Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Tolvo
Zeta Prime
Lord of Ash
Marino.
Soul of Stray Demon
Serious_Much
Sentiel
SadPanda
12 posters

How to Accrue Negative Reputation

SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

How to Accrue Negative Reputation Empty How to Accrue Negative Reputation

Post by SadPanda Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Spoiler:

And this isn't just from me, I've seen downvotes on
    Spoiler:

I really don't care about my reputation, but if you're going to downvote, have a reason to other than a personal grudge or blind anger.

Thread Souls: Prepare to Lock/Downboat Edition
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

How to Accrue Negative Reputation Empty Re: How to Accrue Negative Reputation

Post by Sentiel Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:13 pm

If you don't care about Rep, why bother posting about it?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 pm

To me this is partly true. The sad truth is people use downvotes for more than just as intended- to signify posts that are totally misleading or go against the forum's spirit.

That said, I also see many posts that are down voted not because of actual points or argument, but because they have been abrasive and patronising to people. Pointing out a flaw is one thing, but then proceeding to rub their face in it and insult them because of it is another ball game. I feel like people who get down votes for being very matter of fact and looking down on people shouldn't be given down votes, but honestly they've only got themselves to blame.

I personally urge people to only use downvotes for things that deserve to be seen as a bad post- insulting people, misleading information, trolling- all perfectly fine to down rep someone.

However, if it's just a controversial opinion or an idea you don't like, please hold back on those minus signs, because your votes could be used in a more productive way.

P.S. If you wanna stand before the forum and make a point, don't put your points in spoilers.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Sentiel wrote:If you don't care about Rep, why bother posting about it?
    Because to me it's a system that would work well if people used it correctly. Not to say I haven't deserved any negative reputation, but on posts that are obviously opinions (and especially those backed by facts) are downvoted, it annoys me. So usually, if I see a post that has been downvoted for no apparent reason other than a personal vendetta or someone not being able to hear opposition to what they think is right or wrong, I upvote to tip scale back.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:26 pm

What annoys me is when someone gets downrepped and everyone loses their minds and go asking who did the downrep and totally derail the thread.

If you don't care, ignore it and move on. Let those that carry worry themselves over that simple number.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Ok then, I can respect that.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:21 pm

I think some people here see it as some of sort of popularity contest instead. Which in that way, it would be reasonable to downvote someone just because you don't like their post. But it really doesn't seem that's the way it should be.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 am

I don't care about Rep, the Number itself i mean . 

I just like to search the Post that was up or downvoted and usually i can see why . 
    And if i can't i don't, oh well . 

Just keep on posting, man . 
    not that i would read it considering how you're on my Foe list and all. But i read this Topic so that means i did read your post...bah, whatever .
    Just keep posting, man
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:49 pm

How dare you have an opinion that defers from mine -1 for that but since you have spunk kid +1
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:53 pm

All of my rep id like to think I earned almost all my rep came from satisfied consumers I tried to post in other threads but now I only post in those where people ask for help or something anytime I've posted my opinion I was boo'd so I just keep my nose clean offer advice to those I know. if you ask me something personally Ill help but its best not to be to opinionated
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:37 am

Iv noticed that sometimes posts and forum threads get real serious at times.. things can get pretty heated. Lately iv seen a lot of things that may have been taken too seriously around here.. iv never seen actual anger in this forum but I have seen people gang up on other people legitimate opinions before and that's always a sad thing to see.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:12 am

What how dare you, rep is the bestest thing ever and proves that I'm better than everyone else aside from Emergence who is a superior being to me with his rep count!

Yeah it's a system that has flaws.  Generally Rep is given out for helpful posts but also a lot of times for humor.  Generally a rule of thumb if you think rep should be given out just for helpful posts, half of a person's rep is from useful posts while the rest are likely from jokes they've made.  Except in the case of certain members like Retro who doesn't get too involved personally with people but just stops by with useful and interesting threads.  

People do give out negative or positive rep too often based on opinions and I know sometimes I've done it when I'm very tired but usually when I wake up I find a helpful post from the person and rep it up to balance it out.  A decent amount of us try to balance it out and uprep posts that are downvoted jsut because of differing opinions.  This thread is a good example of that, your first post has been balanced by people to make it have a neutral value.  There isn't always someone there to fix the balance but we try when we see it.  Lately I've been not giving out rep as much as I normally do for this very reason so I can give rep to people I see that are unfairly getting repped down.
    shadowzninjaz
    shadowzninjaz
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by shadowzninjaz Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

rep is overrated
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 pm

The irony in that statement, is that the rep system is how we rate members.

If it's overrated when it's complained about then what would a fair rating be about the rating system?

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Seems good by me winking
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Says the guy with 376 rep silly
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:05 pm

I would love to be able to search posts where I got up-repped or down-repped. I would also like to have the ability to reverse an accidental down-rep or a misunderstanding that lead to the down-rep.

In the vast majority of cases, disagreements/fights/etc all boil down to miscommunication. That can be more evident in places where communication is strained (as in online forums). And, Pirate - I know you're dying to nitpick my "vague" statistical post (i.e. where did I get the "vast majority" number). Feel free to let this one slide silly (See, that was sarcasm and an attempt to be funny).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:24 am