Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Reaperfan
The Once-Ler
densetsushun
FinPeku
8 posters

Making a new build... Using sorcery

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Making a new build... Using sorcery Empty Making a new build... Using sorcery

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:02 am

Right, so creating a new sorcerer build which I'm gonna theme on using fire magic, buffing my weapon with fire with the uber turpentine.

So.. Anyone got any suggestions on stats, equips and what spells I should get? Thanks for the input guys happy

Oh, and she's also called burnette, which is a sorta combination of a pun on brunette (even though she's blonde), and being a female version of a character off another game, who uses a kind of fire magic. Just so you know silly
    befowler
    befowler

Making a new build... Using sorcery Empty Re: Making a new build... Using sorcery

Post by befowler Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Recently got summoned by a guy who would cast a sorta mobile firestorm and just run through the level frying everything.  I assume this was some sort of spellswap glitch or something.  So don't be That Guy. silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Making a new build... Using sorcery Empty Re: Making a new build... Using sorcery

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:06 pm

I don't intend to be!

But I do intend to use all the fireball, firespray, combustion (forget the name) spells since they're all cool. Besides.. I don't even know how to do glitches (except the anti farm one)

Seriously guys, can some of you suggest stats? I've never done a demons souls pvp build before, I've only done the PvE bounce 
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 pm

All I really know about DeS is that diminishing returns start at 30, so it's always good to raise Magic to 30. You'll want a huge MP pool too and more slots, so int to 30 is definitely a good idea.(I could have mixed the two stats up, but whatevs silly). Dragon weapons are actually useful in this game, as opposed to Fire weaps, so I'd say use those instead of buffing with turpentine. Grab a good weapon you wanna use, say, Knight Sword, get that up to Dragon+5. If you're going to buff, buff with the good stuff like Light Weapon.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Is it going to be SL 120?
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Fireball is your best friend and should be your main and most often-used spell as a fire mage.

Fire Spray is alright, but not great (at least for PvE) since it doesn't stun enemies.  It's good in PvP as a quick poke spell to keep pressure on though.

Ignite is awesome both in PvE and PvP.  More powerful than Fireball for a ridiculously low MP cost a well as having a near instant startup.  When forced into close-range fighting this will melt faces (get it?  "Melt," because it's hot) and you can use nearly indefinitely without having to spice back up.

Firestorm is basically the same as it is in Dark Souls, albeit with faster startup.  Awesome to have against certain bosses, but generally a situational spell.

As for equipment, you're just looking at your standard fare for casters.  Monk's Headwraps, Ring of Magical Sharpness/Friend's/Foe's Ring, Kris Blade +5, filling in the rest of the slots with whatever you want.  Though I've found Old Ragged Robes and Binded Set are most common for female caster characters, and if you want to Black Turpentine buff your weapon just go with whatever you like upgraded down the Quality path.  As to the catalyst choice, it all depends on if you think you can handle the MP shortage of the Insanity Catalyst.  Fire spells generally cost alot of MP (at least relative to magical spells), so if you don't want to be spicing all over the place then Wooden Catalyst is your best bet. Pushing a ToB would also work to get the power of the IC without the MP loss, but then you'd have miracles in the mix and that wouldn't be very "Fire Mage" would it?

Stats are pretty easy too.  You can basically ignore endurance, pump Magic to 40, Intelligence to at least 36 for maximum spell slots (I'm pretty sure it's 36.  But since I can't remember exactly just keep going till you have 6 spell slots confused  ), if you're going for SC then Faith 16, with the rest of your stats going towards your Vitality and Strength or Dexterity to pump up your Turpentine-fodder weapon.

Then again, this is all me thinking of this more as a caster.  If you're going for more of a spellsword build with Black Turpentine being your buff then things will be entirely different and you can basically disregard my entire post past the spell usage.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:28 pm

FinPeku wrote:Is it going to be SL 120?

Yeah it's gonna be PvP build level

@reaper, I'll probably mix it between melee and casting. Tbh I just aim to make it and see where it goes from there. I don't think I'll use SC since it's so overused (least i hear), but I'll consider your magics choices.. I like being a cast heavy hybrid silly
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Hate to say it Seri, but you can't really be competitive in DeS without SC. Your opponents will almost always use it and you not using it means you have to fight them twice with the same health pool.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:51 pm

guess I hope in FC they ban SC then Shrug 

Frankly I might use it since it's literally 3 extra levels to what i was gonna use.. But it's so... ridiculous. I honestly have no idea what from were thinking when they put that in, it's up there with pre nerf dwgr and bed of chaos for top level of stupid.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:35 pm

I get bored of SC too, I've found a reasonable alternative is Warding.  Only blocks physical and makes you look like the Michelin Man, but has a fairly long duration and costs half the mana of SC.  It's also a spell and not a miracle, so you don't get spread too thin that way.  I'm still a DeS noob but I've killed more people with warding on than I have with SC.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Diminishing returns actually start at 50. It's viable to take all scaling stats up that high. 30 magic is going to nerf you as a pure mage, maybe if you were using it to buff LW it'd be ok. Think about building a pushed ToB mage or run a hyper mage using the ICat. Firespray on an outfitted mage (head wrap, sharpness ring, rat ring, morion blade off hand) with the ICat can make surprisingly quick work of an HP bar and you can move while casting it, have a stormruler in the offhand to punish the inevitable bs's. If you go the hyper route you can pump magic and int to offset the halved mana at the expense of some vit and end. And what's this nonsense about no Second Chance?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Well I just don't really like the idea of second chance. I used it on my faith build and honestly I felt like I was cheating basically when I beat the game whilst using it silly To be honest if it's really that crazy if I don't use it I might buckle.

I'm not sure about being a hypermode mage as I don't think I'm skilled enough for it.

I wish there was a mugen calculator so I knew how I could spread my stats to get decent physical damage but having a powerful long range attack.. I guess I'll have to feel it out or search for builds to take notes from
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Emergence wrote:Diminishing returns actually start at 50.
    Ah, I've read from multiple sources that it's at 30 so I've always capped there, but good to know that's a load of donkey manure.
    The Once-Ler
    The Once-Ler
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by The Once-Ler Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Crescent estoc is one of the best weapons a magic user has available.  It is amazing and you can keep your strength stat low if you are willing to use the dark heater shield (lowest str 100% damage shield).  The epee rapier is great until you get your estoc upgraded.  I used sc so I took faith to 18 so I could use the talismon of beasts.  I ran lower endurance and HP than most so I was able to hit 60-65 on my magic stat.  I only ran with ignite and firespray as spells for pvp usually, but changed them up with fireball and soul ray occasionally.  I only ran 3 slots for magic.  High magic estoc and insanity catalyst firespray was fun too!!!  This was definitely one of my favorite builds!  Hope this helps:)  If you are a dex fan then dual crescent kats is nice too but you need to boost str to 20 for that.  Nice no buff kat build though.  BTW, are more people from here getting into DeS?  I would love to jump back into DeS PvP If there is enough interest here:)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:07 pm

What about if I wanna use a turpentine buffed weapon? Preferably one that has good base damage but lower scaling so I don't have to worry about my str/dex too much (I don't mind if it's not optimal, but just for the build idea I'd like to have one)
    The Once-Ler
    The Once-Ler
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by The Once-Ler Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Well I just don't really like the idea of second chance. I used it on my faith build and honestly I felt like I was cheating basically when I beat the game whilst using it :PTo be honest if it's really that crazy if I don't use it I might buckle.

I'm not sure about being a hypermode mage as I don't think I'm skilled enough for it.

I wish there was a mugen calculator so I knew how I could spread my stats to get decent physical damage but having a powerful long range attack.. I guess I'll have to feel it out or search for builds to take notes from

It is not needed for pve, but it is a staple in PVP.  Without it you are at a real disadvantage.  Warding is just OK (great against strength and physical builds but useless against magic builds).
    The Once-Ler
    The Once-Ler
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by The Once-Ler Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Serious_Much wrote:What about if I wanna use a turpentine buffed weapon? Preferably one that has good base damage but lower scaling so I don't have to worry about my str/dex too much (I don't mind if it's not optimal, but just for the build idea I'd like to have one)

I would skip the turpentine and go with magic scaling weapons (crescent/moon0 and uniques like epee rapier.  Only need 9 str for rapier and estoc (10 for heater shield though).
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Like I said, I'm gonna use one even if it's not optimal for the sake of the build.. It's a fire mage, not a magic mage silly
    The Once-Ler
    The Once-Ler
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by The Once-Ler Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Wow, just realized how much I miss playing that game with these posts:(  BTW...Moon weapons out damage crescent until you magic stat hits the low 40s.  After that Crescent is King.  If you are planning on pushing to the 50's or higher definitely use crescent.
    The Once-Ler
    The Once-Ler
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by The Once-Ler Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Like I said, I'm gonna use one even if it's not optimal for the sake of the build.. It's a fire mage, not a magic mage silly

OK.  All the more reason to use the epee rapier though as it deals fire damage through your pumped magic stat:)  Plus it looks cool.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:20 pm

I've seen it before, it does look like a rather cool weapon too (plus I can turtle when I get scared in pvp, which is often silly )
    The Once-Ler
    The Once-Ler
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by The Once-Ler Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:26 pm

I liked using it for pvp and pve.  The fire damage looks cool and it is an s scale with magic at plus 5.  Fire mage huh...You will definitely dig the insanity catalyst firespray then with the Monk's Hat.  Sounds like a fun build you are preparing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:37 pm

I hope to have a lot of fun with it happy

Just to collect all the stuff and get it built silly
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:52 pm

If you want a fire based weapon maybe go the dragon route with it. It removes the stat scaling but may boost you past a turpentine buffed hardstone/sharpstone weapon.

For calcs, try kouryakubo's simulator. Not 100% accurate but it is close enough to get a clearer picture of expected AR: http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ds_en/item/weapons_attackcapability_ver5.html
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 am

Emergence wrote:If you want a fire based weapon maybe go the dragon route with it.  It removes the stat scaling but may boost you past a turpentine buffed hardstone/sharpstone weapon.  

For calcs, try kouryakubo's simulator.  Not 100% accurate but it is close enough to get a clearer picture of expected AR: http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ds_en/item/weapons_attackcapability_ver5.html

But are fire-elemental weapons ACTUALLY ON FIRE?!?! Black Turpentine wins through awesomeness factor silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:28 am