Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Solaire and the Chaos Covenant

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Solaire and the Chaos Covenant Empty Solaire and the Chaos Covenant

Post by DoughGuy Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:16 am

In all my time on this forum there has been one point of the game which I have never seen discussed. Why does ranking up in the Chaos Covenant keep Solaire alive? Of course it makes sense for the chaos covenant to open the shortcut up but why would Solaire be in lost izalith? And why would going through the shortcut save Solaire? The devs could have put him in another place like the crystal cave, tomb of giants or lower new londo but they did not. So what is this connection? Why is working for a daughter of chaos help a kinght of the sun?
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Solaire and the Chaos Covenant Empty Re: Solaire and the Chaos Covenant

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:27 am

Isn't it simply to do with the location of the sunlight maggot. If so then the question could then become why did the devs place the sunlight maggot get placed in Lost Izalith and what is its significance in relation to solaire and his beliefs.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:32 am

No because they could have put him and the sun maggots elsewhere, or made the shortcut still result in his "hollowing". They could have put the maggots in a different area so they couldnt be killed before infecting him.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:47 am

Lol you didn't read the post very well. I'm not trying to criticise your arguement/thought but instead perhaps make you think about why the sunlight maggot was there as opposed to why solaire was there. He seeks the maggot does he not. So why then is he the furthest away from the sun that he can possibly be.

Perhaps a statement about his sanity or about a fall from grace of some kind?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 am

Ah yes I did misread your comment. Let me see if I get it now. You're are saying Solaire was there for the maggots, that he thought they could be his sun? Even then you still have to ask why the shortcut avoids this. They simply could have placed the maggots closer to where you find him where he is "hollow", But they specifically placed it so you could save him if you were in the chaos servant covenant and were fairly dedicated to them .
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:10 pm

In one of the dialogs he said that he was searching in blighttown but that he couldnt find it. This means he must have seen Quelaag. Maybe he saw the astonishing radiance of the "spider" demon and he continues his search down deep to find it. He sees that one of the chaos bugs is very radiant, at last he found his sun!!!!!
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm going to put forth my theory on why Solaire is in Izalith, but it may no have any credibility, but here goes.

Solaire seeks the sun right? And in Acidic Cook's thread he mentions that the Sun not just a symbol of the divine, as Solaire sees it, but also a source of fire. So in this sense Solair could not only be search for the Sun but also for a source of fire (making more sense if he is indeed Gwyn's son but I digress).

Thus as I see it the Sunlight Maggot is found in Lost Izalith because Izalith is the source of another flame i.e the Kiln houses the First Flame while Izalith hosts the flame the witch of Izalith tried to create. A such the Sunlight Maggot becomes the embodiement of the chaos, as I'll call it for simplicity, flame.

The chaos flame, being bastardised from the original first flame is corrupted and this is perhaps the reason that Solaire goes Hollow and insane when he puts of the Maggot.

As to why the Maggot is in Izalith? I drew a really basic picture of Lordran last night and in it the Sun is at the top, Lordran sits in the midddle with the sunlight altar, Izalith is deep below ground away from the suns light but in view of another flame, with Ash Lake as the lowest possible area.

To me this is symbollic of Solaire as his quest progresses. He gets ever more antsy and irrational as he journies into Izalith.

Also Chizfreak mentions in one of his posts that if you save solaire from the Sunlight Maggot and summon him to fight Gwyn at the end he will link the forst flame in his world. This is aparently something the director said and would make sense.

If you consider Solaire to have lost the corrupted embodiement of the flame then by saving himt o help him find the First flame the original source of flame. Sun= Fire= symbollic of the Lord of Sunlight.

Also as for the Chaos covenenant. Is see them as more of a band of individuals against the Chaos flame. So for Quelagg, she tries to stop people entering the Demon ruins, Kirk (if he's oart of the the Daughters of Chaos) tries kill adventurers and steal humanity for Quelan. I draw this conclusion from what Quelana says after you kill the Bed of Chaos. She seems genuinely happy, so from that I assumed she was trying to teach pyromancies to people so that players did not lose themself int he flame as Saladin did. (perhaps the moral of Solaires story?)

I didn't miss anything did I? ALSO BIG THANKS TO ACIDIC COOK FOR ALL THE WORK HE HAS DONE LOOKING INTO THE DARK SOULS LORE! AWESOME DUDE!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 am

Hmmm. I think I have an ideathanks to ViralEnsgin_. So Solaire goes down to Izalith to find his sun which he sees could be the second flame. By helping the Chaos servant covenant you help it in its fight against chaos. Thus by helping it enough you save solaire (a being of law) from the powers of chaos.

The chaos servant covenant fighting against chaos means its name is a bit of a nisnomer. Instead of being actual servants of chaos they are servants to chaos in the way that they MUST fight it. They are servants to the war against it.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 am

Perhaps simply know as Chaos Servants due to them using chaos arts or because of who founded them. In any case they seem to be some what against the Chaos flame/bed of chaos for some reason.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 am

I think they are mainly against the chaos flame since it mutated the leader horribly. Servant implies a more submissive stature than simply using the arts of chaos.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm inclined to agree with you as they were once masters of pyromancies and the chaos flame corrupted and twisted them and thier pyromancies I get the feeling they are either trying to destroy the Bed of Chaos/ Chaos Flame or perhaps even regain control over it.
    Doq
    Doq

Post by Doq Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Solaire is intended to seem like the romantic knight, chivalrous and fiercely loyal. With that though, he comes across much like Don Quixote, madly following some quest that doesn't quite make a lot of sense. The more you encounter Solaire the less sane he seems, the last time you speak to him, at the bonfire after the Centipede Demon, he only mumbles rather crazily about that "sun" of his. I think when he found those sunlight maggots, he seemed to have finally found that sun within his delusional mind.
    PhlyingDutchman
    PhlyingDutchman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:05 pm

I just now noticed how similar the Sunlight Maggot and the Crown of the Dark Sun look... I wonder which one is modeled after the other?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm