Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
lordgodofhell
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
TellahsSorrow
cerealaire
PaPaSmVrf
Carphil
Odinbear
Pilgrim34
Hugh_G_Johnson
Lord of Ash
AnCapaillMor
15 posters

how do i parry in time during pvp

cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

how do i parry in time during pvp Empty how do i parry in time during pvp

Post by cerealaire Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 am

everytime i try it i fail what do i have to do? do i do it when the weapon about to hit? because when i do it i do it half way hehehe and it doesnt work what am i doing wrong
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

how do i parry in time during pvp Empty Re: how do i parry in time during pvp

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 am

Find a partner and practice timing. A lot of it is predicting when they're going to swing, different weapons have different timings. Most of the huge weapons you can parry on a visual cue but you have to be very quick, the rest you pretty much need to start the parry before the swing. There's some handy youtube vids with parry tips out there.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:47 am

Dont parry instead make up for it with some other skill or take the first hit and swing right after it hits itll parry the second if theyr spamming rb r1
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:15 am

Because of lag you have to parry much earlier.  In pvp; you have to predict when the person is going to swing.  You can sight parry some of the slower weapons, but you have to do it as soon as the swing starts instead of mid-swing like you would do in pve.  Here are some good instructional videos.  The last two are from jblackmel, check out his channel to see parrying in action -- he is an expert.

Spoiler:
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:07 am

These guys have said most of the points but I can't stress the lag factor enough. Many times I have attempted to parry against a laggy opponent only to have them teleport behind me for a backstab or suffer damage from their attacks 2-3 seconds afterwards. If you know that you have a good and stable connection but your opponent is visibly lagging I would advise against attempting any sort of parry.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:31 am

I'm just gonna add this...   Practice on the silver knights, the hollows are too easy. Once you get timing, move it to live players.  Now, your gonna miss the parry, maybe a lot, at first. I get so excited when I get a parry, I can't get into position fast enough to riposte, lol.  Happened again last night in the forest, parried but could not get in front of him fast enough to drop him to his back.  Did notice a more cautious opponent the rest of the match.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:04 am

already know about the silver or black knights but that kind of doesnt help as much because the of the weapon and the player,also thanks for the vids guys ill ask one of my dark souls buddies to practice pvp parrying
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:37 am

Hugh and Pilgrim nailed it, don't worry, after practing for a bit it becomes much easier, you'll udnerstand every weapon type and remember their "parry windows"

If you're confident enough, make a quality build (no magic) and go to the forest with nothing but a weapon and shield, and try to parry most as you can, I only truly learned that way

Also, Odin, that happens a lot to me haha
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 am

the jblackmel guy sounds like treeee dooooog
    PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PaPaSmVrf Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:40 pm

cerealaire wrote:the jblackmel guy sounds like treeee dooooog

its THREEEEE DOGGGG! OWWWWWWWWWW! COMMIN ATCHA LIVE FROM THE WASTELAND!
     good times
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:26 am

did i spell three wrong oh god oh god
    TellahsSorrow
    TellahsSorrow

Post by TellahsSorrow Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:09 am

A great instructional youtube vid is Jblackmel's parry instructions. just go to youtube and search martyrsbrigade99 or jblackmel and look at his playlists he has a parry instructional vid...very very informative.  But it does take practice and dedication to get comfortable and like another member stated do not parry spam you will get backstabbed.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

cerealaire wrote:the jblackmel guy sounds like treeee dooooog

I don't think so. They're both black but they don't really sound alike.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Practice parry with the small shields with fast recovery times. This will lessen the amount of times (which will be tons of times) where you get backstabbed during your recovery frames of waiving the shield. You'll find that fighting them without attempting any parries at first during the match, is usually the best way to land the precious parry late. Get them thinking you're a turtle, or someone with horrid attack timing. You'll bait them into attacking, which makes the parry a hell of a lot easier to land.

off topic: dead angling > parry
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm

then again thanks for the tips
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:59 pm

PvP parries are different than PvE parries. Due to lag, your parry is "delayed" on your opponent's screen (which is usually somewhere around less than half a second). In order for your opponent to get parried, they have to be parried on their side, otherwise you will partial parry (due to you unsuccessfully parrying, but being in a parry animation).

So, in order to make sure you parry them on your side, you must parry ahead of time by about half a second. This makes parries more of a tactical and mind-gaming technique than a reaction based move. In PvP, there exists 2 forms of parry:

1. Set-up parry: This is parrying a follow-up attack by blocking, outmaneuvering or tanking the first hit then timing the parry (with a half second delay in mind) so you parry the second. It is the most common and easiest parry performed as it just requires memorization.

2. Blind Parry: The more advanced parry that all the high-levele players use (Due to knowing others won't fall for Set-up). It is parrying the initial attack. Due to delays, as well as the player's own reaction time, it is almost impossible to simply Blind Parry. Instead, many players resort to mind-games and baits. Among the most common are:

A) Placing the opponent on a pattern. It is the most basic form. It consists of reading the opponent's reactions to certain moves, then forcing them to make them so you can parry it. One of the best examples is realizing the opponent uses a dash attack; you can bait the dash attack to parry it.

B) Baiting them. It is similar to (A), but this one is actually something more general since it is simply taking advantage of a playerbase's general reaction to certain situations. For example, after purposefully missing an attack, most players will attempt an attack (on instinct). When loosing an arrow, most players will instinctively roll attack.

C) Mind-games. Explains itself. These can come under the form of random parries. For example, when you rush in for an attack, you parry instead of attacking. Most of the time, it is interchanging an attack with a parry to confuse the opponent.
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Lord of Ash wrote:Dont parry instead make up for it with some other skill or take the first hit and swing right after it hits itll parry the second if theyr spamming rb r1

He wants to learn, don't tell him not to. doh
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:01 pm

For blind parries, I always try to put myself in my opponent's shoes. When will they attack? Pretend you're playing on their behalf. If they're using a fast weapon, hit the parry button when "you" would hit yourself. If they're using a slower weapon, add a few milliseconds.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Practice, practice, practice.

That's all there is to it. You can go into battle taking all these tactics into account but as soon as you start fighting you're gonna totally forget what you were trying to do. 

Just go out there, and parry. Parry your heart out. That's how i did it. I died over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, until i finally figured out how it worked.

At least in my experience, that's how it worked for me. 

With every death, you get closer to a higher understanding of how parrying works.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:52 am