Demon's Souls Black Phantom System is back in DkS2?

Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Demon's Souls Black Phantom System is back in DkS2?

Post by Sargerus on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 pm

From polygon's preview

The game also appears to feature the return of a Demon's Souls gameplay mechanic: Black Phantoms of run of the mill enemies — as opposed to named Black Phantoms, such as Maneater Mildred — can appear out of thin air. In one section of the demo, a trio of Black Phantoms materialized, tossing two dreglings and an armored tortoise knight at the player at once.

Also, Mirror Knight can summon more than one minion in the boss fight
    Mirror Knight can summon a second ally through his shield and in the case of our encounter with the boss, called forth another knight with a different weapon. It's not clear just how many knights Mirror Knight can spawn or if their weapons are randomized.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4417986/dark-souls-2-e3-preview
    Fatneckwood
    Addicted
    Addicted

Re: Demon's Souls Black Phantom System is back in DkS2?

Post by Fatneckwood on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:03 am

What the article about the mirror night does is conflicting what with Namco Announced on the youtube trailer.

NamcoBandaiGamesEU 16 hours ago
    "Yep, this boss generate a shadow copy of your very own character...Creepy!"

If it generates a mirror copy of you then I don't see how the knight can keep summoning different knights with different equipment. Idk whats rumor or not. Maybe there's some miscommunication going on.

Xbox GT - FatNeckWood
    PC - FatNeckWood
    BackwardsBaboon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BackwardsBaboon on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:09 pm

This frightens me to no end. The black phantom squid-mages are one of the main reasons I STILL haven't managed to beat Demon's Souls!Prostration

PSN - BackwardsBaboon

Sanity Is Overrated!
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:18 pm

BackwardsBaboon wrote:This frightens me to no end. The black phantom squid-mages are one of the main reasons I STILL haven't managed to beat Demon's Souls!Prostration
    Latria 2 ;-;

Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:49 am

BackwardsBaboon wrote:This frightens me to no end. The black phantom squid-mages are one of the main reasons I STILL haven't managed to beat Demon's Souls!Prostration

Seriously? Antimagic shield, Moonlight greatsword and charge in - two swings on my SL120. Dealt with!

I just hope that there isnt world tendancy in play again. That was a little too complicated for platinum trophy - took me ages!

LunarFog wrote:"The Moon Pit" seems like someplace naughty I would go to see buff men swinging their junk.
    tofucactaur
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tofucactaur on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 am

i thought the world tendency was a pretty great mechanic that wasn't fully realized, but was onto a rad idea. I would love to see similar ideas with day/night/time cycles. Could be really great.

Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 am

YAY I love black phantoms!

Except for BP world 3 mages... bane of my life Prostration

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:25 am

A day night cycle would be much more welcome with harder demons at night - bit like Dragons Dogma

LunarFog wrote:"The Moon Pit" seems like someplace naughty I would go to see buff men swinging their junk.
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am

Dark Souls had run of the mill BPs spawn. Along with NPC BPs, Just like Demons Souls. The only difference is that the run of the mill BPs in Dark Souls where spawned by other players. 

THIS needs to come back in a much better and effective way. 
    I predict gravelord signs will come back and so will NPC BPs apparitions. :eye-death:
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Halicarnassis wrote:

Seriously? Antimagic shield, Moonlight greatsword and charge in - two swings on my SL120. Dealt with!

I just hope that there isnt world tendancy in play again. That was a little too complicated for platinum trophy - took me ages!
    LOL, not much should be a challenge with a SL120 in NG.
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:47 am

Fatneckwood wrote:What the article about the mirror night does is conflicting what with Namco Announced on the youtube trailer.

If it generates a mirror copy of you then I don't see how the knight can keep summoning different knights with different equipment. Idk whats rumor or not. Maybe there's some miscommunication going on.

You would actually be surprised at how little namco knows about the game. I will have to find the article, but it states the devs gave them the E3 build demo with a brief explanation, and that is about it, aside from what tanimura revealed during interviews with Takimura to translate. Namco is giving them free creative control, which is awesome of them considering how much they are investing.

I would take most of what we know so far with a grain of salt, as tanimura has also said on numerous mechanics that they were undecided whether they would be implemented in the game.

:stone-orange: "Your'e going the wrong way." Point Forward"Don't pay any attention to them. They're just False Alarms. You get a lot of them in the Labyrinth, especially when you're on the right track..."  :stone-orange: "Oh, no you're not." Look Skyward"Oh, shut up!" :stone-orange:"Sorry, just doing my job."
    ---- PSN: robert frost ----
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:34 am

DxV04 wrote:Dark Souls had run of the mill BPs spawn. Along with NPC BPs, Just like Demons Souls. The only difference is that the run of the mill BPs in Dark Souls where spawned by other players. 

THIS needs to come back in a much better and effective way. 
    I predict gravelord signs will come back and so will NPC BPs apparitions. :eye-death:

Yes. Gravelording was very underwhelming in darksouls. Alot of missed potential there. But on the some token, i still want more random black phantoms to. The character/world tendancy of demons souls was amazing, a little off the mark. But still amazing. I would really enjoy a polished version of it.

pony05  ...why is this here you ask? Its a dark world out there. Thats why.
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:46 am

Serious_Much wrote:YAY I love black phantoms!

Except for BP world 3 mages... bane of my life Prostration

Only a bane if you're dealing with BP Rydell and then proceed to the primeval demon in one go.
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Fatneckwood wrote:What the article about the mirror night does is conflicting what with Namco Announced on the youtube trailer.

Several sources have said that it will summon red phantoms.
    It was a very early source that said it would be a mirror of yourself. Then it changed to a copy of another player also online. Then to a copy of a player that had previously died to the boss, then to red phantoms. But Tak and Tanimura-san recently confirmed that it would summon red phantoms. Sorry I don't have the link handy, I think it was in a recent game trailers interview.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't trust the youtube guy too much, that guy will just be a community manager of some sort paid to create hype.

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:09 pm

The way i'm thinking is if it IS in fact a mirror copy of you, the game allows you to summon help so why can't your dopelganger big grin
    Also, in any game where you fight yourself, the evil you, NEVER plays by the rules LOL
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Sounds like it will have 2 summons.  One that is a NPC copy of you, and one that is a player-controlled invader.  I'd imagine the NPC one spawns first, because in the trailers we're shown that one of the summons actually breaks the shield, and if that mirror is what he uses to spawn them then it wouldn't be able to summon it after it's broken.

So basically, start boss fight, fight for a bit, it summons the NPC copy, then after either a certain amount of time has passed or you kill the copy it summons an invader and after that it can't summon anymore.  It could act as a pseudo time limit on the boss, incentivizing you to kill it before it summons the invader and ensuring that, should you beat the invader, you'll now have a relatively easy fight.

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am