Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Valanor
GrinTwist
skarekrow13
Tolvo
SadPanda
mikeiothegreat
10 posters

Yay, Gwyn - I did it!

mikeiothegreat

Yay, Gwyn - I did it! Empty Yay, Gwyn - I did it!

Post by mikeiothegreat Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:46 am

Defeated Gwyn and picked up a nice achievement.

Now I won't be doing NG+ as I'm selling my Xbox 360 for a PS3 kit, hoping to opt into the Dark Souls 2 beta and anyway will probably start a new Dark Souls character on PS3.

Question, does anyone play Demons Souls still? Is it worth buying or would it be a disappointment after Dark Souls?
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Yay, Gwyn - I did it! Empty Re: Yay, Gwyn - I did it!

Post by SadPanda Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:41 am

It's a mixed bag. I'd say it's more fluid and fast than Dark Souls, and the level design is much better. There's also a pretty strong cult following for Demon's Souls, so expect summons with crescent falchions and invaders with scraping spears and soul suck.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:46 am

A decent amount of people still play, I pop my NA copy in from time to time.  It's a funy game and after Dark Souls it will only be disappointing in that you will find it easier.  Generally whichever one you play first you end up enjoying the most and finding the most difficult.  Since going into Demon's you'll have a grasp of the mechanics that you understood in Dark Souls.

Also congrats on beating Gwyn.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm

What Tolvo said. I put Demon's down for three years and just came back to it. I was expecting to not have a lot of fun with it since my memory was mostly intact and I'm a veteran of both games but I still had a great time playing again. While it was a lot easier for me this time I was able to pay better attention to what the heck was going on. If you get that PS3 then for sure get it.
    mikeiothegreat

Post by mikeiothegreat Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks guys.  I'll definitely go hunting for a copy of Demons Souls and give it a whirl.

By the way I thought Gwyn was pretty easy, I only took 3 attempts before defeating him - thought he'd be more difficult given that he's the final boss.  The knights leading down to him tripped me up a few extra times though, mostly due to my impatience to get through to Gwyn happy
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 pm

You can buy Demon's Souls on the PSN store, I believe. It shouldn't cost too much, you just need the space for the game.

Also, congrats on beating Gwyn!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 pm

It is kind of the point for Gwyn to be easy.  He's been wasting away in the Kiln using his body as fuel for the fire to prolong the age of fire to hold off the age of darkness.  You aren't fighting Gwyn in his prime, you are fighting him in his weakest state possible.  It is a very meaningful fight and the music helps to convey that.  It isn't a badass boss theme, but a sorrowful piano song.  Gwyn is essentially dead with his body acting of his old living will ingrained into it, trying to protect the fire.  I really enjoy the beauty of the fight more so than the battle itself.
    Valanor
    Valanor
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Valanor Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Tolvo wrote:It is kind of the point for Gwyn to be easy.  He's been wasting away in the Kiln using his body as fuel for the fire to prolong the age of fire to hold off the age of darkness.  You aren't fighting Gwyn in his prime, you are fighting him in his weakest state possible.  It is a very meaningful fight and the music helps to convey that.  It isn't a badass boss theme, but a sorrowful piano song.  Gwyn is essentially dead with his body acting of his old living will ingrained into it, trying to protect the fire.  I really enjoy the beauty of the fight more so than the battle itself.
    Indeed.I was overwhelmed by the soundtrack the first time I heared it.Made the fight and therefor the ending that much more epic.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Gwyn is not supposed to be easy.  Iirc the director expressed disappointment that it turned out that way.  Which basically means he regrets making Gwyn so very parryable, since if it wasn't for that, he's a pretty ferocious boss.  You can say he's wasting away in The Kiln, but I say he's smoldering in The Kiln, waiting for you.

If you want him to be a challenging, fun fight, don't give in to the parrylust, and when you get to the +s he's especially tough.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:54 pm

They still might have wanted him to be easy, they might regret that choice.  Thinking, "We wanted him to be easy but people didn't find him to be a challenging fight so maybe we should have just made him the hardest boss."  It doesn't mean necessarily that they didn't intend him to be easy, it could just as likely mean they regretted the choice.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Gwyn wasn't easy at all if you went through the game without parrying which I did. I couldn't figure out what parrying was for because I kept missing, so I eventually gave up on it.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah Congrats on killing him.  Get DS, it's still cheap fun?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:02 am

If you're an environmental fighter he's easy without parrying. I got him with only a few tries but I'm a terrain opportunist. Rock= victory
    mikeiothegreat

Post by mikeiothegreat Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 am

skarekrow13 wrote:If you're an environmental fighter he's easy without parrying. I got him with only a few tries but I'm a terrain opportunist. Rock= victory
    This is basically how I did it. For the first half of the fight, Gwyn picked me up and slammed me quite high up the sloping area near the rock when I managed to get a few hits in without taking any.  Then he hit me, did another grab attack and dropped me the other side of the rock.  At this point I backed away to restore health and did run attack around the rock and repeated.  I used Havel's armour and the knight shield that one of Gwyn's knights had dropped earlier.

It was still a good fight but it would definitely have been more of a challenge without the environment.

BTW I'm rubbish at parrying too, and didn't use it against Gwyn.  I can just about parry those half lame skeletons in Undead Parish but beyond that parrying becomes a challenge which is why I nearly always lose PvP...  I'd probably concentrate more on parrying in another playthrough (does Demon Souls feature parrying?)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 am

Demons is well worth the money- and you can pick up a copy off PSN for like £7. It's PvE alone will be worth it, but there is still online activity going on in 4-1- which is the main pvp area.

Just don't use the HP regen or second chance on your first playrthrough whatever you do.
    mikeiothegreat

Post by mikeiothegreat Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:13 am

Serious_Much wrote:Demons is well worth the money- and you can pick up a copy off PSN for like £7. It's PvE alone will be worth it, but there is still online activity going on in 4-1- which is the main pvp area.

Just don't use the HP regen or second chance on your first playrthrough whatever you do.
    Great, I won't bother ordering a phys copy then as £7 really is a bargain happy

And I've no idea what HP regen or second chance is!
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 am

Ez modes?
    mikeiothegreat

Post by mikeiothegreat Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 am

Woohoo, PS3 arrived. Demon Souls and Dark Souls 2 beta here I come happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 am