So this smurf sent me home...

    Share

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:11 am

    Please read.  I'm not making fun of the mule, only a player.

    So I'm farming Quelaag for fun, and also because farming chunks in the kiln is boring.  I've been seeing CONSTANT action there, and I wanna soak it up before I go to sl 55 and start a new toon.  At sl 33, I figured I'd see more action in Anor, but that's not the case.

    I have base everything except for 16 int, and 25 vit.  So, short sword, dagger, and heater shield it is  right?  I just now put on my RoFaP because Gwyn and Kalameet are the only things left.

    As I was saying.  The very distinct blue smurf summons me for Quelaag.  I usually say, "Hellooooo..." and bow or prism stone and pray, but in this case I *shrugs*.

    So we're on our way, and of course I'm running circles around him.  I only put on the BDCR for NG pluses, but never the CoD.  You get the rusted ring with the mule right?  Even if not, why wouldn't you just go get it with a mule?

    I always jump on the egg guys, or smack em with my cat because its funny.  This guy though, is rapid fire blocking at me, doesn't bow, walks right in, and even shortened the cut scene (I only do it incase there are kids in the room). 

    Aaaaaaaand there's beautiful.  I run up and whack her with love like always then begin to get my spacing so I can cycle through my castings.  But this time.......I decided to make a prism trail to the other door.  It wasn't obnoxious or anything, just one stone every 20 ft or so???

    Then I heard the sound.  I thought to myself, "what the hell do you need me for here anyway? lol".  Of course the guy isn't very new.  If he was one-shotting the crabs, spaced away from Quelaag enough to FIND his black crystal (you know it wasn't equipped) and send me home without dying....he wasn't a noob.

    Then I asked myself....why the heck is he waiting for phantoms at Quelaag?  Isn't it much MUCH faster running solo when using a mule?  Don't you kinda have everything?  I mean I'd go to 120 right when I got to firelink.  Why would someone waste time summoning???

    It obviously wasn't out of kindness, because if I woulda made some prism stone stuff....I mean that's funny right?  Maybe I coulda surrounded her with stones before she died. It's the very least I could do for her....I mean I have seen her.....uh.....ya know.

    I sent the host a message that said:  lol. I need souls as much as you need chunksxD.  why even ring the bell? just curious.

    I haven't looked to see if he's responded yet.Shrug

    And I've obviously never made a mule, so forgive the ignorance.

    Thanks in advance, Bow


    Last edited by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : structure x 2)

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:39 am

    lol, hasn't replied...oh well. Shrug

    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 274
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-06-08

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Raikan007 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 am

    wow, that made no sense to me in the slightest
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Sentiel on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:34 am

    dafuq did I just read?

    avatar
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1282
    Reputation : 102
    Join date : 2013-02-11
    Location : Shayol Ghul

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by AnCapaillMor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:39 am

    I got blood coming out my nose and ears affter reading that.


    _________________
    PSN: AnCapaillMor

    PC:AnCapaillMor

    XBOX: I'll give you 2 guesses
    avatar
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 42
    Location : Dark EngeLando!

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Halicarnassis on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:50 am

    I think I'm confused Ani! What Chunks are you farming in Blighttown? Whats the BDCR, where did you find a cat from and when you said you base all your stats bar VIT and INT, what class did you start on so we know what the remainder of  you stats are?  Where you dropping prism stones in the boss fight?
    Sooo many questions! I need a dictionary/thesaurus to translate lol!


    _________________
    DMB vs SLB.. results here -  bit.ly 153iRJV
    PSN ID: Halicarnassis Twitter: @Halicarnassis
    Tweets by @Halicarnassis

    LunarFog wrote:"The Moon Pit" seems like someplace naughty I would go to see buff men swinging their junk.
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Sentiel on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:02 am

    And this kids, is why you should never do drugs.

    avatar
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 42
    Location : Dark EngeLando!

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Halicarnassis on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:07 am

    cheers @ Sent


    _________________
    DMB vs SLB.. results here -  bit.ly 153iRJV
    PSN ID: Halicarnassis Twitter: @Halicarnassis
    Tweets by @Halicarnassis

    LunarFog wrote:"The Moon Pit" seems like someplace naughty I would go to see buff men swinging their junk.
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Reaperfan on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 am

    So, in layman's terms:

    Doing Quelaag co-op for fun.  Summoned by someone who appeared to already be very experienced at the game due to them having abnormally high-level gear for the average player at that level.  Decided off of that assumption that there was little risk to the fight and so started goofing off a bit by throwing Prism Stones around the boss room.  The host then sent you home.

    About right?

    If so, he could be treating summons like I usually do.  While I don't necessarily need the help for the boss, I realize you're looking for your share of fun too and so will summon you to give you something to do because I know it's not fun to stand around waiting to be summoned.  That said, I still expect you to be dedicated to the run and to help me beat the boss, because if you don't then all you've done is actually made the boss harder for me by increasing it's health.  So from his point of view, you've been summoned by this guy who was trying to help you out, and in return you run around seemingly doing nothing to help.

    I personally wouldn't send you home, but I would be a bit miffed that you just wasted my time, because, as you said, being an obviously experienced player I could've handled that more efficiently on my own.  So my hospitality in wanting to be a bit social during the game was turned back around on me.  Maybe you've been playing so long that normal play isn't fun for you, but remember; when doing co-op, you're supposed to be there for the host, so when in a random someone else's world, don't be doing weird stuff "for the lolz."


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 25

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Elifia on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 am

    I'd just like to point out that blue does not equal mule. Only 2 of the 10 mule characters are blue, and a lot of people make blue characters just because they think it's funny.


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!
    avatar
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1111
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-10-28
    Age : 24
    Location : Belgium

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by WaffleGuy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:46 am

    I summon people because I like doing areas/bosses with other people, not because I need to. Might be the same for him :razz:


    _________________
    XBL: DayWafel

    [21:01:43] WaffleGuy : The average Hart is a majestic f*cker

    I invade people with a fat egghead and give them stuff  :red-orb:
    Need help with a low level? I can help players with SL 1 to 28, 36 to 66 and 90 to 120 biggrin

    My Pokémon doodles: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t24431p15-cute-pics-and-other-adorable-things
    avatar
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 42
    Location : Dark EngeLando!

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Halicarnassis on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:33 am

    Also some people just need you to clear the rubble before taking on the boss themselves. Happens to me sometimes; getting sent home as soon as you reach the fog gate.


    _________________
    DMB vs SLB.. results here -  bit.ly 153iRJV
    PSN ID: Halicarnassis Twitter: @Halicarnassis
    Tweets by @Halicarnassis

    LunarFog wrote:"The Moon Pit" seems like someplace naughty I would go to see buff men swinging their junk.
    avatar
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 985
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2013-04-22

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by twigsterxd on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:54 am

    Never had it happen to me but I don't get why people do it. If you're doing nothing to help, then ya, send them home. But, if they actually doin something, I find it ignorant. If I drop my white and kill 50% or more, sending me at boss fight is rude. If I only wanted 2k souls, I'd just farm.


    _________________
    Announcement:
    Support the Dark Souls Wiki:

    Visit http://fextralife.com

    subscribe, have fun, keep the site going

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 am

    I did kill Mildred, and the guy was one of those half-naked maroons...so.....???

    Thanks, but uh..no one has answered the question/s.Shrug
    avatar
    Frank Poole
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 36
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-08-27
    Location : orbiting Jupiter

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Frank Poole on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 am

    Honestly, don't pity summon me. If you don't need my help, don't touch my sign. You're not doing me any favors. I'm patient and I can wait for someone who truly needs the help.


    _________________
    The Demon's Name Is Surveillance
    avatar
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 42
    Location : Dark EngeLando!

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Halicarnassis on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 am

    Dude what was the question? Why summon you when he was just gonna send you home?


    _________________
    DMB vs SLB.. results here -  bit.ly 153iRJV
    PSN ID: Halicarnassis Twitter: @Halicarnassis
    Tweets by @Halicarnassis

    LunarFog wrote:"The Moon Pit" seems like someplace naughty I would go to see buff men swinging their junk.

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 am

    I don't think he intended on sending me home.  I just think he didn't think the prism stone thing was very funny.

    A couple points:

    -Actually not sure if we killed Mildred or not.  I forget, and posted that a little hastily.

    -I do remember  however, that he had on a waistcloth, gargoyle helm, and havel's hands.  Clearly a mule.  It wasn't ng+ or anything.  He also killed the spiders with one hit from his Zweh, no lightning, no fire...was prolly +15.  I can't remember his damage though.

    -He wasn't "blue".  Mules have a distinct incandescent, glowing like a prism stone blue.

    So the question/s is/are, why summon anyone if your making a mule?  Why ring the second bell?  Wouldn't most people  just leave the Burg open and/or go to the forest?  Couldn't you get to Anor Londo a lot faster solo?  Was he just going to make a Sen's griefer????

    The main argument for a mule is, "I don't have time for pve."  I appreciate that sentiment.  I have more time to play than most, and count my blessings for it everyday.  I've never hated on anyone making pvp toons.  I just don't understand the mentality of summoning someone if you don't have time to play.  Wouldn't it better A LOT easier to just level up and fast track it to your destination?

    Again, I've never made a mule and don't know its limitations.  So instead of look it up myself, I shall put my sign down, rely on you fine people, and post/read later.

    Lastly, I think surrounding Quelaag with stones before she died would have been quite awesome.  I would've appreciated that personally.
    avatar
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 985
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2013-04-22

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by twigsterxd on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 am

    I have MM on my offline acct. I can finish the game in less than 2 hours but to me that's just stupid. Most people who have MM, have it mainly to create their builds faster, (unless they are a ganker). If my MM was on my main acct, I'd probably summon people just for the co op. Having MM doesn't mean I want to finish the game faster. Also, depending on your sl, maybe the guy wanted your help because it was a low sl. But as you or someone posted, maybe the host didn't like you dropping the stones. Also, without ringing both bells, you can't open Sens. If the guy is a trophy hunter, you need to do a playthru cause MM is missing stuff.


    _________________
    Announcement:
    Support the Dark Souls Wiki:

    Visit http://fextralife.com

    subscribe, have fun, keep the site going

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:52 pm

    Reaperfan wrote:...About right?...

    Yep. big grin

    Reaperfan wrote:....So from his point of view, you've been summoned by this guy who was trying to help you out, and in return you run around seemingly doing nothing to help....

    I understand that point.  But I got Logan's Hat and said hello with a wood carving, so how exactly is he helping me out?  Especially in such a high traffic area?

    Also, it's not like I activated the boulder guys, or opened up the egg dudes.Shrug

    Reaperfan wrote:...I personally wouldn't send you home, but I would be a bit miffed that you just wasted my time, because, as you said, being an obviously experienced player I could've handled that more efficiently on my own...

    That's my point I guess.  Why summon anyone?  

    Reaperfan wrote:...don't be doing weird stuff "for the lolz.".....

    I shall never stop....NEVER!!!! twisted

    No seriously, I get it.  I know what you're saying, but was I really doing anything this guy hadn't seen before? *shrugs*

    Also, +1 for getting it.Bow

    Elifia wrote:I'd just like to point out that blue does not equal mule. Only 2 of the 10 mule characters are blue, and a lot of people make blue characters just because they think it's funny.

    Is that speculation or fact?  If fact thanks, did not know that. Bow

    Everytime I see that blue glow though, they're op'd for that level, and its a very distinct blue.

    Frank Poole wrote:Honestly, don't pity summon me. If you don't need my help, don't touch my sign. You're not doing me any favors. I'm patient and I can wait for someone who truly needs the help.

    I feel the exact same way.

    It's not like he couldn't tell I was geared up for the fight.  And also, I just remembered that she had 2/3 health when he sent me home.  So it's not like I was hindering him.

    And just one more time....WHO DOESN'T WANT PRISMS?!?!? Well What is it

    PS-Its not like I do that to someone with a Drake Sword.

    twigsterxd wrote:...(unless they are a ganker)...

    I guess that's the crux of the dilemma.  Did I get sent home by a future Sen's griefer?  If so, that's ironically funny. laughing

    Thanks for the rest of your explanation too. Proper Bow
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Reaperfan on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 pm

    Animaaal wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:....So from his point of view, you've been summoned by this guy who was trying to help you out, and in return you run around seemingly doing nothing to help....

    I understand that point.  But I got Logan's Hat and said hello with a wood carving, so how exactly is he helping me out?  Especially in such a high traffic area?

    It's nothing to do with how geared you are or how easily you can beat the area.  He's "helping you out" simply by giving you something to do happy

    Like I said earlier, alot of people feel the worst part of co-oping is waiting to be summoned.  You want to fight the boss, play with people, and generally be out there killing things.  But when you're trying to be summoned, you can't do much because if you leave the area your sign disappears.  So most people will drop their sign and then just stand around or AFK while they wait on someone to summon them.  As a host, since I hate that downtime so much when I try to co-op, I see that summoning as a courtesy to them.

    I don't really need the help, but I recognize that you want to be playing instead of standing around doing nothing, so I will help you out by making it so you aren't standing around doing nothing.


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:04 pm

    Okay, but I'm with Frank on this....don't do me any solids like that.

    Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you play that way and summon people for the sake of co-oping.  I do the same thing.  I like watching newer players die and resummon me 4 or 5 times and eventually get it right.  I mean, I can't block Quelaag's "WoG" now can I? lol

    Makes me feel like I helped, and that is good times to me.

    However, I didn't need the 10k souls.  I'm getting summoned apprx every 5-10 minutes... max.  At sl 33, waiting around isn't a problem for the second bell. 

    I've also showed people around, went and got the the firekeeper's soul, etcetcetc.  To me that's a courtesy to them, not the other way around.

    I see and appreciate your point, but I don't really share the same sentiment.
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Reaperfan on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:19 pm

    Animaaal wrote:Okay, but I'm with Frank on this....don't do me any solids like that.

    Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you play that way and summon people for the sake of co-oping.  I do the same thing.  I like watching newer players die and resummon me 4 or 5 times and eventually get it right.  I mean, I can't block Quelaag's "WoG" now can I? lol

    Makes me feel like I helped, and that is good times to me.

    However, I didn't need the 10k souls.  I'm getting summoned apprx every 5-10 minutes... max.  At sl 33, waiting around isn't a problem for the second bell. 

    I've also showed people around, went and got the the firekeeper's soul, etcetcetc.  To me that's a courtesy to them, not the other way around.

    I see and appreciate your point, but I don't really share the same sentiment.

    It's all about perspective, and how you associate hosts/summons with corresponding levels of experience.  My approach puts the host and the summon on equal footing, where your approach assumes the host will be less experienced than the summon.  Neither situation is really wrong, because while co-oping you'll inevitably find yourself dealing with both, it's just a difference in expectations when going into the co-op session.

    That being said, maybe I've been able to provide a little perspective as to potentially why this mule did what he did in that he just enjoys co-op play differently than you do?


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 pm

    Well I'll give you that one reaper.  I just assumed we were on an equal playing field.  I also want to clarify that I don't go into every summon thinking that way.

    For instance, this toon and Quelaag (which I'll be doing again later tonight).

    If someone is obviously new, I'll sacrifice myself without thinking about it.  I'll even try and lead them to the firekeeper's soul if they bite.

    On the other hand, if someone is just as good or better or whatever, I'll just follow them and do whatever they want.  They wanna go get the Server? Fine.  They wanna go get the Falchion? Fine.  Heck, I had a guy go talk to Sieg today.

    As far as enjoying co-op differently, I guess I can't say anything about that.  Obviously you are correct or I wouldn't have been sent home.  I just like to goof around with people that really don't need my help.  However, I did draw the agro before I started making my trail.

    I do know that most, not all, but most people enjoy a little shenanigans with their Dark Souls once and a while.  I've had people compliment me on "relighting" their bonfire with prisms before.

    Oh well, different strokes for different folks right?  Also, you receive my thanks.  Not only did you engage in the conversation, but you didn't instantly go to the "DON'T HATE THE MULE!" thing without reading, and managed to (to use your words) give me a different perspective.  I'm not changing how I play, and I still don't understand what was so offensive about what I did, but I guess I didn't realize some people can take a mule build a little too seriously...imo of course.

    Sponsored content

    Re: So this smurf sent me home...

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:38 pm