Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
xenon_nobelium
roanispe
Jansports
SirArchmage
Eko
Leet
10 posters

Breaking down and making a spear build.

Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Breaking down and making a spear build. Empty Breaking down and making a spear build.

Post by Leet Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Anybody have suggestions? Spears are one of the only weapons in Dks i haven't used. They've just never interested me. But seeing as i HATE spear users (my kryptonite) i figured if i make a spear build i can better understand how to counter them. This build will primarily be for formal duels in the burg. Sl120 - 125 would be nice.  

Suggestions? Proper Bow
    Eko
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Breaking down and making a spear build. Empty Re: Breaking down and making a spear build.

Post by Eko Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:57 pm

I don't ever make spear builds, but I threw this together as a sort of starter spear build.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=157681579456061645
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Breaking down and making a spear build. Empty Re: Breaking down and making a spear build.

Post by SirArchmage Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:36 pm

I have never used a spear build, but I have heard horror stories of things like this.
    http://mmdks.com/2skf
    Back-flipping spear user with speedy pyromancy and a bow. You also look badass, which is always nice. And staying at a great invasion level too. Not sure if having a normal one with those stats or lowing the level and sticking with an elemental spear would be better.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 pm

http://mmdks.com/2skm

120 END gauged Dex/Pyro. Makes great use of the SKS, can swap DWGR for Leo BDCR Wolf's ect. 

http://mmdks.com/2skr

100 Faith Mage. Use the MLBH / Sorcery to keep people at a safe distance, When they get overly agressive throw a bead or wog in their face. Keep a Chaos Rapier / Demon spear around so you don't get stonewalled by GMB. 

http://mmdks.com/2skt

130 overleveled Host/Dorkmoon. Same basic plan as above, keep them out and frustrate them with the DSS, when they get too agressive drop the WoGs and go for tickstabs. The build also functions well as a Quality Buff build so if you get sick of spearing you can grab a claymore or halberd slap DMB on it and have some fun

http://mmdks.com/2skx

SL 12 Which Should be able to in theory invade anyone in the game (+/- 10 + 10% levels thats 11 levels down(sl1) and infinity up) Simple plan, poke poke and Pyromancy from the offhand. It's inability to safely take a hit from any real builds make invading high level areas a great sort of practice for spear turtling. Since it's possible you'll die in a single hit and you wont be killing them very fast at all.

Good luck and happy Spearing
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 am

Red Eye Orb invasions only go 10% down, not 10 + 10%. They are the only outlier from other PvP boundaries, which use the infinite and 10 + 10% to define themselves.
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:25 am

http://mmdks.com/2sol this is (or better yet was, as i never use it anymore) my spear loadout on my dex/pyro. 2hR2 can hit up to 800dmg with leo ring -_- dark hand is actually beneficial for its increased pushback, they wont be able to BS punish if you play a little smart. switch between 1h,2h, pyro, aggression and turtleing like a maniac. really shouldn't lose more than every 5th encounter
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 am

I've made several spear builds to test them out, and there's a few ways you could handle them.  I suggest you go down to SL 99, since it's almost impossible NOT to deal with diminishing returns at SL 120, but I'll make my example builds SL 125 for you.

There's 2 types of spear users, midrolling tanks(my personal favorite), and lightrolling roll-pokers(the more refined one).  In terms of pure effectiveness to the point of being cheap, I'd say midrolling is better than lightrolling.

http://mmdks.com/2sry - This is a solid build.  Demon spear is the strongest spear and you can block anything and poke back with the artorias shield.  If you're fighting a mage and have the time, menu swap to the cleansing shield.  Or you go on the defensive and make him use all of his spells before attacking again.  Use the avelyn for when people make space to run and heal.

Double handing the spear and alternating between spamming pokes and kicks will work wonders.  As long as you spam R1, you can't be backstabbed and people who do poise through your hits to bs will only do a phantom BS that doesn't do damage.  

A 2handed R1 will always result in a hit after you knock them back with a kick.

Another tip I would suggested is switching one of the rings for Lion ring, and the demon spear with the Silver knight spear.  If it ever comes to trading blows you'll almost always win.

Stamina regenerative items also help.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 am

If you want to be really trashy:

http://mmdks.com/2t5k

Take off 1 point of VIT and add 1 to STR if you want to use MLBH.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:05 am

Mid Rolling shares one of spears weaknesses, a problem with anything that can manage to outrange the spear (spells bows Xbows)

I personally can't stand being slower than fast roll when using a spear, flipping is a bonus but not a requirement.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:19 am

TooLeet wrote:Anybody have suggestions? Spears are one of the only weapons in Dks i haven't used. They've just never interested me. But seeing as i HATE spear users (my kryptonite) i figured if i make a spear build i can better understand how to counter them. This build will primarily be for formal duels in the burg. Sl120 - 125 would be nice.  

Suggestions? Proper Bow

You got a spear build, swap your chaos blade for the sks, use, get bored quick, go back to the chaos blade, job done.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:23 am

It's funny cause I once swapped my SKS for the Chaos Blade, got bored quick and was done.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:20 am

I hate spear users with a passion. I'll always carry a shotel just in case: 2-hand it, cast karmic justice and charge them down! It's 50/50 mostly but very satisfying. The ninja flipping ones are a pain so poison daggers and arrows are a joy for ranged attack.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:53 pm

robsthedon wrote:
    TooLeet wrote:Anybody have suggestions? Spears are one of the only weapons in Dks i haven't used. They've just never interested me. But seeing as i HATE spear users (my kryptonite) i figured if i make a spear build i can better understand how to counter them. This build will primarily be for formal duels in the burg. Sl120 - 125 would be nice.  

Suggestions? Proper Bow

You got a spear build, swap your chaos blade for the sks, use, get bored quick, go back to the chaos blade, job done.

you're right robs, didn't even think of that.

That demon spear build looks legit. Might give it a shot. Most likely will get bored with it like i do with everything else (except katana's) but we'll see.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm