Weapon/Armor Durability- How it works

JamieJae
    Addicted
    Addicted

Weapon/Armor Durability- How it works

Post by JamieJae on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Not sure if this is already something that has been addressed but none the less, I decided to try and test out how weapon's lose durability during use as well as how armor loses durability. I'm not really how this helps, but I find it interesting and am curious what others think of it. (I'm putting this in general as I'm not sure where else to put it, If this has already being tested before I'm sorry)

So far all I have discovered is that if you hit an enemy of ANY type (mob or boss) you lose .1 durability. This means if I hit enemies 10 times I will lose 1 full point of durability. Hitting 20 enemies will make me lose 2 points of durability. and so on.

Next, I've learned any time you hit a wall and it "pings" off it you lose .2 durability. This means hitting a wall 5 times makes your weapon lose 1 point of durability. You also lose .2 whenever you hit an enemy with a shield like the spear hollows in the burg and ping of them with something like a long sword 1 hand attack. 

Your shield loses .1 durability every time it is hit by physical attacks, I'm not sure if elemental or magical makes this durability damage higher. Your armor also takes .1 durability damage every time you are hit, once again this is tested only with physical damage so far, so differences are very possible. 

In a bit better explanation of all this- A long sword starts with 200/200 Durability. If I hit 9 enemies the durability still shows 200. My belief is that it lowers by .1 every hit so after 9 hits it is technically at 199.1/200 durability and the game rounds the number up to 200. On the 10th hit of an enemy the durability stat number will lower to 199/200. It is either that or your durability with a weapon is actually 200.9/200 at its max and after 9 hits it will lower to 200/200 so the next hit brings it down to 199.9/200.

This is the data I've collected so far. I'm planning on doing more tests soon, any feedback/help in testing would be appreciated

*UPDATE* I am so confused by the variables I'm getting when hitting walls- sometimes im getting .1 or even .3 durability loss, however 17/20 times it is .2 durability loss so it might just be operator  error. I doubt this though because every hit I make "Pings" off the wall

Last edited by Insane21 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Weapon/Armor Durability- How it works

Post by LunarFog on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Well I have no feedback, but this is actually pretty interesting.  I always assumed durability worked something like that but never knew for certain.  You should find out if backstabs lower durability or not.  Because if they dont then....crystal bandit's knives will be my new best friend.

JamieJae
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by JamieJae on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Just tested backstabs and ripostes, They both seem to do .1 durability damage on each

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:06 pm

You made my head hurt...pony06

Fancy new feature, this:
    Nice thread, very informative. +1

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 pm

The best contribution I can make is to submit that repair powder restores 100 durability points.  I wouldn't even bother mentioning it, but I saw a stream where a very experienced and skilled player used durability powder 3 times on a washing pole (the WP has 60 durability, so you never need more than one sprinkling).  This page has a breakdown of all the weapons complete with durability values.  I also made a list of all the weapons with special attacks...

The Usual Suspects for repair powder:

Moonlight Greatsword: 300 durability (1-handed R2 uses 20 points, 2-handed R2 uses 40 points)

Dragon Slayer Spear: 300 durability (1-handed R2 uses 20 points)

Channeler's Trident: 240 durability (2-handed R2 uses 80 points)

Stone Greatsword: 800 durability (2-handed R2 uses 200 points)

Obsidian Greatsword: 350 durability (2-handed R2 uses 50 points)

Golem Axe: 600 durability (1-handed R2 uses 30 points)

Grant: 600 durability (2-handed R2 uses 200 points)

Dragon King Greataxe: 400 durability (2-handed R2 uses 50 points)

Last edited by Hugh_G_Johnson on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : WP has 60 durability, not 80 like the Iaito & uchigatana)

Messengers of Velka proudly allied with: The Exiled  Coffee! MoV Chat Coffee!
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:35 pm

havels shield's buff consumes 300 out of 500 durability to add to Hugh's list above, I think the crystal ring shield consumes like 5 or 10... also how fast does acid surge break gear?

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Look Skyward Of course!  Shields!  I knew I was forgetting something... The crystal ring shield has 120 durability and the L2 consumes 4 durability points.  And quoting the wikidot page someone caught in acid surge "will have their weapon and armor durability reduced by only 8 points."

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

You do realize that this wiki has almost the exact same information.

In other words, this wiki says 1 durability point and it lasts 8 seconds.

This wiki also has a complete breakdown of weapon durability, it in the...uh....weapons page?!?!
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Greatly informative. Good to know how your durability acts.

But I'm curious because I recently noticed that a Crossbow loses durability on shots that hit absolutely nothing. Is there a reason for that?

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:46 pm

@ Animaaal: Yes, I realize all this information is available but it's not all on the same page.  And you can see why I posted it in... uh... the second sentence of my first post.  I even said I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it... Look Skyward If you're dissatisfied with the content of my post(s) I'm heartbroken, rolling eyes but I'd like to point out to you that your post contributes nothing but negativity.   And you can also find that... uh... just about anywhere?!?!

For any innocent bystanders: sorry, but that's the 3rd time he's done this to me personally and I've seen him do similar stuff to other people all over the forum.  It seems especially ridiculous to me for someone with well over 18 posts per day to chide me for what he apparently regards as a frivolous post with a low-content flame.

@Dibs: A crossbow never 'hits' anything itself, so for it to wear like a sword does when you hit a rock with it is kinda weird to begin with.  But, anything with moving parts will deteriorate over time and with use.  So, I would say it makes sense for it to lose durability just by shooting.

JamieJae
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by JamieJae on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Hmm I need to test ranged weapons more extensively as well as blocking with a weapon while 2 handing 

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Well sorry you feel that way.  I don't see what is so wrong with what I said.

For any innocent bystanders....

The other wiki practically wasn't finished with the original content until the dlc came out... if that tells you anything.  Which is a crying shame because it was around long before this one, and had a few really bright and polite people there.  Also, the forum banner still says Demon's Souls.  I constantly, or rather used to, find inconsistencies all over that wiki.  I think it's prolly straightened up by now, but one would be wise to reference this one as opposed to that one.

The resources are available here, and are probably much more reliable.
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks for this, I started doing some durability tests a long time ago but never finished it. I did a few tests today to make sure I remembered what I found back then correctly. Most of your data is correct as far as I can tell.

I have a few points to add though:
    -Blocking with a weapon has the same durability loss as when using a shield.
    -Hitting a wall sideways (without the weapon bouncing off) will not drain durability.
    -Durability loss is hit based, not swing based, so if you hit 3 enemies at once you lose 0.3 durability.
    -Barrels and crates have the same effect as enemies (0.1), and as above: hitting 5 barrels at once will drop durability by 0.5 points.
    -The East Wood Grain Ring halves durability loss for weapons, but also for shields and armor (all equipped items).

But when testing durability a big problem arises when doing repairs. This applies to bonfire repairs and repair powder, I have not tested blacksmith repairs and the repair spell, but I assume they act the same way.
    -Dark souls always rounds the numbers upwards, so 199.1 is shown as 200.
    -Repair will only repair whole numbers, so if you repair a weapon with 178.3 the repaired weapon will have 199.3 durability, but it's displayed as 200.
    -You can even damage a weapon more after it hits 0 durability.

So a newly repaired weapon can lose 1 durability point after the first hit if the actual durability post repair is 199.1. Keep this in mind if you do more tests.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 am