Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
StiffNipples
IV_Mark_VI
RANT
Green__Eagle
Soris Ice Goldwing
LunarFog
drdrack
Elifia
Dibsville
nopseudoidea
14 posters

Fun PvE build ideas ?

nopseudoidea

Fun PvE build ideas ?  Empty Fun PvE build ideas ?

Post by nopseudoidea Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm currently quite bored of Dark Souls, and I'm trying to find a fun PvE build (I know that this is the PvP forum, but I didn't know where to post).

What I've already done :
     - glass cannon (melee, melee+faith, magic)
     - sl1 (melee & pyromancy)
     - karmic justice build
     - dual wielding (haven't tried dual smough's hammer though :razz:)
     - str/int, str/fai, pure caster, dex/fai, dex/int ...

What I don't really want to try :
     - challenge runs (parry-only, broken straight sword-only, bow-only ... shield-only sounds interesting but the pierce shield and the spiked shield look like "normal" weapons and it will probably feel like a simple elemental weapons/vit gouge build)
     - cosplay, be it of Dark Souls characters, or other games/movies characters
     - pure strength/dexterity builds

Is there something you could recommend to me ?
    Thanks in advance. happy
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Fun PvE build ideas ?  Empty Re: Fun PvE build ideas ?

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 pm

You can simply click the "Dark Souls General Discussion" part, the PvP area is just a sub-category.

I'd recommend the Bow only challenge. It's up there for being one of my favourite challenge runs that I've done. That and a SL 1 without pyromancy.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm

The answer is General Discussion:
    https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/f3-dark-souls-general-discussion

PvE doesn't have a devoted subforum, so like all Dark Souls related things without a devoted subforum, it goes into General Discussion.

You sure you don't wanna cosplay? Havel is a pretty cool cosplay. Also, you say you have done a glass cannon build, but have you really? So 8 vitality, cursed, dusk crown ring, red tearstone ring, power within and sanctus?
    nopseudoidea

Post by nopseudoidea Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Elifia wrote:You sure you don't wanna cosplay? Havel is a pretty cool cosplay. Also, you say you have done a glass cannon build, but have you really? So 8 vitality, cursed, dusk crown ring, red tearstone ring, power within and sanctus?

Cosplaying isn't my thing, mostly because I often use multiple weapons and armor pieces.
    And yeah, by "glass cannon" I mean "glass cannon". I made a build with 11 vit, a +15 PGS, a +15 Scythe and a +15 Lucerne, 99 faith, darkmoon blade, cursed, with dusk crown ring, PW and tearstone. I'm currently creating a similar build but with 99int and 99str for Manus Catalyst + Dark Bead, and I found myself quite bored while doing it ...

Dibsville wrote:I'd recommend the Bow only challenge. It's up there for being one of my favourite challenge runs that I've done. That and a SL 1 without pyromancy.
    SL1 without pyromancy was not that fun, except for the Gwyn fight (without parries) and the four kings.
    My problem with bow-only is boss fights. I fear O&S and the Four Kings with the dps of a bow ...

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:54 pm

nopseudoidea wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:I'd recommend the Bow only challenge. It's up there for being one of my favourite challenge runs that I've done. That and a SL 1 without pyromancy.
    SL1 without pyromancy was not that fun, except for the Gwyn fight (without parries) and the four kings.
    My problem with bow-only is boss fights. I fear O&S and the Four Kings with the dps of a bow ...

Oh but that's the great part. O&S and Four Kings are actually easier with long-ranged weapons.
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Dibsville wrote:That and a SL 1 without pyromancy.

Hohoho

Anther idea will be doing SL 1 naked, saw this vid yesterday on youtube

Edit: when i mean naked i mean just with the weapon

Last edited by drdrack on Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Try the black knight weapons.  Specifically their heavy attacks.

Or a bow/crossbow only build.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Bow and crossbow runs are fun to try and actually do make some bosses easier to fight. Then there is this spear only weapon against mobs I love doing.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:53 pm

I think my favorite challenge was the Caveman run; SL1, Club, Fire, and Plank Shield.

I think I used the Master Key to get my shield sooner. Ah, two-handing r2 attacks are quite satisfying. The very large upper body look was nice, too.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Fat roll run.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:58 pm

+1 for fatroll.

The most fun I've had with a character is my coop build.  Goal was to coop (as host) as much as possible through the NGs, so I settled on lvl 42.Looks like this:

25vit, 34end, 16str, 13dex.  No pyromancy, no magic, but access to plenty of weapons to keep it interesting.

Fatrolling can be fun, I had tons of it with a Tarkus cosplay.

I find magic of all kinds to get really boring quickly, but that's just me.

Do you invade much?  I know you want a PvE build, but invading is a blast.  Especially those 3 on 1s... so satisfying to beat them with just weapons, no magic.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 am

nopseudoidea wrote:I'm currently creating a similar build but with 99int and 99str for Manus Catalyst + Dark Bead, and I found myself quite bored while doing it ...

I've got a glass cannon hypermage with 50int and 40str using Manus catalyst and I currently get about 5800 damage out of it, you really don't need 99/99, but go for it big grin

Dibsville wrote:I'd recommend the Bow only challenge. It's up there for being one of my favourite challenge runs that I've done.

+1. Currently doing an SL1 Crossbow only run, whilst naked. Stuck on 4 Kings atm, but I'll get them. S&O took a while but once I worked out that Smough's Hammer blocks bolts, and if you shoot to quick after reloading you'll fire aimlessly into the sky, it managed to take down Super O.

nopseudoidea wrote:My problem with bow-only is boss fights. I fear O&S and the Four Kings with the dps of a bow ...

O&S and 4 Kings are hard, 4 Kings are harder imo because you have to use the Abyss Ring, so you sacrifice some DPS.
    Also I'll post a vid soon, but don't bother using the Leo Ring against them as it doesn't add counter damage to the boss health, just the number above the Kings head (the damage is whack).

Divine and Magic/Enchanted are best up until the DLC, where +15 is better.

I'd go Bow only before Crossbow only though, as with a Bow you can cancel the draw animation anytime, whereas Crossbows you get stuck in the reload animation, which is 95% of the time where you'll die.
    +'s of Crossbow is you can use a shield, +'s of Bow is you can manually aim and draw cancel.
    gronbek

Post by gronbek Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 am

Hardcore run meaning no deaths.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 am

+1 for Hardcore run. I haven't finished mine yet but it's been the more fun and the most tense run through since my first one.  

If you want that feeling like you had during your first playthrough do a hardcore run. No limitations other than if you die you delete the character and restart.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:20 am

I tried starting a bow only run last night, after I beat gargoyles and was working my way through the depths I got sick of it. It's just a giant test of patience, there is no "challenge" the only hard part is putting up with the hassle of taking a few shots at every big rat.
    Muker
    Muker
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Muker Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 am

Pacifist run: can only kill bosses.  

(not sure if you can run past the AL archer)
    nopseudoidea

Post by nopseudoidea Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 am

As I said, I'm not really into challenge runs, I know I wouldn't appreciate a "hardcore mode" run (and would die by falling off a cliff after three minutes while switching items like I always do tongue).

Try the black knight weapons.  Specifically their heavy attacks.

I have done a BKH-only run and a BKS-only run. I have played a lot with BKGA too, the only one I haven't tried is the BKGS which simply seems like a slower version of the BKS.

Pacifist run: can only kill bosses.  

(not sure if you can run past the AL archer)

You can parry him without riposting, and after five or six parries he'll fall down. Unless pushing an enemy off a cliff counts as killing it. But it's the same problem : it's not a build, simply a challenge run ... Same for fatroll.

SL1 Caveman sounds fun but not that different of a simple SL1 run (I used the reinforced club 99% of the time). And I'll give a try to the bow/crossbow run. Can you use greatbows too ?

Do you invade much?  I know you want a PvE build, but invading is a blast.  Especially those 3 on 1s... so satisfying to beat them with just weapons, no magic.

I got bored of PvP. I'm bad at it, I almost never fought another build than dex/int, str tank or dark bead spam ... I find co-op much more entertaining.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah took me a good long while to get good at PvP.  Best advice: becomes a lvl50 Dark Wraith, and just invade like crazy.  If you're invading from beside a bonfire (upper bonfire at sens, tomb of giants, catacombs, etc) there's no penalty for losing.  Just keep invading, keep trying and you'll get better and all of a sudden you'll be saying toyourself "Wow, THIS is what Dark Souls is also about!"

It really is a blast.  To get you going, look up Counter Backstabs and Parries on youtube.  I think Vegeta311 does both of those instructional videos.  Then team up with a partner to train a bit if you want, or just start invading.

I started in the forest; so frustrating.  Dark Wraith would be a better idea.  If you want help with a starter build let me know.
    Boogerwood
    Boogerwood
    Casual
    Casual

Fun PvE build ideas ?  Empty "Ultimate Knight" Build for PvE

Post by Boogerwood Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:43 am

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=226849367780677053

I've found CosPlay to be a LOT of fun in DS.  It's often a mini-challenge because you are limited in gear and tactics.  

Here's the basics of a recent build: I consider Solaire and Artorias to be the coolest knights in the game.  So I am currently in the middle of a build that plays Solaire during NG, then Artorias in NG+.  Unfortunately, that means killing Solaire when you first meet him.  Oh well.  It will also require me to kill Sif as quick as possible in NG+ so I have his soul to create BOTH key pieces of Artorias' gear (shield/greatsword) when I get to Anor Londo.  To my surprise, it's been more difficult playing as Solaire in NG than I anticipated mostly because his weapon does crap for damage!  Then again, I'm trying to do things that I really should that early WITH such a weak 

I also have a Geralt of Rivia build that's fun and challenging: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Geralt

Enjoy!
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm

On your build, Bellowing does nothing.  Just sayin'.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm