Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Share
    avatar
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 651
    Reputation : -23
    Join date : 2012-06-15
    Age : 103
    Location : The Abyss, tending to Kaathe.

    Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Derpwraith on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:43 am

    We all know that when Smough is killed first during the battle in Anor Londo, Ornstein appears before his corpse and expands to his size. But for me, I honestly think its more than that.

    Smough laughs during the battle occasionally, though it may be quiet, it is a distorted version of the Fat Official's laugh from Demon's Souls. When I was facing Super Ornstein, I realized that you can still hear Smough's laugh. So I was thinking, did Ornstein transfer Smough's soul into his body? It would make sense because Super Ornstein performs one of Smough's attacks.

    We know that Smough had always wanted to be one of Gwyn's best knights, So did Ornstein allow Smough to take control of his body so that he can become the knight he had always wanted to be instead of being the first to die in shame? I guess Ornstein may have respected Smough and had somewhat knew his pain of not being in the high ranks, for Smough was simply an executioner.


    _________________


                                                PSN: x_-Vizionary-_x

    avatar
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 210
    Reputation : 10
    Join date : 2013-03-13
    Age : 23

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Werdax on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:03 pm

    I rather not think as that being the case. Ornstein is an awesome badass. Smough is a joke.


    Last edited by Werdax on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2013-05-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Ohio

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Eko on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 pm

    The only reason I don't think that is the case is because when you kill Super Ornstein you only get Soul of Ornstein. If he absorbed Smough's soul then it would make sense for both to drop. It makes more sense that Ornstein absorbs Smough's powers rather than allowing Smough to take control of his body.


    _________________

    Sock

    Posts : 14
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-06-12

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Sock on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:30 am

    I'd say that Ornstein Does absorb Smough's soul before Smough actually dies, and from here two options are possible:

    1. The only reason you don't get Both their souls when defeating them is because of gameplay reasons and that the developers simply didn't want you to be able to create both their weapons in the same playthrough run, or

    2. Instead of keeping the soul as a seperate one (Like you and all npc's does with the souls of enemies they've killed, the souls that are later used as currency), he absorbed Smough's soul into his own, boosting his own soul. Like how when you sit down by a fire and level up, you take a certain amount of souls that you've gathered, and absorbs them into your own personal soul, making your soul stronger but without worrying getting influenced by the souls you absorbed.

    Personally, I go for reason two. One reason is because it's good lore-wise, at least for me, but also because it's quite a show of power to do a mid-battle level-up without the use of a bonfire silly
    avatar
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2013-05-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Ohio

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Eko on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:20 am

    I didn't think about it in those terms. Reason two definitely fits within the lore and sounds very plausible. It sort of makes Ornstein and Smough sound like Goku.

    The only problem I have with it is that there is no way to level up aside from using the bonfires. I know it is a really technical gripe. That's why it still seems more possible for him to have absorbed Smough's powers, thus draining his soul.


    _________________
    avatar
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 651
    Reputation : -23
    Join date : 2012-06-15
    Age : 103
    Location : The Abyss, tending to Kaathe.

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Derpwraith on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:34 pm

    Eko wrote:I didn't think about it in those terms. Reason two definitely fits within the lore and sounds very plausible. It sort of makes Ornstein and Smough sound like Goku.

    The only problem I have with it is that there is no way to level up aside from using the bonfires. I know it is a really technical gripe. That's why it still seems more possible for him to have absorbed Smough's powers, thus draining his soul.
    I think of bonfires as lesser copies of the first flame, perhaps Gwyn, his children and his army can consume the power of other souls through the first flame. That might be how the four lords rose to power and created the Age of Fire.


    _________________


                                                PSN: x_-Vizionary-_x

    avatar
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:45 pm

    OP, you're sure it's Smough who laughs during the fight?


    _________________
    I tiptoed through Hell and didn't break a sweat. I swam the Seven Seas and didn't get wet. I'm the pretty Big Chief you ever met.
    avatar
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1668
    Reputation : 45
    Join date : 2012-01-18

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Uparkaam on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:27 am

    It's obviously Gwynevere laughing.


    _________________
    GFWL & PSN accounts:
    GFWL: Rusty Patches
    PSN accounts:
    Uparkaam (main account)
    Dorkmoon
    Torch_Hollow
    Ravelord_Servant
    Gastro_Zombie
    avatar
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2013-05-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Ohio

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Eko on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 am

    I never noticed the laughing during Super Ornstein. I tend to pay more attention to the giant gold bad-*** coming at me at high speeds. I still don't see any reason to think that Gwyn's followers can manipulate souls in that way. No item descriptions suggest that sort of thing.


    _________________
    avatar
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 581
    Reputation : 20
    Join date : 2012-12-08
    Location : Anatolia, Land of the Rising Sun

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Djem on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:54 am

    I also never noticed any laughing.

    Sock

    Posts : 14
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-06-12

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Sock on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 pm

    It's true as a player you can only level up at a bonfire but that doesn't exactly prove that bonfires are essential for leveling up.

    As I said before, if you level up by taking souls and absorbing them into your own, making yourself stronger, then the bonfire doesn't have anything to do with it. And really, when you Do level up, in difference with kindling or reversing humanity, there is no interaction with the bonfire.

    Instead, it is treated like repairing gear or reinforcing it. You simply get your leveling up done and that's it. Personally I like to think that the reason you level up at bonfires is because that when sitting by one, it's the only opportunity for your character to rest, take care of his gear, and improve on himself. Everywhere else he's in constant danger of getting attacked (Lore-wise, even though you can stand still in-game after killing the nearest enemies without worry).

    However Ornstein, seeing Smough die, or Smough seeing Ornstein getting beaten to a pulp, gets backed into a corner and takes a large risk and grabs the other's soul, breaks it down, and 'levels up' with it (The same kind of risk you put yourself in whenever you drink an Estus flask or pop a humanity while having enemies attacking you).

    And for gameplay purposes, our character either doesn't react in time, or simply lets the boss 'level up'.
    avatar
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 651
    Reputation : -23
    Join date : 2012-06-15
    Age : 103
    Location : The Abyss, tending to Kaathe.

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Derpwraith on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 pm

    Sock wrote:It's true as a player you can only level up at a bonfire but that doesn't exactly prove that bonfires are essential for leveling up.

    As I said before, if you level up by taking souls and absorbing them into your own, making yourself stronger, then the bonfire doesn't have anything to do with it. And really, when you Do level up, in difference with kindling or reversing humanity, there is no interaction with the bonfire.

    Instead, it is treated like repairing gear or reinforcing it. You simply get your leveling up done and that's it. Personally I like to think that the reason you level up at bonfires is because that when sitting by one, it's the only opportunity for your character to rest, take care of his gear, and improve on himself. Everywhere else he's in constant danger of getting attacked (Lore-wise, even though you can stand still in-game after killing the nearest enemies without worry).

    However Ornstein, seeing Smough die, or Smough seeing Ornstein getting beaten to a pulp, gets backed into a corner and takes a large risk and grabs the other's soul, breaks it down, and 'levels up' with it (The same kind of risk you put yourself in whenever you drink an Estus flask or pop a humanity while having enemies attacking you).

    And for gameplay purposes, our character either doesn't react in time, or simply lets the boss 'level up'.
    Of course the Chosen Undead let them, he/she's a badass.


    _________________


                                                PSN: x_-Vizionary-_x


    Sock

    Posts : 14
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-06-12

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Sock on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:20 pm

    Sunbroski wrote:Of course the Chosen Undead let them, he/she's a badass.


    1. I agree with you
    2. How do I write outside someone's quote when quoting? >.>
    avatar
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4317
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2013-05-12
    Age : 20
    Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Encore on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:23 pm

    Sock wrote:
    Sunbroski wrote:Of course the Chosen Undead let them, he/she's a badass.


    1. I agree with you
    2. How do I write outside someone's quote when quoting? >.>


    You press the last button on the text editor "Switch text editor"

    It should show the code and make it look like this: [*quote="Insertnamehere"]The quoted part[/quote]

    Then write after the last "[/quote]"

    Remove the "*"


    _________________
    It is all like the repeating drip of thickening oil...

    Song of Myself

    Sock

    Posts : 14
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-06-12

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Sock on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 pm

    Sweet, thanks ^^

    Anyway back on topic, anyone else has a good idea of what it all can mean with Ornstein/Smough getting the other's power and how it happens?
    avatar
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4317
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2013-05-12
    Age : 20
    Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Encore on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 pm

    Sock wrote:It's true as a player you can only level up at a bonfire but that doesn't exactly prove that bonfires are essential for leveling up.

    As I said before, if you level up by taking souls and absorbing them into your own, making yourself stronger, then the bonfire doesn't have anything to do with it. And really, when you Do level up, in difference with kindling or reversing humanity, there is no interaction with the bonfire.

    Instead, it is treated like repairing gear or reinforcing it. You simply get your leveling up done and that's it. Personally I like to think that the reason you level up at bonfires is because that when sitting by one, it's the only opportunity for your character to rest, take care of his gear, and improve on himself. Everywhere else he's in constant danger of getting attacked (Lore-wise, even though you can stand still in-game after killing the nearest enemies without worry).

    However Ornstein, seeing Smough die, or Smough seeing Ornstein getting beaten to a pulp, gets backed into a corner and takes a large risk and grabs the other's soul, breaks it down, and 'levels up' with it (The same kind of risk you put yourself in whenever you drink an Estus flask or pop a humanity while having enemies attacking you).

    And for gameplay purposes, our character either doesn't react in time, or simply lets the boss 'level up'.

    I think this pretty much summed it up.


    _________________
    It is all like the repeating drip of thickening oil...

    Song of Myself
    avatar
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-25
    Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Marionx on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:09 pm

    That's an interesting idea with Smough possessing Ornstein's body after he dies. I have fought Giant Ornstein many times and noticed every now and then, he laughs like Smough, when he's doing the butt slam.

    Sometimes I find that Giant Ornstein picked up on a couple of Smough's traits in battle. Giant O. tends to be really aggressive at mid and far range, but timid and jumpy at really close range (which I find with Smough). Maybe it's a gameplay mechanic, but I don't know. To me, Smough seems to be the kind of character that would always want to take advantage of others. He always wanted to be ranked with the 4 knights of Gwyn, but his chance was ruined when he started eating people's remains and got fat. Why join them when you can take one of their bodies for yourself?


    _________________
    Psn: marionx
    avatar
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 651
    Reputation : -23
    Join date : 2012-06-15
    Age : 103
    Location : The Abyss, tending to Kaathe.

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Derpwraith on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:38 am

    Marionx wrote:That's an interesting idea with Smough possessing Ornstein's body after he dies. I have fought Giant Ornstein many times and noticed every now and then, he laughs like Smough, when he's doing the butt slam.

    Sometimes I find that Giant Ornstein picked up on a couple of Smough's traits in battle. Giant O. tends to be really aggressive at mid and far range, but timid and jumpy at really close range (which I find with Smough). Maybe it's a gameplay mechanic, but I don't know. To me, Smough seems to be the kind of character that would always want to take advantage of others. He always wanted to be ranked with the 4 knights of Gwyn, but his chance was ruined when he started eating people's remains and got fat. Why join them when you can take one of their bodies for yourself?
    Thank you!


    _________________


                                                PSN: x_-Vizionary-_x

    avatar
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4520
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2013-04-03
    Age : 20
    Location : Rolling in circles while reading manga

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Latitoast on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:22 pm

    So, to sum this topic up, when Smough is about to die, they do a fusion dance and become Super Smostein?

    If that's the case, does Smough's Hammer and Ornstein do a fusion dance when Ornstein goes down first?


    _________________
    Gamertag:Leon Kennedy85   LoL Summoner ID, Skype Username, Steam ID:Latitoast
    Current Covenants:Messengers of Velka, The Exiled of Ariamis, The Darkstalkers

    avatar
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 263
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-09-09
    Age : 22
    Location : England

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Peaceful Wollyhop on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 pm

    The way I see it is that Ornstein just used Smough's Souls the same way every other creature in the game does.

    Souls make things big in Dark Souls e.g rats so I see it that Smough's souls makes Ornstein. Smough's souls is just a lump of power strength in my eyes which is why it makes Orn bigger rather than boost his res stat.

    And for when Smough crushes Ornstein his hammer just conducts all the of Orn's lighting power.


    _________________


    XBLG - DesertFoX 797
    avatar
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 673
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-01-07
    Age : 25
    Location : Sunlight Shrine

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Ashran on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:05 pm

    smough hit op too hard with his hammer.


    _________________

    “There is real beauty in Dark Souls. It reveals that life is more suffering than pleasure, more failure than success, and that even the momentary relief of achievement is wiped away by new levels of difficulty. It is also a testament to our persistence in the face of that suffering. “

    Sponsored content

    Re: Super Ornstein is Smough possessing Ornstein's body?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:35 am