Most painful experience in Dark Souls?

BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Most painful experience in Dark Souls?

Post by BloodTempest on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Basically what the title says, I'll start first.

I was farming souls at the Iron Golem via jolly co-op. Praise the Sun  After getting to about 300k+ souls, I wasn't getting summoned much anymore, probably because of the hour.

So I decided to try giving invading a shot. I invaded a dude, we had a nice 2-5 minute fight and I died. I didn't really mind, messaged the guy and told him that I enjoyed the fight, he did the same. laughing 

I was just smiling to myself and heading back to the boss fog when I noticed that all my 300k souls were gone! 3-5 hours of co-op wasted Prostration 

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to the game, just got it a week ago actually.

I do have one accomplishment though, I killed Capra on my first attempt. XD He really isn't all that hard after killing the dogs.
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Most painful experience in Dark Souls?

Post by Kirk-Barb on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Your souls should be in a blood stain where you invaded in from.
    BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodTempest on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Well that would've been great to know before I went and died against the titanite Demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress because I couldn't find the bloodstain at the place I died. Didn't think about checking where I started the invasion.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:30 pm

I was bored and tried to return to Sanctuary Garden from Oolacile Sanctuary via foot. to do some co-op on Sanctuary Guardian. I wanted to test a few things.

My blood started to boil with excitement when I saw not one, but TWO Sanctuary Guardians waiting for me there.
    Being the boss I am, I got my butt handled to me on their horns twice in a row, losing something over 60 million Souls and 90+ Humanity in the process.

I really hope this spawned some Chuck Norris Vagrant that one shots everybody.

BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodTempest on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Ouch, and I thought I had it bad. >.<
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Once you start doing PvP, Souls and Humanity won't be an issue anymore. You get heaps of both for every fight you win, but lose nothing if you lose.

Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm

I was invading the Burg, I lost a duel and was walking to grab my bloodstain with about 80 humanity and about 1.8 million souls on it, turn to look at a message my friend sent me on Steam, and look back and I'm falling off the side of the map.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm glad you beat Capra on the first try....thumbs up ......because......well, actually I'm pretty jealous waiting 

When I first faced Capra (before any patches) he was a nightmare.  The first dozen or so times I died, I didn't even see the stairs in the background.  The next dozen times he killed me,  I was really just going back to kill the dogs.  I didn't even care if I beat him.  I just wanted  to say, "Ya like that mutt pack?!?!?!  YOU LIKE THAT?!?!?!"

Seriously though, Capra was the reason I decided to say screw it and consult the wikis.....I used to HATE Capra and his mutts. Rant
    BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodTempest on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Well to be fair, I did use up all my estus against Capra and ended up just doing plunging attacks from the platform that you get to from the staircase.
    Exequim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exequim on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm

I consider myself to be great at Dark Souls. Not trying to brag really, but I feel as a player, I am definitely better than what I have seen.

So my most painful experience? Dying to Artorias about 20-30 times on NG+ because I was being an impatient douche. I was using a Bastard Sword+SLB, and I realized quickly that I can't be rushing. With base vitality, it was killing me.

Le sigh.
    Formless

Post by Formless on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm

First time in New Londo i got my *** handed by Darkwraiths, so i fell at the first part, almost got killed by one, ran away past one of those huge muddy monsters and a couple of Darkwraiths, only to enter the Four Kings fog gate with no Covenant ring.

I ended up losing around 300k souls and 30-40 Humanity. It was the first time i lost that much.

DanTastic

Post by DanTastic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:48 pm

I had a fairly embarrassing incident just today, actually.  I had what I mistakenly thought was a brilliant plan for some New Londo item farming: Slip on the Ring of Sacrifice, get myself cursed in the Depths, respawn at Firelink retaining the souls picked up from fighting Kirk, level-up and have a jolly old time hitting ghosts with a katana.  No transients needed.  It turns out that dying via curse negates the souls retention of the RoS.  And I felt like such a butthead.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:02 pm

That's why we have Rare Ring of Sacrifice. It works even if you get killed by Curse.

DanTastic

Post by DanTastic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Absolutely, but the the sticking point was that I wanted to be cursed.

Edit: Incidentally, and not to veer too off-topic, but what're the origins of the images in your sig?  They look awesome.

Last edited by DanTastic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Questions. Always more questions.)
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:12 pm

Ah. Now I understand what you wanted to do.
    Hmmm...
    No matter how I think about it, you have to die and lose your Souls and all in a bloodstain if you want to get Cursed. Rings won't help there at all.

The gifs are from the game Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. happy

Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:20 pm

In every game i play, i tend to get lost easily. i also avoid blighttown like the plague.

On my SL1 playthrough, i killed every boss for the sake of completion, including the gaping dragon, but i didn't feel like going through most of what i consider the most annoying level in gaming, i went through the valley of drakes shortcut. killed Kellog, ok great. however, my legendary memory and sense of direction combined with SL1 led me to run in circles and get shoved off the platforms for 3 days before getting to the top and finding out that the door to the depths only opens from the depths....crying 
    Add two more days of runing in circles, falling off that spinning wheel and dying to dogs and toxin on the way out.

I don't even know why i didn't try to get out through the valley of drakes in the first place

Last edited by Hue on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    [i]Huehuehue.[/i]

DanTastic

Post by DanTastic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    The gifs are from the game Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. happy

I'll be adding that to my Post-Saints Row 4 list thusly, then.
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Ted and Fred.

Only part that actually made me rage quit the game the first time I got to them.

BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodTempest on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm gonna take a guess and say Ornstein and Smough?
    Bassman Bob
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bassman Bob on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am

When i one-shotted gwyn on my secon playthrough. It was a glass cannon build, but still.

E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------22--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Disciple of the Exiled of Ariamis.
    GT: JazzBlaster J

gateslol7

Post by gateslol7 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 am

"Ted and Fred" not gonna lie first thing that popped into my head was those DGbow archer twins in anor londo...

Somehow I greased my way past them the first time I ever got there, even killed the "extra" one for the soul of a hero, the entire thing just went off without a hitch, I was extremely surprised to learn people had trouble with them

then I made another character, realized I got lucky the first time, and cried (repeat about 10 times per character)
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 am

Fighting the forum gods else wise know as the mods and guys like Tolvo, Glatts, and Amos back in his prime.

PSN- ViralEnsign_

[[11:09:53 p.m.] Robb "the Ensign_": The sexual tension is enough to blow wyrms head off
    [11:10:04 p.m.] Kwith: Woah.
    [11:10:08 p.m.] Kwith: ..Woah.
    [11:10:14 p.m.] Robb "the Ensign_": FATALITY!
    [11:10:16 p.m.] ◥▶️_◀️◤ TehInfamousAmos: AHAHAHAHAHAHA
    [11:10:19 p.m.] Tolvo: You want to see sexual tension.
    [11:10:20 p.m.] ◥▶️_◀️◤ TehInfamousAmos: BEASTIALITY
    Extofogeese

Post by Extofogeese on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 am

Has to be the time I was doing a run from fire link to blight town, god himself was making sure I was going to make it down there alive. I've made the run a hundred times and rarely die but this time was going to test every ounce of patience I had. I died in everyway conceivable. I fell from the platforms multiple times, got crushed by the troll guys, became toxic from the blow dart guys, miss judged the moving wood elevator, even forgot to pull the lever and fell down elevator shaft below fire link! I was in utter disbelief, I thought I had lost every shred of skill I had in dark souls. I've sworn a vengence against that route ever since! B*****d path

Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodTempest on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 am

@Extofogeese, try the Valley of the Drakes shortcut next time?
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:53 am

By far the most painful experience for me was trying to beat the 4kings for the SL10 event.  Normally, I'd have better equipment, but because of the restrictions on the event and the build I'd chosen, I couldn't use power within and was only wielding a lightning spear +5 (upgraded from the one in Sen's).

Oh, it's possible, but prior to that playthrough I had no idea how to dodge them with *consistency*.  You don't have much margin for error, either.  Even if you hit them multiple times between attacks, you can't afford to get grabbed more than maybe one time (and not by the first king), nor can you afford them spamming AoE magic blasts too much.

My ability as a PvE player changed drastically across those failed runs.  That one experience alone made anything before NG+ O&S trivialized.  However, it definitely felt like "training from hell".

If I were to do it again, I'd use a better weapon, maybe RTSR too.  I didn't want to use those things though, because I knew it was possible and was annoyed I kept failing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:37 am