Hipster Souls

SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Hipster Souls

Post by SadPanda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:39 pm

What's up with people doing anything in their power to not be a part of the meta? I mean, why use inconventional weapons and such just so they're not like anyone else.

Just a few months ago, it seemed everyone was using a dex/pyro with a chaos blade or great scythe. And even post-patch everyone was flipping around with 76 poise and a claymore and a katana.

But now it seems, if you're not dual-wielding with no poise, especially without reverse roll backstabbing every attack, or not doing some sort of fancy stun combo or parry ring switches, "ur a tryhrd scrub".

Why can't PvP just be fighting someone, not with all these tricks. It's kind of like how I feel about Super Smash Bros. Melee. All the multiplayer is now is wavedashing wombo-combos with top tier characters.

And I'm really good at both of these games, not trying to brag, but whenever I do multiplayer on either of these games, and people are using every conceivable trick in the book to get an advantage, it annoys me.

And most of the time, these people only do the tricks and such because they see Youtube uploaders or Twitch streamers doing it. So they don't even do it well, and it's usually a quick end on them.

Bottom line, I'd rather fight someone doing a meta tactic well, than a "hipster" doing it badly, and just because they saw everyone else doing it.

Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Re: Hipster Souls

Post by Marino. on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm pretty sure most do it because they're bored of the typical builds, not because they want to be different .
    Some may do, but that's not a reason to riff on everyone that uses "Hipster" builds

I use Dual Bonewheelshields while midroling with 80 or so Poise and it's the most fun i've had recently .

Other than that, i agree .
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Form a 1337 FC. Clearly, that is the solution.

SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:52 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Form a 1337 FC. Clearly, that is the solution.
    I already did. But it's more of a fun fight club than a serious one.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:09 pm

It's boring to use the same weapon for hundreds of hours. Just now, I got a splendid idea to give my Str build a Mace. It sucks, we all know that, so getting a win with it is hard, but it's more entertaining for me than using a Large Club. 
    Just an example.
    Also, people used to fighting all the top tier weapons often have no idea how to fight the lesse tier weapons and get killed quite easily.

skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Sentiel's point is very true. You wouldn't believe the number of people I destroyed with the Priscilla's dagger and Gargoyle Tail Ax because they had no idea what it looked like in action.

KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:29 pm

SadPanda wrote:
    But now it seems, if you're not dual-wielding with no poise, especially without reverse roll backstabbing every attack, or not doing some sort of fancy stun combo or parry ring switches, "ur a tryhrd scrub".
    Actually,doing the above would in fact make you a tryhard. Being one isn't limited to trying to win in the most unimaginative,effective way possible. Trying really hard to look cool and be better than everyone else is the exact same thing. Most uploaders and duelists are tryhards,that's just how it is.

Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Some people also like a challenge, they also like to represent ideas, cosplay, mess around, or look cool with a certain outfit.  People play how they play.  Some people also don't like to just follow the mold and reject standard meta.  I always go against the meta personally and generally I creat builds that take advantage of standard meta builds.

Why do I wear leather armor with a Pharis hat in the woods?  Because it's fun, it's a challenge, and it takes a real man to wear a pair of tights.
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Loved the avatar Tolvo

Its not just that is boring, everyone has a different personality and try to reflect it in clothes, weapons and styles. It kinda sucks to find out a new cool weapon and realise everyone is using it, the fun of this game its equipment variety so why should we play only with 3 or 4 weapons?

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I think the OP is angry at or talking about the people that call out others for using the tried-and-true PvP builds and isn't talking about being creative in and of itself. I could be wrong.

Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:08 pm

No, I hate when people do as mentioned above because popular Dark Souls players do. Hence "hipster".

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Ok makes sense.b tongue

Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm

I would think it's for variety. You may know the best strategies and have the skill to play well, but after a while of only experiencing what's in the meta it grows stale and you want to see/use new things so you won't get bored. Maybe it's optimistic of me to say so, but I don't actually think alot of people do it just to say they aren't "metasheep."

It's like being at a Melee tournament back in the day. There'd only ever be a few players who used anything besides Fox/Falco/Marth, but those odd-character players' matches were always the most interesting.

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Not everyone uses the same type of builds. If they did the game would be boring
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't see the harm of guys trying to do these little tricks badly. The youtubers who do it well were at one time like the guys attempting and failing it because they hadn't practiced it enough.

Also I like build variety, so please, hipsters line up for me and let me see your interesting builds. More fun than guys constantly just fishing for BS and poise tanking R1 spam like a lot of players.

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Mintgroove

Post by Mintgroove on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 pm

SadPanda wrote:What's up with people doing anything in their power to not be a part of the meta? I mean, why use inconventional weapons and such just so they're not like anyone else.

Just a few months ago, it seemed everyone was using a dex/pyro with a chaos blade or great scythe. And even post-patch everyone was flipping around with 76 poise and a claymore and a katana.

Why can't PvP just be fighting someone, not with all these tricks. It's kind of like how I feel about Super Smash Bros. Melee. All the multiplayer is now is wavedashing wombo-combos with top tier characters.

And I'm really good at both of these games, not trying to brag, but whenever I do multiplayer on either of these games, and people are using every conceivable trick in the book to get an advantage, it annoys me.

And most of the time, these people only do the tricks and such because they see Youtube uploaders or Twitch streamers doing it. So they don't even do it well, and it's usually a quick end on them.

Bottom line, I'd rather fight someone doing a meta tactic well, than a "hipster" doing it badly, and just because they saw everyone else doing it.
    Wavedashing is practically useless except for spacing. Oh no, he's moving around marginally faster and can slightly change his trajectory beyond your range when he does an fsmash. Surrendering so easily = you're probably French. Just play Brawl, no wavedashing there, not that it was immensely of use to anyone.

I hate complaints like this. Pointless. I can tell you're from /v/. You galoshes will argue about anything.

The only thing that sucks in Dark Souls besides the fact that the game itself is balanced like buttocks and harbours abysmal netcode is that there's hacking. If you're not hacking I don't give a crap.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. You seem plundered anally both over unique builds and ones that are made solely to be effective, so you're either some form of hypocrite or cannot communicate properly.
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 pm

le buttatomized by opinions face xD

Seriously though, thanks for that part about /v/, because they have bad taste and all (u git trold hard by me xD). That'd be like saying that if you're from Australia, you have bad taste.

Thanks for the downboat by the way, it seems like I'm getting a strong cult following of people that pride themselves that thinking a little red bar makes a difference on my opinion or not.

n wuy u say bout brahl m8 ima top teer playa n could nok ur gabba fastr dan u could say "blimey!".

Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Some people have fun being in the meta. Some people don't. They play how they want.

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Mint please do not use such insulting words while slandering groups of people.  There are forum guidelines, you should get acquainted with them.  They can be accessed from every section and are even in my signature.
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Mintgroove wrote:You seem plundered anally both over unique builds and ones that are made solely to be effective, so you're either some form of hypocrite or cannot communicate properly.
    Also,
    lrn2reed m8

EeAyEss wrote:I think the OP is angry at or talking about the people that call out others for using the tried-and-true PvP builds and isn't talking about being creative in and of itself. I could be wrong.

SadPanda wrote:No, I hate when people do as mentioned above because popular Dark Souls players do. Hence "hipster".

Last edited by SadPanda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Mintgroove wrote:
    Wavedashing is practically useless except for spacing. Oh no, he's moving around marginally faster and can slightly change his trajectory beyond your range when he does an fsmash. Surrendering so easily = you're probably French. Just play Brawl, no wavedashing there, not that it was immensely of use to anyone.

I hate complaints like this. Pointless. I can tell you're from /v/. You galoshes will argue about anything.

The only thing that sucks in Dark Souls besides the fact that the game itself is balanced like buttocks and harbours abysmal netcode is that there's hacking. If you're not hacking I don't give a crap.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. You seem plundered anally both over unique builds and ones that are made solely to be effective, so you're either some form of hypocrite or cannot communicate properly.
    This post is completely unacceptable and breaks the first rule of the forum on more than one occasion (flaming, abusive or insulting language). Please do not take this kind of tone against another forum member again.

As you seem to be new, I'd suggest you familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines, which you can find here:

http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t2-forum-guidelines

Hopefully looking at these guidelines can help you make more appropriate posts in the future.

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:11 pm

The Iron Tarkus cares little for these "hipster" tactics you speak of.

But in all seriousness, I understand where you are coming from. I hate fighting five people all with the same build in one night, then go do some research just to find that some youtuber just posted a video using the exact build I've just been fighting over and over again.

While I don't care what tactics you use(as annoying........ever so annoying they may be. I am looking at you, reverse-rolling ninja flippers) I do care when I fight the same thing over and over again, seeing people try to use tactics that are just not working for them because they do not fully understand how to use them.

Just a few weeks ago, it seemed that everyone on xbox decided it was a great time to start parry spamming all at once. For two weeks straight I met some of the same builds over and over again every day. Target shield, rapier, hornet ring either thief mask or big hat while spamming that parry button over and over again. And everyday that I decide to spend at least an hour hosting in the forest, I can expect to see a guy using the same build as "OroboroNinja".

Sure, I love variety and people using unexpected tactics and builds, but most seem to simply be copied and pasted from a youtube video.

The Heretic was here twisted Mwa haha
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Although I will say don't be afraid to use the word Galoshes, it's a hilarious insult that most people probably won't find offensive because of purely how the word sounds.

EDIT:  It is on the level of calling someone a trout faced haberdasher with the collective consciousness of a half plowed field.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Tolvo wrote:Although I will say don't be afraid to use the word Galoshes, it's a hilarious insult that most people probably won't find offensive because of purely how the word sounds.

EDIT:  It is on the level of calling someone a trout faced haberdasher with the collective consciousness of a half plowed field.
    You forget that we british are still stuck in the 1800s and frequently use silly sounding mockery of one another in playful jest.

Tis' a shame few chaps on here would be as sporting as you and both comprehend and accept our dastardly ways

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    theGentleman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by theGentleman on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm

I was not part of the meta way before it was cool cool

Sponsored content