Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Latitoast
KrazykevS10
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Serious_Much
8 posters

What do you people hate about MobAs?

Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

What do you people hate about MobAs? Empty What do you people hate about MobAs?

Post by Slarg232 Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Didn't want to include this in the LoL thread since it isn't specifically about LoL.

Anyway......

LoL, DotA, Smite, Infinite Crisis (If you've played it), what is the worst offenders in the game genre that you can think of?

My inventating is going slow, as I have to wait up to a week to go into town at any particular set back, which happens often. I'm almost done with one of my ideas, just need to wait for some modeling putty to come in.... next Friday.

Also, since my job that I'm hopping for isn't going to get back to me for another month at least, I have a bit of spare time on my hands.

So, I figured I would try my hands at making a Moba. Was just wondering what problems people have with the genre.

And yes, I already have a character inspired by Dark Souls silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

What do you people hate about MobAs? Empty Re: What do you people hate about MobAs?

Post by Serious_Much Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Well it would help if I knew what a MobA was silly
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

What do you people hate about MobAs? Empty Re: What do you people hate about MobAs?

Post by Slarg232 Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena; League of Legends, Defense of the Ancients, that kind of game silly

Stupid acronym, but it's what it's called :/
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:51 pm

I don't hate them but this video might perhaps explain it for you a bit.

Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:48 pm

That video was just osomeone who had no idea what they were doing. About all that is is the initial hump all Mobas have.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Found League of Legends boring,too competitive,it seemed a little like it might have been pay-to-win and the game had replaced skill with how much time you spent playing. 0/10 Would not bang play.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

KrazykevS10 wrote:Found League of Legends boring,too competitive,it seemed a little like it might have been pay-to-win and the game had replaced skill with how much time you spent playing. 0/10 Would not bang play.
    That feel when the cheapest champions are usually in the recommended tier.

Seriously, Annie, Ashe, Master Yi, Garen, Ryze, and a lot of other champions are all considered to be great champions that are easy to play, while higher priced champions don't get as much love.

Seriously, I can't play a game without seeing a Master Yi anymore, League is far from Pay to Win.

Most of the 450 IP champions are just as good as higher priced champions like Fiora or Zed.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Meh, plan on making all characters free right off the bat, so no worries about that.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:41 pm

So far the only moba I've played is League of Legends, and after the initial maybe 10 hours, when I got myself past the early highish learning curve for the genre in general, I don't really have much that's bad to say about it at all. It's addictive. That may be it for me. It was eating my life like some other games that will remain nameless. My only other qualm doesn't really count, which is that the communities can be downright horrible sometimes, but that can literally be said about every single solitary game with a large online following in existence, and at the same time for every battle you get thrown into with terrible people, you get thrown into one with good ones. So whatever.

My very first day playing LoL I continued to announce that it was my first day playing, that I didn't know what I was doing, and that I'd take and appreciate any advice offered, in the pre-game lobbies, and the sheer number of people that jumped to help, and offered great advice, and helped me through those first games was astounding. Didn't run into a single player that was unhappy about it. Wasn't called a noob a single time. All in all I'd say that's actually pretty impressive.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Ok, how does this sound;

There is a rift in the world, a tear in reality. At the other end of this tear, there is a dimension. That dimension is essentially Heaven and Hell rolled into one; the good prosper, while the evil are tormented for all eternity.

*Note: Mana does not regenerate unless you have certain items*

There are three "Main Factions" within the game, who are nameless right now;

1) The group of rag tag "Aetheists" who just want to destroy the tears in the world. They wield powerful magic items that consume Mana for an effect (Think Manamune from LoL). These range from Free Armor Pen, Reveal enemy on Hit, or just Mana -> Damage conversion. Generally burst heavy, though not always.

2) The Holy Church, beating back the Demons but also trying to prevent the Atheists from destroying the "Portals to Heaven". Their Mana regenerates because of their faith and connections with the Etherial World. Typically the "Out Sustain/trench warfare" type of heroes.

3) The Demons of the Etherial World. They are "Manaless", but their Health is actually their mana pool; Mana Drain affects their "health" twice. They typically have abilities that regain mana for them on useage. The "Oddball" faction, where every character is highly specialized, though they lean mostly towards hit and run. Note: If the model/story/art doesn't cause someone to have a nightmare, it's not a good enough concept.

What do you guys think?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Are there even plots in most mobas? Aside from reading the lore sheets on the champions I really really like, I wasn't aware there was even a larger plot for LoL.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Thisn't LoL silly

LoL used to have a plot, weak as it was, but that was all axed when Kitea became the lead "Lore Man". it's all been a step backwards, if you ask me.

I'm trying to marry gameplay and Lore in a Moba. It's a daunting task silly
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:31 pm

I enjoy Mobas, what I don't enjoy (and I'm assuming most people) is the enemy of every dedicated player: Pubs.

Playing with zero comunication, trying to teach others, 5 people trying to share their own different ideas of a play at the same time, ends up in disaster

These games are only truly fun if you play with friends, or if you pick a gamebreaking/troll character silly
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:28 am

Slarg232 wrote:Thisn't LoL silly

LoL used to have a plot, weak as it was, but that was all axed when Kitea became the lead "Lore Man". it's all been a step backwards, if you ask me.

I'm trying to marry gameplay and Lore in a Moba. It's a daunting task silly

Yeah I was aware that you were making up your own. Just saying that I wasn't aware any of them had plots at all.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:41 am

Oh sorry, didn't mean to come across as hostile sad

Eventually, if I can actually get it up and running, I'm going to do events; certain characters disappear into the Tears, get replaced by their brother/sister/some one else (Like Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat) and then bring back the characters as their own special brand of Demon or something.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:12 am

Not at all. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, that sometimes tone is lost when you're communicating textually. I didn't interpret any of that as hostile at all.

Sounds cool.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:20 am

Carphil wrote:These games are only truly fun if you...pick a troll character

How about a drink?

I think honestly the only reason I enjoyed LoL for as long as I did was Singed. Must've played about 90% of my games with him.

IMO AoS's are poorly designed on a fundamental level. But they manage to be okay'ish despite that.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Carphil wrote:These games are only truly fun if you...pick a troll character

How about a drink?

I think honestly the only reason I enjoyed LoL for as long as I did was Singed.  Must've played about 90% of my games with him.

IMO AoS's are poorly designed on a fundamental level.  But they manage to be okay'ish despite that.

Singed is one of my favorites as well.

May I ask why you think they are poorly designed? I wouldn't mind some insight as to what people don't like about the genre (As shown by the title silly )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am