Anyone care to explain?

    Share
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 am

    the unhealthy fascination with my little pony among adult males?


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5280
    Reputation : 123
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Age : 34
    Location : New York

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:20 am

    thank you


    _________________
    All great men have mustaches.

    TIGER UPPERCUT!

    PSN: PlasticAndRage
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 am

    Ugh...not this again, I'm too tired right now. I'll have the essay for you tomorrow afternoon after I get off work.


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 am

    Cause they're BAMFs


    _________________
    I tiptoed through Hell and didn't break a sweat. I swam the Seven Seas and didn't get wet. I'm the pretty Big Chief you ever met.
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Tolvo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 am

    Though I think it is weird, who the hell really cares if they like ponies? Some are really obnoxious and in your face about it, but let's be frank here every following has those people. Sure it is abnormal, but we're also on a website dedicated to a video game where we often talk about builds, and all sorts of things showing we focus way too much on this game. I also think making threads like this is just asking for a flame war, so it should probably be locked.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Serious_Much on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:31 am

    Forum Pirate, come on man being people who are on a website just to talk about one specific game I wouldn't say we're in the position to start criticising what others enjoy.

    Also I'm a bit of an advocate for just letting people be different and just leaving it be. Long as they enjoy the culture around it, it really shouldn't matter big grin


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1886
    Reputation : 27
    Join date : 2012-01-18
    Age : 27
    Location : Lordran

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by nsane32 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:08 pm

    I agree I may not like but I dont care just dont read the thread and it wont bother you


    _________________
    Prepare To Die

    I will protect my lord till the very end

    Au ou Pasnic Morarta

    Spoiler:

    GT:nsane32
    Steam:nsane32
    avatar
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Brazil

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Carphil on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:43 pm

    nsane32 wrote:I agree I may not like but I dont care just dont read the thread and it wont bother you

    This.

    Is better ignore than complain


    _________________
    It may take a day or ten thousand years, but I will find her. This is a promise.

    I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

    Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm

    The main issue roots down to a very specific shift in creative direction when Friendship is Magic was created. Specifically this relates to the fact that the new director attempted to make the show enjoyable not only to the sterotypical little girls known to watch previous iterations of the My Little Pony franchise, but also to their parents. Since she realized that they would probably at some point have to sit down and watch the show with their kid, she didn't want them to have to hate sharing time with their kids by doing what previous seasons had done and form the content of each episode only to appeal to the sterotypical little girls. This is where the important matter lies; Friendship is Magic was designed to be a family show, not just a young girls show.

    Now on to the more specific matters, making it a family show means it has content enjoyable to adults, but may be over the younger audience members' heads. For several good examples, this is something that almost defines the animated Disney classics such as Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. Now appealing to adults also means it will have content that appeals not only to the mothers watching the show, but also the fathers, and this is where the brony phenomenon begins. If the show was made to be enjoyed by 20/30-something year old fathers, does it not stand to reason that 20/30-something year old single men might also find the same content appealing, and by extension any man?

    Alot of what makes the emergence of the Bronies as big of a phenomenon as it is is because of the previous mentality of "omg little girls stuff sucks" being shattered in the eyes of of the audience. The reason there isn't some huge explosion of Adventure Time or Regular Show communities (currently the two other most recently addressed animated series along with Friendship is Magic) is because they didn't do anything special in the eyes of their audience. While both of these shows, along with Friendship is Magic, are very high quality overall cartoon series, Adventure Time and Regular Show didn't break any molds and cater to a predominately male audience, so of course nobody is going to say that grown men watching them is odd, while grown men watching Friendship is Magic is going to seem outlandish because of the misconception that this iteration will follow its franchise's roots as a little girl's show. Breaking past this misconception and "awakening" to the idea that you can't take things at face value is what caused the original bronies to spread the word, exponentially compounding this growth as each new member felt the same "awakening."

    As to what elemtents specifically make us enjoy Friendship is Magic so much can typically be said of any other worthwhile animated TV series. It has a strong sense of humor, with a well-defined and relatable cast of characters, with messages that resonate with the audience without being heavy-handed in their delivery. We enjoy shows such as Dexter's Laboratory, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Hey Arnold, The Fairly Oddparents, and Phineas and Ferb for exactly these same reasons, so why should Friendship is Magic be considered less respectable or enjoyable simply because it has the title My Little Pony in it? When you learn to accept this idea, and look past the misconception that certain shows are restricted to only be enjoyed by their specific target audiences, then you will come to understand the Brony phenomenon.

    TL;DR: I promised an essay didn't I? Now stop reading this and read the actual post you lazy bum silly


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:39 pm

    Yeah, I mean I watch a s**t-ton of Adventure Time, and while it is generally starring male protagonists, I'm still a 22 year old watching a f***ing kid's show. Girls and boys alike are meant to like it the same, but from a sociological perspective, it's simply easier to comprehend a girl being a fan of a cartoon with a male protagonist than is a male to like a show with a female protagonist.

    Adventure Time did do an episode starring 'Fiona and Cake', where they switched the genders of every character, but still, that's one episode out of like 3 seasons? I'm not saying they should become regulars, but I know plenty of girls who like the show, and no one gives them s**t for it. In fact, they're f***ing cool in my book if they like it.

    So yeah.


    _________________
    I tiptoed through Hell and didn't break a sweat. I swam the Seven Seas and didn't get wet. I'm the pretty Big Chief you ever met.
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:19 pm

    JohnnyHarpoon wrote:from a sociological perspective, it's simply easier to comprehend a girl being a fan of a cartoon with a male protagonist than is a male to like a show with a female protagonist.

    Adventure Time did do an episode starring 'Fiona and Cake', where they switched the genders of every character, but still, that's one episode out of like 3 seasons? I'm not saying they should become regulars, but I know plenty of girls who like the show, and no one gives them s**t for it. In fact, they're f***ing cool in my book if they like it.

    I think this is the first time I've ever heard of a double-standard that favors females, honestly. Techincally though, (btw Adventure Time spoilers for those who care) Fiona and Cake were canonically fan-fic versions of Finn and Jake created by the Ice King, they were never "actual" characters in the cast, just gender-swapped expies of the main characters in an in-universe fictional setting (if any of that sounded confusing, welcome to the world of Adventure Time lol). This made it easier for the male audience to accept them since it was clear they were still really Finn and Jake, just with different voices in different situations, and that canonically they wouldn't be stuck with a female protagonist for the rest of the series. Unfortunately, I'm not sure your basis of lead character gender would work in reverse for Friendship is Magic. Even if the main characters were male, they would still be ponies and the title would still be "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic," alerting this little girl association stigma that people have associated with the franchise. People look down on the name of the show, not even getting as far as the characters before writing it off sad


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis

    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5753
    Reputation : 193
    Join date : 2012-01-18

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by User on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 pm

    Eh, cups be worse. Bronies give me a reason to link dump some awesome pony love... Well, remove the love, and replace it with fear factor. big grin
    avatar
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5280
    Reputation : 123
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Age : 34
    Location : New York

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:37 pm

    Though I do agree with all statements here that people should be able to like what they want to like without fear of ridicule, I feel I need to defend Forum Pirate. I don't think he was criticizing anyone. I think he was asking why. And from the perspective of another adult male, who also doesn't understand the fixation, I feel its a little unfair to jump to the conclusion that by simply asking why he's criticizing you. You have to admit something that, for someone not in the loop, as both he and I seem not to be, its a bit odd. At least to the point of why being a fair question.
    avatar
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5280
    Reputation : 123
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Age : 34
    Location : New York

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:47 pm

    And also, just for the record, really? Little girl stuff rocks now? Did I miss a meeting? What ever happened to good old fashion girls jumping on trampolines?
    avatar
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 938
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2012-01-26
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by berkut on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 pm

    You make a good point PlasticandRage (the post before your last one that ninja'd me). Though I would note that the way ForumPirate called it 'unhealthy' had a bit of a negative tone to the question.

    In regards to OP's original post: I myself am not a bronie, and, beyond reading the posts by Reaperfan, do not have much understanding of the phenomenon, nor what their beliefs are. Nevertheless, I have never seen anything particularly offensive from this group, and therefore I have not found any reason to shift my attitude from my current neutrality.

    In general: I gotta say that I am impressed that this thread has remained civil, makes me proud to be a member of this forum big grin.


    _________________
    PSN/Origin: Berkut4796
    When discussing things, always strive to be as friendly and understanding as possible. When offensive, argumentative, or vague dialogues are used, it often causes the other readers to receive negative emotions from the post, which can create a toxic thread. If we all strive to be friendly and understanding, then we can avoid hurting peoples feelings happy.
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:51 pm

    PlasticandRage wrote:Though I do agree with all statements here that people should be able to like what they want to like without fear of ridicule, I feel I need to defend Forum Pirate. I don't think he was criticizing anyone. I think he was asking why. And from the perspective of another adult male, who also doesn't understand the fixation, I feel its a little unfair to jump to the conclusion that by simply asking why he's criticizing you. You have to admit something that, for someone not in the loop, as both he and I seem not to be, its a bit odd. At least to the point of why being a fair question.

    I never tried to criticize him, though if I did I will apologize here. I definitely understand the confusion, since there was a time when even I wasn't a brony and asked myself the same thing. I was simply trying to relay the entirety of my perspective on the situation so as to maybe provide some insight as to at least what I see in the show and why I feel it should be appreciated.


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Serious_Much on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:52 pm

    PlasticandRage wrote:Though I do agree with all statements here that people should be able to like what they want to like without fear of ridicule, I feel I need to defend Forum Pirate. I don't think he was criticizing anyone. I think he was asking why. And from the perspective of another adult male, who also doesn't understand the fixation, I feel its a little unfair to jump to the conclusion that by simply asking why he's criticizing you. You have to admit something that, for someone not in the loop, as both he and I seem not to be, its a bit odd. At least to the point of why being a fair question.

    I agree with your point plastic and I have same view as you, but I just choose let em do what they want, everyone has their quirks so to speak, and being a Brony is that quirk for some.

    though i have to say there will never be bronies in england haha, our culture doesn't do **** like that silly


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Tolvo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:55 pm

    By the way, there are some of us who are really into Regular Show, my entire family watches it all the time, we're pretty addicted to it. I've got to say we pretty much put everything down if a new episode is on haha, I'd say that show did break the mould just not in a way some care for. I personally adore it.

    Then again, I'm a pretty nerdy and weird guy, I can speak Huttese.
    avatar
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5280
    Reputation : 123
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Age : 34
    Location : New York

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:58 pm

    No no, I wasn't saying you guys were being critical. Only that the assumption was made that he was. While I suppose I can't assume to know whether or not he actually was, my point was you have to accept the oddness of the fixation, at least to the point of expecting to be questioned about it


    _________________
    All great men have mustaches.

    TIGER UPPERCUT!

    PSN: PlasticAndRage
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm

    PlasticandRage wrote:Little girl stuff rocks now? Did I miss a meeting?

    Ninja'd post also deserves a response. The point I was trying to make with the first paragraph of my wall-of-text back there was that Friendship is Magic specifically is no more a "little-girls-only" show than the animated Disney classics like Beauty and the Beast or Mulan. I would never contest to any other iteration of the My Little Pony franchise being anything but "little-girls-only," but Friendship is Magic is a black sheep. Just because bronies like Friendship is Magic doesn't mean we also like shows like Strawberry Shortcake or Rainbow Bright. It takes a very rare and special kind of brony to enjoy any previous generation of My Little Pony from before Friendship is Magic.


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Serious_Much on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 pm

    Reaperfan wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:Little girl stuff rocks now? Did I miss a meeting?

    Ninja'd post also deserves a response. The point I was trying to make with the first paragraph of my wall-of-text back there was that Friendship is Magic specifically is no more a "little-girls-only" show than the animated Disney classics like Beauty and the Beast or Mulan. I would never contest to any other iteration of the My Little Pony franchise being anything but "little-girls-only," but Friendship is Magic is a black sheep. Just because bronies like Friendship is Magic doesn't mean we also like shows like Strawberry Shortcake or Rainbow Bright. It takes a very rare and special kind of brony to enjoy any previous generation of My Little Pony from before Friendship is Magic.

    Reaper, please respect the boundaries of the show happy

    you cannot put My little pony with Disney Classics, they are far more awesome and are timeless silly

    Aristocats anyone? lol!


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Tolvo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 pm

    What are you talking about? I loved Mulan and Beauty and the Beast, of course I consider the La Belle et la Bête version by Jean to be superior. I don't care for girly stuff myself, but I really enjoyed those two films because to me it seemed to be aimed at not just a female audience. Mulan 2, now that's another story.

    EDIT: This came off sounding a bit more harsh towards reaper than intended, I merely meant to point out that in the past there have been things that appeal to both boys and ghouls.


    Last edited by Tolvo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 pm

    Tolvo wrote:By the way, there are some of us who are really into Regular Show, my entire family watches it all the time, we're pretty addicted to it. I've got to say we pretty much put everything down if a new episode is on haha, I'd say that show did break the mould just not in a way some care for. I personally adore it.

    Then again, I'm a pretty nerdy and weird guy, I can speak Huttese.

    My point in referencing Regular Show was more that, despite it being an amazing show, it hasn't garnered the same kind of community as Friendship is Magic. It does many things differently from your standard show that set it apart as a fantastic series, but it didn't spawn an entire culture around it :|

    Also to get this out there; I absolutely love both Adventure Time and Regular Show. Just not quite as much as Friendship is Magic happy


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:06 pm

    Tolvo wrote:What are you talking about? I loved Mulan and Beauty and the Beast, of course I consider the La Belle et la Bête version by Jean to be superior. I don't care for girly stuff myself, but I really enjoyed those two films because to me it seemed to be aimed at not just a female audience. Mulan 2, now that's another story.

    Exactly my point. Friendship is Magic is no more aimed at little girls than those are, hence why adult men are able to enjoy it. And the only Disney sequels worth anything are Return of Jafar and Alladin and the King of Thieves. The rest don't exist winking

    EDIT regarding your Edit: I didn't take any offense or anything. I'm actually struggling to see what you said that could even be taken as harsh lol!


    Last edited by Reaperfan on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Serious_Much on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 pm

    Tolvo were you talking about my response or reaper's?

    also reaper don't wish to attempt a witty riposte? or do i need to duel the 20Q master again silly


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Anyone care to explain?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:18 am