Pure Archer Build

Incarcerated Attila

Pure Archer Build

Post by Incarcerated Attila on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:38 pm

So I've decided to start a new game with a pure archer build. No iron shall be wielded, no deceitful sorceries shall be casted. 

I'm at the Taurus Demon right now. Not too hard if you dodge at the right time, but it gave me a taste of what is to come. I'm already breaking out in a sweat if I think about the Capra Demon. So where should I go as soon as possible to get a decent bow? Are the expensive arrows worth the price? Are there enemies that can't be hit with a bow? (Skeletons come to mind)

Some tips would be appreciated.
    redwingsoverbaron

Re: Pure Archer Build

Post by redwingsoverbaron on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:31 pm

good luck man, im sorry in advance, but if you want to farm for the 20,000 souls, do that, and jump into the forest, and kill that chick that drops the black bow of Pharis, its one of the best and can be aquired fairly early provided you take the time to farm.
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:38 pm

i recommend a suicide run for the composite bow, keep it equipped forever and get 27str/40dex asap. actually not hard to do...hardest boss is capra with composite +5, sif with composite +10 should be no problem.

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:04 pm

I've done a Short Bow only run; Arrows do make a difference. Take it to a +5 so you can one-shot the dogs and Capra is easy from there.

Incarcerated Attila

Post by Incarcerated Attila on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:12 am

My composite bow is at +5 now. Enemies with shields are a pain, giant stone knights need a **** of arrows, got invaded at level 5 and got killed by advanced pyromancie, confined spaces are a nightmare. It's fun. big grin

Is it best to go to +15 with the composite bow or would you take lighting/fire? I think I'm gonna prefer it to the Bow of Pharis, because I really need the speed when enemies are running towards me. Expect it's possible to one shot most enemies with the Bow of Pharis. Anyone got infos on that?
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:23 am

err...composite is the fastest and hardest hitting bow of the bunch. pharis bow is for sniping through half the level. +15 is always best unless you also want to stay low level...without stat investment chaos composite+5 with fire arrows is your best friend. but i'd at least go 20/40 for the dragon hunter bow^^

Casual
    Casual

Post by Mental Gear on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:26 am

Depending on your bow-playstyle you might want to check out the range rating of the different bows. Only 38 for the composite bow, 65 for the black bow of Pharis, rest has 50.
    The composite bow is surely the right choice in the beginning and if you often try to fight enemies from closer ranges.
    However if you often fight your enemies long distance, which is what I would prefer when using only a bow, you would be better off with the black bow of Pharis because it has the highest range rating. That will give you more dmg on distant targets.
    Feather arrows do more dmg on distant targets than large arrows(they loose their momentum faster) because of this.
    Excerpt from Wiki:
    The best arrows to use for bows depend on what type of bow you're using

• Fire arrows - Will give you the highest damage on Chaos or Fire bows
    • Moonlight Arrows - Will give you the highest damage with Enchanted/Magic and Divine/Occult bows
    • Large Arrows - Will give you the highest damage with a normal +15 or +5 crystal bows

Other than that I normally always buy the cheap arrows, which cost 3 units. The reasoning is simple, standard arrows cost 10 units but don't do 3 times the dmg. Large arrows cost 50 units but don't do 16 times the dmg...
    Poison arrows are viable for the two DLC Guardians after you beat the single one and the Black Knights on the narrow legde in Anor Londo.
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Ammunition

Be sure to grab the Hawk ring in Anor Londo.
    For the elemental paths it depends which stats you are going to raise. Maybe take a look at the chart here:
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Composite+Bow
    Undiscovery
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Undiscovery on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 am

Bah, I've made a archer build recently. Frustrating but Fun as hell. Hawk ring makes up for Composite short range and you can snipe extremely accurately with Gough's Greatbow if you need and use composite for short-mid, range. I use the Lighting Composite, I like it though I havn't tried the +15 Mugen shows Lightning to be more efficient however thats split damage, you can split it further with fire arrows which is super effective on some mobs like the undead. I Also kept stock of projectile items like firebombs and turds to help versatility, and poison out invaders. Timing is key to keep ground, and make sure to get out of your scope with Triangle or Y I guess on xBox so you can autoswitch from scope to a sheild while in tight spaces. The DWGR and the FOG RING are great changeable ring choices with the Hawk, Fog can keep you hidden from invaders and greatly decreases Mob aggro range and DWGR is great for keeping fast distance. Shoot Players just as they come out of a roll when autolocking. Hope this helps.

Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:21 pm

xenon_nobelium wrote:i recommend a suicide run for the composite bow, keep it equipped forever and get 27str/40dex asap. actually not hard to do...hardest boss is capra with composite +5, sif with composite +10 should be no problem.
    This so much.

Composite is possible, you just need to preserve.

Undiscovery
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Undiscovery on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:58 pm

^--Yeah It's actually not hard at all. Just pop a transient, keep your shield up when needed and jet roll past the ghosts, the first building it'll block the way as it rises from the ground, you have to evade the other ghosts for a second until you can roll through again. Just keep running and don't look back or it'll be a floating cloud of white. Rehealth between close-calls because you WILL get gutted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:30 am