Hesitant To Buy DkS For PC...

Brodyzera

Hesitant To Buy DkS For PC...

Post by Brodyzera on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:21 am

I've been playing Dark Souls for about a year on the PS3, and have been interested in the PC port for awhile now.  I really want to play with my friends (who don't have a PS3) so we all decided to buy Dark Souls (PC) the next time it goes on sale for Steam. I have a feeling that it will be cheap for the Steam summer sale, but after seeing all of these "problems with hackers" threads, I'm a little hesitant.  Just how bad IS the hacker issue?  I know I can backup my saves and such, but I don't want 90% of my PvP to be against a hacker.  Is the port still worth getting (the next time it goes on sale), or are my friends out of luck?

Addicted
    Addicted

Re: Hesitant To Buy DkS For PC...

Post by Zyrrashijn on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:33 am

My experience is that 90% of PvP is not hacker infested. I've met 2 so far, but i met even more gankers, griefers and the like. I've even met a hacker that did not want to ruin PvP, just invade as Gwyn, Lord of Cinder. Check out the second Episode from the link in my Sig.
    I say, it's worth it.

participations:
    Member of the Paths of the Dragon's Cabal - Join our PC-Chapter, fellow dragonlings!
    Member of the Clergy at Sunlight Coalition

Follow me and DarkwraithBlondie on YouTube as we beat up NG+!

tonberryking01
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tonberryking01 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:53 am

People say the PC has worse hackers, but of the few hackers I've fought, most were on PS3. Most people I duel play fair, with the occasional bow-attacking, chain-backstabbing WoG spammer.

Another common complaint I'd like to address is that people say controlling it with a keyboard is harder than with a controller. But, with a bit of key remapping I actually find it much easier to use the keyboard.

Honestly, I haven't touched my PS3 edition since the PC on came out. happy

Edit: Hey, Zyrra and Brody. You two joined on the same day! Cool.
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:36 am

I run into about 1 per week on average. Most are just inf hp or pumped hp, but every now and then (read: rarely) I'll run into a proper c*** who uses something a little more malicious, but that's only happened about twice in ~400hrs.

Post by DivineAkuma on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 am

The main problem I have the PC version is that there is barely anyone playing online compared to the console versions, I rarely get invaded or see summon signs, or get summoned for that matter.
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:07 am

Played around 500 hours on PC, been playing on the BOX for the past 3 months and i've bumped into more hackers on the box than pc. That been said there's some nasty hacks on the PC. It's worth for some of mods out there(non hack), dsfix sorts out a lot and there's some cracking skins and retexture mods out there.

Also what divine said, PVPwise it's miuch quiter than the consoles, it's the main reason i went to the box, outside a few area's invasions are rare and darkmoon invasions are very hard to do at times.

PC:AnCapaillMor

XBOX: I'll give you 2 guesses
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 am

It's quieter invasion wise yes, but if you get DSCFix it makes for great co-op runs.

DSCFix means you get nearly instant summons with your mates, and the lower population means you're less likely to be invaded while trying to summon your buddy or running through the level, so great if you want to do a silly playthrough with a friend.

Post by Brodyzera on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:21 pm

StiffNipples wrote:It's quieter invasion wise yes, but if you get DSCFix it makes for great co-op runs.  

DSCFix means you get nearly instant summons with your mates, and the lower population means you're less likely to be invaded while trying to summon your buddy or running through the level, so great if you want to do a silly playthrough with a friend.

That's one of the main reasons as to why we are all buying it for PC happy

Thanks for the input everyone, looks like I'll be purchasing it on the next steam sale!

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Laharls_Wrath on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:31 pm

only way to make the game less quiet is for more people to buy it
    and even if it's quieter invasion wise places like the township are still pretty much nonstop from my limited experiences (got the game about a month ago and only have 200 hours logged)
    everything else has been said and idk how you could really argue against buying it during a steam sale

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    CarverUpqik
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CarverUpqik on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:28 pm

ps3 and xbox also have ALOT of hackers but pc has it by far the worst just look at this video
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22994-sohave-you-met-the-worst-kind-of-hackers-yet-i-have-video
    although ive run into the same guy on ps3 hacking many times (until i blocked him) he could never teleport me :/ although he did have the mask  which is creepy but i dont think you can hack the console versions like you can the pc, im not 100% sure of that but idk how you would make it so you can teleport people on ps3, maybe 360 but not ps3 seeing as its harder to hack in the first place >.<

Post by Brodyzera on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:48 pm

CarverUpqik wrote:ps3 and xbox also have ALOT of hackers but pc has it by far the worst just look at this video
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22994-sohave-you-met-the-worst-kind-of-hackers-yet-i-have-video
    although ive run into the same guy on ps3 hacking many times (until i blocked him) he could never teleport me :/ although he did have the mask  which is creepy but i dont think you can hack the console versions like you can the pc, im not 100% sure of that but idk how you would make it so you can teleport people on ps3, maybe 360 but not ps3 seeing as its harder to hack in the first place >.<
    Part of the teleporting could be from some sort of lag switch to cut the players latency, making it look like they are teleporting.  I've been lucky on the PS3 version and only ran into 1 hacker (in the forest...) who had unlimited health in my 300+ hours.  I'm hoping that my dual wield shield build will be enough to knock em off a ledge winking

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CarverUpqik on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Brodyzera wrote:
    CarverUpqik wrote:ps3 and xbox also have ALOT of hackers but pc has it by far the worst just look at this video
    Part of the teleporting could be from some sort of lag switch to cut the players latency, making it look like they are teleporting.  I've been lucky on the PS3 version and only ran into 1 hacker (in the forest...) who had unlimited health in my 300+ hours.  I'm hoping that my dual wield shield build will be enough to knock em off a ledge winking

how can lag teleport you from oolacile to new londo?????

Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Teleporting people to different locations (Abyss, below the map, Ash Lake, etc) is a hack placed onto a weapon, same as egghead, dragon body, curse, etc. 

Nothing to do with lag in the slightest.

Post by Brodyzera on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Sorry, thought you meant the invader teleporting around the area that you are fighting in, not literally teleporting YOU to a different location xD

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Understandable. It's a pretty rare hack, if you enable save back ups with DSFix it doesn't matter how bad they hack you as you can just roll back a save (15min intervals) and continue on. Worst thing is losing a few mins.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:54 pm