Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Share
    avatar
    Drascoll

    Posts : 12
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-24

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Drascoll on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:03 pm

    Personally my favorite shield in the whole competition was this one:



    It just has so many awesome throwbacks. The Crow obviously being a reference to Velka. Painted fresco quality, color scheme, the noose and dagger representing Judgment though battle (which ties in w/ the Velka theme) and ultimately a throw back to the adjudicator's shield. The wheel with the rose also reminds me of a Catherine wheel or breaking wheel popularized in DkS lore with the Bone Wheel Skeletons. In the classical era the rose represented reason, virtue and dedication. So to show a device of torture juxtaposed under a symbol of justice under a crown represents sacrifice for justice and to the crown. In this case the crown would be Velka, the Goddess of Sin. The pardoners listen to the confessions of sinners, urging reflection and salvation & symbolize separation from worldly desires. (speculation) A separation of worldly desires though sacrifice of the flesh though torture.

    I may be reading way to much into the authors intentions when making this shield but it struck me as beautiful as well as looking historically authentic which I feel suits DkS aesthetic even though it's brightly colored.


    _________________
    Noob-of-Artorias wrote:IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!! *do do do do, dododododo*

    Toafer

    Posts : 4
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-22

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Toafer on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

    Have they said why they deleted the facebook post of the winners?
    avatar
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-25
    Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Marionx on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:10 pm

    Toafer wrote:Have they said why they deleted the facebook post of the winners?

     No, nothing so far. The last time I looked (which was on Thursday evening), there was quite a few negative comments. Some of which were about how some of these shields should be disqualified.

    I don't know what's going on, but to be honest I really liked some of the shields. I hope that From hasn't totally changed their minds about their choices.


    _________________
    Psn: marionx
    avatar
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4307
    Reputation : 62
    Join date : 2012-04-12
    Age : 23
    Location : Carim in the Pacific Northwest

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by JoeBroski09 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:17 pm

    I was surprised they were actually serious about putting them in the game, and using Facebook as a means to find winners. I'm pretty sure FROM is just going to get a top list of what's good, using Facebook as a filter to get rid of the horrible ones in this contest, and then, just, cherry picking what they want. 

    They don't always stick to their Facebook competitions. There was voting for what to use in the DkS2 E3 trailer, and the ones that were REALLY far ahead were "Sacrifice Everything" and one other one, but they chose "Go Beyond Death." Which is just way cooler.


    _________________
    big grin Hugs and smiles big grin

    avatar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 443
    Reputation : 14
    Join date : 2012-06-14

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by passivefamiliar on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm

    SadPanda wrote:No Marcus Shield thumbs up

     this a million times. it was hideous and that guy has to much of an ego already. good info or not i dont watch his stuff because he is a bit pathetic. souls are great, but his life seems to rotate around it. poor lost child in a mans body.

    all the winning shields look great too. im glad they put more than just one in this time. or ...wait. those arent all going in game right? the devs pick a couple now.oh lord...marcus better not get that ugly pig/butt face thing added in.

    wonder if any of the in game shields will have special abilities like before, or just be there. was a bit awesome that the fan made shield is one of the most commonly used ones due to its regen affect.


    _________________
    PSN id: Passivefamiliar


    pony05  ...why is this here you ask? Its a dark world out there. Thats why.
    avatar
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 547
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2012-04-15
    Age : 23
    Location : Montana

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Argetlam350 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 pm

    passivefamiliar wrote:
    SadPanda wrote:No Marcus Shield thumbs up

     this a million times. it was hideous and that guy has to much of an ego already. good info or not i dont watch his stuff because he is a bit pathetic. souls are great, but his life seems to rotate around it. poor lost child in a mans body.

    all the winning shields look great too. im glad they put more than just one in this time. or ...wait. those arent all going in game right? the devs pick a couple now.oh lord...marcus better not get that ugly pig/butt face thing added in.

    wonder if any of the in game shields will have special abilities like before, or just be there. was a bit awesome that the fan made shield is one of the most commonly used ones due to its regen affect.
    I respect people's opinions but calling someone pathetic because you don't like their content is rude beyond belief. I can understand not liking him but he does more then just Dark Souls and has his own family that he does care for. His life doesn't revolve around the Souls games at all. And for the record, ENB never supported the person who created the Marcus shield nor the shield itself.


    _________________





    Toafer

    Posts : 4
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-22

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Toafer on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 pm

    Not sure how I feel about one person winning more than one spot.  Nothing against the artist but they kept advertising it as even though you can enter multiple shields, each person could only win once since every winning shield got a copy of the game. Just seems like it would be more fair if each shield had a unique creator.

    And where did the Rose Shield come from? I looked through all the Japanese shield entries on Facebook and it doesn't exist.
    avatar
    Drascoll

    Posts : 12
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-24

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Drascoll on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:40 pm

    Toafer wrote:And where did the Rose Shield come from? I looked through all the Japanese shield entries on Facebook and it doesn't exist.

    I remember seeing it awhile back, but I don't recall it being in the top 30

    Marionx wrote:some of these shields should be disqualified.

    I was also saying my shield should be disqualified, because even though I was honored to win a top slot, I didn't read the rules and submitted to the wrong Regen. Form had asked me to send an HD *.pds file and when I sent it I also told them I was from the US and not Asia so I understood if that disqualified me.

    The next morning the Facebook page was down, so I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in it.


    _________________
    Noob-of-Artorias wrote:IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!! *do do do do, dododododo*
    avatar
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 64
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-04-20

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Silver Mont on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:21 pm

    Drascoll wrote:
    I was also saying my shield should be disqualified, because even though I was honored to win a top slot, I didn't read the rules and submitted to the wrong Regen. Form had asked me to send an HD *.pds file and when I sent it I also told them I was from the US and not Asia so I understood if that disqualified me.

    The next morning the Facebook page was down, so I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in it.

     That wasn't ever really an issue though, they only did the regions to try and distribute the designs more evenly - you could live in America and submit an Asian template design if you wanted. They confirmed that a few times on the page.

    That said, I am confused as to why they took it down and haven't even mentioned why. Was it because one person won both Tower Shield entries? Or was it the Rose shield thing?


    _________________
    My entry into the Shield Design Contest - Shield of Ash.
    My Youtube channel
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by RANT on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:38 pm

    Too bad this was a first come first served thing,  the ones that got picked are good but not nearly as good as the ones that got submitted in the later weeks,  the rose shield looks pretty lame imo and Solaire?  Really?  The rest Rest are good but very disappointing.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    >Brave<
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 112
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-10
    Age : 23
    Location : In Royal Wood roasting marshmellows

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by >Brave< on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

    Rose shield: A ceremonial shield used at Knightly and Royal weddings. Despite its unconventional use, it can be used in battle. 

    Can be looted from a corpse in a church or from a place of divine worship. Since it's not meant for battle it only reduces damage by 90.0% but is one of the lighter metal shields in the game. 


    Add to the idea if you want.


    _________________

    PS3: SipuraEin
    Raptr Forum Signature

    Toafer

    Posts : 4
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-22

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Toafer on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:01 pm



    I was really hoping mine would win! Even got into the top 30 too!

    Marionx wrote:Form had asked me to send an HD *.pds file

    They asked me to do this too. Did you just reply to the email or did they send you another address cause i just replied to the same email address that they used to ask for the files but i got a auto-reply email saying something like i replied to a no-reply email and that if i wanted to contact them to go to their site or something.
    avatar
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4307
    Reputation : 62
    Join date : 2012-04-12
    Age : 23
    Location : Carim in the Pacific Northwest

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by JoeBroski09 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 pm

    Toafer, that was my favorite shield. I really want that in the game. sad

     ALSO, if they could put in an Adventure Time shield in there, that'd be great.

    ... I really hope they put some kind of Adventure Time reference in DkS2. I know it's selfish, but.. it'd be awesome. Jussayin.


    _________________
    big grin Hugs and smiles big grin

    avatar
    Ephexis
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 22
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2013-07-02

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Ephexis on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 pm

    Toafer wrote:

    I was really hoping mine would win! Even got into the top 30 too!

    Marionx wrote:Form had asked me to send an HD *.pds file

    They asked me to do this too. Did you just reply to the email or did they send you another address cause i just replied to the same email address that they used to ask for the files but i got a auto-reply email saying something like i replied to a no-reply email and that if i wanted to contact them to go to their site or something.
    that looks incredible!

    imo it looks more like a shield for other fantasy RPGS over dks, but at the same time i'd love that shield to be put in dks2

    nice job Proper Bow


    _________________
     
    avatar
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-25
    Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Marionx on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:22 pm

    Toafer wrote:
    Marionx wrote:Form had asked me to send an HD *.pds file

    They asked me to do this too. Did you just reply to the email or did they send you another address cause i just replied to the same email address that they used to ask for the files but i got a auto-reply email saying something like i replied to a no-reply email and that if i wanted to contact them to go to their site or something.

     Yeah, I actually did reply to the email. I even asked the community manager on the facebook page and he said that was fine to send by replying.

    I basically followed their instructions. I made the files as big as possible, uploaded it on wetransfer.com and send the link to the files in the reply.

    Interesting thing I noticed about the announcement being taken down was that there was another facebook page, Dark Souls 2, that had the winners announced. In the comments, the manager of the Dark Souls page had asked the admin to take it down. Apparently they are going to come back soon with new information, probably explaining why they took down the announcement in the first place.

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.398537946930585.1073741827.229877787129936&type=1


    _________________
    Psn: marionx

    Toafer

    Posts : 4
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-22

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Toafer on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:07 pm

    Marionx wrote:
    Toafer wrote:
    Marionx wrote:Form had asked me to send an HD *.pds file

    They asked me to do this too. Did you just reply to the email or did they send you another address cause i just replied to the same email address that they used to ask for the files but i got a auto-reply email saying something like i replied to a no-reply email and that if i wanted to contact them to go to their site or something.

     Yeah, I actually did reply to the email. I even asked the community manager on the facebook page and he said that was fine to send by replying.

    I basically followed their instructions. I made the files as big as possible, uploaded it on wetransfer.com and send the link to the files in the reply.

    Interesting thing I noticed about the announcement being taken down was that there was another facebook page, Dark Souls 2, that had the winners announced. In the comments, the manager of the Dark Souls page had asked the admin to take it down. Apparently they are going to come back soon with new information, probably explaining why they took down the announcement in the first place.

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.398537946930585.1073741827.229877787129936&type=1

     Ok i did the same and even sent a message with the wetransfer.com link to their facebook page after the email confusion but never got a response so was worried they never got it. but it sounds like we did the same things so its all good.

     And thanks for that tidbit of info about the other page. I'm dieing to know what they are doing lol.
    avatar
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 7873
    Reputation : 136
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Age : 24
    Location : The Executive Members Boardroom

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by ViralEnsign_ on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:35 am

    Cronotis wrote:That rose shield will be in game?  Wow, doesn't seem like it fits in the Souls series.

     Garuntee you it gets scratched and worn away so the rose is more like an engraving.


    _________________




    PSN- ViralEnsign_

    [[11:09:53 p.m.] Robb "the Ensign_": The sexual tension is enough to blow wyrms head off
    [11:10:04 p.m.] Kwith: Woah.
    [11:10:08 p.m.] Kwith: ..Woah.
    [11:10:14 p.m.] Robb "the Ensign_": FATALITY!
    [11:10:16 p.m.] ◥▶_◀◤ TehInfamousAmos: AHAHAHAHAHAHA
    [11:10:19 p.m.] Tolvo: You want to see sexual tension.
    [11:10:20 p.m.] ◥▶_◀◤ TehInfamousAmos: BEASTIALITY
    avatar
    Drascoll

    Posts : 12
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-24

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Drascoll on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 pm

    Toafer wrote:
    They asked me to do this too. Did you just reply to the email or did they send you another address cause i just replied to the same email address that they used to ask for the files but i got a auto-reply email saying something like i replied to a no-reply email and that if i wanted to contact them to go to their site or something.

     I was told to send it though a file share sight. The whole thing actually seemed a bit shady tbh. I even PMed the facebook page and never got a rely.


    _________________
    Noob-of-Artorias wrote:IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!! *do do do do, dododododo*
    avatar
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-25
    Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Marionx on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:23 pm

    Drascoll wrote:
    Toafer wrote:
    They asked me to do this too. Did you just reply to the email or did they send you another address cause i just replied to the same email address that they used to ask for the files but i got a auto-reply email saying something like i replied to a no-reply email and that if i wanted to contact them to go to their site or something.

     I was told to send it though a file share sight. The whole thing actually seemed a bit shady tbh. I even PMed the facebook page and never got a rely.

    Totally understandable. I even questioned it's legitimacy, but it was confirmed by another contestant that it was legit. She PMed the facebook page and got a reply from the community manager (the same guy that sent those emails).

    @Drascoll: You're the one who made the Disunion shield? That's awesome! Congratulations! About that whole "which template to use?" you were okay to use a Japan/Asia shield. Just like what was said earlier, you can use any template as long as you labeled it correctly. I also don't think it should be disqualified, despite what I've heard. I would rather see From add a second shield, from the Facebook gallery, to go along with it. biggrin 

    The Rose shield should still be in because I sort of feel like they were running two contests.


    _________________
    Psn: marionx
    avatar
    Drascoll

    Posts : 12
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-24

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Drascoll on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:29 pm

    Marionx wrote:@Drascoll: You're the one who made the Disunion shield? That's awesome! Congratulations! About that whole "which template to use?" you were okay to use a Japan/Asia shield. Just like what was said earlier, you can use any template as long as you labeled it correctly. I also don't think it should be disqualified, despite what I've heard.

     Thanks, yes Disunion was my design, I would love to see my shield in the game it would be a huge honor. However, I also would understand if they disqualified it. I'm just crossing my fingers waiting to see what happens next because this all came out of left field for me and with them pulling down the results it is quite confusing.


    _________________
    Noob-of-Artorias wrote:IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!! *do do do do, dododododo*
    avatar
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 900
    Reputation : 11
    Join date : 2013-04-20

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by SadPanda on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:53 pm

    passivefamiliar wrote:
    SadPanda wrote:No Marcus Shield thumbs up

     this a million times. it was hideous and that guy has to much of an ego already. good info or not i dont watch his stuff because he is a bit pathetic. souls are great, but his life seems to rotate around it. poor lost child in a mans body.

    all the winning shields look great too. im glad they put more than just one in this time. or ...wait. those arent all going in game right? the devs pick a couple now.oh lord...marcus better not get that ugly pig/butt face thing added in.

    wonder if any of the in game shields will have special abilities like before, or just be there. was a bit awesome that the fan made shield is one of the most commonly used ones due to its regen affect.
    I have to agree. Not with the pathetic/ego part, but I don't like ENB. His speculation is pretty bad, Vaati is MUCH better. I just don't like the way he speaks either, to me it does seem a little condescending. Not to mention the majority of the lore he got, he didn't find himself. He has like 3 open series he never finished. Him, SLB, and (no salt please) Rosie are the most popular, not nessesarily the most contributing. That's not to say they didn't bust their *** to make videos on a frequent basis, and they deserve respect for that.

    Personally, I think Vaati is the biggest contributor to the community lore-wise, and the best Dark Souls uploader. Alright, back on topic now.

    There should be a bonewheel shield where the R2 is a rolling attack.


    _________________
    Well What is it mastr of downboats Well What is it
    edjier dan a knife
    Xbox GT: Gapestation
    avatar
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 314
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2013-05-20
    Location : my house

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by cerealaire on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 am

    could we do sword design contest?  if there was enough of designing i understand


    _________________
    Praise the Sun PRAISE THE CEREAL AND MILK
    avatar
    tigab95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 481
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2013-08-01
    Age : 22
    Location : Canada

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by tigab95 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 am

    passivefamiliar wrote:
    SadPanda wrote:No Marcus Shield thumbs up

     this a million times. it was hideous and that guy has to much of an ego already. good info or not i dont watch his stuff because he is a bit pathetic. souls are great, but his life seems to rotate around it. poor lost child in a mans body.

    all the winning shields look great too. im glad they put more than just one in this time. or ...wait. those arent all going in game right? the devs pick a couple now.oh lord...marcus better not get that ugly pig/butt face thing added in.

    wonder if any of the in game shields will have special abilities like before, or just be there. was a bit awesome that the fan made shield is one of the most commonly used ones due to its regen affect.
    yeah , I just found out that Leeroy shield is in Dark Souls because it won a japanese only contest in 2011 before the game release:biggrin:  . I wouldnt be suprise that at least one of the winners shields will have special powers Sun Praise the Sun


    _________________
    XBOX GamerTag : tigab95 


    if anyone want to Coop Praise the Sun or PVP   Duel
    avatar
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1652
    Reputation : 76
    Join date : 2012-01-23
    Location : Otherwhere

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by SlakeMoth on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:55 am

    I like the eye shield, although it didn't make the cut.
    avatar
    Drascoll

    Posts : 12
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-24

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Drascoll on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:37 pm

    facebook link
    Dark Souls Facebook just reposed the winners of the Shield Design Contest unveil:



    _________________
    Noob-of-Artorias wrote:IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!! *do do do do, dododododo*

    Sponsored content

    Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:22 am