Exceedingly odd experience

Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Exceedingly odd experience

Post by Ghadis_God on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:58 am

So I was invading the forest today, and happened upon a lone host wearing just the wanderer's set and equipped with nothing but a bow- nothing on the offhand or back. Seeing as I was a glass cannon sort of build I couldn't afford to rush him down or wait him out (PW and all), and so I started the usual unlocked sprinting, weaving back and forth while closing the distance to avoid a hit, when he headshots me midsprint, for around 500 damage. Of course, I keep sprinting, this time unlocked and in a wide circle around him while closing in. He lands another headshot, quickly and without missing a single arrow, killing my fragile build. 

My question: How? There's very little possibility that he got lucky with autoaim twice in a row, but is it even possible that he managed to practice his bow skills enough to land consistent headshots on an unpredictable fast moving target with manual aim? I also consider the possibility that he was using some sort of aimbot, but I have no experience with them and couldn't tell you how that would be possible either. Thoughts?

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Re: Exceedingly odd experience

Post by Dibsville on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 am

After doing a bow run myself where I was forced to stay human, I can honestly say he's just had a lot of practice with it. Manual aiming is very easy to manipulate.

Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eko on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 am

As far as I am aware there are no aim bots for Dark Souls. It could be he just got very lucky or that he is just genuinely good with bows. I had a few other odd experiences like that. I have been head-shot mid roll a few times and I felt rather confused.

EDIT: Dibs, I love your avatar.

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 am

It is possilbe to get good with manual aiming to achieve this level of aim. I wanted to do it myself, but gave up, frustrated over the flight speed of all arrow types in this game.

Shortly after doing a Bow only run, I learned to headshot manually, because I noticed that headshot stops all animations, no matter what Poise you have. Thus ending attacks, casting spells etc. without fail.

However I wouldn't use manual aiming on moving target. Even if I hit,t he arrow is slow enough for the target to raise his/hers shield and block it, or roll away. There's also a high risk of getting attacked, especially if you want to switch the bow away quickly from manual aiming, which can make you stuck in animation instead and making you a easy target.

The best way to use a bow unlocked is to 3rd person manual aiming, which is very hard to do and has even lower chances of landing a headshot.

I'd really love if bows would be done like in DD, cos they seriously suck in Souls. Mostly due to speed though.

Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:48 am

The other guy seemed very confident, I doubt it was luck. Like I said, it didn't even look like he had a backup weapon. I'm guessing it was just insane skill, and I had the misfortune of meeting a machine of a japanese player who could stomp me like a bug.

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

ringo_mogire_SZS
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:53 am

To counter bs attempts with counter bs as a bow user, it's best to have a weapon used for counter bs in the same slot as the bow, because that way to switch to a different weapon is faster.
    Also, he could've had Pyro Flame, or Dark Hand on him, which you can't see if you start to dual wield something else.

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:49 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb because my buddy is really good with a bow and here's why. 
    Maybe the guy you encountered likes to hunt in real life and uses a bow to hunt and somehow fit that experience into his game play.

Visit http://fextralife.com

subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 am

Some people are just good with the bow. I'll say from experience though that if someone charges you and swings on a run, if you are locked on and hit him/her with a thrown dagger midaction it automatically scores a headshot.

LunarFog wrote:"The Moon Pit" seems like someplace naughty I would go to see buff men swinging their junk.
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:30 am

From an avid bow user (mostly PvE though) he likely knew to: 

-Not change his shot elevation

-Realize you are coming for him and not anywhere else

When you're weaving, unless you want to waste a lot of time and give him plenty in return, you're not really that unpredictable with your movement.  

Pro Tip: At some point, you will return to center.  I'm betting that as you approached his center line, he released his shot

When you started doing a wider circle, you became predictable again.  Retain shot elevation, lead your movement.....release

His method relies on you giving him a movement he can read.  Your need to close in because of PW didn't help your cause.  Close the distance fast against a player like that.  Roll often but not regularly.  Sometimes right at him.  Sometimes maybe a quick juke but then close quickly again.  One missed shot and you will likely have him.

TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:43 am

His method relies on you giving him a movement he can read.  Your need to close in because of PW didn't help your cause.  Close the distance fast against a player like that.  Roll often but not regularly.  Sometimes right at him.  Sometimes maybe a quick juke but then close quickly again.  One missed shot and you will likely have him.

Unless you're afraid of chip damage (IE hyper mode or something), it is probably best to just charge him with the shield up.  He can aim all he wants, but bows can't dead-angle and you can block it like nothing.  Stop just a little short to make sure you don't get switch-stabbed or 2x black flame'd, but otherwise make the distance too close for a bow.

I do hate that about the bow; any attack from the front is blocked with pathetic ease.  At that point, the worst they can do is hit you with chip arrows (which won't do that much really) or poison you.

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Sounds like you got owned in the best possible way lol, I kinda wanna invade now too see if I can find him.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    IIdoneus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Here but there. In all places, yet only a few locations.

Post by IIdoneus on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 pm

After doing several bow only runs, one only using the compound and one only using the BBP I can say that practice makes perfect and it is very possible to become a skilled archer. Now if he was doin this with crossbows, THEN I would be suspect.

PSN: IIdoneus
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:08 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:From an avid bow user (mostly PvE though) he likely knew to: 

-Not change his shot elevation

-Realize you are coming for him and not anywhere else

When you're weaving, unless you want to waste a lot of time and give him plenty in return, you're not really that unpredictable with your movement.  

Pro Tip: At some point, you will return to center.  I'm betting that as you approached his center line, he released his shot

When you started doing a wider circle, you became predictable again.  Retain shot elevation, lead your movement.....release

I didn't charge him because of poison. Once my stamina regen is screwed from that I'll never catch a bow user. If I roll, he shoots me out of the end of the roll, that's much simpler to time than a manual headshot. He also didn't hit me as I returned to center, he hit me after i swerved to the side. And circling is easier from a manual perspective, but lockon will never hit me that way, so I guess I can confirm he was aiming naturally.

ringo_mogire_SZS
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Lol, he flipped my thinking.  Great work unknown bow master.  Instead of my thinking "he'll come back to center" he was thinking, "he's just gotta break from center again."  

I recommend rolls from my personal experience mixed with a juke or two to decrease your predictability.  Yes, he can shoot when you come out but he nailed you with two headshots which interrupt you.  He was able to get the head easier (not saying he wouldn't have anyway, sounds like he knows how to shoot) because you didn't make him think about elevation.  He only ever needed to correct his x axis to hit you.  Make him alter his y AND his x axes and you drastically increase his difficulty.

Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:27 pm

You should've checked his PSN / Gamer tag.
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:50 pm

Still in my PS3 somewhere I think, I vaguely remember it. Wasn't anyone famous on twitch or the forums.

ringo_mogire_SZS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content