Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Re: Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

Post by GrinTwist on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:49 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't keep a Mage in their party?

Normally I at least have one mage if I'm actually in a party but recently I've found just going into a situation alone is more efficient to kill off enemies instead.

@Plastic Interesting idea, I'll have to put a port crystal down by one of the drake spawns when I get back into the game.

Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 am

I just did it with ogres in the Cursewood and it worked really well. Put my portcrystal down within the outer walls of the Abby, on the opposite side of the cemetery, and I killed the two right nearby, then the 2 up the path a bit, bounced back to the inn with a ferry stone, slept 2 nights, just to make sure they'd respawn, then came back and did it again. Worked like a charm.

Spending the money to just have your materials duplicated at the Black Cat in some cases is more efficient than using all your ferry stones, but I just needed a couple ogre spurs and immortelles, between them it would have cost me almost 200,000 gold to get the amount I needed. Spending 40,000 on 4 ferry stones to bounce back and forth twice to each enemy is way more cost effective, and you get the xp and dp every time to boot.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

PSN: PlasticAndRage
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:15 am

The only one that I can really use for farming is by the bluemoon tower at the moment, it works great for killing the wyvern (?) that spawns up there post-game. It's an easy kill too if you play as an assassin in the game.

I might place one down by Cursewood and then my last one where the two cyclops spawn by all those hobgoblins. (I can't remember the area's name, sorry)

Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:18 am

I think Conqueror's Sanctuary is what you're talking about. The big valley arena with the balistas up on the hills surrounding it?

I haven't gotten the chance to fight any of the dragons except the red drake yet. I'm looking forward to it. Really enjoyed that fight.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 am

Yeah that would be the place that I'm thinking of. I won't ruin anything for ya with the other dragons, but depending on how you play in the game the other dragon fights will be a lot of fun.

Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:26 am

Ya know you can climb on oxen the same way you do with big monsters? It's pretty great. I just climbed up on one and just hung out there for a bit while he walked around and ate grass. Then I climbed directly onto his face and he started freaking out and trying to buck me off. Priceless. Almost as good as punching guard's horses in the face then running into the woods while they were trying to dismount in Oblivion. That Grey Fox Cowl just had endless possibilities.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 am

Oh god, skooma and the Grey Cowl was the best thing ever
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:40 am

and absolutely nothing else. It didn't affect the game at all, but something about running around naked on top of it just made it that much better.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:05 am

Attack the ox bare handed for it to aggro on you. Climb on top and lead it into a pack of goblins. Enjoy. big grin

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 am

Is it worth using MK abilities like the ripostes or Holy Wall? It seems like as far as the ripostes go when I equip them I find myself running around trying to coax out attacks so that I can block them and do damage, as opposed to just running around and hitting things in the head with my large bludgeoning tool. I just unlocked the group enchants, and it just seems like it'd make more sense to allocate a few of them instead. Thoughts? Also Holy Wall. Is that useful at all? Does it strengthen your blocking or just give you a larger blocking area? For example am I going to be able to block things like cyclops club swings with it or something? Because that'd actually be kind of cool, but otherwise it seems pretty useless.

Oh also Demonspite. It says on the wiki that the more damage you block with it the stronger the blast will be when you release it. Logic leads me to believe that would mean you could store up loads of damage and release an uberstrong attack. Yes? No?

Last question. If you're using a weapon with a natural elemental effect, can you still take spell buffs of different elements or will your innate element cancel them out?

Edit: I answered part of my last question for myself. But if you take a spell buff do you retain your innate element or does the buff element negate it for the duration of the spell?

I'm honestly having an easier time taking out aerial enemies with the MK than I was with the assassin. Throw down a cannon and you've got seeker bolts. Combo it and you've got a lot of seeker bolts. With the assassin you have to try to aim, which can be tough if there's a bunch and they're all flying in circles around you, even with flurries. MK can fire buff the whole party quick, for against harpies say, then use cannon, then combo the hell out of it, and there's nothing left. I prefer the MK vs aerial enemies so far.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:15 am

I believe all those shield skills are useless. They do well against human sized enemies, but it's usually not necessary, because you can kill everything with your weapon anyway. And blocking the big enemies is often not an option.
    I mean, most enemies are such pushovers there's no need to block them and hitting them with your weapon usually does more damage anyway. Demonspite was nerfed a lot, so the damage isn't as high as one might expect of such a skill. Holy Wall...no idea. I can tell you it doesn't do what it claims to do in the skills description, but what it does is beyond me. I always thought it's just a giant shiled that will cover my whole party, but it doesn;t do that at all.

The team buffs are great, but they're weaker then the normal kind of buffs and don't last as long. They serve well if you want to teach your pawn to buff you though, especially in strange situations as mid fight etc.

If your weapon has, let's say Fire and you buff it with Ice, the Ice will overwrite the Fire innate buff and adds it's Magic damage to it's own, resulting in very powerful Ice buff. It doesn't strenghten the buffs secondary effects, like stuns, heals, etc. though.

Great Cannon is a great skill, but as I said, it has horrible vertical homing, so in most cases it completely misses flying enemies. Harpies and such are ok, but you have no chance in hell of hitting a Dragonkin, Gryphin, or Strigoi with it. Staff Bolts to a much better job, but usually lack range (depends on buff though) and stagger potential to bring the enemy down. I you fight an enemy without a weakspot (the skill targets random body parts, so it's unreliable on enemies with weakspots), let's say a Chimera, planting two Great Cannons and hitting both of them with melee (Full Moon Slash works wonders) results in devastating damage.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Oh Full Moon Slashing them is a great idea. I've been Antler Tossing them, because it hits a couple times fast and can be spammed, but FMS is probably more effective, and will hit more than one. Good call.

I noticed that the buffs don't seem to last as long. I'm thinking about jumping back to mage as far as the passive that makes your buffs last longer to make them more useful. Outside the buffs I'm really not that impressed with the magic shields. It's a damn shame you can't equip a staff as your secondary. A class with a mace/sword and a staff equipped at the same time would be godly. I do like the MK thus far, but I am considering checking out the MA just for the hell of it. My build so far would work for either one, so it wouldn't hurt to see which one I like better.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm

MA's bow is essentially a staff, so you got spells and daggers, which is a epic combination imho. The only problem I have with MA is that it has only two decent offensive skills and the rest is way too situational. Those being Ricochet Hunter and Sixfold Bolt. Alhtough I also like the Gleam and use it instead of Lantern. Makes for epic lightning effects in night combat.
    MA has one of the strongest attacks in the game. Great Sacrifice. The skill perma kills your pawn (you have to re-summon it from Riftstone) and adds it's lifeforce to shoot a single, giant AoE explosion. It can kill a Drake with single shot in it's heart and the AoE can clear half of Gran Soren's distrcit from residents, but it does cost you your main pawn, so it's not something I can use.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:23 pm

yeah I can't see myself doing that too often. I'm going to give it a try though. My only reservation is that I like having a big bludgeon and wearing heavy armor. Plus the whole idea was to make myself and my main pawn wholly different from each other in order to compliment each other better, and I like my main pawn better as a ranger than I did as a warrior. I guess we'll see what happens though.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Dragon's Dogma has one thing in common with Souls games. Dodging > armor. That's why I prefer daggers. With the roll, I can evade almost every attack and quickly escape to safety. Adding Instant Rest on top of it, I am literally unstoppable, which means almost nothing can hit me unless I make a mistake and staggering me is impossible. No amount of armor and shields will give you that. But that's just me. happy

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 pm

I honestly didn't use the roll at all when I was an assassin. I have a tendency to either just take hits trying to kill whatever it is before it can really damage me, or fight from a distance. I forgot I had the roll for a good portion of that. I haven't really been using my shield for blocking for that same reason either. Heavy armor suits me for that reason. In DD anyway.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:04 am

Is there anything I should be doing/wrapping up before I go into the Final Battle quest? All my side quests are done except the one where you have to find the Snakeskin Purse, which I can't seem to do. Don't tell me where it is if you know though. I like trying to figure stuff like that out on my own.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:55 am

Have you done the quest with the Duchess? It's easy to miss.
    If you did, or did not, then you can go face The Dragon.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:47 pm

I love little details in games which can be used to the player's advantage.

You may, or may not yet run into the possibly most annoying enemy in the game. Hellhounds.
    They're slightly bigger than your average wolf, but they can coat themselves in fire, which damages you when you melee them, they can spit very fast and accurate fireballs and will gladly spam you with them. These fireballs and their attacks have a high chance of knocking you on your back and that's when the Hellhounds rush for you, drag you away from your pawns and start biting you, which does huge damage and takes a while to break free from.

However. A simple Flask of Water, will not only put off their flame coating, but will also force them to do shake themselves to get the water off their fur, just like real dogs do. They do this as soon as you hit them and it makes them extremely vulnerable, because they won't attack you, nor move at all until they finish this animation.

It's the little things, but they can make your day when you find them. happy

The best thing about this is that you can teach this trick to your pawn and it will do it the next time it fights Hellhounds (if it has high enough Utilitarian and the required items). This way, you can abuse AI's nearly perfect accuracy to take care of these annoying pests in a matter of seconds.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I did do the Duchess in Distress. I followed her quest line until she left to go back to her country. I'm guessing that's all of it? I didn't really like her. I wanted my Arisen to get with Selene instead. She had more depth of character if you ask me, and is just more my type of woman.

I haven't seen hell hounds yet. I need items from them for a bunch of my final enhancements though. Probably like 4 of my pieces of equipment across my Arisen and my main.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Doesn't matter if you like her, or no. What matters is that your Arisen probably committed adultery with her and she's like what? 14? You deserve some quality jail time mister! big grin

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:25 pm

The game certainly implies that you do when you rescue her at the manse. Then her guards give you the silent honorable high five. Gransys is a strange place.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Yeah. All the romance crap in DD sucks to high heaven.

I ended up with Duchess the first time, even though I rarely spoke to her and I gave Arisen's Bond and lots of presents to Quina and Mercedes. I did got Quina later on though, but it didn't change anything. My Arisen is a pedo and I can't do a thing about it.

My lady got Duchess at first as well, even though her Arisen is female. The game disregards your gender and proceeds as if you're male. 

Not like the romances give you anything. :/
    DD has amazing combat and epic gameplay in general, but the narrative, characters and story are on the level of a low budget PS 1 game.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:15 pm

We're in total agreement there. The whole affinity system is pretty ridiculous. With all the quests there are that end in choices between either moral or immoral resolutions you'd think they would have just implemented a karma system instead. The whole Fournival quest line for example, or the quest where the Duchess has you meet her in her bed chamber and you can either interrupt the Duke or not. There's all kinds of things that could be karmic decisions that don't really effect anything, save keeping certain NPC's around longer or making your affinity higher, which does pretty much nothing.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm pretty sure if you just run through the main quest and don't talk to anyone beside quest-focused business (non-affinity raising actions) the game gives you Ser Maximilian as your default "love."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm