Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
IV_Mark_VI
cerealaire
Odinbear
7 posters

Dark souls game data backup to restore ?...

Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Dark souls game data backup to restore ?... Empty Dark souls game data backup to restore ?...

Post by Odinbear Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, it happened. Yesterday, some hail an Lightning storms raged through here. Power blinked while playing DkS. So I shut it down, little while later, rain was letting up so I powered it all back up, said needed to check and restore, I say, "do it", just as it starts rain begins to increase, got worried but restore made it with no power failure, so I plug the NIC cable back in and had just signed into PSN when, Zzzzzt.  Lightning strike apparently came through NIC and out through the HDMI (the HDMI In port on tv no longer works.  ordered a new ps3 within an hour, knowing the worse.  Today, I hook it up using the composite. Ugh.   But it booted after seeing an ominous corruption message in many languages. Just want my DkS saved data now, so I shove a 8gb USB thumb drive in and. Cannot grab ANY Game save data, they all DO NO HAVE THE COPY OPTION. DkS can be saved to PS+. Though. (further testing and I no longer can use the NIC, no surprise there, but I gets the same error trying to configure wifi. In fact it no longer sees the wifi on the scan).  So. I try full sys backup, lol 80gb, so now I'm formatting my NTSC TB drive to a Fat32. So the full backup will be accommodated.  
    Whew...  Now the ques.

My DkS game saves will be restorable this way , correct?   Why can't I just copy them to my thumb drive?  Somehow, it seems, all my game saves got copy-protected on the restore, not sure how that would be possible, though.

Lastly, I miss this game already. sadsadsad
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dark souls game data backup to restore ?... Empty Re: Dark souls game data backup to restore ?...

Post by cerealaire Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:49 pm

you should talk to sony if you want to do your thing
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Dark souls game data backup to restore ?... Empty Re: Dark souls game data backup to restore ?...

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 pm

The media itself might be damaged, or the file allocation table might be corrupted.

Have you tried putting in another game, saving some data, then trying to back that up (via USB)? .

So, Dark Souls cannot see the save data?
    Thumb drive cannot see any data?

I'm having doubts that a full restore will yield any results but it might.  Might be a utility to fix it as well.

Good luck...
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I think in the past 5-6 hours a dozen Dark Souls players bought PSN+.

Hope it all works out dude.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 pm

MAnimaaal wrote:I think in the past 5-6 hours a dozen Dark Souls players bought PSN+.

Hope it all works out dude.
    pSN+ will not help since it doesn't have Internet capabilities anymore.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:The media itself might be damaged, or the file allocation table might be corrupted.

Have you tried putting in another game, saving some data, then trying to back that up (via USB)? .

So, Dark Souls cannot see the save data?
    Thumb drive cannot see any data?

I'm having doubts that a full restore will yield any results but it might.  Might be a utility to fix it as well.

Good luck...
    I haven't tried to play DkS yet.  I see data for it, the DLC and sev other games, but none have the option to copy. I can only Delete or view Information .  Cleaned the ps3 up and deleted some game save data to make a smaller full backup. Will try and play tomorrow before trying the full sys backup again.  

Can you confirm that the DkS game save data is not copy protected and that I should see the copy option?
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:58 pm

USB sticks aren't in my usual spot; I'll look tomorrow and let you know.  Heading to bed.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:20 am

People started sharing svae files to obtain Trophies easily and some even used PC to mod these save files. So to avoid that, most save files are copy protected. You can do a PS+ backup, I did the same, after losing my Save File to data corruption two times. Third time, PS+ got my back. happy

Anyway, the full PS3 backup may not work. It works on most files, but not on every. Also, if the file itself got corrupted, then it won't fix the save file, at best, it will copy the corrupted file, but it will probably ignore it.

I can confirm that DkS is copy protected. I had to get PS+ to back it up. You have the copy option only to copy it to PS+. On Xbox, I think you can copy any file, thus maybe the confusion about it being copyable, or no.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:27 am

Never tried on Dark souls but i do know demons was copyrighted and i could never back it up. It was the only thing i lost when i went from phat PS3 to slim.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:53 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:Never tried on Dark souls but i do know demons was copyrighted and i could never back it up. It was the only thing i lost when i went from phat PS3 to slim.

Same with Dark Souls, a full Backup on a USB disk will bring you back the Dark and Demons Souls save data only on the same PS3, not on any other PS3.
    The only way to bring Dark and Demons Souls save data to a new ps3 is with ps+ or with a crossover LAN connection between the old and the new ps3.
    NIC is dead....so i fear it's lost.

If a ps3 dies within guarantee i read, that sony can do something for you - but i don't know for sure and don't know how they do it and if they do it, when your ps3 got killed by lightning. I think they need minimum the old ps3 to put the keys/id from the old ps3 on the new one, or map it in their database.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:48 am

Walter, I had the unpleasant experience of losing two PS3s. I'm currently on my third and while I believe the data can be salvaged from the HDD of a broken PS3, until the HDD has been fried, or something, it's impossible to do, because it's encrypted. Even if you do salvage the data, or remove the HDD itself, other PS3s will refuse the data, or will require to format the HDD before acceptiing it.

While we have a warranty, or guarantee, for our PS3s from Sony, it does not apply for the data you have on HDD. Sony, in general, doesn't repair the broken consoles. It will simply take a look if the damage wasn't done by the user and if not, then they give you a refurbished one and yours, will be turn into another refurbished console later on. While I'm sure they could recover and transfer your data, they don't and will not. I asked about this at Sony each time my console died and when I was there on a bussiness visit.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:52 am

Just doesn't get any better, eh.   So this is just weird that a full sys backup cannot be restored to another box.  ( what's the purpose of the backup capability then?)
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 am

u can restore a sys backup on another ps3, but the DS save files won't be restored (or not backed up in the first place, idk)
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 am

Walter_White wrote:
    AnCapaillMor wrote:Never tried on Dark souls but i do know demons was copyrighted and i could never back it up. It was the only thing i lost when i went from phat PS3 to slim.

The only way to bring Dark and Demons Souls save data to a new ps3 is with ps+ or with a crossover LAN connection between the old and the new ps3.
    NIC is dead....so i fear it's lost.

Hmmm, when the new PS3 arrives, despite NIC being dead on one, can a crossover connection be made with a USB to USB cable?   
    I thought backing up my DkS game saves was gonna be a cakewalk, which is why I just set the thumb drive next to the PS3. And never did it.  Had I known that PSN+.  Was needed to do this, I might have considered the purchase, just for that feature.  Personally I see no need for a backup utility, if game saves are not backed up. They are the only thing that really represents a time investment to acquire the data and really the Only thing I would ever want to backup. Wtf Sony.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

You could try taking the HD out and putting it into a caddie and make it a usb drive.

Last edited by AnCapaillMor on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 am

idk if the ps3 got something like the wii, a USB2LAN Adapter that works with the console. USB2USB i never heard of - that are both USB-hubs you want to connect, can't work in my understanding of USB....but sony is doing often very strange things (like a complete Audio Card virtualization in the PS3...thats why the ps3 got crappy sound).
    WLAN isn't working? With that you could do the backup to PS+

I already changed my fat to an ultraslim with the LAN crossover connection and it's a very good feature. Also i made a complete disk backup before i gave the console for some month to a friend. After i got it back i just copied everything back and had nothing else to do, it was like my ps3 was never away. the features are good, but u got owned by their copy protection of save game files....
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am

So... I cannot backup my saves?

Lame.  Really lame.  Unless I buy a vita?  No thanks.

Apparently subscribing to Playstation Plus will also allow that option.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:So... I cannot backup my saves?

Lame.  Really lame.  Unless I buy a vita?  No thanks.

Apparently subscribing to Playstation Plus will also allow that option.
    I don't have a Vita, so I can't comment on that, but PS+ does enable you to back up ALL of your save data.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:29 pm

No other options?  No complex backup and then edit hex values?
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:35 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:No other options?  No complex backup and then edit hex values?
    None that I know of.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 pm

I'd be really unhappy if I lost my main character...

Completely legit.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:07 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:I'd be really unhappy if I lost my main character...

Completely legit.

I'm not smiling.    While I "get it", that an easy backup of game saves makes for ez hacking of the same game saves.  They should be and are encrypted so seems like a money grab by Sony to make you join PSN+.  

New PS3 arrived yesterday, am going to try to cable the 2 together via NIC, ALTHOUGH I FEAR THE NIC IS toast. If recovery of my nine toons is null and void, guess I'll rebuild them even better this time.

I do miss my blue guy strength build already, his name was " le meatshield" for those writing a eulogy.  Lol
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:04 am

No idea but I would think the Ethernet and the wifi would be on separate boards?  If both are toast could be a motherboard problem...
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:12 pm

undefined wrote:
    IV_Mark_VINo idea but I would think the Ethernet and the wifi would be on separate boards?  If both are toast could be a motherboard problem...

Could be but seems to boot fine, have yet to play on it (720 looks soooo blah).  Lightning did seem to come in the NIC.  And out the Optical audio cable into my Sony 7.1 home theatre unit.  That unit only Clicks on, but has no LED. DISPLAY anymore and does not seem to have any audio. (aka.  toasted)

Will be playing withit again today to see if the unit can just be used offline and if it has ANY. audio output. More important I get the new unit, up and running with DkS installed.  Oh and Little Big planets racing game. Hehe
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:34 pm

What were you using as a surge protector??  Not that it owuld protect against a direct lightning strike...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm