A Walk Challenge?

Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: A Walk Challenge?

Post by Green__Eagle on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Dark Souls does teach patience. Which I used to bring to mind when I had to stand in line in real life.

I suppose I could snipe Hydra, but i think I am out of Dragonslayer arrows. I didn't get the Pharris bow and my dexterity may not be high enough. Maybe I can reach it with the Long or Short bow... I may try it.

Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:00 am

Mind if I stream this?
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 pm

By all means, please stream it;

I was able to snipe the Hydra from the top of the ladder; thanks for the tip.

Walking down to Seath isn't a problem, either. I thought I would have trouble with that white golem, but with Fog Ring and Slumbering Dragoncrest rings equipped, I was able to get extremely close to him before he noticed me. I got stuck in that little niche where he was standing. He kept hitting me, without damaging me, but eventually he jumped backwards and fell off the ledge.

He was hitting me too fast for me to feel comfortable hitting back. The clams were super easy.

Seath himself worries me a little bit. About to enter his cave now. I don't have any speed to evade; I'm just going to have to hope the cursebite ring and my healing stuff lasts long enough.

Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Please excuse the double post, but Seath is dead already! Super easy, Super safe. He did little chip damage that totaled 524 points of damage and I didn't have to heal once!

O.M.Gosh! Anybody can do this. Maybe the stats to wield Havel's Shield did me some good. Alright. As soon as I busted the crystal, he was walking toward me and was gaining. I turn around and notice that I am directly in front of him. Not good. I am locked onto to him using the Ring of Steel Protection, Cursebite ring, and full havel's gear including the shield. Lightning Avelyn+5 using Heavy bolts was my only attack. I also had a Zweihander+15 equipped, but I didn't have to use it. I thought that would be my primary offensive weapon for this fight.

I edged to my right and continued walking; He did his white breath attack and the sweep of it went beyond me! I was perfectly safe. If you think of his smaller tentacles forming a circle around him as he turns, I tried to stay on that circled path. Every single breath attack missed me; I would pull the trigger; some of the crystals would do chip damage, but very (very) minor. His left-hand punch missed me completely and allowed me to pull the trigger twice on my crossbow. His right-hand punch hit me once (he only used it once) and it just pushed me backwards. 

Seath has always been easy with a crossbow, but I usually try to keep as much of the room between us as I can. No longer! Just circle slowly if you don't care about the tail.

I wish I could record this; I would post it on YouTube, but speed it up when I have some distance to travel.

Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Firesage was easy. Green Blossoms are a must for this fight. Stay by the fog gate and beware of his horizontal attacks (usually two of them). Heal and Buff (if you need to) after his AOE attack if it appears he is not doing the horizontal attack. Fire & Steel rings were used. His AOE attack did very little damage, but he pulls them so fast and close together the chip damage builds up.

Centipede took me a few tries to find a combination of equipment to defeat him. I walk way too slow to try to reach that area to the right so I stayed by the fog gate. If I advanced even a little bit forward, C.D. would slam me backwards. No damage, but it ate up a lot of stamina. Green Blossoms, Wolf Ring and Fire Ring. Wolf Ring was the key to success. I kept trying to use the Steel protection because C.D. likes to stomp on you. Sometimes he would eat me, but it did little to no damage. Of course I was mashing L1 and R1 trying to escape. You hope he doesn't throw you down into the lava because you'd have a hard time reclaiming your souls after you died.

As of now, I'm stuck at Bed of Chaos. I discovered a very nice technique that gets me to the root just fine, but I walk so damn slow up the root that his fire attack flips me into the air and off the root before I can reach stable ground. I need to use TWO Havel Shields+5 and each shield is good for two buffs. I buff to walk forward. When Bed hits me, I barely move and damage barely registers!  The buff only lasts for 40 seconds, which is enough to reach the hole in floor. Buff again, switch shields, walk off onto the root. By this time Flash Sweat has expired at least once, but even using Flash Sweat his fire attack flips me off the root. Very frustrating. It takes me 6 minutes to walk from the bonfire to the fog gate.

I have a Lightning Hand Axe+5 and a Lightning Reinforced Club+5 so I'm thinking about taking another shot at the Four Kings. It only takes 5 minutes to walk to them, but if I can swing faster with a weaker weapon, I may be able to defeat them easier and give myself the impression that I'm making some progress here. Or I may go take a wack at Nito. I think I should be able to defeat Nito and his band on the first try. But then that would leave me with two tough bosses in a row.

This is the hardest challenge I have tried thus far. But you feel like such a bad a$$; almost robotic or like a Terminator. Walk slowly, kill something, continue walking nonchalantly.

Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:43 pm

I couldn't do it out of patience.

Has anyone ever done a no bonfires run?

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Latitoast wrote:Has anyone ever done a no bonfires run?

I haven't yet, but I know plenty who have.

Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Bed of Chaos is dead; I was so close to a solution that after I took a break for a couple of hours it dawned on me that after I use the second buff from the Havel's Shield, the shield is broken and worthless. Why not lose it? Additionally, why not lose it so my weight goes to exactly 100% so I can run up the root to safe ground?

That's exactly what I did. I took off one shield; got my weight to exactly 100%. Unfortunately I didn't have the stats to equip a weapon. I had to run through the level to the boss gate. Technically I should have stayed over 100% to the fog gate, but I was anxious to try out my idea to see if it would work.

Before I entered the fog gate, I equipped the second Havel's Shield. I'm now over 100% weight. I did some testing to ensure which shield I was currently using so when the shield was broke, I could unequip it fast enough so I would be back to 100% weight and have a functioning shield. Slide down; get into the safe zone; Flash Sweat; Havel's Shield buff and march forward. When the Bed of Chaos hit me, I barely moved and the damage was miniscule. Flash Sweat expired before I reached the hole, but I didn't want to take a chance to recast it so I waited for my Havel's Shield buff to wear off. It did; I recast it, dropped onto the root; dropped the broken shield, ran up the root, equipped the Zweihander+15 so I was once again over 100% weight; used Flash Sweat, and I started breaking branches.

Umm... one other minor note about Bed of Chaos: When I was back at the bonfire, trying to reach the magic 100% weight target, I had to lose the Havel's Helm. I think I used the Gargoyle Helm and that took my poise down to 151. Still high enough to withstand the attacks.

Next Boss: Nito. Nito was so easy. One thing that surprised me was that I was susceptible to toxin. His first attack hit me with it so I had to quick equip the Blooming Purple Moss. I used two BPMs total. I'm used to being weak to toxin at low soul levels, but I'm SL97 now. It's the equipment that protects you from poison and Havel's armor doesn't do a good job of that.

All I have left to defeat are the Four Kings and Gwyn. I've taken my weight down to 100% and allowed myself to be summoned to help others. I figured it was a safe way to determine if I should use the Hand Axe or the Reinforced Club against them. I fought the first two kings with the hand axe, taking note of how much damage it does (and how fast) and the last two kings using the club. The club did slightly more damage, but it took a lot longer to use the r2 attack. I'm sticking with the Lightning Hand Axe+5. I was summoned a couple of times for Four Kings, but the guy on ng+ refused to heal his help. I died twice trying to help him. I don't have the humanity to spare to heal myself while whaling away with my two-handed r2 attacks. I equipped the Child's Mask (farmed for it!) and the Grass Crest Shield to help with stamina regeneration.

I think I'll try the kings in the morning. It should be easy with two spells of Power Within.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:12 pm

I was actually wondering if, with patience one could use a greatbow+hawk ring to shoot through the branches and somehow get a shot onto the bug, bypassing the need to jump. Since I know you can arrow the right or left weak spots.

But then the stupid tunnel is a bit too curved, it might somehow be possible by standing in some specific spot and letting the arrows natural too far lazy curve do something but I kind of doubt it. So I gave up on that.
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:16 pm

I suppose a safe way to test your idea is after the Bed of Chaos is dead; stand there and aim for the bonfire. I believe the bug is in the same spot where the bonfire shows up.

You would have to very quick on the shoot, though, if you were doing it for real. You would be vulnerable to any hits from the arms while you are aiming. And you may have to shoot more than once to break through all the branches.

Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Four Kings are dead; I decided to try to take down the kings with the last of my Gold Pine Resin before resorting to the hand axe. I used the Demon's Great Hammer+15 because it has a long reach, fast swing, and deals decent damage. I did not resort to Power Within. I decided I wanted to use the Green Blossoms instead. A nice thing about the combo of Blossom and Resin is they both last one minute. It makes a nice routine to buff one after the other and then switch to my flask in case I want to heal. I also used the Mask of the Child and Cloranthy Ring.

I decided to try the DLC stuff before heading down to Gwyn. I was anxious to try this guy against Artorias, but first I had to defeat the Sanctuary Guardian. This Walking Tank took all his abuse with very little damage. I equipped the Poison Bite ring so that wasn't a problem either! I had to use some judicial use of the crossbow because he would fly away and sulk. A couple of hits and he was back within range. He's considerate, that way.

Artorias was a fun fight! He did very little damage against me even though he buffed twice. I don't think I healed once during that fight.

Kalameet is next. I've been summoned to help and he does very little damage against me, but I think I'm going to have to use the crossbow on him. With Lightning Bolts it will be an easy fight.

I have no idea how I'll do against Manus. The mages in the Township did very little damage against my setup, but we'll see.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:16 am

I think a Normal Xbow will still out damage a lightning one on Kalameet. At least to me It seems like all the DLC bosses have obnoxiously high elemental defenses (making some of my build take a year to kill them on Ng+)
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:53 am

I seem to remember that lightning crossbow with lightning bolts does more damage than cross+15 with lightning bolts. I could pick up the Avelyn in Duke's and test again.

Maybe it was the lightning combo does more stun damage for mobs or invaders.

Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

I've finished ng+

Kalameet: You cannot defeat him overweight. He just stands off and blasts you until your stamina is gone and you die. Thanks to Jansports advice, I picked up the second Avelyn and compared the two with the two bolts:

Lightning Avelyn+5 with Lightning Bolts (123) and Heavy Bolts (105) damage
    Avelyn+15 with Lightning Bolts (168) and Heavy Bolts (177) damage

These numbers should be taken as a general guide because Kalameet moves too fast to try to get a standard range from target test.

I used the Zweihander+15 as a backup weapon because he would sometimes do his tail slam so I figured he was asking for it. Full Havel's gear, ring, and Cloranthy ring gave me 121 poise.

Oh! Have's Gear is a beast for defense against Kalameet. Even when he rose straight up into the air, I had to remain locked on, back up slightly, and brace for impact. Havel's Shield blocked almost all damage! When he drops down, you can get a couple of attacks in before he reacts. Also, if you hit Kalameet in the head with a bolt, it staggers him and WILL interrupt his blast attack.

Manus: Again I had to go to exactly 100% weight. He would just pound me when I couldn't evade. I used the exact same equipment for Manus as I did for Kalameet. I had a lot more opportunity to use the Zweihander (with Green Blossoms) because I could stay just out of reach and slam his hand when he missed me. A couple of things to note during this fight: It was faster to heal with humanity than a flask and most of his dark magic attacks missed me when I was far away from him. Two exceptions, though. When he shot directly at me, Havel's shield blocked almost all damage. When he did his expanding/contracting magic attack, the contracting magic could hit me in the back and do substantial damage so I resorted to using the Pendant even when I didn't really need to.

Gwyn: I could not live being overweight. He would grab me and I would die (or be so close to death that I would shortly die). Once I decided to go to 100% weight, I summoned two humans just to have some fun. Unfortunately both helpers died before the end of the fight, but the Dragon Bone+5 with Charcoal Pine Resin was enough to finish him off after a couple of minutes. Full Havel's Gear and Ring, Wolf Ring for 161 poise.

Overall, I'm glad I did this challenge; I learned a lot about weight management. By the end of the game I had a good idea of what equipment I needed to reach the 100% weight goal based on whether I had the Havel's Ring equipped (or not). The backup shield and weapon were usually unused during the fights, they were just ballast. Same for the Talisman; I would have to equip it to round up the weight of the Mask of the Child if I lost Havel's Helm.

One final observation: Even at 100% weight, I could not roll onto the ledge needed to reach the Crow's Nest. I was too heavy. Come to think of it, I had the Havel's ring equipped so my weight was 108. It didn't occur to me that if I had dropped my weight to 72 if I might have made that ledge. Oh well, another slab left behind.

This challenge was completed on ng+; it should be easier on ng. The only problem is how soon can you be over-burdened? Is picking up the Zweihander  enough to put you over your weight limit? If it isn't (Warrior class, probably), do you need to use the Master Key to pick up Astoria's sword, too?

Thanks for reading; I hope some of you decide to try what it's like to being overweight. It made some of the boss fights fun. I'm still at 50% win/lose ratio for invaders. I ended the game at SL97.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 am