Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Dr__Awkward
Sentiel
Raikan007
xenon_nobelium
KrazykevS10
shadowzninjaz
Seignar
WyrmHero
Forum Pirate
RANT
Ghadis_God
Dibsville
cerealaire
skarekrow13
Carphil
19 posters

best greatsword none dlc

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

best greatsword none dlc - Page 3 Empty Re: best greatsword none dlc

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:28 am

Raikan007 wrote:could someone please explain in detail what dead angling is?
    Dead-angling is when you attack inside the hitbox, but also outside the guard box. In this instance, you are able to hit someone even though they blocked the attack. A common way to dead-angle is by running to the side and hitting someone with a greatsword running attack. They are in the greatswords hitbox, since it is a 360 degree turn, but they can not guard it since you have to be in front of the greatsword in order to block it. So even though they have their shield up, they take damage.

Another good example is Wrath of the Gods. To dead-angle with it, all you have to do is simply cast it while your back is to the enemy. They can not block it unless they turn around themselves, which due to lag is near impossible, so it's either roll or get hit.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 am

A more simple way to put it is that they turn away or to the side when attacking with a weapon that has a wide sweep or large backswing,the game pretty much ends up thinking they are behind you because they land a hit while facing that direction so the attack isn't blocked.It's a glitch and a nasty one at that.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 am

It's a glitch a fault in the game that shouldn't exist.
    I'm thinking about getting myself one of these notorious modded weapons to one shot guys that do this crap.
    Hmmm...
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:07 am

Sentiel wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting myself one of these notorious modded weapons to one shot guys that do this crap.
    Hmmm...
    *puts Claymore in bottomless box*

Who would do such a thing.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:28 am

Dibsville wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:
    Hmmm...
    *puts Claymore in bottomless box*

Who would do such a thing.
    Clay is ok. I have 62 Poise to tank stab guys that do DA with Greatswords. Ultra Greatswords, Curved Swords (you know, high Poise GT 2H R1 DA spam) and WoG is what irks me the most.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 am

I usually run 58 poise, so I wouldn't know.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 am

60+ lets you tank running greatsword 2H R1 and two 2H R1 hits from Curved Swords. Also Black Flame.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am

Knight Legs, Knight Gauntlets, Wolf Ring.
    Every single build.
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am

ok cool guys, I think I understand it to be honest, probably more visible on PvP which I dont play at the moment happy

thanks again
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 am

The MLGpro sword
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:32 pm

how much drake scales to get it to max for the moonlight greatsword?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:33 pm

cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:34 pm

damn i have 7 or 9 maybe 8 i dont know
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    Hmmm...
    unless you can show me where from has specifically said that, you can't prove it. it could be intentional, you have no way of knowing unless a dev has said either way, all you can do is speculate, which is ultimately pointless in this instance.

For the record, its good for the meta by presenting flaws in the otherwise impenetrable defense of greatshields (or alternating mid shields,) most notably havels. If guard breaking worked as a viable tactic, and not just a good way to get parried, Then it could be done without but as is its whats keeping thrust weapon turtles from being the dominant strategy in game (and its still one of the best to be had)
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Blocking a weapon, even hearing the sound of it hitting the shield, yet it still doing full damage is wrong, no matter how hard people may try to defend it, or require further proof that it's something wrong with the game's mechanics. Defending it, because it's a part of the meta spells "I suck at dealing with shields" to me. Even if From comes and says it's intentional it won't change anything for me. In my opinion, based on my common sense it is a glitch and it will remain a glitch no matter what until it gets removed. 

For the record. Bypassing my shield doesn't butthurt me as much as the fact that DAs ignore parries. If I could still parry DAs (without adjusting the direction I face) like a nomral attack, I wouldn't mind them that much.

Forum, we already had this discussion, If you wish to continue, let's do it elsewhere, or by PMs. I don't want to further derail this thread.
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:41 pm

The sword you obtain from the black dragon is a beast, for the little stats that it requires. (though then again, he probably is the hardest boss in the game) It's also enchantable with DMB and lightning

I'm thinking about making a different kind of build where all i did is just reach the stat requirement of this bawz weapon, then dumping the rest of my stat into vilitally or endurance or something. Maybe i can run a fairly low level faith build with this too, since i need little stats for this build to work

Also moonlight greatsword, because all you need to know about that weapon is that it does getsuga tenshou. (and it's one of the only few int specfic weapon)
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:03 am

your next step should be to pick one of the above swords, make it +15 and get the correct stats. (and then tell me if you'll ever go elemental upgrade again ;P)

Elemental is great for most builds that are significantly below 100.  Otherwise you can't really get a decent amount of HP/Stamina and still do respectable damage.  The split damage really hurts though.  This is why I would either recommend *very* fast hitting weapons with good critical (dagger, BK, rapier, estoc, those kinds of things) OR a very large weapon like the Zweihander (it has enough oomph in both physical and elemental that the damage is still quite fearsome).

Even at 100, an elemental can make plenty of sense if you're also a caster, especially one not relying heavily on buffs.

As for OP's question, I'd recommend he just stick with the claymore; the others aren't going to do much more damage and the clay's moveset is solid as many have pointed out.  I never used greatswords much until a recent Zweihander kick, and man is the zwei fun.  I'm not sure why ANYBODY fights with it locked on though big grin.  It's not the most exciting moveset on a 16str/10dex build 2 handing it (swing sideways, kick, or overhead chop), but the dead-angling and sweeping hits without much tell before the swing starts where the unlocked wielder will swing it are very nice.  Flattens a lot of PvE mobs too.  I now understand why "the legend" uses a chaos zwei.

However, chaos or lightning are also excellent on the large/great clubs, and some big axes.  For the largest of the axes or hammers however you need so much str to wield them that you're almost maxing scaling anyway, so elemental makes less sense there.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:04 am

Snetiel, a quick note about upgrades, stuff that can only be upgraded to +5 always need 10 scales/titanites
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:42 am

Hue wrote:Snetiel, a quick note about upgrades, stuff that can only be upgraded to +5 always need 10 scales/titanites
    And why are you telling me this, Huehue?
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 am

There is no single best greatsword.

Man-Serpent is best for strength builds, while the Claymore has the useful thrust.

The Moonlight Greatsword is only good if you're using a pure INT build.

I've never found the Artorias swords to be useful since you have to invest so much for something you could get out of any other greatsword, and you might have better R2s as well.

The Stone Greatsword has the useful TWoP effect but lower damage due to split damage, and the weight is a huge turn-off.

The Black Knight Sword will have high Damage(Especially when you're in the earlier areas of the game) but suffers from R2s that are terrible.

The Flamberge is more of a quality Dex weapon, but it has bleed and I've heard the R2s have good poise break, which can make it good for stunlocking.

At the end of the day though, there is no best greatsword, there might be one that suits your build best, but I don't know what the stats are on your build.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm