Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Dibsville
Phoenix Rising
SlothAlmighty
Dr__Awkward
LunarFog
Conrack
Serious_Much
HereticForLife
Encore
WaffleGuy
A Fierce Plankton
15 posters

New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals

A Fierce Plankton
    A Fierce Plankton
    Casual
    Casual

New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals Empty New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals

Post by A Fierce Plankton Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Just one more gameplay analysis of someone who has played the E3 demo. A bit long, doesn't have big news, but here you go:

From what he said, poise, or more accurately, recovery animations, have been nerfed, being easier  to get combo'ed. Invicibility frames in general have been reduced, being more difficult to dodge. You can take damage and possibly get staggered during a backstab animation. Parries are more difficult to land and may knock down enemies, and ripostes apparently weren't in the demo. AI greatly improved, enemies charge and do running attacks while you heal, dodge more,change behavior depending on their and your health and how many other enemies are close, they can even even stagger then circle and backstab you. Combat also seemed too heavy, and he didn't feel dual-wielding was a huge improvement. 4 player multiplayer, as dks 1. Being able to warp between all discovered bonfires, apparently even at the start of the game, seems not to be just a demo feature and will be on the final product.
    Interview coming soon.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals Empty Re: New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals

Post by WaffleGuy Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:09 pm

What he talks about makes me happy, but also kind of thinking the game might be a bit too hard? IDK
    I hope they made the characters in the demo at least a bit underpowered like in the Japanese demo of DaS. And the backstabs are nice, but worry me in regards of gankers.Shrug
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals Empty Re: New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals

Post by Encore Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:11 pm

There is no such thing as too hard, only being too dark souls, and there is never too much dark souls
    HereticForLife
    HereticForLife
    Casual
    Casual

Post by HereticForLife Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:52 pm

New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals %23Music%26Atmosphere-%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B5-South-Park-Cartman-492211

After playing DkS for so long, I could just parry/backstab my way through most of the enemies. On the off-chance I got hit, I could just backpedal a bit and heal. Glad to see none of those things will be easy to pull off anymore. If covenants are done well, this might just improve on the original in all the ways we had hoped.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 am

The last thing I'm waiting on now is implementation of the online- whether they stick with covenants or create something new entirely.

I've been impressed with what's been shown, but till I get my own paws in it, ill have to keep a pinch of salt handy.
    Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Conrack Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:04 am

A Fierce Plankton wrote:From what he said, poise, or more accurately, recovery animations, have been nerfed, being easier  to get combo'ed. Invicibility frames in general have been reduced, being more difficult to dodge. You can take damage and possibly get staggered during a backstab animation. Parries are more difficult to land and may knock down enemies, and ripostes apparently weren't in the demo. AI greatly improved, enemies charge and do running attacks while you heal, dodge more,change behavior depending on their and your health and how many other enemies are close, they can even even stagger then circle and backstab you. Combat also seemed too heavy

Combat is what I was interested in all of the trailers and video make the game look weightless, which along with rolls has always ruined the experience for me, if it truly does have weight I'll be delighted. 
    as for I frames and poise, nerf those damn flippers and rollers, my knight shouldn't have to be screwed the instant a endurance build shows up and backflips to a backstab on me! (I'm wearing armor for a reason...)
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I hope there's teamkill with phantoms.  Not so that friendly phantoms can do damage to the host, but so that phantoms and hosts can still knock each other around.

That would help with the gank problem ALOT.
    Dr__Awkward
    Dr__Awkward
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Dr__Awkward Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:19 pm

The main thing I want to see in DSII is perhaps more depth to covenants (if they decide to keep covenants), and to not include useless covenants. Not that there are any useless covenants but ones that are less useful than others. Something along the lines of deciding what covenant to follow from the beginning and that has an indepth backstory. give ya a sense of belonging
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:06 pm

making back stabs and parry's harder?  damn I had a hard time pulling them off to begin with.  oh well, hopefully that at least means that will get parried and backstabbed less when invaded.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm thinking they will be more risk/reward. They will be harder to pull off but do more damage.
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:00 pm

what do you think about the new BS animation?

I don't really like it as much, looks more like they are just slapping them around a bit than a kill move. but I have a feeling the animation will be different depending on the weapon.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I think so too....should be interesting to see....I'm also dying to see what the parry animations look like.
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 pm

I read a comment about not being able to parry with the left handed weapon.  I think it will be like in DS1, where it depends on the weapon.  some weapons hand an L2 as block others as parry.  I think it will be the same in DS2.

I'm really interested in seeing a dual wield with a spear/sword.  in the trailers, they showed the character doing that in a cut scene.  looks like fun, just wondering how that would work.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:39 pm

I hope at least the smaller left-hand weapons will be able to parry, otherwise I won't be doing much duel-wielding...
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 pm

yeah, that would defeat the purpose of having a duel wield if you can't parry.  I think the developers get that.  I think what we saw in the E3 demo was just to give people a taste.  considering they have a bigger development team and more time to make the game, I think they will put a lot of thought into the details of game play.  I think they learned a lot from the first 2 souls game and will make every attempt to fine tune the game.

of course they can't please everyone, however I think they will take what they've learned and build a combat system that works.  they've already said they don't have the intention of making this an ongoing franchise, (ie DS8) so I think they will try to make this the best game possible and leave it at that.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:04 pm

....and from what I've seen they're doing a great job so far. I think part of the reason they chose a spring release was so they could spend a lot of time tweaking and polishing. I don't think I'll be disappointed with the end result at all. March can't come soon enough!
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:27 pm

I like to think they got my message about lunar magic and summoning and decided to push back the release date to add them in.

And a covenant in my honor.

Edit:  They're basically calling the game Lunar Souls
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:27 pm

HereticForLife wrote:New hands-on impression, nerfed poise, i-frames and criticals %23Music%26Atmosphere-%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B5-South-Park-Cartman-492211

After playing DkS for so long, I could just parry/backstab my way through most of the enemies. On the off-chance I got hit, I could just backpedal a bit and heal. Glad to see none of those things will be easy to pull off anymore. If covenants are done well, this might just improve on the original in all the ways we had hoped.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:00 am

I don't like the "Flurish" style backstabs. They seem even sillier than the chest piercing ones we've had for two games.

Dual Wielding still looks clunky and slow, when Dual wielding IMO you should be able to alternate hand actions more independent of each other. I don't have to finish what my right hand is doing to start a stab with the short sword in my left. Giving up the ability to block effectively and with some (or all) weapons the ability to parry Dual Wielding should have a Noticeable increase in offensive capability (as should 2 handing)
    Mishrak
    Mishrak

Post by Mishrak Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm

A Fierce Plankton wrote:
    From what he said, poise, or more accurately, recovery animations, have been nerfed, being easier  to get combo'ed. Invicibility frames in general have been reduced, being more difficult to dodge. You can take damage and possibly get staggered during a backstab animation. Parries are more difficult to land and may knock down enemies, and ripostes apparently weren't in the demo. AI greatly improved, enemies charge and do running attacks while you heal, dodge more,change behavior depending on their and your health and how many other enemies are close, they can even even stagger then circle and backstab you.

Oh man.  If all of that is true, then the game just got even harder.  So good.  Hit me again.
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 pm

I want better dual wielding sad

I love dark souls and all, but other than parry, there really is no reason to dual wield?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:50 pm

drdrack wrote:I want better dual wielding :(

I love dark souls and all, but other than parry, there really is no reason to dual wield?
    https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t20951-some-things-i-ve-discovered-about-duel-wielding
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 pm

I agree, a smooth dual wielding system would be fun.  also I hope they work on the combo attacks a bit to add diversity to battles.  I often felt like I was using the same two moves over and over again throughout the game.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 pm

There's a ton of different combos that you can use.

For example: R2 -> R1 can guarantee a stunlock combo on most weapons.
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 pm

yeah, maybe I'm just not imaginative enough.  I'm a pretty standard shield up, lock on, circle and attack style player.  with so much time till DS2 I prolly need to do another player through and switch up my fighting style.

the problem I have though is boss fights.  I can mess around and get fancy with normal enemies, but bosses tend to crush me and I revert back to my standard attack mode pretty quick.

for instance, how do you dual weild against the capra demon.  the dude drains most of my stamina when I block with a good shield.  I can't imagine trying to block with a straight sword, or god forbid try to parry while being eaten by dogs.

Last edited by SlothAlmighty on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 am