Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Latitoast
SirArchmage
Forum Pirate
LunarFog
ResIsBestStat
Dibsville
SadPanda
11 posters

Dragonball Z is Killing me ;-:

SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Dragonball Z is Killing me ;-: Empty Dragonball Z is Killing me ;-:

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Honestly, no show, movie, book, videogame, has given me as many tears as the Dragonball series. I'm not really into Anime, but damn, Dragonball is just too damn good. It just sucks that there's so many plot holes and glorifying of Goku. Vegeta master race, best character development I've ever seen.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Dragonball Z is Killing me ;-: Empty Re: Dragonball Z is Killing me ;-:

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Dragonball is separate from Dragonball Z.

You've given me mixed feelings!
    Panda pls!

Which one do you mean?!
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 pm

"Dragonball Z has an excellent plot!"
    I CALL BULL****
    However since you don't watch anime, I forgive you.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Dibsville wrote:Dragonball is separate from Dragonball Z.

Panda pls!

Which one do you mean?!
    Both Dragonball and Dragonball Z, I don't like GT at all.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 pm

SadPanda wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:Dragonball is separate from Dragonball Z.

Panda pls!

Which one do you mean?!
    Both Dragonball and Dragonball Z, I don't like GT at all.
    I think I love you.
    No homo.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

ResIsBestStat wrote:"Dragonball Z has an excellent plot!"
    I CALL BULL****
    However since you don't watch anime, I forgive you.
    I never said it had a good plot. A lot of the times characters are boosted for the sake of trying to make a plot twist, and villains are overpowered for the sake of being stronger than every Z Fighter. Like how Gohan could have easily beaten Super Buu but Buu absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo. Or how Vegeta destroyed Buu but Buu pulled a Cell and regenerated.

They have a problem of Yamcha'ing every single character, making them useless. Nobody except Goku and Piccolo are still powerful after Dragonball, and SSJ was made into a laughingstock in the Buu saga when any Saiyan could go SSJ regardless of their training.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 pm

I could talk about dragon ball z all day.  Almost every other character is better and less shallow than Goku.  Vegeta should have been the one to kill Majin Buu.  Vegeta has the two coolest attacks in the show(final flash vs Cell and final atonement vs Buu).  Teen Gohan is best Gohan.  Vegeta takes the worst and most amount of *** whippings in the whole show, and by saiyan logic he should be way stronger than Goku.  Goku had the most amount of special training(Hyperbolic time chamber, alien race after Namek, Other world training, etc.) while all the human characters didn't get anything; if their roles were switched and Goku got zero special training while the human characters got everything, they'd be just as strong as Goku.  Dragon Ball GT should have been about the next generation of Z-fighters and not just Goku again.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Also, if you want more tears and bad *** men, you should watch Hajime no Ippo.  Almost every fight ends with me wanting to cry for many reasons.  And it gives you a new feeling of watching a show with two protagonists fighting and no bad guy per se.  Almost none of the guys the main character fights are "bad guys" but there are times where you love both the characters equally as much and you don't want to see either of them lose.  You should definitely watch that one.

SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 pm

LunarFog wrote:Also, if you want more tears and bad *** men, you should watch Hajime no Ippo.  Almost every fight ends with me wanting to cry for many reasons.  And it gives you a new feeling of watching a show with two protagonists fighting and no bad guy per se.  Almost none of the guys the main character fights are "bad guys" but there are times where you love both the characters equally as much and you don't want to see either of them lose.  You should definitely watch that one.

Like I said, I'm not really into Anime. Maybe it'll be an acquired taste thing for me, but right now it just doesn't interest me. My friend has been bugging me to watch Soul Eater, is that any good?
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm the complete opposite of you and LOVE anime.  I had to quit the anime club in highschool because I was sick of dealing with people who don't know what they're talking about.

Soul eater is ok.  I'd give it a 6.5/10.  I loved it when I was watching it and thought it had great soundstrack, art, action, and jokes but it had the absolute worst ending of any anything I've ever experienced.  Absolute garbage.  After I watche it though I realized that it wasn't really that good and was pretty mediocre in every aspect.  

It's definitely a more kiddy anime though, so if your looking for more like...adult-y or smart, or mature anime then you won't like it.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm

LunarFog wrote:I'm the complete opposite of you and LOVE anime.  I had to quit the anime club in highschool because I was sick of dealing with people who don't know what they're talking about.

Soul eater is ok.  I'd give it a 6.5/10.  I loved it when I was watching it and thought it had great soundstrack, art, action, and jokes but it had the absolute worst ending of any anything I've ever experienced.  Absolute garbage.  After I watche it though I realized that it wasn't really that good and was pretty mediocre in every aspect.  

It's definitely a more kiddy anime though, so if your looking for more like...adult-y or smart, or mature anime then you won't like it.
    Anime has just been one of those things where people either love it or hate it. And it seems every anime is really cliched or just annoying in general. I'll try watching some more and maybe it'll grow on me. Have any recommendations?
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:33 pm

I definitely know how you feel when you think everything is cliche.  What kind of movies/shows/books do you like?  Are you more into art style or plot?  Prefered genres?  
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 pm

You're wrong.

Goku always has help in z. He couldn't take radiz without piccolo, he couldn't take vegeta untill someone offed his tail, he couldn't take frieza untill everyone else had bought him the time for the spirit bomb (which didn't work,) he couldn't take the androids because of the heart problems, he couldn't take cell (gohan did it) he couldn't take buu (he lost and healed at least twice I think, and he lost as gogeta too) buu was taken down as a team (gohan could have done that alone too, but he fell for that stupid trap if I remember right)

Other people, the fans and game makers (and terrible gt writer) focus on glorifying goku, but in z goku couldn't have done jack crap without his allies (and enemies for that matter) putting their lives on the line with him, goku just (generally) gets the final blow (being more skilled than gohan and stronger than vegeta)
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:You're wrong.

Goku always has help in z. He couldn't take radiz without piccolo, he couldn't take vegeta untill someone offed his tail, he couldn't take frieza untill everyone else had bought him the time for the spirit bomb (which didn't work,) he couldn't take the androids because of the heart problems, he couldn't take cell (gohan did it) he couldn't take buu (he lost and healed at least twice I think, and he lost as gogeta too) buu was taken down as a team (gohan could have done that alone too, but he fell for that stupid trap if I remember right)

Other people, the fans and game makers (and terrible gt writer) focus on glorifying goku, but in z goku couldn't have done jack crap without his allies (and enemies for that matter) putting their lives on the line with him, goku just (generally) gets the final blow (being more skilled than gohan and stronger than vegeta)
    Goku killed Frieza, stopped Vegeta, killed Kid Buu, saved the world around 7 times in total. And is the hero of nearly every movie, if we're talking canon, he's still their ultimate fighter. He beat King Piccolo and kept the Dragonballs from Pilaf in the original Dragonball. And killed nearly every Shadow Dragon in GT. If you say that they didn't over-glorify Goku then you're in denial.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 pm

LunarFog wrote:I definitely know how you feel when you think everything is cliche.  What kind of movies/shows/books do you like?  Are you more into art style or plot?  Prefered genres?  
    I don't really mind. I don't want anything too "cute" anime driven. And I don't really want anything that takes itself too seriously. I'd prefer dubbed anime, but just subbed is fine. Preferably something with action sequences, but with comedic relief.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Have you tried Death Note? Code Geass? Definitely more mature ones there that focus more in how intelligent the characters are.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Gurren Lagaan.  Look up any scene and you'll be blown away with how over-the-top it is. 
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:57 pm

I'd go with Code Geass like Arch said, that's really good.

Got a couple sad deaths too.

Zero no Tsukaima and Sword Art Online are good ones too, I liked those a lot.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:00 pm

LunarFog wrote:Gurren Lagaan.  Look up any scene and you'll be blown away with how over-the-top it is. 
    Watching episode 1 right now.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 pm

SadPanda wrote:
    LunarFog wrote:Gurren Lagaan.  Look up any scene and you'll be blown away with how over-the-top it is. 
    Watching episode 1 right now.
    Tell me what you think.    And keep in mind that the anime gets more and more ridiculous the longer it goes on.  There's a scene where someone pilots a giant gundam, piloting a bigger gundam, and flies to the moon to turn it into a pilotable gundam to upperut an alien mothership and break time and space to punch a god-like being in the face.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Alright I'm about 5 minutes in, he's trying to dig to Heaven? This seems pretty cool.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 pm

I hate guren lagan. The over the top ness is a huge turn off. I'd recommend cowboy beebop. SPace western, ftw.

Did you downrep me panda? Yes, goku did what you said, but he always, always had help and frequently had to try more than once, only surviving because other people step in to let him heal and try again, that was my point. For example, He killed kid buu with a sprit bomb, which is completely independant of his abilities for the record, while vegeta risked oblivion to give him the time. He's the "ultimate" fighter only in that he's the best balance of strength and skill (for the record, i don't count gt)  vegeta has demonstrated (at the beginning of the buu saga) that he can match his skill, and mystic gohan took skinny buu, who beat goku prompting the gogeta fusion.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:10 pm

SadPanda wrote:This seems pretty cool.
    Dragonball Z is Killing me ;-: 3636-mmmmm
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:12 pm

I believe that the over-the-top situations is supposed to illustrate the point that the entire show is making:  You can do the impossible if you try hard enough
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I hate guren lagan. The over the top ness is a huge turn off. I'd recommend cowboy beebop. Space western, ftw.
    Forgot about Cowboy Bebop. It is another one that isn't ridiculously filled with cuteness and over-the-top situations. Much more relaxing to watch then any other anime.

Fly on, space cowboy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pm