Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
RANT
Leet
megaoptamas759
Animaaal
kazumoshi
Soris Ice Goldwing
AnCapaillMor
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
LunarFog
Dibsville
Sentiel
15 posters

Help me choose a weapon

Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Help me choose a weapon - Page 2 Empty Re: Help me choose a weapon

Post by Sentiel Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeah RANT, that's the problem. I did.
    Played Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls, Sleeping Dogs, Uncharted 3, Hitman Absolution, Catherine, Mass Effect 3, Okami, Journey, LIMBO, The Cave and then went back to DkS. Now I'm playing FF XIV, but you can read my rattling about that elsewhere.
    Out of all current games, anything that I'm interested in is Last of Us, but have no cash atm.
    And there is not a single multiplayer game that I'm interested in. Most of it has nothing on Dark Souls.

So I spent all night PvPing in Burg.
    Got two hackers in one night. Epic....
    I did 10-20 fights with Dagger, Ricard's Rapier, Halberd, Scythe, Lifehunt Scythe, Claymore, SKSS, Flamberge, Claw, Pyro only and few randomly picked weapons. Some of these are very effective, but none of them were "fun" for me.
    Sorry guys. sad

Maybe I should listen to RANT and either try to find something else, which already failed, or just quit for the time being. Perhaps read a book. I hardly remember how one looks. lol!

Thank you very much for all your help.
    You're a great community. happy
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Do a PvE run. ;~;
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Dks is getting stale, i agree. Can't wait for Dks2.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm

the pierce shield is far from bad, as its attacks can block incoming attacks making it perfect for a leo ring build. and it hits pretty hard too.

or you could do this:
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=396838780162869056
    or this:
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=289424156407961293
    or even this:
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=404919313408484946
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Dibsville wrote:Pierce Shield.
     I give this my seal of approval.A random guy in PVP gave me one,I've killed ganks with it.The damage is rediculous and you can block with it of course.It's more viable than most of the weapons you've tried.

Also,I'm not disputing how boring it is but the halberd does not need to be used in two hands or to stunlock,it's bloody slow but pokes from a distance are how it is best used.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Dibs, I did over 30 PvE runs and had SL1 on NG+7.
    No more. Thanks.

Sparkly. I hate dual wielding. It's not practical. Also, only weapon I'm willing to dual wield is PGS for added bleed, fast parry and it's awesome against bs fishers.
    As I said, I'd like to get away from Rapiers.
    Did Flamberge. Unless you DA with it, Claymore is superior. Did both tonight anyway.
    No idea how to use Gargoyle Tail Axe. I tried in the past but all it got me was getting parried, or backstabbed. It might wreck low Poise builds, but those are rare and when they appear, they usually shoot a Dark Bead right in your face when you try something like this. I'll give the weapon another chance tomorrow, because I value your opinions, but I still think I'll get parried to hell.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Gargoyle Tail breaks 53 poise per hit and has insane reach, and being a hammer, it stunlocks extremely well.
    It's more of a pacing yourself type thing.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Garg tail axe only breaks 30 poise.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Never knew that. Not too surprised though, I thought Halberd broke 53 poise too until recently.

But either way, that's still enough to stunlock people who stop under 60 in two hits, same as before.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:00 pm

if you're bored why be "viable", the goal is fun and while most commonly obtained by winning, fun can also be had by using uncommon setups or just being weird.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Duel-wield Furyswords.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 am

Dibs wrote:
    Duel-wield Furyswords.

actually that ones rather fun, as they have nice range and look badass, another good one is demons spear and furysword as they both have the "shell" aesthetic and their movesets compliment each other well.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:23 am

Dibsville wrote:Never knew that. Not too surprised though, I thought Halberd broke 53 poise too until recently.

But either way, that's still enough to stunlock people who stop under 60 in two hits, same as before.
    I can do the same with Curved Sword and much faster.
    This is the reason why I have 62 Poise. It's a sort of fashion trend lately to take out Gold Tracer and start spamming it when somebody starts losing. This way, I can go and trade with 54 Poise guys and be sure to win, or just Poise bs them.
    I'm gonna give the Axe a run now. ^^

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:if you're bored why be "viable", the goal is fun and while most commonly obtained by winning, fun can also be had by using uncommon setups or just being weird.
    Once, I was dual wielding Notched Whips in Burg. I was surprised how many wins that got me. It was a long time ago though. Now, most guys I meet are skilled, know how to roll bs, da and if you try something funny, they'll just start bs'ing you.
    Of course I want to be viable. I'm not the type of guy who wants to use ridiculous setup and enjoy that one out of hundred victory. I want something I will find fun, but also something that is usable in PvP.

The example with Blueblood Sword was there to let you guys know what sort of things I enjoy, to have easier job helping me. I'm still inclined to go with SKSS, just because I love swords, especially one handed, but the damn thing is just too friggin's slow for me to hit anyone, especially since most people just roll around like madmen, waiting out to bs your, or flippin' flippers.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 am

Well, Gargoyle tail Axe proved to be entertaining, but not fitting my style at all.

I returned to SKSS and decided to check other Straight Swords for a bit.

Out of those, I only used BSS a bit, but decided to leave it, because there's so many people using and the thing looks like a royal toothpick. Then I remembered that Billy is maining the Broadsword.
    Damn, that thing is ugly, but I can understand why Billy likes it. I think it can Dead Angle with every of it's attacks, which is very useful. Not my kind of thing.
    Barbed SS was fun, but the thing does little damage and it's short.
    Dark Sword is like SKSS. Strong, but slow. However, it's R2s seem even worse than those of SKSS.
    I skipped Shortsword for the obvious reasons.
    Then I arrived at Longsword.
    :x
    This is the very first weapon I used in DkS and went back to it after hundreds of hours. It's damage is weak. I mean, Riposte worth of 500 damage is laughable. It may be due to it having C/C scaling and me having 16/45. 40/40 would be the best. Well, if I two hand it, the damage difference shouldn't be that big. It utterly destroys all flippers and low Poise builds, like nothing I've seen so far. One thing that I don't like is that fact that every other R2 I do does Dead Angle, like it, or no. :/
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:11 pm

recently ran into a longsworder in the township, dear god that thing combo's fast, 2h r2 into an r1 into another r2, good choice sent.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Well maybe you could find a way to avoid DA'ing with it. Funny thing too, I read through all the replies and was gonna suggest the Longsword, but you beat me lol.

You Dead Angle by hitting the enemy in a weird direction or something, yeah? So just hit them dead on in their face like I do lol. I've never gotten a DA by just hitting them normally.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:55 pm

You have to hit the enemy while not directly facing the enemy to DA.
    The problem with Longsword is that it's a quality weapon and I have a Dex build. To make up for it, I two hand it most of the time and try to open the attack to a R2, R1, R2 combo, but the R2s make you do a few steps forward. Since my opponent also moves, I end up being on the side of my opponent with my sword hitting his side and doing DA. It happens quite a lot and there's not much I can do about it.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:08 pm

I agree with your ideas of deadangling, however, with a shortish weapon, I have no problems for it.  I see it as skillfully getting around an opponents guard.

For WoG, Great Scythe, and other big sweeping weapons that you don't have to be point blank to dead-angle with, I'm with you.  If you can dead angle with longswords and broadswords and not be punished, all the power to you.

Have you tried fighting with a slow roll?  Try it out, it makes it really hard to win, but satisfying.  Slow Roll, no pyros/sorceries.

No idea if this will help, but I'll list the weapons I have a fun time playing with:
    Longswords, Broadswords, Sunlight Straight Sword.
    Bandit Knife (no bs fishing, only punishing when they make a mistake): try going up front or slashing them to death.  Harder than it sounds.  Most people just use it to roll bs or bs fish, but if you use it to straight up fight, its more entertaining.  Low damage, bleed, but punishes well.

Bastard Sword, Claymore.
    Zwei and Greatsword:  Greatsword is one of my favourites, but I normally only use them on mid or slow roll builds.

Curved swords I never find very interesting.  They just spam attacks.
    Katanas... boring to me.  Very good weapons, I just do not enjoy winning with them.

Server: now there's a fun weapon.  I don't remember if you tried it or not, and your STR only lets you two hand it, but it's a fun weapon to use.  Needs boss though (c'mon someone uprep my orange soap message!  It's clever, really!).

Gravelord sword is also fun combined with dung pies.  Toxic ftw.

Resins add variety, and spears (although considered easy mode) are only easy for a few of them: SKS, Demon, DragonSlayer and Moonlight Spear.  I've been trying to use things like the Partizan but cannot get the hang of the shorter spears yet.  Have you tried them?

Also, having a build around a concept that isn't that strong is fun for me.  I hate wearing disjointed armour just for the stats, and I cannot use any weapon I consider ugly; I can't use the demon spear, Demon Great Axe, Dragon King Axe, Smoughs hammer, dragon head/form.... I find they're all so damn ugly I can't stand to play with them.

I had a ton of fun (but little success) making a pvp "swordsman of vinheim".  Concept was to win using buffs.  Ool catalyst in both hands, Straight sword and either heatershield or target/buckler.  Buff with GMW (not CMW), shield buff, no dark magic... just utility spells.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm