Messengers of Velka: Lordran's Last Chapter Begins...

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: Messengers of Velka: Lordran's Last Chapter Begins...

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Ok, head to Anor Londo.

Messengers of Velka proudly allied with: The Exiled  Coffee! MoV Chat Coffee!
    Renegade

Post by Renegade on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:16 pm

dark or regular.

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Ok, guys... clocks ticking on EotW submissions/voting (about 4 1/2 hours left).  I've got two last minute submissions:

Going Down?:

I'm double-dipping with the :blue-orb:  and the covenant ring at the Solaire bonfire  in AL.  I get a SoV invasion from the orb; cool those are rare.  I get all worked up to fight a group of questers for a change.  Oops... dark AL.  I used to detest dark AL and I've come to like it very  much and it's my go to spot for invasions.  However, invading it with the orb is not my preference.   I spawn and see "summoning phantom' immediately.  Ok, this should be quick and easy… grass/buff  -- just gold pine resin, in case he's not there.  A wise move; he's nowhere to be found; I make my way towards the Great Hall.  Another attempt to summon… when I get to the Great Hall I spot a dark figure standing on the ground floor.  I grass and decide to get closer before I use the DMB -- it's dark, heavy armor; it might be the NPC.  It is, well played again!  Except I'm burning through grass like Snoop Dogg.

I head for the boss room area. Not by the stairs, not inside.  Normally I skip checking upstairs, but since he's trying to summon, I head that way.  The whole time I'm turning, looking behind me and zig-zagging; fearful of the notorious dark AL fog/hornet ring combo.  Or just someone hiding in dark AL is enough, the fact he's desperate to summon suggests he's more likely to pull something like that also.   I look to the Smough elevator first, it's down, but I'm too far away to make it.  So I go for Ornstein's.  Once up, I notice some soul masses across the way.  I move forward staying behind a pillar, now I finally use the DMB, more grass *cough, cough* and move in.  The host is facing away from me which is to be expected with the soulmass spells.  However, not only does he not move at all as I approach (you'd expect him to face sideways and feint) -- he's positioned right next to the elevator and facing it!  LOL -- he saw me go that way and is waiting to ambush me, How cute!  I walk right up and 1-shot him with a BS.  His corpse falls right onto the elevator, just as it's on it's way down.

Hello! ...and goodbye:

I spawn in -- Duke's Archives??? daf- confused  My Logan Swag hat must have glitched me here... silly oh, well... might as well kill someone while I'm here...  

I wander into the section with the bonfire and see corpses and smashed tables and chairs everywhere.  I ready HCSM and head towards the bonfire, perhaps he got bored waiting for signs.  Nothing, I turn around -- OH SH-- HELLO!! surprised   I see a white with magic weapon on a great club, a mage and the host with 5 soul masses of his own all bearing down on me.  The don't look like the sort to negotiate so I head for higher ground.  I notice I'm not pulling away from the club guy, though, so I turn around quickly to avoid the inevitable vacuum stab.  Good timing for once!  He does a jump attack instead (clearly wanted a BS) and flies right by me.  Now his back is right in front of me.  I don't mind if I do, the BS 1-shots him.  These guys ended up being fairly low SL, but he must have had a glass cannon BS fish build with hornet ring -- I was very glad to be rid of him quick and clean.  Next up a fellow MLGS pro white phantom; I launch a CSS, then re-cast HCSM.  The mass split, 3 going to the host but the 2 are enough to stun the white and I'm able to put him away with some good ol' fashioned R1 spam.  Finally, I get a good look at the host.  LOL; he has the entire channeller set on!  I could be a coincidence that they emerged from where you get the channeller set, but I personally choose to believe he just picked it up and put it on right before he fought me. silly He stands his ground for a sec, but I do some damage and he turned to run.  Look Skyward  I fire a CSS then casually stroll by before I depart with his my ear.

Physco:  Try to do regular, but if you aren't getting much action do my double dip trick from above. silly 

...That reminds me... Soris brought up opening the rules up for where we can send scouts.  

the rules wrote:Rank 1 - Scout of Velka. Will be sent by a commanding officer to purge sinners in the area of our choice (one of the areas that isn't a 2+ location). As a scout we may move you to another location if we find more danger there.
    I think the last sentence is vague enough to give us some wiggle room.  So, we'll go ahead and add some other locations in as the scouts approach rank 2.  But, I'm going to leave the rule the way it is.

Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Paragon on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:
    [size=16]Physco:  Try to do regular, but if you aren't getting much action do my double dip trick from above. silly

YOUR trick?!?!?  Really now, as I recall, i believe it was I who taught you that trick Hughey old bean. It seems we (and by we i mean you) have become forgetful in my absence. Tut tut Hugh, I am shamed. 

PvE  Have at thee, presumptuous knave!!!!

"Prepare to get Mike Tyson'd, Sinner"
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 am

That's for stealing "wog rag" from me!

robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:30 am

Been hunting sinners alot over the weekend, out of intersest what sl you use?

EXILED of ARIAMIS  Join UsBeckon
    Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Paragon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:48 am

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:That's for stealing "wog rag" from me!  

You win this round Johnson

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 am

Paragon wrote:

You win this round Johnson
    LMFAO laughing 

@robs: We don't have any level restrictions, so whatever gives you invasions/you feel like playing is fine.  

If anyone missed it on page one; the formula for lowest level you can invade as a SoV is: x-(50+x/5).  However, that says nothing of prioritization.  I've been meaning to experiment with lower SL invasions to see if that would help get more invasions, but haven't done that much yet.  I like my triple digit SL builds... sad 

In any case, glad to have you hunting sinners with us, robs.  I look forward to your ear of the week submissions.  Speaking of that...

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:20 am

Ok, ladies & Gentleman; voting for the inaugural Ear of the Week has officially closed.  And the winner is..... um, well, er... Me! blushing   Hey Luvz, you were right!  I did win this round. winking   Thank you to those who voted and to Luvz for submitting.  I hope to see more submissions in the future.  And now, I proudly present the first ever EotW, "The Free Lesson"!

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:
    I spawn in the Great Hall in Dark AL.  I usually check outside first, the stairs are down so I check it out.  Someone else invades right before I get to Gwyn's tomb, I don't hear the spawn but I check anyway -- nobody there.  Back up and to the Great Hall I go.  I spot the other invader; it's a blue with the fog ring on.  I try to get his back, since he's probably checked a few places I figure he's got a better idea where to look at this point.  But, he's acting erratic, so I leave him and head to the bonfire -- but he follows me.  I use some grass because I don't want to have to stop to do it (especially since I'll buff first anyway, if I have the time) and odds are the host will either be very close or nowhere to be found.  The blue starts swinging at me with some kind of dagger (I think Priscilla's).  So, I figure screw this guy... each man for himself.  I leave him again and head to the spot I wanted to check next anyway... the ledge.  I get to the top of the stairs up and I notice the blue has followed me again. Look Skyward So I pull out my gold tracer and slash at him a few times (I totally won).  I go out (the blue leaves me finally), nothing doing... I pop a humanity to top off the fall damage and I notice the gate to the Giant Blacksmith is locked (that's a big no-no, I always open shortcuts when possible -- never know when I or a future invader will need it) and re-enter the hall.  The blue is on the side stairs standing around, I race up towards the Blacksmith... but notice a green haze atop the stairs!  The host!  He heads for the ledge and goes out, clearly not seeing me (I guess he was investigating my fall damage -- a little late, pal).  I ready the wog, finally I catch up and he turns around just in time to catch a wog that knocks him off -- I follow with a plunge.  The other blue shows up in time to see me kneeling in prayer over my victim. That's how ya do it, jerk! silly Although, in writing this I realize he must have opened the shortcut to the Blacksmith... so well done to him for that at least.
    And with that week one is in the books.  I have updated the Ear of the Week post adding a Wall of Champions, engraved the trophy and listed the candidates for week 2.  Voting for week 2 EotW is now open (don't forget vote for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place).  And make your submissions for week 3!

Current Submissions:

Week 2, ending August 11, 2013:

Gank/toll fail:

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:I invade dark AL and spawn where the 1st gargoyle fight is.  I see a white tank and it looks like the host is standing shoulder to should with him just barely on the stairs, but the host is difficult to make out in dark armor at a distance.  It becomes apparent I was seeing things when the stairs go up.  Oh, boy... the stairs come back down before I start to seriously consider leaving (not very long).  The white hangs back a bit, but the host is not intimidated by my HCSM and meets me head-on.  He eats a few of them and I try to combo a CSS, but he goes for a futile roll-stab (I'm just on the stairs).  I turn and go to town with my MLGS.  Finally, he escapes the stun-lock with a sliver of HP and begins roll-spamming.  I don't even bother switching to my rapier, I kill him standing on the crack where the stairs join the solid walkway.  Right as the host dies I hear the switch for the stairs.  I step forward to make sure I don't fall.  The host is dead and the white is about 3 steps away from me (best Ganker NA) -- yet there goes the staircase.  I  start spamming CSSs at the white desperately trying to kill him before I load out.  He's unable or unwilling to stop it and I'm actually able to get off 3 CSSs and kill him.  Right after he dies the mysterious switch operator shows up (these guys have really bad timing).  It turns out not only are they trolling with the stair switch (trying to, anyway -- I think I was meant to fall the first time they pulled the switch, too), but they're using the super-scumbag summon a friendly red tactic.  Look Skyward  

BOOM! HEADSHOT!:

Paragon wrote:
    So as you can probably guess from the title, someone in this story is gonna get shot in the head... kind of self explanatory really but i digress.

Anyway my story begins in the kiln, invading with my sl 122 Q build. The extra 2 levels are so i can equip at least one pyromancy. I initially planned to equip GC but for some reason I dont have Quelanna on this play thru, so I had to settle for regular combustion. I realized that while using a weapon like the bastard sword, alot of people will try to parry it. My reasoning was that if i end up fighting somebody who like to spam parry, i trick them into parrying so i can hit them with combustion. It doesnt do a whole lot of damage but it works in principle so once i get GC ill be doing more damage.

In addition to a pyromancy glove, plus 15 (no idea where I got it from since quelanna aint around on this playthrough) I also have a +15 composite bow for dealing with mages at a distance. This particular invadee was not a mage of any sort, but I had killed him handily already with a well timed riposte so i decided to mix it up on this second invasion. I would hit him with my sword, combustion, arrows, firebombs, and kicks to keep the fight lively.

As our battle neared its end, I was at the halfway point of my health bar and so decided to finish him with an arrow. So i pulled out my composite bow but instead of locking on to him i accidentally went to manual aim mode. I almost panicked as he ran towards me with his scythe but instead of backing out and dodging I decided to risk taking the hit and so loosed my arrow.

What happened next I had not seen occur in a long time. As everyone knows when you land a headshot on your opponent they stumble backwards regardless of how much poise they have. In this case the headshot was also the killing blow and so instead of simply staggering backwards and falling down, my opponent with an arrow now lodged firmly in his skull spun around forcefully as if he had been slapped silly and fell to the ground with a most comical "flop."

The resulting laughter almost brought me to tears. Tho rather than laughing at my opponents misfortune, rather i laughed at how silly and inane the developers had made this particular animation and at how out of place it seemed in a game so incontrovertibly dark in nature.

Going Down?:

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:

I'm double-dipping with the :blue-orb:  and the covenant ring at the Solaire bonfire  in AL.  I get a SoV invasion from the orb; cool those are rare.  I get all worked up to fight a group of questers for a change.  Oops... dark AL.  I used to detest dark AL and I've come to like it very  much and it's my go to spot for invasions.  However, invading it with the orb is not my preference.   I spawn and see "summoning phantom' immediately.  Ok, this should be quick and easy… grass/buff  -- just gold pine resin, in case he's not there.  A wise move; he's nowhere to be found; I make my way towards the Great Hall.  Another attempt to summon… when I get to the Great Hall I spot a dark figure standing on the ground floor.  I grass and decide to get closer before I use the DMB -- it's dark, heavy armor; it might be the NPC.  It is, well played again!  Except I'm burning through grass like Snoop Dogg.

I head for the boss room area. Not by the stairs, not inside.  Normally I skip checking upstairs, but since he's trying to summon, I head that way.  The whole time I'm turning, looking behind me and zig-zagging; fearful of the notorious dark AL fog/hornet ring combo.  Or just someone hiding in dark AL is enough, the fact he's desperate to summon suggests he's more likely to pull something like that also.   I look to the Smough elevator first, it's down, but I'm too far away to make it.  So I go for Ornstein's.  Once up, I notice some soul masses across the way.  I move forward staying behind a pillar, now I finally use the DMB, more grass *cough, cough* and move in.  The host is facing away from me which is to be expected with the soulmass spells.  However, not only does he not move at all as I approach (you'd expect him to face sideways and feint) -- he's positioned right next to the elevator and facing it!  LOL -- he saw me go that way and is waiting to ambush me, How cute!  I walk right up and 1-shot him with a BS.  His corpse falls right onto the elevator, just as it's on it's way down.

Hello! ...and goodbye:

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:
    I spawn in -- Duke's Archives??? daf- confused  My Logan Swag hat must have glitched me here... silly oh, well... might as well kill someone while I'm here...  

I wander into the section with the bonfire and see corpses and smashed tables and chairs everywhere.  I ready HCSM and head towards the bonfire, perhaps he got bored waiting for signs.  Nothing, I turn around -- OH SH-- HELLO!! surprised   I see a white with magic weapon on a great club, a mage and the host with 5 soul masses of his own all bearing down on me.  The don't look like the sort to negotiate so I head for higher ground.  I notice I'm not pulling away from the club guy, though, so I turn around quickly to avoid the inevitable vacuum stab.  Good timing for once!  He does a jump attack instead (clearly wanted a BS) and flies right by me.  Now his back is right in front of me.  I don't mind if I do, the BS 1-shots him.  These guys ended up being fairly low SL, but he must have had a glass cannon BS fish build with hornet ring -- I was very glad to be rid of him quick and clean.  Next up a fellow MLGS pro white phantom; I launch a CSS, then re-cast HCSM.  The mass split, 3 going to the host but the 2 are enough to stun the white and I'm able to put him away with some good ol' fashioned R1 spam.  Finally, I get a good look at the host.  LOL; he has the entire channeller set on!  I could be a coincidence that they emerged from where you get the channeller set, but I personally choose to believe he just picked it up and put it on right before he fought me. silly He stands his ground for a sec, but I do some damage and he turned to run.  Look Skyward  I fire a CSS then casually stroll by before I depart with his my ear.

Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Paragon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Sorry to stifle your creativity Hugh but i think we should limit the number of EotW submissions to once a week per person. Please continue to post all your zany tales of intrigue but i feel it would be fairer and also invite more competition if you selected just one EotW per week. After all it is Ear of the week not Ears of the week.

Its your game in the first place so ultimately its your decision but I think you should still take this into consideration.

Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Paragon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Also, im thinking of adding this to my sig:

Prepare to get Mike Tyson'd, Sinner.

If you get the reference and/ or think that it is funny enough to add to my sig then please rep this post. I will make the decision to add it if the up votes are greater in number than the down votes. Thank you in advance for any and all input.

EDIT: Since 1>0 (I can math, yay!!!!) I have decided to add the aforementioned quote to my sig. If the rep of this post changes in the future, i will change my signature accordingly.

Last edited by Paragon on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:30 pm

hmm... that's a thought.  I was rather hoping to have more submissions, frankly.  I take your point Luvz and I'd be glad to have more competition.  You are welcomed and encouraged to submit more than one.  As is everyone else.  The idea of Ear of the Week, for me though is for it to truly stand out.  If we're picking one or the other it kinda waters it down, IMO.  

I'll wait and see how this week goes.  If we get a few people sending in multiple submissions I'll go ahead and post 3.  If we don't get any more, I'll limit myself -- though I'd like to have at least three for the competition.  So, I'll probably throw out a second one if it comes to that and reassess the entire idea.

----

I'm luke-warm on the idea because he got DQ'd in that fight and was never any good after that.  How 'bout you turn it into a link?  I can fix a sig pic for you like mine as well.  That goes for any Messengers.  I've got a couple of pics, or if you have a good MoV kinda pic I can size it for a sig and pic a font to put "Messengers of Velka" on it.

Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Paragon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:34 pm

I figured it would be funny because he bit the guy's ear off and thats kinda what we do as SoV's

Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:05 pm

More like remove the ear by sword...you know there has to be a historical history behind the ear bring removed as punishment. I just wonder where and when.

Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:59 am

It's called cropping.

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 am

I had some fun with the Grant tonight.  I'm getting better with it, I think.  I usually get frustrated and quit at some point, but I was tearing people up left and right.  I fought one host 5 times; I killed him and his phantom both the first four times, the fifth time I got his phantom but he got me after my Grant started trolling me finally.  He had a great club and after I whiffed twice when I thought I should have at least done phantom range; he killed me with three phantom hits. angry Bad day 

I beat the hell outta him every time (including the time he got me), but he was no easy out.  I pelted him with Lloyd's but he still was able to use plenty of estus and a few humanities.  One fight I finally pulled out the Server and got him with a highly sophisticated combo (R1,R1,R1,R1).  Another fight a fellow blue showed up and he ran.  The blue kinda hung back, though, so the host turned after he got off the stairs.  I tried to wog him off, but managed to just stay on after one and move enough for the second not to send him flying over -- no matter a BS from the Grant (I have 50 str and 50 fai silly) really hurts. RIP in Peace.  big grin Another fight, it got to the point where I was thinking he was going to run out of estus pretty soon.  Like I said, I was not bashful with the Lloyd's either; I couldn't finish him with the grant or the grant or the grant.  I broke 2 grants, was on my third and went through all 3 sets (9 total) of wog.  He even resorted to dropping down to the stairs to get separation, healing and then coming back up.  In fact, I think I repaired on of my grants enough to cast another super-wog while waiting for him one time.  I eventually got him with a couple of hits in succession that got him low enough for me to switch to my scimitar to finish him off.  He went to drop down again, but I was close enough for a plunge attack this time.  I didn't get to because the fall killed him and he did the gravity OP scream for a 15 foot fall! LOL  

I also made use of great magic barrier, I cast it and walked strait through a dark bead and sent a white scurrying away.  The white stopped and knelt down to cast a miracle -- I could get there in time to land a BS, but I saw it was twop in time to hit the super-wog.  BOOM! white goes flying 15 feet away and dies!  And the host is now low HP and alone with a red and me.  Sadly it was the red who got to finish him after I went to cut him off from escaping to the rafters.  I destroyed another set of gankers who twoped me in similar fashion.  When I get twoped I'm glad a majority of the time, even when it's 2v1.  It always makes them over confident -- it's like they get twoped too.  They just run at me and try to hit me.  Landing spells or special R2s is easy when you're twoped.

Renegade

Post by Renegade on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:48 pm

keep in mind i am in mountain time so its 7 47 here since yesterday at 8 i have aquired ten ears 7 from dark anor londo and 3 from light

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38 am

Ok, head to the forest next.

vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Well I had my share of fun in Ariamis,met a fake revenant, a duelist half-naked spear wielder mage launching a barrage of crystal magic and failed to stop a player to get to the Exiled's Queen after invading him three times!

Is there a new assignment for me or shall I continue to exert the Purge upon the Painted World?

Will you accept your darkened humanity or be toyed by the Gods?
    I chose the illusion of freedom.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Proceed to the Demon Ruins.

Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 pm

Crystal magic? I miss those things. Were always fun to dodge and even use. Still have my Cirno toon if I ever want to be the "Strongest" Darkmoon hehe nah that will never happen.

Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 am

vatar5 wrote:Well I had my share of fun in Ariamis,met a fake revenant, a duelist half-naked spear wielder mage launching a barrage of crystal magic and failed to stop a player to get to the Exiled's Queen after invading him three times!

Is there a new assignment for me or shall I continue to exert the Purge upon the Painted World?
     Half-naked Spear wielding Mage sounds a LOT like one of my builds that hangs around the PW about sl100.

At anyrate this 125 event is Killerizing my playtime, takes so long to buy all the spells I need for a 125 build.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Call me crazy but I want to make a build based off my avatar. DWGR is a must for this one. I got another with a use for Smoughs hammer.

Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:52 am

I've been quiet, but fairly busy in the game.  I'm still working on the grant.  I do like it, but I get nervous using it in certain situations.  I was using a 160 for the grant, simply because I didn't like what I had at 125 and decided I might as well do a 50/50 grant.  But, I re-worked it on mugen to pare it down to 125.  I also tried to make a 100 that would have to 2-hand the grant... that did not go well.  Although I suspect someone who was more comfortable 2-handing their weapon at all times (and with a less laggy connection) could pull it off.  It did give me another idea, though.  

Along with the grant I've also been experimenting with some of the support miracles.  Replenish, would be great if you could cast it, but not have the timer start until you took damage.  As is, the best use so far was casting it after I took fall damage in an invasion to save a humanity.  Great magic barrier on the other hand is awesome.  I must me the only person who has chaos weapons as backups on my int builds.  I got away from two gankers in dark AL, made it to the stairs and cast GMB.  Does the mage white swap out his MLGS?  Nope, for extra LOLs he circles for an impossible BS.  A normal wog to stun them sets up a grant super-wog.  That did the white in and it wasn't long before the host joined him.

Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Well I am bored....Not playing the game when I want sucks but that is life for ya.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 25, 2017 5:39 am