Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Latitoast
Kiva the wanderer
phastings
Silver Mont
Sentiel
Emergence
δelta
Animaaal
Tolvo
Aevun
GrinTwist
twigsterxd
LunarFog
Serious_Much
TheMeInTeam
Kirk-Barb
Leeroy_Jenkins
passivefamiliar
Reaperfan
SadPanda
MosquitoPower
Forum Pirate
Soris Ice Goldwing
Dibsville
Phoenix Rising
29 posters

Bring back un-announced invasions!

Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Bring back un-announced invasions! Empty Bring back un-announced invasions!

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 pm

I think this is something they should have never taken out of Dark Souls. If you had the normal red-eye orb your invasion was not announced to the host, but sadly this was changed in the first patch.

I personally would like the stealth invasion brought back...thoughts?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Bring back un-announced invasions! Empty Re: Bring back un-announced invasions!

Post by Dibsville Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 am

I don't want want this back. While I liked how it was, it honestly isn't something that would benefit the players. If anything, it would just make them mad. Nothing is worse than going all the way through the level, and right as you reach the fog gate you get one shot by a Dark Spirit you didn't even know was there.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 am

Seeing as how FROM wants to ramp up the emotional fear in specific areas, what better way than the constant paranoia of a black phantom hiding around the next corner. Could they compromise? Could they make the ambient noise of an invader or the sound of the invasion louder? That way it would be a learning experience for the player the first time they are invaded, and they would know if it ever happened again.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:30 am

A new player to a souls game isn't going to do something once then put two and two together to come to a conclusion.

There's a phantom.
    There's an ambient sound.

99% of people won't put those together and say "An un-moving phantom causes an ambient sound that I can use to know where they are."

Even veterans of the souls games still can't do that with everything.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:35 am

No this is a really bad broken, easily abused idea. I hated the fact I never when I was invaded and get randomly 1 bs killed. I like knowing if I get invaded as it gives me time to prepare for a fight and lower my chances to be caught in a situation I will lose. I think we need announced invasions not the other way around.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 am

I'd accept it, only if spirits make noise (ie with movement) and so an observant (the level of observation required admittedly changes with the situation) player will hear their approach.

This does 2 things, it helps make stealth invasions viable (i have other suggestions on that front) and adds to the overall tension of the game.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:53 am

Its almost that there are two situations on opposite side of the pro/con for this idea.

1. Clueless host is alone and wandering around fighting badies.
    Unannounced invasion = Bad thing.
    -An unannounced invasion would be biiiig boost to invader who will be loaded up with PVP gear while the host may not be even close to being ready for a player fight.

2. Host and 2(3?) phantoms are smashing their way through everything.
    Unannounced invasion =Good thing.
    - An unannouced invasion would actually help even up the score if the invader had the element of surprise.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:17 am

Personally, this would be great. Like in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, you just don't go human. If you're willing to take the risk of going human form, you take the risk of being invaded. Simple as that.

But since we are on the topic of invading in general, I really hope that you don't invade, or summon in as a "color". I'd like to see an element of suprise sort of thing with invading, being normally colored rather than an ethereal form would be great side-by-side with an unannounced invasion mechanic.

I mean, face it. After a while you just run past certain enemies, never thinking anything of them. But to grasp the true feel of tension and constant awareness and paranoia, this is definitely something that Dark Souls II in some way should implement.

And again since it's already on the topic of invasions, I think you should be able to pay a certain amount of souls to put a bounty on someone's head. I know I'm going to get flak, but it would be a cool idea. Like a revised version of the Darkmoons, or Darkwraiths for hire. Anyway, the people in the covenant can take bounties and can eliminate the target for half of the souls the person put up for the bounty. Half goes to the covenant, half for the bounty hunter.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:40 am

Wait...am I the only one who never remembers this ever being a thing? I've been playing since Dark Souls's launch and not once have I ever been invaded without a notice coming up. If I have then the invader certainly never made themselves known.

Honestly though, I don't like this idea. It would only make things slightly more fun for the invader, but infinitely more frustrating for the invaded. There's no balance there since it favors one side at the expense of the other.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:58 am

Reaperfan wrote:Wait...am I the only one who never remembers this ever being a thing?  I've been playing since Dark Souls's launch and not once have I ever been invaded without a notice coming up.  If I have then the invader certainly never made themselves known.

Honestly though, I don't like this idea.  It would only make things slightly more fun for the invader, but infinitely more frustrating for the invaded.  There's no balance there since it favors one side at the expense of the other.
    Hosts can summon phantoms, therefore giving the disadvantage to invaders currently. If it was back to the original formula, PvP would be slightly more balanced.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:51 am

well, I don't know if or how covenants are in dark2 .  But how about make it covenant related? 

Example: way of the white members get a warning when someone invades.

or: dark moons do NOT get a warning.

in game conversation with npcNPC or item description would inform the player of this choice. It would add a whole new level of covenant purpose. Note, those were just 2 examples obviously all covenants would be involved, maybe some only warn if conditions are met etc etc. Idea needs developed on, but iI think its the way to solve this issue. Covens would affect each other as well. Darkmoons would get stealth invasion vs a darkwraithdark wraith even if wraiths nonormally would get a warning. Etc etc.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:47 am

Coming from someone who doesn't invade I think it is a really cool idea here's why... It would allow invaders to have the element of surprise which would be fun for them with stealth kills ect, it would put  invadies on edge more adding to tension and feel of the game and make being in human form more risky/ punishing (something I feel was lacking in DKS as compared to DS), it would even the odds a bit I think cause invadies get phantoms so it's already an uneven fight and as soon as they see "you've been invaded" they get into battle formation and brace or run for the gate or something different than what they would if they didn't know (I know I do)... So all in all I think its a good idea and feels right for the game and if you don't wanna deal with that stay hollow it's not like it takes away half your life and a ring slot so Idk what the deal is there...
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:06 pm

No one has mentioned the best reason for being warned before an invasion.  So you know who is coming into your game.

I like to co-op at low level with low level gear so it is fun for both of us. Once an invader shows up and kills me with high level gear and elemental weapons, I find it very nice to know when he is invading again so I can switch my gear to better match up with him.

There is also the occasional cheater/hacker.  You see their name and you have time to either set a possible ambush, or just quit out.

I hope the warning stays in.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm

I want a covenant that lets you control NPC characters in the level, within reason.  I'm not sure of the details but that would be awesome.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:58 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:I want a covenant that lets you control NPC characters in the level, within reason.  I'm not sure of the details but that would be awesome.
    People keep thinking of my ideas ;_;
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Umm... When did this happen? 

I'd love it- you get a sound, if you miss it, your fault winking
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:09 pm

To be honest, the "Assassin's of DarkMoon Blades" should have been un-announced invasions.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 pm

We already have enough problems with gankers and such. Not getting notifications would only make this worse.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 pm

twigsterxd wrote:We already have enough problems with gankers and such. Not getting notifications would only make this worse.

Isn't it the invaders who are usually ganked?
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    twigsterxd wrote:We already have enough problems with gankers and such. Not getting notifications would only make this worse.

Isn't it the invaders who are usually ganked?

I call hackers/modders gankers too. People with OP toons at low levels. I just summed them all into 1 category
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm

i hate to break it to you, but if a sl 120 is invading a sl 50, that sl 50 is goint to have a hard time at best, wether its announced or not.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:i hate to break it to you, but if a sl 120 is invading a sl 50, that sl 50 is goint to have a hard time at best, wether its announced or not.

True but at least you would have time to prepare instead of being back stabbed while in your inventory or in sniper mode
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 pm

not really gonna matter.

I want stealth back. unannounced invasions would help that. Also sin punishment goes to npc's now, so its unlikely dm's are in 2.

Griefers will still grief and there's no stopping that, no reason not to give stealth a leg up.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Sorry don't agree. People have already found ways of ruining game play. This would just add to it. No notifications would force people to keep looking to see if it's safe before doing anything. Or, online playing will dwindle cause who really wants to play cautiously. Not anyone I know
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Its dks. Play cautiously or die terribly. DKS does not tolerate recklessness.

As I said, it wouldn't affect griefers at all, they can grief just fine either way and there's not a lot to be done about it.

Stealth is almost completely useless in dks pvp, and that's sad. I did predicate my assertion with "only if phantoms make noise" meaning that you would hear them coming if they had any armor worth mentioning, and if they don't they're at a huge disadvantage after that initial strike (assuming they get it) in actual combat.

Also remember that bs's got nerfed (again)in 2 by all appearences.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm