Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Dibsville
SadPanda
6 posters

Please Have Greatbows Return, or Better, GREAT CROSSBOWS!

SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Please Have Greatbows Return, or Better, GREAT CROSSBOWS! Empty Please Have Greatbows Return, or Better, GREAT CROSSBOWS!

Post by SadPanda Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:32 am

To be honest, the greatbows didn't get enough love in Dark Souls. And the Sniper Crossbow was a love that could have been...

If anyone from FROM (laughing) is reading this, for the love of God, please. Who's with me? Well What is it
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Please Have Greatbows Return, or Better, GREAT CROSSBOWS! Empty Re: Please Have Greatbows Return, or Better, GREAT CROSSBOWS!

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:19 am

But Sniper Crossbow is so OP.
    We can't let the secret out, it will become too common. D:
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Please Have Greatbows Return, or Better, GREAT CROSSBOWS! Empty Re: Please Have Greatbows Return, or Better, GREAT CROSSBOWS!

Post by SadPanda Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 am

Dibsville wrote:But Sniper Crossbow is so OP.
    Prostration Please tell me you're joking...

Last edited by SadPanda on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:39 am

SadPanda wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:But Sniper Crossbow is so OP.
    Prostration Please tell me you're joking...
    Good, just play along like it's terrible.

Keep them in the dark. Smart... 

Good job catching that spelling. :3
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Great crossbow?  A ballista shot from monster hunter?  I could go for that.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Already looks like Monster Hunter...
    You see that Greatsword swing?

If that's not a copy, than it's a damn good reference.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Dibsville wrote:Already looks like Monster Hunter...
    You see that Greatsword swing?

If that's not a copy, than it's a damn good reference.
    If it has support skills like monster hunter(bomber+ / StatusUp) Then I'll be perfectly ok with that.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:28 pm

I'll be fine as long as it's not too much like Monster Hunter...
    Looking at it now, it's like it's slowly shaping into MH...
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Dibsville wrote:I'll be fine as long as it's not too much like Monster Hunter...
    It was always similar enough for me to compare it to monster hunter "but way quicker oaced and with lock on" since Demon Souls.  I don't think we have too much to worry about with dark souls becoming monster hunter.   Although the combination of the two would be pretty intense.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:00 pm

I don't really care how big crossbows they're going to make. I just want to be able to aim with them properly lol
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:14 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:I'll be fine as long as it's not too much like Monster Hunter...
    It was always similar enough for me to compare it to monster hunter "but way quicker oaced and with lock on" since Demon Souls.  I don't think we have too much to worry about with dark souls becoming monster hunter.   Although the combination of the two would be pretty intense.
    Well just look at Dragon's Dogma. That games a mix between most of the best RPG's out there. SotC, MH, it's a masterpiece...

VERY underrated in my opinion.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:15 pm

SadPanda wrote:
    LunarFog wrote:
    Well just look at Dragon's Dogma. That games a mix between most of the best RPG's out there. SotC, MH, it's a masterpiece...

And yet I still haven't played it. ;_;
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Dibsville wrote:
    SadPanda wrote:
    LunarFog wrote:

And yet I still haven't played it. ;_;
    Damn it Dibs, get it together.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Want Dark Arisen so bad.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Dibsville wrote:Want Dark Arisen so bad.
    I'm getting that when I switch over to PS3 in a couple of months. Probably have 150 hours on the original.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 am

its worth it, trust me, DD Da is a ton of fun, the bitterblack isle is more fun than the main game imo!

as for mega crossbows, I believe the Chinese had ones that had to be spanned using the archers legs to push the string into position, maybe something like that but just has a high str req so you can use your hands instead, unless you twohand in which case you could set up as an immobile turret with faster reload than one handed...
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Gogo power within + red tearstone + cursed + dusk crown ring --> sniper xbow.

Line that up carefully with binoculars on the stationary ganker waving at you in the forest, and laugh if you get a headshot.  I have never tried this, but it would work in theory.

Seriously, they need to make xbows aim-able.  I am happy that at least in Dark Souls you could upgrade them and they could be used somewhat; in demon's souls the xbow was 100% worthless for anything but pulling.

as for mega crossbows, I believe the Chinese had ones that had to be spanned using the archers legs to push the string into position

Historically, the strongest 1-man xbows require that + cranking it to pull the string back, then setting the bolt.  The reload time was immense, but the force was great enough that it could pierce through chainmail and most other light metal armor and kill someone pretty easily (not so good vs true platemail or lamellar).

A faster and still plenty-lethal version was the one you stood on and used both hands to draw, then set the bolt.  That loaded pretty quickly by comparison, but still longer than in-game versions.  This is probably like the xbow version of a greatbow and should be used.

Lighter crossbows didn't have the same kind of force.  Chinese repeating xbows are quite old actually and had "clips" of like 10 bolts (!), but traded away so much power to be able to shoot rapidly that they couldn't get killing force on their own (these bolts were typically poison-coated).

There weren't many practical versions like dark souls represents, where the reload was so fast and relatively simple.  By contrast, however, most xbows could put forces well beyond anything a bow would achieve, excepting the longbows where people trained basically their whole life to use them (those had more range).

Xbows, like spears and perhaps even more so, are among the most heavily underrated weapons in gaming when compared agianst what they actually did in history.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm