Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Marino.
Tolvo
PlasticandRage
drdrack
Forum Pirate
Serious_Much
hey its andres
TheColdestHeart
KingSeekerCow
Reaperfan
GenericUsername
Elite Knight
Sentiel
TheMeInTeam
Peaceful Wollyhop
aceluby
KrazykevS10
nsane32
Onion Knight
AnCapaillMor
Carphil
shadowzninjaz
Dibsville
GrinTwist
densetsushun
29 posters

The worst video game of this generation.

Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The worst video game of this generation. - Page 2 Empty Re: The worst video game of this generation.

Post by Onion Knight Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 am

To stress a point here. This isn't about video games that are OBJECTIVELY bad but ones that are outright broken, lack content, overcharge and don't function as intended ... at all. I should of put this in the op but I forgot.

On a side note I think Tolvo has come closest to Ride to Hell so far with The War Z. That .... yeah ...
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

The worst video game of this generation. - Page 2 Empty Re: The worst video game of this generation.

Post by nsane32 Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 am

Elite Knight wrote:
    Carphil wrote:Any movie based game really, thor, iron man and stuff

Superhero games in general, really. Except the Batman: Arkham games. Those are just great.
    The Batman Arkham games are using the comic books
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 am

Onion Knight wrote:To stress a point here. This isn't about video games that are OBJECTIVELY bad but ones that are outright broken, lack content, overcharge and don't function as intended ... at all. I should of put this in the op but I forgot.

Easy and I shall name two,Rogue Warrior and Hour of Victory. Broken AI,constant visual clipping and other assorted glitches which can make both very unplayable.

Perhaps I should branch out from 360 on this.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Tolvo wrote:Oh wait a second, hold the phone!

The worst, the absolute hugest piece of garbage of this generation?

Let me present to you, Chip Cheezum's playthrough of The You Testament.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4bmmFlIUPU

Seriously... this is hilarious!
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Peaceful Wollyhop Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 pm

SirArchmage wrote:
    Dear Esther. That game doesn't deserve to be called a game. Even the story of it is pitifully generic.

You must have mistaken this game for another. Dear Esther is awesome!
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 pm

War Z takes the cake IMO.  I haven't played it, thankfully, but I've seen plenty of footage.  I've also seen the bully tactics the developers used against their own customers after repeatedly lying to them and ripping them off, constantly charging for lose-able microtransactions.  Silencing people on their forums, griefing people looking for a refund...they're in lawsuit territory.

And on top of all that, the game is objectively awful!  While lots of other games are too, the combination of their DLC charging/loss potential, broken game, and *deliberately* disgusting customer bullying (not even worth calling it service) make it easily the worst game I've seen or heard about.  The support is part of the game package, and rarely is the support an actively negative experience like it was in this case.
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:14 pm

The Elder scroll IV: Oblivion...

As a scrolls fan, i am prepare to die to defend this statement

And also current ff gen (especially that apple game bull)

Edit: and that game that is posted below me

Last edited by drdrack on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 pm

This at least has to be in the top 10
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 am

drdrack wrote:The Elder scroll IV: Oblivion...

As a scrolls fan, i am prepare to die to defend this statement

And also current ff gen (especially that apple game bull)

Edit: and that game that is posted below me

Sorry, but this is just stupid.  This game has design issues that may not appeal to you, but that doesn't make the game broken.  Skyrim had WAY more technical issues than Oblivion and while you may not like the game as part of the series, there's no way that thousands of people would invest hundreds of hours into a broken game.  This doesn't even come close to be deserving to be mentioned in this thread.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am

Oblivion had some design issues (level scaling and forced tedium in level-up being a chief offender), but it's nowhere near the travesty of the games that actually merit consideration in this thread.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 am

It's named Ride to Hell for a reason. big grin
    I'm surprised it's not made by Bethesda.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Disaster: Day of Crisis. Anyone?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 am

I really like Dead Island. I've played through it a few times now.

I'm going to say Rage. I disliked it intensely. Not at all what I thought I was going to be getting. It was advertised as a bethesda/fallout style game with Id weighing in, which was an exciting prospect. I feel like what it ended up being was more like Borderlands with bad systems and no multiplayer. I just didn't like it at all. I only owned it for a week.

Final Fantasy 13 was a bit of a joke in my opinion too, but I know not everyone feels that way.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:51 am

PlasticandRage wrote:I really like Dead Island. I've played through it a few times now.

I'm going to say Rage. I disliked it intensely. Not at all what I thought I was going to be getting. It was advertised as a bethesda/fallout style game with Id weighing in, which was an exciting prospect. I feel like what it ended up being was more like Borderlands with bad systems and no multiplayer. I just didn't like it at all. I only owned it for a week.

Final Fantasy 13 was a bit of a joke in my opinion too, but I know not everyone feels that way.

I feel Rage was just poorly timed as well.  There are so many other games with the same idea it just got boring.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:53 am

Vampire Rain.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Onion- Zero punctuation gave it a looks over and loved it silly

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7785-Ride-to-Hell-Retribution
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Fallout: New Vegas deserves a place on this list too I think. I bought it at launch and it was nearly unplayable because of all the bugs. It's the only Bethesda game I've sold before finishing because it was so buggy that it was just irritating. I tried to just deal with it for awhile, but then got too frustrated to continue when my follower, Boon, loaded inside a rock and the game autosaved over my separate, non-autosave file, after it happened, so he was perma-stuck there. That was enough for me.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Onion- Zero punctuation gave it a looks over and loved it silly

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7785-Ride-to-Hell-Retribution

It's been a long time since I laughed so hard at a Zero Punctuation video. That shot of the "Marketing Data" guy right with the line "you should all buy this just to **** with some heads" especially got to me big grin
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Onion- Zero punctuation gave it a looks over and loved it silly

I approve this review.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:44 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Final Fantasy 13 was a bit of a joke in my opinion too, but I know not everyone feels that way.

XIII had design choices I hate. But to say it's on the level of Ride to Hell which ignoring the objectively bad stuff such as storyline e.t.c. Has things such as falling through the map, having the objects reappear and disappear constantly, crashes leading to data corruption, cutscene freezes, rendering of about 2 centre-metres and broken combat pretty much as features, tis a little bit silly I feel.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Well I didn't experience any bugs. I'll give it that. I don't think it can be called a good game by any standards though. It's an rpg, a genre becoming increasingly known for the freedom, exploration, and options it provides, and known from the beginning to offer deep plots and strategic combat, that offers a design so linear that sports, at least in the 25 hours I played it, one linear path that diverges only slightly to treasure chest dead ends, no method of talking to NPC's save standing near them and overhearing the conversations, no towns or human settlements, again at least in the 25 hours I gave it, meaning that shops and whatnot all take place at savepoints instead of interacting with other characters, and a combat system that's almost entirely automated. I'm pretty sure it can even be set to be 100% automated. That's more then just a few bad design choices. It's downright horrible design. I really wanted to like it, but it wasn't possible. I bought it at launch for $50, and sold it 2 weeks later for $15, used that money to buy Oblivion, and was totally satisfied with the later part of the transaction. As far as I'm concerned it was a joke. A bad joke that cost me $35.

What really kills me about it too is that a lot of the fans are letting them get away with it through partially good player reviews, I feel spurred on by either delusion or denial, and because of that square is continuing to do it, with 13-2, and what I've read about the more distant future of the series.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
    KingSeekerCow
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Hmm... This is hard for me. Because I do not really dislike a video game so easily.

But If I had to pick one, it would be Diablo III. Granted the cinematic can be a movie, gameplay of it was lacking on Blizzard end. I wanted Diablo III be like Diablo II. Where I pick a class then spec him/her in my way not a preset way. Plus only online play?!?!
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:24 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Well I didn't experience any bugs. I'll give it that. I don't think it can be called a good game by any standards though. It's an rpg, a genre becoming increasingly known for the freedom, exploration, and options it provides, and known from the beginning to offer deep plots and strategic combat, that offers a design so linear that sports, at least in the 25 hours I played it, one linear path that diverges only slightly to treasure chest dead ends, no method of talking to NPC's save standing near them and overhearing the conversations, no towns or human settlements, again at least in the 25 hours I gave it, meaning that shops and whatnot all take place at savepoints instead of interacting with other characters, and a combat system that's almost entirely automated. I'm pretty sure it can even be set to be 100% automated. That's more then just a few bad design choices. It's downright horrible design. I really wanted to like it, but it wasn't possible. I bought it at launch for $50, and sold it 2 weeks later for $15, used that money to buy Oblivion, and was totally satisfied with the later part of the transaction. As far as I'm concerned it was a joke. A bad joke that cost me $35.

What really kills me about it too is that a lot of the fans are letting them get away with it through partially good player reviews, I feel spurred on by either delusion or denial, and because of that square is continuing to do it, with 13-2, and what I've read about the more distant future of the series.

You may not like the game. But this isn't the point here. The point is XIII works, it does what it sets out to do. Ride to Hell, War Z and all the others on the list don't ... at all ... they're borderline scamming people out of money here. These games are broken. It's irrelevant past a point what peoples opinion on the content actually is. If it doesn't work in this day and age ... it's inexcusable and deserves all the law suits and damnation it deserves.

Not only that but most on the list were charging FULL RETAIL PRICE for these products at launch. 

The underlying point of this thread was to demonstrate that whatever the hell games or genres you like or dislike there are tonnes more broken, deceitful  and unfinished games lurking out there for you to do your best to avoid.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:41 pm

I absolutely think FF13 fits into the lack of content and bad business categories, but at this point we're just going to be splitting hairs.

I'm going to stick with my New Vegas nomination then. That game fits into pretty much all those categories save lack of content. They did put out some DLC's which I'm told had a hefty amount of content for a fair price. I guess the question becomes whether or not that content was as downright unplayable as the main game. It literally was so bad at points that part of the reason I stopped playing it was because I was nervous it was going to break my console because it crashed my system to the point of having to be turned off improperly so many times. It also would crash pretty frequently during save operations, which is also something that can be dangerous to your system as a whole. I've heard they patched a few things that at least make it a bit more playable, but at launch it was horrendous.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 pm

I kinda agree FFXIII fits into bad business and lack of content. FF fans expect exploration, plethoras of NPCs and towns to explore. They expect returning to old locations on revisit as well as numerous side quests and stories that go along with it.

To me, sub plots were done through the backstories of the other characters (which sucked, if I'm honest, it was a cop out), thhe lone side quest was simply killing missions of overly hard monsters- side quests which I add make end game to be an exercise of nothing. Exploration was zero besides 11, and even that was tiny compared to some of the areas in XII, (which I thought was the perfect line square could find between auto and manual RT gameplay), which brings me on to the combat consisting of only the x and L1 buttons. Obviously too, there were no towns (they teased me at one point in a house.. but it's so forgettable I can barely recall it, an no NPCs really worthy of mention. My friend has had my game for the last 2 years as I'm so appalled at the sight of it and the disappointment it represents. I kept telling myself it was good, and they were just gonna let us have exploration at end game in the same way they did FFX, but nope, nothing. I'm still yet to finish it also.... Rant over silly

To be honest I just think Bethesda should be named, shamed and shunned for the shocking things they churn out. Fallout and Elder Scrolls would be good, and have great potential. But they're lazy with updating mechanics and most importantly don't give a **** about bugs and glitches. Sure, it's funny, till I can't turn in a main quest so i have to restart my game, or the game freezes an glitches out within 30 seconds of pressing new game. I don't care how big it is. If if that bad they should do massive beta tests like MMOs do because the glitches they have are worse than most free to play online games, which honestly sickens me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am