Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
Bassman Bob
Encore
Zeta Prime
bloodpixel
GkMrBane
tigab95
Aigaios
SwarmOnline
Hart
Soul of Stray Demon
shadowzninjaz
Hatsune Miku
Reaperfan
Slarg232
Ghadis_God
DanTastic
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Marino.
Elite Knight
hey its andres
MosquitoPower
TheMeInTeam
Forum Pirate
PaPaSmVrf
KingSeekerCow
Tolvo
GrinTwist
Serious_Much
TheColdestHeart
Ostrava34
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ResIsBestStat
Latitoast
LunarFog
38 posters

Anime General Discussion

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Anime General Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Anime General Discussion

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 am

Elite Knight wrote:Watched Sword Art Online the other night. It's pretty much just .hack, but I'm probably going to watch it anyway.

Also, I've decided to try and watch Eureka Seven.

Both excellent choices. SAO is anything but a .hack clone though. .hack uses the video game setting just as a way to put an explanation to their generic fantasy world. SAO actually treats its world like a genuine video game, with all the real-world disconnects and interactions therein. It's the first anime I've seen that genuinely seems to understand gaming and the minds and cultures around it (at least with MMO gaming since that's the type of game it happens to take place in).

Eureka Seven is a fantastic watch if you can keep up with its story. You'll have to pay good attention to each moment to really follow what's going on, and even then it gets outlandish and confusing at times. It's got one of, if not the best character growth arcs with its main characters in any anime I've seen, and it ends perfectly leaving you satisfied with everything that happened.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:20 pm

I discovered this cute show called "My little Pony Friendship is Magic" .
    It's just like your Chinese Cartoons pony03 
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Eureka 7 made me cry (and is the only piece of media to succeed in that endevor.) Its hands down my favorite movie/show.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Eureka 7 made me cry (and is the only piece of media to succeed in that endevor.) Its hands down my favorite movie/show.

Eureka Seven got me close to crying, no lies. The only two things in memory that actually got me to genuinely cry have been Toy Story 3 and Clannad: After Story.

I seriously can't praise Clannad enough as a series. It's a series I firmly believe everyone should watch, regardless of if your into anime or not.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm

As for the "out there" comment though, if you can't do what I call "suspended disbelief" then you're going to have problems in anime, and science-fiction/fantasy in general really.

Obviously it has limits, but most of the time, just accept that it is true instead of asking why and you'll probably enjoy yourself more.

Never seen clannad, but thats probably for the same reason I haven't seen many anime. I didn't respect the opinions (in this matter) of the people doing the recommending.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 pm

I saw Clannad and didn't consider it particularly special (it was a few years back and I struggle to remember any details about it at all, in contrast to something like Hunter x Hunter and Berserk where it's been even longer since I've seen them and I remember them well).  It's certainly not something I'd recommend to a person who's never seen Anime before.

SAO > .hack series IMO, even if the premise is roughly as ridiculous and it tapers off after the 1st half it's still stronger than any of the .hack iterations I've seen, and considerably so.  Had they done something with the 2nd half of it that was a bit less generic it could easily be one of the better one's I've seen all time, but they didn't.  It's not like the 2nd half of it was bad, per se, but it missed potential.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:As for the "out there" comment though, if you can't do what I call "suspended disbelief" then you're going to have problems in anime, and science-fiction/fantasy in general really.

Obviously it has limits, but most of the time, just accept that it is true instead of asking why and you'll probably enjoy yourself more.

Never seen clannad, but thats probably for the same reason I haven't seen many anime. I didn't respect the opinions (in this matter) of the people doing the recommending.

I didn't mean that it was too "out there" of a setting (it's about average in terms of anime with how far it goes), but that the actual plot can sometimes tread on being a little too twisted or symbolic. Kinda like what people said about the movie Inception. "It's so confusing man, you blink and you can't keep track of anything anymore!" It's largely the same with E7 in that the plot goes into so many things that if you stop paying attention, even to details, it becomes nearly impossible to fully understand. If you stay attentive though, it's got such a deep story with tons of great messages and things to learn (I actually still use Hilda's method of folding socks to this day). You read those parentheses right, *person who hasn't seen the series yet.* Eureka Seven taught me how to fold socks more efficiently.

As for the second thing, whose opinions do you mean? If it's ours here in this thread don't feel bad about saying so, everyone's got different tastes so nobody should take it personally happy
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:07 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:I saw Clannad and didn't consider it particularly special (it was a few years back and I struggle to remember any details about it at all, in contrast to something like Hunter x Hunter and Berserk where it's been even longer since I've seen them and I remember them well).  It's certainly not something I'd recommend to a person who's never seen Anime before.

SAO > .hack series IMO, even if the premise is roughly as ridiculous and it tapers off after the 1st half it's still stronger than any of the .hack iterations I've seen, and considerably so.  Had they done something with the 2nd half of it that was a bit less generic it could easily be one of the better one's I've seen all time, but they didn't.  It's not like the 2nd half of it was bad, per se, but it missed potential.

Did you just watch the first season, or did you go on to see it's second season Clannad: After Story as well?  Because, admittedly, the first season is much more generic than After Story, and while the first season had emotional ups and downs (that bit about how your dreams and goals change when you become a parent being a big one for me, even despite the fact I'm not a parent) all the hard-hitting moments that got me to honestly cry were in After Story.

As for SAO, I liked the villain in the second half more than the one in the first half ("liked" in this instance means "despised" ergo making him a more effective villain IMO).  Other than him and that once scene where

seriously, don't click if you haven't seen the series:

I have to agree that the second season was indeed weaker.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 pm

not so much.

most of the people I've met who recommend anime, are the same people who talk incessantly about the romance subplot in naruto and wear those stupid headbands.

I dislike these people intensly (and naruto) so I tend to ignore everything these people say.

As for you, I seem to remember stating that unless I say otherwise, others should just assume my opinion is the same as yours. If thats not respecting your opinion, I don't know what is.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:not so much.

most of the people I've met who recommend anime, are the same people who talk incessantly about the romance subplot in naruto and wear those stupid headbands.

I dislike these people intensly (and naruto) so I tend to ignore everything these people say.

As for you, I seem to remember stating that unless I say otherwise, others should just assume my opinion is the same as yours. If thats not respecting your opinion, I don't know what is.

Ahh.  Yeah, nobody likes Narutards (or whatever nickname you personally have for overly-obsessive fans for any of the Big Three).

And now that you say it, I do remember that comment.  However, I also remember it being in response either to a Sequilitis quote or a link to an Extra Credits video, so I took it at the time more of you agreeing with their opinion and not necessarily with mine personally.  I'm surprised and somewhat honored you remembered that. Makes me feel like my opinion kinda matters, even if in this context it's just us having the same opinions instead of introducing new ones happy
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm usually serious, even when I'm joking. It was like the 3rd time that day and the 6th or 7th that week you'd preempted my opinion, with my opinion.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Did you just watch the first season, or did you go on to see it's second season Clannad: After Story as well?  Because, admittedly, the first season is much more generic than After Story, and while the first season had emotional ups and downs (that bit about how your dreams and goals change when you become a parent being a big one for me, even despite the fact I'm not a parent) all the hard-hitting moments that got me to honestly cry were in After Story.

IIRC I saw it all, but it wouldn't be unfair to say that I'm "resistant" to some of that stuff.

The villain in the 2nd half of SAO was better for a few reasons:

- You actually knew who he was and how he operated, because they bothered to develop him.
    - He was constantly present as a threat himself, and made choices we actually got to see that influenced the story
    - His personality is (subjectively) more annoying.  Considerably.

It's debatable whether the "villain" in most of the 1st half is SAO's creator or the game itself, considering its focal point and perspective.  Perhaps that's why I found the 1st half more effective though; it told its story very well without having to do a "meanwhile, in villain HQ" type of setting repeatedly.  It has the rare case of keeping the present threat level high without actually showing the villain's perspective whatsoever, keeping almost entirely to the main character's, and that does lend to its immersion as you have the same information as most of the characters in the story during most of the series.  Adding to that is that they regularly acknowledge the impact of living in a game, and that even if they survive in-game they're still on a timer of sorts (IE their real bodies are lying still).

With the 1st half you had some doubt of most of the character's survival (main characters usually make it, but almost anybody else could have been killed off effectively), as well as when/how the story would end.  In the 2nd it was a lot more predictable and the threat to virtually every single person you see wasn't the same.  IMO that's why the first half of the series is so much stronger.

(or whatever nickname you personally have for overly-obsessive fans for any of the Big Three).

What are the "big 3" currently?  I've been watching more obscure stuff for so long I've kind of lost touch.  Naruto and Bleach are obvious guesses; I've seen maybe 1.5 episodes of naruto and maybe about 1/2 of Bleach.  Probably not Inu-Yasha anymore, though when I was in college you couldn't put on adult swim without bumping into that (same with DBZ at one point).
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:It has the rare case of keeping the present threat level high without actually showing the villain's perspective whatsoever, keeping almost entirely to the main character's, and that does lend to its immersion as you have the same information as most of the characters in the story during most of the series.  Adding to that is that they regularly acknowledge the impact of living in a game, and that even if they survive in-game they're still on a timer of sorts (IE their real bodies are lying still).

Have I mentioned I love the way they bring about disconnects between real and virtual reality?  silly
    I think this tension is mostly brought about due to the audience's acknowledgement of how much easier it is to die in a video game than in real life.  Things like how even as early as the very first episode they bring attention to the fact that you don't feel pain when getting hit.  Now imagine you actually can't feel pain in real life, but know that you can take only take so much damage before spontaneously dying despite feeling perfectly fine up until that point.  Everyone in the show recognizes that, and that's where the fear comes from.

TheMeInTeam wrote:What are the "big 3" currently?  I've been watching more obscure stuff for so long I've kind of lost touch.  Naruto and Bleach are obvious guesses; I've seen maybe 1.5 episodes of naruto and maybe about 1/2 of Bleach.  Probably not Inu-Yasha anymore, though when I was in college you couldn't put on adult swim without bumping into that (same with DBZ at one point).

Naruto
    Bleach
    One Piece

I heard Bleach actually managed to officially end though, so I'm unsure as to whether it's still considered one or not.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:26 pm

uumm... fairy tail might be a big 3 contender if bleach is out then, haven't bothered watching an episode, but i know its got a ton of them. 

btw reaper, one of the symptoms of leprosy iirc is that you become numbed to pain and so do not notice when part of your body is damaged and gets infected (that's what causes the famous deformed limbs; secondary infections not the main disease.)
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:48 pm

I only heard dumb people say that about Inception big grin 

If you want a real deep and complex anime I suggest Stand Alone Complex (seriously guys it's great) and Darker Than Black (also one of my favorites).

Clannad definitely goes beyond typical anime and is really better than a lot of films, quite honestly.

I haven't seen SAO or Eureka, but I'll definitely add them now. Have any of you seen From the New World? Has anyone seen Psycho-Pass?
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:04 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:uumm... fairy tail might be a big 3 contender if bleach is out then, haven't bothered watching an episode, but i know its got a ton of them. 

I'm pretty sure Fairy Tail also officially ended (at least the anime did).  Never really kept up with it though so I can't say for sure.

hey its andres wrote:If you want a real deep and complex anime I suggest Stand Alone Complex (seriously guys it's great) and Darker Than Black (also one of my favorites).

Have any of you seen From the New World? Has anyone seen Psycho-Pass?

I saw Stand Alone Complex long ago back when they first showed it on TV with Adult Swim, and that's honestly created a bit of a problem for me when it comes to trying to rewatch it.  Mostly in that since I got it in bits and pieces back then, watching whatever just happened to be on instead of following it as a whole plot, I got enough of the plot to enjoy it but not in a really sequential or meaningful way that made me engrossed or care about it in any real depth.  To me back then, it was just a good action/political thriller type of show that you watched to see robot secret agents beat bad guys.  I realize this isn't the case and there's actually alot more to it, but that first impression keeps bumping it back down my list when I think of things I want to watch.  Also, since I got enough pieces of the plot in those random viewings I'm at that weird point where I know the basics of what's going on, which makes it harder to want to get back into it because parts of the mystery you're supposed to be watching it for are gone.

Darker than Black is actually pretty high up on my "to watch" list right now though.  Ignoring the possibility of a major tone-shift desire on my part it's probably going to fall right after Stein's;Gate and Another.

As for From the New World, can't say I've heard of it, and I believe I've already discussed my plans for Psycho Pass earlier in the thread.

And an inquiry of my own, I've heard some decent things about a recent show called Sunday Without God.  Anyone know anything/got opinions about it?
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Nope, but I have Sunday Without God on my watch list.

I only brought up Psycho-Pass again because I feel it got a little too much praise. Yes the animation was awesome and some of the scenes were very well done, but I just feel like it gets too close to the second season of Stand Alone Complex at times. If you've seen Stand Alone Complex then you'll understand.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 pm

hey its andres wrote:I only heard dumb people say that about Inception big grin 

If you want a real deep and complex anime I suggest Stand Alone Complex (seriously guys it's great) and Darker Than Black (also one of my favorites).

Clannad definitely goes beyond typical anime and is really better than a lot of films, quite honestly.

I haven't seen SAO or Eureka, but I'll definitely add them now. Have any of you seen From the New World? Has anyone seen Psycho-Pass?
    Shin Sekai Yori was really excellent, but I wouldn't watch SAO, it's pretty bad. 

Psycho Pass was a good series as well, but its exploration of the dystopia was stunted by a very Japanese cultural attitude of submission to authority present in its writing. It never really addressed the big issues at stake when it came to the dichotomy between a "criminal mind" and an actual criminal. Even the writer seemed to accept that thought crime was objectively deserving of punishment, which is rather disturbing and makes me think that the Japanese culture is too intellectually cowed by their rigid and rather authoritarian society to produce much of actual artistic merit, especially where cultural criticism is involved.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Well actually that was one of the reasons it was dystopian. If you recall in the first episode Tsunemori is shocked to realize that they were supposed to kill someone who hadn't done anything wrong. You're not supposed to like that part about it, hence it's dystopian.

Minor spoiler:
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 pm

I just finished angle beats. I am less than impressed, for a number of reasons. A big part is that they spent 5 and a half hours teaching me a lesson I learned a long time ago, and then go and miss an equally important lesson (to value oneself.)
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Well, while we're voicing disappointments...

I have no desire to go back to watching Kanon.  I took my break from it for Madoka Magica and ever since have not even cared about picking it back up.  What I saw so far was good, some of it even great, don't get me wrong.  But ultimately my impression stuck in that it's just a weaker version of Clannad.

Ghadis_God wrote:but I wouldn't watch SAO, it's pretty bad.

Care to elaborate?  I've heard that it's the kind of show with no middle-ground fanbase and that you either love it or hate it, but everyone I've ever talked to about it has been in the "love it" camp and I've never heard from the other side in detail.  What didn't you like about it?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:34 pm

incidentally, I haven't much liked anything else that company does either. A good deal of it is really just echi to mask a general lack of content.
    PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PaPaSmVrf Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 am

The only show to ever make me cry was Kobato. Its cute, funny, and innocent, and my favorite anime ( with Love Live! a veryyyyy close second). I have a hard time with anime that gives all the female characters exagerated *ahem* and such, so most etchi and even fan service is on my list. Heck, i was even aggrivated about the fan service added to SAO in its second season.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:32 am

Reaperfan wrote:Well, while we're voicing disappointments...

I have no desire to go back to watching Kanon.  I took my break from it for Madoka Magica and ever since have not even cared about picking it back up.  What I saw so far was good, some of it even great, don't get me wrong.  But ultimately my impression stuck in that it's just a weaker version of Clannad.

Ghadis_God wrote:but I wouldn't watch SAO, it's pretty bad.

Care to elaborate?  I've heard that it's the kind of show with no middle-ground fanbase and that you either love it or hate it, but everyone I've ever talked to about it has been in the "love it" camp and I've never heard from the other side in detail.  What didn't you like about it?
    The premise is interesting and the first season is pretty decent, but I can't stand the MC. Kirito is ridiculously overpowered and can't do anything wrong, he even gets brought back to life because of some retarded plot magic and none of the other characters ever do anything compared to him. He's the ultimate self insert fantasy and I found him really dull.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:36 am

hey its andres wrote:Well actually that was one of the reasons it was dystopian. If you recall in the first episode  Tsunemori is shocked to realize that they were supposed to kill someone who hadn't done anything wrong. You're not supposed to like that part about it, hence it's dystopian.

Minor spoiler:

I'm not talking about the characters, who grew up in a dystopia, I'm talking about the writing. It dances around the issue of whether a "latent criminal" is an actual criminal, and never addresses whether it's actually wrong or not for the system to be set up as such. Shin Sekai Yori suffered from much the same problem. Both were cases of "coping with dystopia" stories, that never actually delved into what the dystopias effect on the human condition was. 

SSY was better because the entire setup of the show was an allegory for modern culture, and a chillingly effective one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm