Standard PvP in Dark Souls is atrocious

phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Re: Standard PvP in Dark Souls is atrocious

Post by phastings on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm

This may be a strong statement, but I am totally against backstabs as they currently function as cheap way to end a duel. Who wants to wait around for a match, finally invade/host, then immediately die because the opponent is good at sprinting or rolling behind you?

If they were not in the game, imagine how much longer and intense duels would be. There is no sense in arguing their legitimacy, as BS will always be defended, but I literally just rage-quit after I invaded in darkroot garden only to meet two gankers and get backstabbed by one when fighting the other. That seems to be the standard formula in 1v2, and wtf is fun about that (on either side)?

:stone-orange: "Your'e going the wrong way." Point Forward"Don't pay any attention to them. They're just False Alarms. You get a lot of them in the Labyrinth, especially when you're on the right track..."  :stone-orange: "Oh, no you're not." Look Skyward"Oh, shut up!" :stone-orange:"Sorry, just doing my job."
    ---- PSN: robert frost ----
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Latitoast wrote:I've gotten people trying their hardest against a BONEWHEEL SHIELD

It's a shield, have a laugh for once instead of bragging about how 1337 your DMB Katana build is

What goes on in your head?

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:14 pm

btw is DeS pvp still alive? I started playing again and had a tough time finding anyone anywhere aside from 1-4 below sl 70..

:stone-orange: "Your'e going the wrong way." Point Forward"Don't pay any attention to them. They're just False Alarms. You get a lot of them in the Labyrinth, especially when you're on the right track..."  :stone-orange: "Oh, no you're not." Look Skyward"Oh, shut up!" :stone-orange:"Sorry, just doing my job."
    ---- PSN: robert frost ----

correojon

Post by correojon on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:19 pm

TooLeet wrote:
    correojon wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:
    Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:........So what else makes PvP seem boring these days?....

Idk about you guys, but the lag switchers seem to be in abundance nowadays.

What is a lag switcher?

Sorry for the noobish question

People make a "lag switch." It's essentially a switch like what you use to turn on a light in your house, but it is hooked up through your modem/router or whatever, and when you flip the switch is give you a whole lot of lag. You only appear laggy to whoever you're playing.

Edit: was i allowed to describe that?
    Thanks for explaining happy
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Latitoast wrote:I've gotten people trying their hardest against a BONEWHEEL SHIELD

It's a shield, have a laugh for once instead of bragging about how 1337 your DMB Katana build is

What would be the funniest way to kill someone in Dark Souls?

Basically that.

I have Dark Hands for PvPing with, I fought one guy and we both used Pyro gloves.

I'm trying to make a Goku build right now that utilizes the Dragon Bone Fist for Dragon Fist.

Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:

laughing

Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:I think I am finding hosts trying very hard to stay alive these days. It takes the fun away from my fights that and the consumption of grass is very high.

What do you mean by "trying very hard"? You mean hosts are trying to win? I don't understand.

Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Normally a host would accept his fate if someone out played him

But now they're packing wrath and dark bead to get easy one-shot kills once they realize they're losing.

They're desperately sipping Estus and popping humanities

It's almost pathetic to be honest.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Somebody I invaded used a strong spell I should be well aware of and proficient at dodging and then did some stuff I should punish and it made me upset because they should just die when I kill them.

Also this thread is absurd. It's making me not function like a normal human. I am the parsley
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:00 pm

TooLeet wrote:
    Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:I think I am finding hosts trying very hard to stay alive these days. It takes the fun away from my fights that and the consumption of grass is very high.

What do you mean by "trying very hard"? You mean hosts are trying to win? I don't understand.
    Exactly what Lati said. I have been facing these guys more often now. That and the ones who disconnect when they know they lose.

Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Jansports wrote:Somebody I invaded used a strong spell I should be well aware of and proficient at dodging and then did some stuff I should punish and it made me upset because they should just die when I kill them.

Also this thread is absurd. It's making me not function like a normal human. I am the parsley
    That's not the point...

The point is these players are putting things on builds that they think will make sure they cannot die for use when near death.

It's the mentality of those using it, not what they use, but how they use things. I use wrath myself on my faith builds, but I don't sit there and spam it in desperate attempts to save myself from a death when my health gets low.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:43 pm

So if you were low on health you'd sit there and let your opponent finish you off instead of using some of the tools in your build to try and pull yourself out of the problem by your bootstraps?

You could not possibly know specifically the reason a random player chose to put Wrath or Bead or anything else on his build except for 'he probably wants to use it' And you are surprised and even judgmental of people who do in fact use part of their build simply because they were at low health when it happened?

By that reasoning whomever gets the first hit should win every PvP encounter because the other player now lower on health should do the honorable thing and not resort to using his build to try and scrape a win out of a loss.
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 pm

When a person waits until their health bar is very small(note I mentioned near death, as in one hit will kill you) to pull out Dark Bead, they aren't slapping it on there because "It's a fun spell and I use it" but because you want a back-up in case you start losing.

I find it funny that people do this all the time as if it's always going to save them, and then they get mad when I kill them anyways.

I don't care if you use Dark Bead, Wrath, etc. because I'll just dodge it.

I think it's pathetic that people are putting things on builds thinking they can't die because "I have Dark Bead with me"

It's obvious you keep Wrath as a back-up when you save it for when you are one hit away from death.

If I was close to death, I'd fight back, but I don't expect to win every time because "I got da Wrath and da Beadz bruh"

If you use Wrath while at high health, then it's a part of your build you use to compliment a weapon or something

If you save Wrath until you're at low health and then spam it for each and every fight it's simply there to save you from a death.

I find it hilarious that people actually think these things will save them from a death, because each time they die.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:14 pm

It's cool to know you can read people's minds over the internet. Is that a learnable skill or were you born that way? I'd really like to know why people I've never met are doing whatever it is they do with such accuracy.
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Latitoast wrote:When a person waits until their health bar is very small(note I mentioned near death, as in one hit will kill you) to pull out Dark Bead, they aren't slapping it on there because "It's a fun spell and I use it" but because you want a back-up in case you start losing.
    In the game Guild Wars, there is a famous tournament match in which the relatively unknown guild Idiot Savants [iQ] beat the Korean and European favorites in a massive upset. They did this by using creative strategies to overcome their lack of practice and knowledge of the game. One of these strategies was to 'hide' a Meteor Storm. They did this by equipping one of their characters with the spell, then playing the nearly entire game without using it. Then in the final minutes of the match, they revealed the meteor storm. Because the enemy guild did not know of it until this point, they were unable to prepare for it, and they lost the game.

In Dark Souls I call this phenomenon "Schrodinger's Combustion."

Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm

After 10 or so invasions in a row of someone trying to pull something on me before I kill them I expect it on every build I fight.

I don't think you're getting the point.

I don't dislike people for a playstyle, I may dislike a fight because someone couldn't play and the fight was too easy, I just think it's hilarious that someone would keep something to spam as way to prevent a death.

And Jan, there's this thing called inferring, I inferred that it's a back-up because of how they only used it when they're in a sticky situation, inferring is fun, you should try it sometime.

Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42 pm

I get what you're saying, and people do it all the time. They get low on health and panic and spam a spell or whatever it is. But, have you ever heard the saying "Save the best for last"? Maybe that's their plan. Who knows. 

I understand what you're saying, but you can't make that assumption because that might be there plan.

I have lost to people who spar WoG at the start of a match, middle, and end. If that person wants to do that, you better be able to counter it. Plain and simple. No matter how far in the match/what health is left.

Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Also, you guys have to understand what he's trying to say. He has a point. But, you just can't always assume that's the case.

Edit: And another thing, you can't assume people are "trying their hardest" against your bonewheel shield. And if they are, so what. I hate when people talk about "trying hard." You're supposed to crush everyone in your path. If someone doesn't have the skills someone else does, and they have to try "harder" to win so be it.

I really don't get the term try hard. I'm guilty of using it before, but after talking to some people on here they made me realize that term doesn't make sense.

That's like playing football, and someone makes fun of you or whatever for trying to tackle someone. If that makes sense (in my head it does) lol.

Last edited by TooLeet on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 pm

It's happening....
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Animaaal wrote:It's happening....

What's happening?

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:53 pm

The cancer....nail biting 

It's been happening for about a month now.
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:05 pm

TooLeet wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:It's happening....

What's happening?
    The thing where one person makes a post and people insult the poster for it, regardless of if it was meant in ill-will...

Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:09 pm

How about Hackers? Same old stuff as usual or we seeing some new things?

Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:18 pm

I never insulted anyone. I thought (wrongly) that it might simply be a part of someone's build to have access to WoG or some such. When in fact you are able to discern people's intentions and inner most thoughts through DaS PvP. Quite a marvelous talent.

My obvious sarcasm aside. I find it quite irritating that literally everything ever gets complained about at some point, I mean seriously you just complained about players trying to win despite being in a losing situation. I can't understand what is causing complaints to seem to me more and more ridiculous to me. I used to see complaints and found that some had what I felt was reasonable validity, but really people trying to win is the new big issue in PvP?!

goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Jansports wrote:

I find it quite irritating that literally everything ever gets complained about at some point

I know its very annoying.

DkS would be a much better experience if everyone just played the game, died, enjoyed themselves, and just let things go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 pm