Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Soris Ice Goldwing
LunarFog
Sentiel
Derpwraith
GrinTwist
Shakie666
10 posters

What happened to the giantdads?

Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

What happened to the giantdads? Empty What happened to the giantdads?

Post by Shakie666 Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 am

Take a look at this build - Chaos zweihander? Check. Giants + pinwheel mask? Check. DWGR flippiness? Check. A genuine giantdad.

Except, no-one uses this anymore. To be sure, DWGR and elemental weapons have been nerfed, but clearly not enough to stop this build from being viable - you still have great damage, defense, health and ninja flips. So why do you never see this anymore? Is it because of the nerfs? Or because pvp tactics are more advanced now (spear flippiness)? If I could travel back in time, and use this build back before patch 1.06 came out, would I be unbeatable ( bearing in mind hardly anyone used spears back then)? Just wondered what everyone else's thoughts were on this.

EDIT: Just realised I can't have DWGR on that spear build without a serious reduction in poise - even still, it should be pretty good.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

What happened to the giantdads? Empty Re: What happened to the giantdads?

Post by GrinTwist Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 am

Possibly because the players that used these builds quit playing the game after the patch rendered DWGR useless with their build or once this happened they just moved to other tactics instead and haven't bothered to make another giantdad build.
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 am

Shakie666 wrote:Take a look at this build - Chaos zweihander? Check. Giants + pinwheel mask? Check. DWGR flippiness? Check. A genuine giantdad.

Except, no-one uses this anymore. To be sure, DWGR and elemental weapons have been nerfed, but clearly not enough to stop this build from being viable - you still have great damage, defense, health and ninja flips. So why do you never see this anymore? Is it because of the nerfs? Or because pvp tactics are more advanced now (spear flippiness)? If I could travel back in time, and use this build back before patch 1.06 came out, would I be unbeatable ( bearing in mind hardly anyone used spears back then)? Just wondered what everyone else's thoughts were on this.

EDIT: Just realised I can't have DWGR on that spear build without a serious reduction in poise - even still, it should be pretty good.

Be glad they're gone. What, you like giantdads? You make me sick! twistedevil 
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:49 pm

I don't know what's this about Giant Dads. Is it because of OnlyAfro?
    The way I remember it, there was Giant Moms, not Dads. Cos, well, you know, extra HP.

Anyway!
    People moved to a new trend.

New Giant Dads

New Giant Moms

There can be modifications with higher HP, added Dark Bead and worse.

Dads are most often seen in ganks rather than alone, because people aren't so stupid to fall for simple GT spam, but when there's three of them, it turns into a serious threat.
    On the other hand, Moms are usually going in alone and they will bs fish you for a lot of your HP, if not outright OHKO you. Roll R1 spam included, but rare. Mostly just bs over bs.

Honestly, these douchebags are much worse than DWGR Giants we had before, because they had no skill whatsoever and could be easily defeated with roll backstabs and spells. Not that these guys have any skill, but bs fishing is just way too effective thanks to the broken, or poorly made (pick your favorite) bs hitbox mechanics and GT can Dead Angle easily. These guys are a serious pain in the *** to deal with, not to mention being unbelievably boring to fight.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:18 pm

I actually fought a couple different ones.  Pme was garbage.  The other beat me once out of 4 tries, healed during the fight, then called me a noob afterwards.  So giant dads are pretty garbage players.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:21 pm

LunarFog wrote:I actually fought a couple different ones.  Pme was garbage.  The other beat me once out of 4 tries, healed during the fight, then called me a noob afterwards.  So giant dads are pretty garbage players.

More of what I get and last night in the forest showed they need a phantom to take a sl 14. I mean that was embarrassing. Though it has been awhile since I fought the classics.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:
    Though it has been awhile since I fought the classics.

The classics....it just occured to me that I never rocked a standard knight.  Just a sword and shield with no gimmicks.  That might be fun.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Giantdads are fun to use but not flexible.  You don't have any way to deal with certain builds and limited viable alternative weapon options that still do any decent damage.
    Cronotis
    Cronotis
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cronotis Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Giant Dads actually date back to v1.03 when elemental weapons were better than everything else, and poise was still a mystery to many.  They became lolzy ways to troll inexperienced players after 1.05, and down right crappy after 1.06.

Pro Tip: Since 1.06 MotM is always a better choice than MotD unless you have 99 End and still need to raise your equip burden.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Where are the giantdads? Playing Demon Souls like alot of us are these days lol
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 pm

I guess the legend died after all. RIP in Peace.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:52 pm

twigsterxd wrote:Where are the giantdads? Playing Demon Souls like alot of us are these days lol

If you're American that is... DeS is online completely and utterly dead in the EU.

Before the pinwheel mask nerf, the MoF gave +15% equip burden and MoM gave +15% health. Using the MoF usually lead to better stats overall than MoM. I guess thats why it got nerfed more.

The one thing I didn't like about the DWGR nerf is that it made heavy armour worthless in serious pvp. Now everyone uses the wolf ring instead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am