having such a section will give people out on a trolling buzz a place target. I can imagine [namedropping isn't cool bro] popping in every now and again to post something offensive/hurtful, or just general baiting to rile people up. And as much as you might not intend for those feelings to carry through to the other sections of the forum it's almost certain it would happen.

If its something you really want to discuss, this thread might not be the place (not sure if another thread should be made or it should be kept to PMs with the staff).

Last edited by Hart on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Smile, it confuses people.
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:12 am

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
    twigsterxd wrote:Why would you want a similar thread? It would just get locked as well. Also, makes the mods job more of a nuisance because of it. If it got locked, it was locked for a reason.

If people would learn to be more on topic, then maybe we would still have some of those threads.
    I know I'm guilty of being apart of some of the derailment, but still, stay on topic people and the thread probley won't get locked.

OR...

Maybe...
    We could create another section of the forums dedicated to Fun and Games, and have the admin/mod team hire more mods to over see that people are staying on topic in the threads.
    Alright guys!
    I PMed Serious about my idea. Let's stop debating or talking about it for now. And let him decide if it's worth of a new section of the forums.

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 am

Hart it's not being derailed. It's being discussed. Finding an alternative means for all the spam is what we're discussing.
    But, I don't think a section for it would be good. Don't forget guys/gals, Fex and E changed our profiles so that we collect souls depending on our posts, reps etc. Making a spam section would have people making even more ridiculous threads just to boost their post count. And, maybe one day we will have a use for the souls we have collected. So I have to disagree on that and also, for what the mods have been explaining. Having a separate section would go against everything this forum stands for.

Since Vinyl posted AGAIN while I was typing, I don't think Serious has the power to create new sections. That would be an admin duty. Also, if he could create it, he would need the bosses permission to do so.
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:27 am

uhh Twig.. could you please explain in more depth the gathering of the souls and their purpose? or atleast send me a link in which i could read about it? im rather interested. and just another question; Iv seen people have there names changed.. is this still possible? and whom will I have to talk to so I can get this done?

Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 am

Souls are just the renamed points stat. Links here for the thread explaining the change.
    IDK if you know how points are accumulated since you've been here longer than me lol. I don't know a link that explains it, but you get +1 per day you have an account and perhaps +2 for each post in the On-Topic sections (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

As for changing your name, just PM one of the admins what your desired username is and if its free they'll make the change.

Smile, it confuses people.
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:48 am

Hmm... I wasn't really here when this thread started so I'll just say this now.

... I do not really know what most people define as spam, and I try not to derail too much, usually try getting s thread back on topic unless there's different circumstances, I suppose.

Oh, and I am all for the idea of a now section, if done correctly...

Song of Myself
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:56 am

If you guys want a new section you should PM Fex or Emergence about it to talk about the idea, a new section is something that isn't Serious' call to make.
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:28 am

Popping in to say that I agree with the intent of this thread,spam puts people off.

Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 am

Vinyl I received your pm, but seeing as you has this public anyway might as well reply here.

I cannot create a subsection, only admins can. You can PM them about it but honestly fun and games fit in here, but you need to distinguish between ones needing their own thread like the asking questions or comment on avatar threads or whether like the tough thread they should just go in random off topic.

The point is we're not trying to just relocate the spam. We want to reduce it. Another subsection wouldn't help with that, especially one that would basically be there for spam, which would encourage an increase in spam, which is the exact opposite of what is needed.

Also the forum has enough sections as it is. Having a subsection for off topic would be unnecessary, especially one that would be dedicated to pointless threads that really should just be in random off topic, if on the forum at all.

My suggestion is cut the spamming of threads much as possible, direct spammy and pointless thread games to random off topic and free up the space. It's not like I'm asking you to donate a kidney here, just redirect your posting a little and hold back on the really pointless things much as possible

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:46 am

I just PMed Emergence about my idea. Just so everyone knows.
    I provided proof that this idea will work, with a link to another forum that has a Fun and Games section.
    I also told them of this thread and what page(s) this topic started and is being discussed at.

So everyone! Calm those titties!

Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:50 am

You understand that really isn't proof?  I know of plenty of threads with such sections, Gaiaonine has the Chatterbox.  Doesn't mean we need one and personally I'm strongly against it though it's really up to the admins.
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:14 am

It's proof enough that it could work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 pm