ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Re: Broadsword VS Longsword

Post by ChizFreak on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Iato > Multiverse

Longsword > Broadsword

Master Backstabber - Daddy Long Legs

PSN ID: ChizFreak - Steam ID: ChizFreak - YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChizFreak
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IHateTheFourKings on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 pm

The Sunlight Straight Sword is slower than the other swords? I've never noticed that. In any case, that and the Balder Side Sword are tied in my opinion.

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 pm

If I were to choose for PVP and didn't want to try to cheese everyone by stabbing and rolling away every ten seconds,I'd go broadsword.Plus I actually managed to stunlock a pair if gankers to death with it at the same time the other day.I don't much care for how it looks though,doesn't really look like a broadsword because of how sharply the blade slopes to a point.

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 pm

I see the poll is still very tight. Currently in the favor for the Longsword by one vote.
    For the past few days I was focusing on finishing my Dex/Faith build and it's still quite a challenge for me. In the spare time, I was doing some practice with my Int build, so I haven't touched any straight swords in a while. Well, not counting using Astora's Straight Sword for PvE. happy

As far as PvP goes, by Broadsword has recently run up against a wall, or a BSS R2 to be precise. It's usually no biggie for me, but the person I fought used the poke masterfully to counter my every attack. With a Longsword this wouldn't be an issue. In the end, his BSS fell short of my Rapier, but I would prefer to not rely on it when I get into a tight spot and rather deal with the situation only by using the straight sword of choice.

divinebeanpole
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by divinebeanpole on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 am

Wow, I didn't expect it to be that close of a poll, but it makes sense. To me, they are equally good weapons, but I chose Broadsword for 1 simple reason:

Whack whack r1r2 combo, its probably one of the simplest and funnest combos in the game

Casual
    Casual

Post by Ishiotzin on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 am

broadsword

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:06 am

Broadsword is winning it seems.

Yesterday I tried it's one handed combo and it's amazing. The [poor guy couldn't even toggle out of it, because it's so fast. Good way to trash 0 Poise builds. I never use these weapons in one hand too much, because of my stats, which are 28/40.

I have a questions. I've been told that Broadsword does higher than usual Poise damage, can somebody confirm this and perhaps give me some numbers? Thanks. happy

VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:26 am

My pick is broadsword.
    You don't have to break poise to make the combos effective if you have enough poise yourself.
    For poise damage, I can't tell if it does more than usual or not. I often win the poise race with it even with lower poise than my opponent, but that may just be because it's so fast.
    I used to use it as a hit and run weapon with low poise, but it's definitively better in combos with higher poise.

Kahldris_Ducard
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Kahldris_Ducard on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:38 pm

I voted Broadsword originally, but after spending some time with the Longsword, I must say I do love that thrust, I have caught many a people in the combo and the thrust followed by another R2 is amazing, can do some serious damage with that.

Life is never what it seems, remember we all have a part to play, whether it be a king or a sheep herder, all lives are important to the ones who live them.Proper Bow 
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:39 pm

I choose Lagstabsword.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Kahldris_Ducard wrote:I voted Broadsword originally, but after spending some time with the Longsword, I must say I do love that thrust, I have caught many a people in the combo and the thrust followed by another R2 is amazing, can do some serious damage with that.
    Incidentally, this is what I do with Broadsword.
    Roll, unlock and do a R1. The horizontal slash has short range, but it can catch people off guard, especially if they go for a bs and chains right into R2.
    Longswords stab is good at punishing rolls and it has longer reach, but since it's a stab, it's easier to miss when unlocked.

On the other hand. It has happened to me several times that I got someone into a combo with Broadsword and the second R2, or the R1 afterwards missed because of distance between me and the enemy. This never happened when I used Longsword. I am aware that it's the fault of my spacing, but thanks to lag and DWGR, it's sometimes impossible to get into the correct distance to do a full combo.

I really like both of these weapons, even if they're risky to use and difficult to master. What I don't like though, is that they can't deal with Poise tanks. Those guys will either trade, or Poise bs me and I have to keep being aggresive to chip away their Poise to be able to combo them. I usually poke them with Rapier, or bs fish them myself, but I lately started using SKS and Black Flame. I'd like to learn to chip away their Poise with BF and then chain them with a sword. It's hard to time though and more and more people are aware of their Poise lately and avoid me when I chip them.

Kahldris_Ducard
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Kahldris_Ducard on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I realized the same thing Sentiel. I was enjoying the broadsword and then bam, spacing poise bs and more. I switched my quality build to Longsword/Claymore or Sks, I just Rng them to chip their poise and finish with the longsword combo.

Life is never what it seems, remember we all have a part to play, whether it be a king or a sheep herder, all lives are important to the ones who live them.Proper Bow 
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 pm

I now use Longsword and Rapier. I had an epic fight with one of the forum members who used Longsword while I used Broadsword and I got wrecked. His/hers spacing was perfect to the point of using the little difference in length of our weapons to his/hers advantage and so my attacks missed, while his/hers hit.

Broadsword seems better against aggresive players, while Longsword seems better against defensive players.

As for the Rapier. I use it's running R1 to do a quick damage, which usually ends the fight and for criticals. Both swords have pathetic criticals. Also, when I fight someone who has some giant weapon, or tons of Poise. I can't use swords on those guys, or I'll get backstabbed eventually.

I gave Claymore a few rounds, but got used way too much to MLGS.

Kahldris_Ducard
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Kahldris_Ducard on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Obsidian Gs is also a good option for poise break and for that R2, auto knockdown ftw.

Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm UGS kind of guy but i do run into people on here/randoms who are pretty good with both. I voted for broadsword though because i'd personally use that over the longsword. Both weapons are something to watch out for in the hands of a genius. 

And while we're on topic of the Obsidian GS. Hands down one of my favorite swords. I rarely use it anymore seeing as i'm currently mastering the Zwei, but i am in the middle of a OBGS/Faith build. The AoE will be awesome in the 2v2 arena.

Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Staby-stab.

Malevolence or Heaven am I?
    I am the absolute devoted,
    The wraith.

PSN: Enaid_Waleis (main), Try-chu
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 am

I hate OGS, even though it's R2 AoE is cool. The reason being it's length. The thing is probably the shortest greatsword and as I said, I'm used to MLGS, which is probably the longest. The ranged R2s are super sweet and if you learn to aim them, they're also very dangerous.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:06 am