Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
St1cky1cky1775
Serious_Much
Pilgrim34
twigsterxd
jaythibodeau
9 posters

Connection Stability / Speed

jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Connection Stability / Speed Empty Connection Stability / Speed

Post by jaythibodeau Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm

When connecting to other players online, how do you tell whether or not you are the one that's lagging? Is there any way to reliably tell?
    When fighting other players, and if they start to lag all over the place, is that because of my connection, or theirs? Possibly both? I'm asking this because after moving about a month or so ago, my connections seem to have been overall more unstable.
    Is there any way to possibly improve my connection (something such as changing ports on my router, or any other sort of settings)?
    My internet speed is something like this:
    (results from speedtest, not really sure if they are even relevant to this problem)
    Ping 15 ms
    Download Speed 3.34 Mbps
    Upload Speed 0.84 Mbps
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Connection Stability / Speed Empty Re: Connection Stability / Speed

Post by twigsterxd Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Not really sure how to answer this but Download Speed 3.34 Mbps
    Upload Speed 0.84 Mbps seems pretty low to me. My mothers highspeed bell is faster than that. And she's on a basic package. My cable is faster than hers. Are you playing DkS on a pc? Because your Mbps will differ on a console.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Those results were from Speedtest.net on my PC. I might see if trying it on my PS3s browser would do anything. Although it sounds low, at what generalized point does having a low end connection show a noticeable difference?
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:35 am

From my experience, a stable connection is far more important than a fast one, even if it is considered to be slower. I lived in a rented house for university for most of this year, and we had an absolutely terrible internet connection speed, less than 1.0mbps and often no faster than 60K. However, despite the slowness it was actually very stable and if my housemates were not using it I could play DkS lag-free.

I used my laptop to bridge a connection between the internet and the ps3 for a time and when I checked the data being sent and received whilst playing Dark Souls online, it really wasn't very much. No more than 30kb per second.

At home, we have much faster internet overall, closer to 8.0mpbs but because of our location and the number of devices connected to the internet in our house it is much less stable and there is often noticeable lag when playing, often to the extent where I lose my connection and the game returns me to the title screen. It's particularly bad when someone else in the house starts using a laptop or desktop since the router seems to prioritise for those devices at the expense of the ps3.

If you can, try and play the game at a time when your ps3 is the only device using the internet and see how your gameplay is, since you may have a similar problem to me.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 am

^ Alright, that makes perfect sense. When you're playing, and you see lag, is it in the form of the other player lagging everywhere? Or is it some other kind of noticeable difference? I want to make sure that I'm the one with the connection issue.

I just checked the internet test on my PS3. It said 1.9 Mbps for download and 1.2 Mbps for upload. So it sounds like that should be alright.
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 am

Hmm, when I am lagging what generally happens is that my online opponents tend to become stationary. During this time I can often lagstab them. When it's really bad they will take no damage and they will often float away if backstabbed. Usually a few seconds after this I will get the message "disconnected from master of world".

If my opponents are laggy then they will normally warp around and I will often find myself being lagstabbed or taking damage from no apparent attack.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:21 am

Huh, ok. From what it sounds like, I guess the people that I have been facing lately have been the cause. I think I'll just try opening a Dark Souls port for my PS3 on my router since it's supposed to help stabilize it even more.
    St1cky1cky1775
    St1cky1cky1775
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by St1cky1cky1775 Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Opening the ports helps a lot.
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:14 pm

It's just a shame that the game has such a poxy way of handling multiplayer.

Too many times I invade/get invaded by someone halfway across the world and will get lagshotted and stabbed to oblivion, it's maddening.

FROM should have implemented something to check the ping between hosts/invaders and make it so that you don't connect to people with high ping. Hopefully Dark Souls 2 will address this with its dedicated servers.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:35 pm

I have 10 mbps download and I still get a crazy amount of phantom hits, weird moveset glitches and general crap. To be honest I've started to think its pot luck. I've playing with guys in europe and had worse connections with them than I have with japanese or american players. It's kinda dumb really.
    St1cky1cky1775
    St1cky1cky1775
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by St1cky1cky1775 Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I have 10 mbps download and I still get a crazy amount of phantom hits, weird moveset glitches and general crap. To be honest I've started to think its pot luck. I've playing with guys in europe and had worse connections with them than I have with japanese or american players. It's kinda dumb really.
    I have 40 down and 10 up and still get people that lag hardcore like you mentioned. It's because of their connection most of the time.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:20 pm

This thread is providing some reasonably hard evidence of bad net code.

Net code should never make the experience worse than a simple connection to the host, giving the host whatever MS ping advantage there is.  If you're connected at 75 ms to a host and there were no net code interference, he would have less than a tenth of a second advantage on you.  This is not an atypical connection between two people in the same country/region of the world.  It's not a situation that should see phantom hits unless they were very, very, very close.

But that's not how Dark Souls (or a lot of other games) treats the situation.  They add a delay on top of that and try to make the game more "fair" in terms of correction.  However, ping times are not 100% stable and this compensation can utterly screw you.  I also profoundly dislike it as it has a tendency to punish people with better connections, which is the exact opposite of what should happen.

Edit:  If you have anything better than dial-up and aren't using the internet for anything aside from the game at the moment, badwidth shouldn't be a serious issue.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 pm

St1cky1cky1775 wrote:Opening the ports helps a lot.

How does one "open ports."
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 pm

TooLeet wrote:

You do it by configuring your router.  The exact interface looks a bit different on each router, but you should be able to find a reasonably decent walkthrough online by searching if yours is even somewhat common.

I forget xbox 360 ports used and if it varies by game, and never knew which ones Ps3 uses.  But, for example civ IV uses 2056 to connect over MP direct connect and minecraft can be set to use whatever you want in its config files.  Just look up the ports a game uses and then forward them to the address your router has assigned to your system.  You can tell your router to always give that system the same IP too usually, so that you don't have it flipping that around and forcing a re-config.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Just remember that some "lagstabs" and phantom hits are just bugs in the Dark Souls combat (Dragonslayer Spear anyone?). You can get backstabbed from a mile away and both players can have a perfect connection.

Sometimes it's just Dark Souls. Shrug 
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:16 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    TooLeet wrote:

You do it by configuring your router.  The exact interface looks a bit different on each router, but you should be able to find a reasonably decent walkthrough online by searching if yours is even somewhat common.

I forget xbox 360 ports used and if it varies by game, and never knew which ones Ps3 uses.  But, for example civ IV uses 2056 to connect over MP direct connect and minecraft can be set to use whatever you want in its config files.  Just look up the ports a game uses and then forward them to the address your router has assigned to your system.  You can tell your router to always give that system the same IP too usually, so that you don't have it flipping that around and forcing a re-config.

Doesn't sound worth it considering there's still gonna be lag from other players.

Meh.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:45 am

Worth it is a question of experience.  Once you know what you're doing, you can accomplish the above in somewhere between 60 seconds (already know the ports to forward) to 3-5 minutes (have to look up which ports first).

Some other games require port forwarding in order to be able to host direct connections.  Depending on your future intentions, it might be useful to learn.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:41 am

All in favor of servers cheers
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 am

Myztyrio wrote:All in favor of servers cheers
    THIS X1000

What is the port for Dark Souls on PS3 anyways?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm