Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Green__Eagle
Seignar
drdrack
Encore
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
steveswede
skarekrow13
Sentiel
Emergence
passivefamiliar
crbngville2
Dibsville
densetsushun
18 posters

Dark Souls is officially a buzzword

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Dark Souls is officially a buzzword - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark Souls is officially a buzzword

Post by densetsushun Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I hope to hell not, but if Namco Bandai has its way it might just ring true.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Dark Souls is officially a buzzword - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark Souls is officially a buzzword

Post by Animaaal Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Lol @ denset.

I know what you mean. big grin

But I meant when they made FF7.  When they were in their creative prime and kickin a$$.

I think FROM is starting to have that "go to rpg" vibe in the current western culture.  I'm happy for them.

I guess I'm just hoping Dark Souls 2 =/or > FF7 and Demon's Souls 2/Dark Souls 3 =/or > FF9...if ya know what I mean.

Also, I can't remember if it was Square-Enix at that time, or just Square.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm sorry Animaaal, I don't quite get the parallel you're trying to draw. FF7 and FF9 are quite different in the way they approached the games.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:48 pm

A Column I'm thinking about starting on Tumblr, Prepare To Read. Someone has to take initiative on this difficulty thing, figured I might as well do it. Rough Draft is here, tell me what you guys think:

Prepare to Read:

If you have a problem with it, Skarekrow, I have no problem taking the hot sauce analogy out of it.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 pm

IMO, the hot sauce reference is not needed.

Perhaps, in closing, you could submit the opinion of the elation of success after several defeats (because the player learned how to beat the boss). The player feels superior because they learned how to beat the game.

Also, perhaps you should mention the player vs. player aspect which pits your intelligence and skill against fellow humans.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 am

My personal attraction too the souls series isn't difficulty at all, cause honestly i don't think either are all that hard especially after a little grinding, but the vast amount of freedom they provide. I stumbled upon ds browsing through the cheap games at game-stop and got it for like $17 i had no idea what to expect but the first things i saw that i liked and are still my favorite things about the game is how you have complete control over the advancement of the character i can have a mage wearing heavy armor or anything else i want. the second was the kinda retro vibe i got from it like it was all a puzzle and you just had to figure out a strategy for all the different baddies cause just charging in rarely worked, and i know a lot a people probably wont like this but i think finding those cheap ways to kill bosses magic spamming the tower knight from the wall, finding the spot wear the flameluker cant get you, casting plauge on old king dorran while hiding were just as much a part of the beauty of the game as anything else, again finding those things and the puzzle/ discovery aspect. in dks i feel that they were able to keep these things while enhancing or replacing aspects so it still felt similar but new. I felt making the whole map being interconnected and a kind of puzzle was the best thing ever, i felt it vastly added to the exploration appeal. I thought not having a carry capacity was also cool and shifted the gaming experience a little it was less which is better to have with me and more i gotta find it all, and it makes modeling my armor collection easier lol. I think the last thing i want to mention about both these games that is so appealing is how pretty they are, the armor is all awesome and unique, the weapons are cool and they all work with the surroundings to make in my mind the prettiest games around. and finally it's kinda cool that its perceived as hard so i feel that much cooler bragging about how good i am to all my friends.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 am

Slarg.....

PLAGIARIST!  

Nah, that's perfectly cool by me to use that reference.  Nice write up too, by the way.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:25 am

And for the record, I still love the Dragon God boss.  From a philosophical and storytelling view it's amazing.  And still less cheap than arcing your arrows with the white bow into the final boss.

I compare the Dragon God boss to Bed of Chaos; they're both capable of killing you very easily but require no stats or even an upgraded weapon to defeat.  However, Dragon God is much more fair.  His attacks were based on him seeing you and you had some visual cue as to how to react. 

By comparison, Bed of Chaos is the only true fake difficulty in Dark Souls...a true example of trial and error gameplay with a somewhat-long trip to retry.  It's the only pure in-game design flaw I don't like about the game (I feel their net code is quite bad too, but that's more a technical issue than a flaw in design).

What a lot of people will miss when they say "like DS" is that the vast majority of both games ARE fair (IE real difficulty), that the games are helped somewhat by grinding but completely non-dependent on it, and that the controls are seamless and excellent.  Difficulty is the game's popular calling card, but it wouldn't even be playable if its mechanics/balance/controls weren't so excellent.  Square couldn't possibly replicate it without losing a chunk of their fanbase on such a game; DS is not so given to hand-holding.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:09 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Slarg.....

PLAGIARIST!  

Nah, that's perfectly cool by me to use that reference.  Nice write up too, by the way.

Sweet, thanks.

I'm adding in one more paragraph, then I'll repost it here for one final overview, and then will upload it on my shiney new tumblr.

Spoiler:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:36 pm

And here's Borderlands going back to the Dark Souls well...

Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:46 pm

Did the Noobkiller REALLY just do the "Well What is it?" pose before that fight?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 am

It appears he did.:razz:
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:57 am

Borderlands 2 already had a Dark Souls reference/easter egg, and I feel this is more of a throwback than what this thread is about(other devs comparing their games to Souls because of difficulty).
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:36 am

I know about Borderlands' past Easter Egg and I know that this video doesn't exactly "fit" the thread but I wasn't going to make a thread just to post this video and Random Off-Topic wouldn't have been appropriate either. This was just the closest thread I could think of to post this, because it is just another example of the continued latching onto the Souls brand by the wider gaming market, even though this had nothing to do with Souls re: difficulty.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am