Help me find a game :)

    Share
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:37 pm

    TheColdestHeart wrote:It is quite balanced, because you can't level up the guns (well, you can, but it doesn't make them stronger, just gives them faster reload speed, firing speed, more bullets per clip, etc), and the leveled up guns are only for each round. Also, there are "perks" of a sort, but they just make you use healthkits faster, or revive faster, or things like that. Yeah, everything carries over at the end of the twelve weeks.
    If the things carry over, it's not balanced. It means I can meet a guy with an assault rifle with my starting gear.

    TheColdestHeart wrote:The only bad thing about playing against a high level player is skill, really, because you have access to the same things as he/she does.
    I don't understand this. Care to elaborate?

    TheColdestHeart wrote:OH! Also, there's a crafting system: scattered around the maps are toolboxes full of crafting supplies. You can use them to make things. However, there's always a tradeoff: you can use certain supplies to make a molotov ****, which is a one-hit kill, or you can use the exact same items to craft a healthkit. Do you want a smoke bomb, or an actual bomb? Things like that.
    Traps and ammo is probably all I would use this for. Depends on the game though, but using things like grenades seems unecesary if the game really keeps to it's survival nature.

    TheColdestHeart wrote:I guess you'd just have to go and play the game to really experience, but it's well worth it.
    I have money to buy only one game, so I can't go and try it out.

    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:54 pm

    Ok.
    Last of Us just lost my interest.
    Three reasons.

    1. Overly complicated multiplayer.
    Need to be a part of a team. Have to do twelve matches. Have to care about supplies and health of the team. There's some stupid challenges to do as well.
    I don't care about any of that, nor want to.

    2. Ability to detect enemy players through walls.
    That's just too stupid to bear for me. The game has complicated system, but simplifies the actual gameplay? Gtfo. In MGO, I had to detect enemies that were completely invisible by my sight and hearing alone. These casul clutches just ruin the game by making it unecesarly simple.

    3. Headshot damage.
    I saw a weapon review for some handguns. When I heard that I have to headshot players what have no armor, helmet, or other form of head protective gear twice to kill them, I turned the vid and my interest off. Unless I see the guy I'm shooting at wearing Master Chief's Mjollnir armor I refuse to accept that he is capable of surviving a headshot. Never.

    I can come in terms with the first point, but the other two are major negatives for me. Big enough to not play the game, regardless of it's other qualities.


    Last edited by Sentiel on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

    avatar
    TheColdestHeart
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 42
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2013-05-13
    Age : 22
    Location : Arizona

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by TheColdestHeart on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:59 pm

    And that's quite alright. happy The listen mode is kinda cheap in multiplayer. You can't use an assault rifle right away; you have to earn parts so you can buy one. But hey, there are other great games in the sea. Good luck in your search!


    _________________
    Booker DeWitt: Well, you only live once. *drinks Possession vigor*

    PSN:
    TheColdestHeart (surprise!)
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:03 pm

    TheColdestHeart wrote:And that's quite alright. happy The listen mode is kinda cheap in multiplayer. You can't use an assault rifle right away; you have to earn parts so you can buy one. But hey, there are other great games in the sea. Good luck in your search!
    I'm a sniper guy, but also love handguns, partially thanks to Halo and Metal Gear games.

    It's a granted that a sniper rifle can one shot someone if it hits the guys head, but the same should apply for the handgun as well. Headshot is not something that's easy to survive, especially without some protective gear. It's even more ridiculous because The Last of Us looks and acts so realistic, yet does stuff like this.

    Thank you for the suggestion and for wishing me good luck. I hope to find something soon. happy

    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Reaperfan on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm

    Sentiel wrote:I can come in terms with the first point, but the other two are major negatives for me. Big enough to not play the game, regardless of it's other qualities.
    To be fair, with the listen mode, people can only detect you if you're making sound. So if you're setting up an ambush and waiting around a corner, as long as you aren't moving or switching weapons then they can't see you, even with listen mode. It's not a "see everyone always" tool, and actually makes moving around the map rather interesting because moving around in and of itself is strategic.

    I'd still recommend it for the single-player, though winking


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 900
    Reputation : 11
    Join date : 2013-04-20

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by SadPanda on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:18 pm

    Reaperfan wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:I can come in terms with the first point, but the other two are major negatives for me. Big enough to not play the game, regardless of it's other qualities.
    To be fair, with the listen mode, people can only detect you if you're making sound. So if you're setting up an ambush and waiting around a corner, as long as you aren't moving or switching weapons then they can't see you, even with listen mode. It's not a "see everyone always" tool, and actually makes moving around the map rather interesting because moving around in and of itself is strategic.

    I'd still recommend it for the single-player, though winking
    So you're saying it implements cutting edge mechanics such as footsteps making noise? And I thought moving ladders was riveting.

    Pls downboat.


    _________________
    Well What is it mastr of downboats Well What is it
    edjier dan a knife
    Xbox GT: Gapestation
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Reaperfan on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:46 pm

    SadPanda wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:To be fair, with the listen mode, people can only detect you if you're making sound.  So if you're setting up an ambush and waiting around a corner, as long as you aren't moving or switching weapons then they can't see you, even with listen mode.  It's not a "see everyone always" tool, and actually makes moving around the map rather interesting because moving around in and of itself is strategic.

    I'd still recommend it for the single-player, though winking
    So you're saying it implements cutting edge mechanics such as footsteps making noise? And I thought moving ladders was riveting.

    Pls downboat.
    Well...the ability to use "footsteps making noise" as an actual detailed radar/sonar mechanic rather than just a general estimate of position is fairly unique.  It also suits the game's more subdued approach to combat rather than the fast-paced combat of other games, making the emphasis on moving carefully rather than moving quickly.


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 900
    Reputation : 11
    Join date : 2013-04-20

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by SadPanda on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm

    Reaperfan wrote:
    SadPanda wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:To be fair, with the listen mode, people can only detect you if you're making sound.  So if you're setting up an ambush and waiting around a corner, as long as you aren't moving or switching weapons then they can't see you, even with listen mode.  It's not a "see everyone always" tool, and actually makes moving around the map rather interesting because moving around in and of itself is strategic.

    I'd still recommend it for the single-player, though winking
    So you're saying it implements cutting edge mechanics such as footsteps making noise? And I thought moving ladders was riveting.

    Pls downboat.
    Well...the ability to use "footsteps making noise" as an actual detailed radar/sonar mechanic rather than just a general estimate of position is fairly unique.  It also suits the game's more subdued approach to combat rather than the fast-paced combat of other games, making the emphasis on moving carefully rather than moving quickly.
    Yeah, I think my favorite immersive experience is when Ellen Page walks right in front of enemies and they don't care.


    _________________
    Well What is it mastr of downboats Well What is it
    edjier dan a knife
    Xbox GT: Gapestation
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:23 pm

    Reaperfan wrote:To be fair, with the listen mode, people can only detect you if you're making sound.  So if you're setting up an ambush and waiting around a corner, as long as you aren't moving or switching weapons then they can't see you, even with listen mode.  It's not a "see everyone always" tool, and actually makes moving around the map rather interesting because moving around in and of itself is strategic.
    Given by the state of the world the game takes place in, there are many more way to detect enemies.
    For instace the sound of walking. Creaking of old wood. Dust, or sand raising as the character walks. Footprints left in the sand, snow, dust, dirt. Dust falling through the cracks in the floor to the floor below. Also, the characters seem to have a knack for chatting. They don't shut up for a second in the vids I saw, which is also a great indicator of enemy position. Bleeding wounds. Moans of pain. Scattered used ammunition and empty clips.

    I just wrote things that came to mind that I look for when trying to pinpoint the location of my enemy. As I said a few times, I'm used to track down invisible enemies for two years. I even went so far as to force my entire clan to use the same shoes, so that I can tell their shoeprints apart from enemy and know who I track.

    Listen Mode takes all of this away and gives you a foolproof and easy to use tool that does the same, but requires no skill to use whatsoever. Even if it can only detect moving enemies, it doesn't mean that it will not affect me when I don't move. Even if I stay perfectly still, I can't say the same for the rest of my team, which can be near me and thus exposes my location.

    If anything, I'd prefer if Listen Mode, did what it is named after, listening. Perhaps enhance the sounds from the player's surroundings to enable easier pinpointing of the enemy location, but showing me the enemy's silhouette through walls is just too much. Just the sound, no visual cues.

    But as the trend goes. People want to have fun with the least amount of effort as possible. :/

    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Reaperfan on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm

    SadPanda wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:Well...the ability to use "footsteps making noise" as an actual detailed radar/sonar mechanic rather than just a general estimate of position is fairly unique.  It also suits the game's more subdued approach to combat rather than the fast-paced combat of other games, making the emphasis on moving carefully rather than moving quickly.
    Yeah, I think my favorite immersive experience is when Ellen Page walks right in front of enemies and they don't care.
    Yeah, it is kinda dumb that Ellie can't be detected.  It kind of became a joke.  For everyone.  It was funnier with Bill though whose boots may as well have been thunderclaps not setting off any of the clickers silly


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Reaperfan on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm

    Sentiel wrote:Listen Mode takes all of this away and gives you a foolproof and easy to use tool that does the same, but requires no skill to use whatsoever. Even if it can only detect moving enemies, it doesn't mean that it will not affect me when I don't move. Even if I stay perfectly still, I can't say the same for the rest of my team, which can be near me and thus exposes my location.
    It's not difficult to use, no. But it's difficult to play against. Maybe your teammate moves and someone sees him. If they don't see you, isn't that a perfect ambush opportunity? You may expose enemies who were hiding like you are when they try to chase him down. They may choose not to shoot your teammate under the suspicion that he might not be alone in an attempt to make you move when you see him not getting shot and think it's safe.

    I can't stop you from being turned off by the mechanic, but I think you're oversimplifying it's effects. There's more depth to it than just "hit button, know where everyone is."


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:52 pm

    Reaperfan wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:Listen Mode takes all of this away and gives you a foolproof and easy to use tool that does the same, but requires no skill to use whatsoever. Even if it can only detect moving enemies, it doesn't mean that it will not affect me when I don't move. Even if I stay perfectly still, I can't say the same for the rest of my team, which can be near me and thus exposes my location.
    It's not difficult to use, no.  But it's difficult to play against.  Maybe your teammate moves and someone sees him.  If they don't see you, isn't that a perfect ambush opportunity?  You may expose enemies who were hiding like you are when they try to chase him down.  They may choose not to shoot your teammate under the suspicion that he might not be alone in an attempt to make you move when you see him not getting shot and think it's safe.

    I can't stop you from being turned off by the mechanic, but I think you're oversimplifying it's effects.  There's more depth to it than just "hit button, know where everyone is."
    What you say is correct. It can be used in these ways, but that can be said about every game. I play Spec Ops The Line now and do the same in there as well. I use my Rambo-ish teammates to lure enemy fire and then sniping the enemies that fire on them. That's not the problem at all. The problem is that Listen Mode exists and can be used against me. I usually don't have to worry about being tracked as I move around the map, unless the game has some sort of screwed up spawnpoints. Most players are not capable of finding me, but with Listen Mode, everybody can do it. I don't like that.

    It's the same reason why I left Ghost Recon Future Soldier. Engineer could always detect my Scout, even when I was invisible. There was a perk that disabled this. However it was flawed. The Engineer could no longer show me to his team on their map just by looking at me, but he was still capable of seeing me even through my cloak and it takes only a second to tell his team my location with a mic. As such, an Engineer with a mic rendered Scout class absolutely useless. I actually had fun tracking down a Scout that sniped me and ambushing him just to gut him with my knife all of a sudden. Unlike MGO, none of the current games offer perfect invisibility, it's always flawed and frankly some of them remind of the Predator movie. big grin
    Once I memorize the map, such cloaking is useless against me, which is something I pride myself on and expect my enemy to be capable of doing the same. Not rely on a game mechanic to do the hard work in his stead. In MGO, it was actually fun to turn my invisibility off and act as a memebr of the enemy team only to slowly kill them from their own ranks. Or act a dead body after a shootout. Of course, this didn't work against skilled players, but was a fun option nevertheless. Nobody expects you, a member of the invisible team, to stroll around visible, or to willingly turn your stealth off. big grin

    The Last of Us seems as a great game. Great enough for me to overlook even Listen Mode, which I wouldn't do easily. However that headshot issue is the biggest problem for me.

    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:52 pm

    Not to revive this thread, or anything.
    I just want to say that I got The Last of Us as a gift for my birthday and it has been an amazing experience both in single player and multiplayer.

    Thanks to everyone who recomended it to me. happy

    A bit on The Last of Us topic.
    The online is simply great, although I only play Survivals mode. Supply Raid just turns into a all out Rambo madness with everyone meleeing each other.

    Funny thing. When you want to shiv someone from front, perhaps when trying to hit you with melee, it works the exactly same way as strafe backstabs in Dark Souls. You can guess that I'm not a very popular player to play against, because I go for necks more than Dracula. big grin

    avatar
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 985
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2013-04-22

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by twigsterxd on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50 pm

    Sent for some reason my pc has hiccupped twice posting this. 3 times a charm lol
    If you wanna know about this game, pm me and I'll tell ya in there.

    Sared 2 Fallen Angel is awesome, (IMO).
    If you still choosing, check that one out.


    _________________
    Announcement:
    Support the Dark Souls Wiki:

    Visit http://fextralife.com

    subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 am

    I already picked TLoU and I'm happy with it.
    If I'm not mistaken Sacred is a clickfest, similar to Diablo. I believe I played a little bit of it and totally hated it. Sorry. sad

    avatar
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 985
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2013-04-22

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by twigsterxd on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 am

    don't know what a click fest is lol
    haven't played diablo so I can't compare.
    glad you found one tho.


    _________________
    Announcement:
    Support the Dark Souls Wiki:

    Visit http://fextralife.com

    subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    avatar
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1111
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-10-28
    Age : 24
    Location : Belgium

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by WaffleGuy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:42 am

    Are you still looking for a game? I only played the demo, but I can suggest Lost Planet and/or Lost Planet 2. It seemed pretty interesting.


    _________________
    XBL: DayWafel

    [21:01:43] WaffleGuy : The average Hart is a majestic f*cker

    I invade people with a fat egghead and give them stuff  :red-orb:
    Need help with a low level? I can help players with SL 1 to 28, 36 to 66 and 90 to 120 biggrin

    My Pokémon doodles: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t24431p15-cute-pics-and-other-adorable-things
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sentiel on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 am

    I played Lost Planet and really liked it. It's a combination of a third person shooter, Bionic Commando and Mech Assault. The heat system on the frozen planet was a nice addition and made exploring really thrilling.
    I'm not sure if it had an online mode, because I played it when I had ISP issues.
    However I played only a few minutes of the sequel and the game was absolutely horrible.

    Anyway, I already found my game. The Last of Us. Even though I already finished the story, the multiplayer is very entertaining and I like it so far. Even though I suck at it. big grin
    It's a lot about teamwork, patience and skill, so it's ideal for players like me, who hate the rambo approach of CoD and other similar games.

    I'm thinking about making a thread about it tbh. I visited two message boards about the game, but the civility and maturity of the members is on a kindergarden level when compared to this place.


    Sponsored content

    Re: Help me find a game :)

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:00 am