Anyone ever done a "bows only" playthrough?

Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: Anyone ever done a "bows only" playthrough?

Post by Back Lot Basher on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Exclusive wrote:I've just started this challenge as having a real problem trying to get the Composite Bow.

Same here.  I tried a suicide run, but couldn't even get past that first building because the little buggers drop through the floor and get me below.  Although I've acquired the Stone armor recently, so maybe I could try charging through anyway.

I've done a SL1 run and relied on crossbows a lot, and you're right...they do kind of make some places too easy.  Going to try for a traditional bow only and see if I have any luck.

So, do you still use shields for defense, and then just time your shots for counter?
    Exclusive
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    Exclusive wrote:I've just started this challenge as having a real problem trying to get the Composite Bow.

Same here.  I tried a suicide run, but couldn't even get past that first building because the little buggers drop through the floor and get me below.  Although I've acquired the Stone armor recently, so maybe I could try charging through anyway.

I've done a SL1 run and relied on crossbows a lot, and you're right...they do kind of make some places too easy.  Going to try for a traditional bow only and see if I have any luck.

So, do you still use shields for defense, and then just time your shots for counter?

Because I couldn't beat them I decided to use a Halberd just to get to the bow and now all I'm using is the Bow, dropped all my other weapons into a random persons world.

As for shield I use the Dragon Crest Shield just because it has 100% physical damage, but I'm still dying because to fire with the bow you have to have it in two hands so having a shield is kinda useless, I lore my enemies into attacking jump back and shoot them with my arrows.
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Exclusive wrote:
    now all I'm using is the Bow, dropped all my other weapons into a random persons world.

That is true hardcore.  Kudos.

Sadly, I cheated to get the pharis bow (not sure why I bothered, since I don't have the stats to make it shine yet).  I went to clear the forest, and using arrows on the forest dwellers was doable, but I just couldn't take the tedium of it, so I backstabbed them.  All the regular areas I've been using a bow, however.
    Exclusive
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    Exclusive wrote:
    now all I'm using is the Bow, dropped all my other weapons into a random persons world.

That is true hardcore.  Kudos.

Sadly, I cheated to get the pharis bow (not sure why I bothered, since I don't have the stats to make it shine yet).  I went to clear the forest, and using arrows on the forest dwellers was doable, but I just couldn't take the tedium of it, so I backstabbed them.  All the regular areas I've been using a bow, however.

That's fine, I used a weapon to get my bow and so did you silly 

I might use the Pharis bow but I want to stay at level 5 so I can PvP with just the Bow and Arrow as well, on a previous build it was too easy at level 5 so this way will make it more tricky only using bow and arrows.

The only other time I've used a weapon was when I was farming souls but that was in Undead Burg so I was hardly getting any so just beat Pinwheel (Summoned Leeroy) and going to spend them souls on Fire Arrows. (Only have about 10 as I was using them on Pinwheel) So far I've beat the Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly and Pinwheel all with a bow, not been very tricky either. (Although I am summoning people as well, or is that not allowed?) Well I've only summoned NPC.
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:23 pm

By all means summon people; it's nice to see a variety of weapons and tactics in multi-player co-op or PvP.

Some invaders have ignored me and my crossbow only to die, Die, DIE.

chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:21 pm

Started this. Only had to use the shortsword briefly at the beginning (after Asylum Demon) to get more arrows after losing my boss souls. I was most scared about Capra too, yeah. But I summoned for that one. When most people do these kinds of challenges do they try to do them solo?

Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:04 am

chantienyee wrote:Started this. Only had to use the shortsword briefly at the beginning (after Asylum Demon) to get more arrows after losing my boss souls. I was most scared about Capra too, yeah. But I summoned for that one. When most people do these kinds of challenges do they try to do them solo?

Nice, took me about 5 tries to beat the Capra Demon but I finally did it, solo! As for the Solo part I wouldn't recommended it but if you want to go ahead. happy

Green__Eagle wrote:By all means summon people; it's nice to see a variety of weapons and tactics in multi-player co-op or PvP.

Some invaders have ignored me and my crossbow only to die, Die, DIE.

I'm probably going to summon people soon as the next boss I'm against is Ornstein and Smough. Beat the Iron Golem basically solo, I summoned Iron Tarkus but he fell off the map when the Golem had more than half it's health.
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Wow, thanks for pushing the merits of the Composite Bow.  I took another run through ghost town, and this time the little turds didn't follow me through the floor.  Made a run for the bow, then homeward bone out.  At +5 this little baby was one amazing piece of work on Capra.  I had died half a dozen times trying to use Pharis, but the draw time and damage was too weak in close quarters.  With heavy arrows, the CB one shotted the dogs, then it took about 8-9 shots to nail Capra.  Once he was alone it was a cakewalk.  Dodge, then backpeddle as you pepper him.  Did this solo (even after failing once in COOP).

Now I equip Pharis in one slot for longer range sniping, and the CB in the other hand for short range.  It's hard to judge when the distance warrants a change, but the CB seems to pack a punch in a surprising number of situations.  I'm also thinking I should make a Divine Shortbow for the eventual trek into the Catacombs.

I'd like to add that I am finding the Wolf's Ring extremely helpful in some of the tight quarters fights.  I had never thought about it, but it really helps to not get interrupted when firing the bow.  Obviously if I'm going to make that work with bigger enemies, I'll need to wear armor as well.  Anyone else carrying some armor for when they meet big baddos, or just going dodge all the way?  I'm a little wary of Sens.

I summon people all the time...not putting any restrictions on myself for that.

On a side note, let me know how you make out with PvP, bows-only.  I've never found them very useful, but maybe I just need to work out new tactics.  In fact, this morning, a dude invaded me, and was dodging all my shots.  I thought...this is pointless, so I went to the menu to gesture toward Hydra, thinking maybe he'd give me a hand.  He stabbed me in the back with a lightning weapon, then gave me grief in a message for not trying!
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Capra wasn't even really what I was scared of. It was the dogs. So far they've been the hardest challenge in the bow playthrough. And not just the ones in Capra's room either. I imagine Ornstein and Smough would be easier to solo -- would just take more time.

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Yes, getting those dogs out of the way quick was key.  That's where the Composite came in handy.  I needed to be able to one-shot them, and the Pharis couldn't do it in close quarters.
    Exclusive
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:17 pm

I agree, the Capra Demon itself was easy but the dogs were annoying, I even died to one of the dogs during the fight. As for hard I've left Anor Londo to buy arrows and upgrade armor but I'm having real trouble defeating the Stray Demon, just like the Capra Demon the space is too small to fight in and it's AoE attack is taking away most of my health. I watched a couple of videos of people taking on this boss with just a bow and in one video the guy got lucky as the Stray Demon got stuck.
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Exclusive wrote:I agree, the Capra Demon itself was easy but the dogs were annoying, I even died to one of the dogs during the fight. As for hard I've left Anor Londo to buy arrows and upgrade armor but I'm having real trouble defeating the Stray Demon, just like the Capra Demon the space is too small to fight in and it's AoE attack is taking away most of my health. I watched a couple of videos of people taking on this boss with just a bow and in one video the guy got lucky as the Stray Demon got stuck.

Are you leveling up like normal, or trying to do this at a low level?
    Exclusive
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    Exclusive wrote:I agree, the Capra Demon itself was easy but the dogs were annoying, I even died to one of the dogs during the fight. As for hard I've left Anor Londo to buy arrows and upgrade armor but I'm having real trouble defeating the Stray Demon, just like the Capra Demon the space is too small to fight in and it's AoE attack is taking away most of my health. I watched a couple of videos of people taking on this boss with just a bow and in one video the guy got lucky as the Stray Demon got stuck.

Are you leveling up like normal, or trying to do this at a low level?

Staying at a low level (5) But I beat the Stray Demon anyways happy It got stuck in this spot, the same spot it got stuck in the video I watched so just kept shooting it with arrows and killed it. Ornstein and Smough next!
    Exequim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exequim on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Did it with a Composite Bow+15. 40/40 Str/Dex.

I didn't pump vitality, so I found it necessary to always be on the move. It's easy enough if you know their patterns. Died to Gwyn a few times because he is a pro-dodger.
    Exclusive
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:30 pm

I just defeated Ornstein and Smough happy Took me two tries, first time I summoned a random player and Solaire but the random player died before either Ornstein or Smough were killed and Solaire died shortly after I killed Ornstein, so it was just me and Smough. Unbelievably I got him down to just 1 HP and died! lol I thought he only needed to be hit 1 more time so went for the shot but he still had 1 more HP and he killed me in 1 hit. Second time beat them with Smough the last one alive again, this time the Random player and Solaire were alive until the end. Was quite an easy fight.
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Exclusive wrote:... but I'm having real trouble defeating the Stray Demon, just like the Capra Demon the space is too small to fight in and it's AoE attack is taking away most of my health...

I know you defeated the Stray Demon already, but the way I did it was judicious use of the lock on/off function and running behind him when he does his AOE attack. His body blocks most of the damage. Then run up to his belly when turns around; if you're lucky and get the pattern down, he'll fly up (a couple of hits available), and drop down (then run up to his belly again hoping he flies up). If he does the AOE attack again, unlock, run behind him.

You have to unlock to run faster. I can't remember which arrows I used because I experimented with various ones to see which one did the most damage per separate bosses.

You'd be surprised. Sometimes the Wooden Arrow would do the most damage!

chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:20 am

Anyone down for bow co-op? It feels a bit cheap summoning regulars. I think this could be really fun. I'm leveling as regular -- at Anor Londo.

Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:27 am

chantienyee wrote:Anyone down for bow co-op? It feels a bit cheap summoning regulars. I think this could be really fun. I'm leveling as regular -- at Anor Londo.

I would like to as that would be really fun but I'm staying at Level 5, what console are you on also? this way if people do want to play with you they know what console you're on. happy

Green__Eagle wrote:
    Exclusive wrote:... but I'm having real trouble defeating the Stray Demon, just like the Capra Demon the space is too small to fight in and it's AoE attack is taking away most of my health...

I know you defeated the Stray Demon already, but the way I did it was judicious use of the lock on/off function and running behind him when he does his AOE attack. His body blocks most of the damage. Then run up to his belly when turns around; if you're lucky and get the pattern down, he'll fly up (a couple of hits available), and drop down (then run up to his belly again hoping he flies up). If he does the AOE attack again, unlock, run behind him.

You have to unlock to run faster. I can't remember which arrows I used because I experimented with various ones to see which one did the most damage per separate bosses.

You'd be surprised. Sometimes the Wooden Arrow would do the most damage!

Nice, I'll try this out next time I take on the Stray Demon as I normally struggle as I stay at a low level. Got any tips for the Four Kings? silly
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:41 am

4 kings? Chaos Composite Bow and Fire arrows. PW if you can.

You're level 5 but I'm not sure which bows/Xbows you have available to you. a +5 lightning Heavy Xbow with Lightning Bolts also will make big dents in the Kings. There seems to be a weird problem with Leo ring bonus damage for counters on the kings, the individual will take the extra damage but the total boss health will only take normal amounts of damage. This can help as you will clear the king out a bit quicker, but overall you're doing less to the boss and with a Chaos Comp Bow and 10 manatees you shouldn't have a problem keeping them down to 1 king at a time.

When I was doing my Bow only run I was in a really lucky spot where randomly I would get into RTSR range if I ate the homing explosion and my +5 estus was a full heal, so I could use the RTSR and just take a sip if I saw the homing missle, everything else was easy to dodge and my Occult Composite Bow was making short work of everything.
    Exclusive
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Jansports wrote:4 kings? Chaos Composite Bow and Fire arrows. PW if you can.

You're level 5 but I'm not sure which bows/Xbows you have available to you. a +5 lightning Heavy Xbow with Lightning Bolts also will make big dents in the Kings. There seems to be a weird problem with Leo ring bonus damage for counters on the kings, the individual will take the extra damage but the total boss health will only take normal amounts of damage. This can help as you will clear the king out a bit quicker, but overall you're doing less to the boss and with a Chaos Comp Bow and 10 manatees you shouldn't have a problem keeping them down to 1 king at a time.

When I was doing my Bow only run I was in a really lucky spot where randomly I would get into RTSR range if I ate the homing explosion and my +5 estus was a full heal, so I could use the RTSR and just take a sip if I saw the homing missle, everything else was easy to dodge and my Occult Composite Bow was making short work of everything.

I keep getting them to half health but end up dying. At one time I had 4 Kings after me because random ones spawn if you take too long, and I've also had my Bow break during the fight and ran out of arrows. lol
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm

I can't believe what a fantastic weapon that Composite bow is with this build.  I went to 27 Str and 40 Dex, and it absolutely wrecks enemies.

The Firesage Demon was my first moment of real frustration.  Took me many deaths before I realized my best strategy was to dive toward him as often as possible to avoid those axe swings, and also to make him jump away from me rather than firing his AOE attack.  I also used PW for this fight, since I seemed to be using my Estus a lot anyway.  After many tries, I got past him.  The centipede seemed like a walk in the park after that.
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm

This might have helped you  happy

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:39 pm

I didn't realize you could cause him to get hung up in all the branches.  That's good to know for later.
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:07 pm

I just used the Dragonslayer Greatbow+5 and fog ring to knock off both archers in Anor Londo. I think it took 5 shots for the one on my right and 2 shots for the one on my left. With each shot, they fell down and were pushed backward.

This is much better than using poison arrows, if you have the stats to use it.

Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Green__Eagle wrote:I just used the Dragonslayer Greatbow+5 and fog ring to knock off both archers in Anor Londo. I think it took 5 shots for the one on my right and 2 shots for the one on my left. With each shot, they fell down and were pushed backward.

This is much better than using poison arrows, if you have the stats to use it.

But to get it in the first place you have to get past them at least once. Maybe for NG+ runs it could be a convenience, but it doesn't stop the frustration of that area the first time straight face 

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 pm