Former PS3 Player

Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Former PS3 Player

Post by Gaxe on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

So, I use to be a die hard Dark Souls player but awhile back I just quit out of nowhere. Reason being is because I honestly didn't have any reason to stay on PS3 and things went down IRL. Soon I'm buying a gaming pc though.

I heard many bad things about Dark Souls for PC, Hackers/Bad Port/whatever. Is it worth buying Dark Souls for PC, it is currently on sale on steam until July 22nd (correct me if I'm wrong), for $15. I miss Dark Souls severely, but here's the thing I started playing Dark Souls because of the game and stayed for the community. Is the community any good on PC? Can I make friends to hang with, do some pvp matches, get help with builds, ect?

Thanks for reading all big grin

To those who are wondering here will be my PC specs

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange)
    CPU: i5-4670k
    CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
    MOBO: Asus Z87-A
    PSU: Corsair TX750
    SSD: Adata XPG SX900 (120GB)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 760 SC
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
    Laharls_Wrath
    Addicted
    Addicted

Re: Former PS3 Player

Post by Laharls_Wrath on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

I've only ~250 hours logged thusfar and have only played on the pc but if you've a pc capable of it then in my opinion it's a resounding 'yes'
    I can't speak for hackers being more or less common, however you can set dsfix (a mod that deals with many of the 'bad port' issues) to automatically back up your save as frequently as every 10-15 minutes so if you do encounter a malicious hacker (and have stats drained or some other issue) you lose negligible time restoring things
    PvP wise, I've 3 characters around SL100 and the township is pretty much always active, forest and burg seem to be very active at certain times and less so at others
    DSCfix also makes connecting with gfwl friends easier which is a big plus if you have a group of people to play with

I cannot speak for playing with mouse and keyboard but game is fine with a usb controller (I use a 360 pad)
    The only real downside I see is that the game is fairly poorly optimized

as for the community, I can't speak hugely for that as I'm still relatively new and looking myself however I don't see how people to hang out with and build discussion wont be cross platform and the best way to get people to play with is if more people buy the game and start organizing things

and with regards to the steam sale
    it's 50% off until June 22nd however it showed up on a flash sale for 75% off which means it's likely to either show up on another flash sale or a daily deal for 75% off again, if you're patient and attentive I'd wait until the last day of the sale to purchase it for $15 incase it's offered for 75% off again

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Laharls_Wrath wrote:I've only ~250 hours logged thusfar and have only played on the pc but if you've a pc capable of it then in my opinion it's a resounding 'yes'
    I can't speak for hackers being more or less common, however you can set dsfix (a mod that deals with many of the 'bad port' issues) to automatically back up your save as frequently as every 10-15 minutes so if you do encounter a malicious hacker (and have stats drained or some other issue) you lose negligible time restoring things
    PvP wise, I've 3 characters around SL100 and the township is pretty much always active, forest and burg seem to be very active at certain times and less so at others
    DSCfix also makes connecting with gfwl friends easier which is a big plus if you have a group of people to play with

I cannot speak for playing with mouse and keyboard but game is fine with a usb controller (I use a 360 pad)
    The only real downside I see is that the game is fairly poorly optimized

as for the community, I can't speak hugely for that as I'm still relatively new and looking myself however I don't see how people to hang out with and build discussion wont be cross platform and the best way to get people to play with is if more people buy the game and start organizing things

and with regards to the steam sale
    it's 50% off until June 22nd however it showed up on a flash sale for 75% off which means it's likely to either show up on another flash sale or a daily deal for 75% off again, if you're patient and attentive I'd wait until the last day of the sale to purchase it for $15 incase it's offered for 75% off again

Thanks ^.^ also I'm pretty sure my pc will be more than capable of playing this game lol. So is it easy to find a match? No long waiting times? As long as the community is good and I don't have to wait for a long time to find a pvp match then I'm fine, also yeah I'll definitely be using the mods that fix the problems with the port.
    Laharls_Wrath
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Laharls_Wrath on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:59 pm

in the township at SL100 I don't think I can go 5 minutes without getting invaded most of the time and typically see a handful of different summon signs
    the burg or forest seem to be hit or miss in terms of waiting
    I've yet to try any other areas extensively, or other pvp levels so I can't speak for them

edit: 5 minutes or so once things get rolling, not sure if it's normal across systems, normal for the pc, or just me but upon launching the game it seems to take a bit before multiplayer elements kick in

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Laharls_Wrath wrote:in the township at SL100 I don't think I can go 5 minutes without getting invaded most of the time and typically see a handful of different summon signs
    the burg or forest seem to be hit or miss in terms of waiting
    I've yet to try any other areas extensively, or other pvp levels so I can't speak for them

edit: 5 minutes or so once things get rolling, not sure if it's normal across systems, normal for the pc, or just me but upon launching the game it seems to take a bit before multiplayer elements kick in

Thanks for the info, if DkS goes on sell for 75% off then i'm going to buy it no matter what XD, even if it's just purely the fact to have it in my library :L Will have to wait awhile though, I'll have the money to buy almost all of my pc (except GPU) Monday but will be using the Integrated GPU until July 30th.

lucania101710

Post by lucania101710 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:01 am

If you do end up getting it, feel free to add me, lucania101710 on GFWL, I'm more than willing to try and help or hang around, been looking for more people to play with on the PC version
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:36 pm

lucania101710 wrote:If you do end up getting it, feel free to add me, lucania101710 on GFWL, I'm more than willing to try and help or hang around, been looking for more people to play with on the PC version

Will do, Tomorrow i get my paycheck, pc parts will take 4 - 7 days to get here so I should be up and running around next week.
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 am

is steam a good thing for pc?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 28, 2017 12:01 am